Zone Alarm testing 1, 2,testing...

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all you good people

Have nuked Norton I/S 2006 AND got za going and nearly fine tuned!!

What a mission getting the former done.:bang:

If first impressions of Z.A. are anything to go by I will definitely buy the full version long before the 15 day trial is over.

Had 3 lockdowns on my fleebay account in less than a week so:bang: not the greatest Norton fan any more!

Cheers

This thing kick butt right into next week or it simply throws a grand entry:cautious: :D

It has found and nuked 20 or so worms and 2 trojans this morning!!

Maybe I should write a review...

:D (y)

You To Huh? I deleted Norton after this
Chris

Anyone else suffered (ing) from this little bugger?
smitfraud-c.toolbar888
All the on line help points towards SmitFraudFix**.zip****
(stars added to break the link)
but it just aint shifting it!
Spybot recognises it but won't shift it either
Any suggestions?
Ta

Well I finally killed the little bugger by running spybot / superantispyware & AVG
alternately then deleting the quarrentine items and re-booting after each clean out. each one seemed to take out a portion I only have a basic knowledge and was advised to do the above worked for me!
Norton can go screw itself!
That was running an upto date version when the $hit hit the fan! the little pop up to say that Norton had prevented an attack of / from "so & so"
was up and down like a tarts knickers before I had a chance to disconnect!
The Customer support at norton was really helpful. Norton showed "no infection and they thought that there was no problem when I finally got through to the thick skulled advisor that my PC was infected whilst an upto date version of there internet security was running she said "Oh you have a virus then thats not my department!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Well Chris I don't know if you have tied Zone Alarm yet but I am very impressed!!

No more Norton here I can tell you that!

Best of all was my Norton would not uninstall - I had to go and download a Norton removal tool:wacky: :razz: and:bonk:

Not wanting to burst your bubble peeps but if your gona use ZA as a firewall use the free copy only, like all the software things they now try to doo too much and do it crappily. ZA the full version gave and gives me all sorts of grief on networking and the spyware farce etc. I use NAV 2003 for antivirus (2004 - present runs slow gives loads of gimmicky bits and lots of grief with othe apps) and ZA freebie and no worries at all.

Thanks for the heads up(y)

Networking does not worry me much as I only use it for gaming.

Only apps I run full time on my laptop are CS2, 3G card with IE v7 and outlook so if this will work O.K. I will be very happy.

Am still fine tuning it but will keep a close watch for the next few days!!

Cheers

hi,
i had the same problem with Macafee, took for ever to get
it of my puter.
it was causing all sorts of problems, to the extent that i
had to have the putor rebuilt twice.
I now have AVG, & zone alarm free editions , and have
no problems.:)

Dave P.

Norton Internet Security is the worst piece of software written in the world ever....period.

I hate that nearly every PC and laptop comes with it installed now and PC World desperately try to make you buy it by cutting the cost by half.

I've never had anything but problems with it - it slows the PC down, it can stop the internet from working without any prior warning whatsoever and its caused more than one headache with me.

I used to use ZA a long time ago and loved it, it was really good, nowadays the firewall and NAT abilities of my router keep me safe whilst live onecare handles AV/Spyware/advanced workstation based firewall stuff - it was £34.99 for three workstations, which I thought was rather nice of MS for a change.

Norton have had to create several stand along uninstallers for their products because they refuse to uninstall themselves by the standard methods.

For AV I genereally recommend AVG Free and tend not to worry about firewalls past the XP2 version which is pretty nifty as long as you're not plugged directly into cable modem/adsl modem.

Just my opinion anyway

Norton Internet Security is the worst piece of software written in the world ever....period.

Its weird actually, I have been using Norton A/V or I/S since forever ( But changed to the updated versions yearly and updated those "automatically") I did have a minor issue with the 2002 or 2003 I think it was, but that was quickly sorted. It has been as good as gold since.
UNTIL NOW! the B'stard thing let in this smitfruad tool bar and several trojans all at once!
Spybot, AGV and AVAST! seem pretty damned good to me so I will stick with the free ones ( even if I have to pay sometime in the future)So
no more Norton, To quote you Matt, PERIOD!

I bet your system runs faster too now ;)

Mine seems to take a bit longer at first startup but then it runs well, not a great improvement but less glitches for sure!

live onecare handles AV/Spyware/advanced workstation based firewall stuff - it was £34.99 for three workstations, which I thought was rather nice of MS for a change.

Live Onecare trashed my machine , after I ran it my machine shutdown 10s after I logged on , even in Safe mode :eek: . I eventually had to do a XP re-install to fix it :crying:

Weird.

Running it on my main pc and two laptops, on XP for a few weeks, now all on vista, runs smooth as.

Weird.

Running it on my main pc and two laptops, on XP for a few weeks, now all on vista, runs smooth as.

It had all the hallmarks of removing something from the registry that my machine really really really wanted to keep :D

Just think.....one day us Mac users will have to ask questions like this !!!!

LOL....Just NOT this year....hehehehehe

Carl

Just think.....one day us Mac users will have to ask questions like this !!!!

LOL....Just NOT this year....hehehehehe

Carl

:razz: :razz: :razz:

If I could afford it I would have had a Mac LONG ago!!

Cheers(y) :D

Hi all

Just got rid of Norton, eventually, even the tool did not get shot of everything!!! Tried FSecure that failed to load properly so unistalled that and I have just started my 15 day trial of ZA. Seems OK, the only I have noticed is that the scans take for ever.

Hi all

Just got rid of Norton, eventually, even the tool did not get shot of everything!!! Tried FSecure that failed to load properly so unistalled that and I have just started my 15 day trial of ZA. Seems OK, the only I have noticed is that the scans take for ever.

BUT THEY WORK!!!

Take it from me as another Ex Norton victim!:bonk:

I had some serious hassles with my ebay account becoming compromised and at the first scan with ZA it nuked more than 30 worms and trojans.

Even now it nukes 5-10 bugs a day on average.

What on earth are you doing with your system to make it come into contact with 5-10 bugs a day?

:eek:

What on earth are you doing with your system to make it come into contact with 5-10 bugs a day?

:eek:

On the net 10-12 hrs every day...

Local IT guys told me that this was quite normal:thinking: :cautious:

Are you using ZA as anti virus or a firewall? If you're using it as a firewall and still getting 5-10 bugs a day I think you should up the protection on it. Either that or someone is deliberately targeting you.

Are you using ZA as anti virus or a firewall? If you're using it as a firewall and still getting 5-10 bugs a day I think you should up the protection on it. Either that or someone is deliberately targeting you.

:LOL:

I bought the full Internet security suite with fire wall and had it set to the most draconic security levels I understand:bonk:

Seems to be working fine so far and getting quite used to seeing the scan report saying these 5 or 6 items have been nuked.

Never had that with Norton...

If its a scan report and its saying the files have been nuked it means that the viruses are still getting in and are infecting your system. Is realtime scanning switched on?

I guess it could be identifying tracking cookies as threats and you're mistaking them for virii.

Next time it does a scan and finds something just copy and paste the results into this thread mate and I'll have a quick looksee for you if you want.

If its a scan report and its saying the files have been nuked it means that the viruses are still getting in and are infecting your system. Is realtime scanning switched on?

I guess it could be identifying tracking cookies as threats and you're mistaking them for virii.

Next time it does a scan and finds something just copy and paste the results into this thread mate and I'll have a quick looksee for you if you want.

I doubt whether realtime scanning is on...where do I find that cos I cannot recall having seen it yet...

Will do so, thanks...

All I do know is that it is mostly similar names coming up on the scan list...:shrug:

erm, I'm not sure if it has that feature built in. If it does, it'll be called realtime scanning engine or something along those lines.

Don't worry too much about it, a lot of the apps these days flag certain cookies that are fairly harmless and make a big deal out of them. We won't worry about it till you post up the scan log.

If you can remember any of the names of things that have popped up post em in here too.

erm, I'm not sure if it has that feature built in. If it does, it'll be called realtime scanning engine or something along those lines.

Don't worry too much about it, a lot of the apps these days flag certain cookies that are fairly harmless and make a big deal out of them. We won't worry about it till you post up the scan log.

If you can remember any of the names of things that have popped up post em in here too.

I have set it to update and scan every 24 hrs anyway and I haven't had my fleebay account bombed out in some time so here's hoping...

With Murphy in tow tomorrow's scan will most likely come up clean!

Cheers

Just finished scanning for the first time with ZA and all it found were the left overs from Norton, quarantine files etc. Anton I agree with Matt I don't think you should be getting 5-10 bugs a day. For firewall I have set it to high for internet zone security and medium for trusted zone so I hope that works. Useful thread thanks guys.Chris

Just finished scanning for the first time with ZA and all it found were the left overs from Norton, quarantine files etc. Anton I agree with Matt I don't think you should be getting 5-10 bugs a day. For firewall I have set it to high for internet zone security and medium for trusted zone so I hope that works. Useful thread thanks guys.Chris

Cheers m8

CALLING ON MR CHARLTON!!

Had a look yesterday and they are tracking cookies (?:thinking: )

So not too serious then, right?

Still, the amount of spyware (46 spies treated) in not as many days - cause for concern or shall I simply be happy as long as the machine works?:thinking:

Cheers

Anton

Well tracking cookies themselves aren't necessarily all that bad.

Did the scan find any new threats of are the 46 what its sorted out since you installed it?

Well tracking cookies themselves aren't necessarily all that bad.

Did the scan find any new threats of are the 46 what its sorted out since you installed it?

Yep, 46 since install...terrible or not that bad?:shrug:

tracking cookies are mainly going to be advertising stuff. Wont affect your computer in any way at all.
46 of them isnt really bad either.

just stop going on all them dodgy nude site you like :LOL:

:razz:

:LOL:

If your ebay account was hacked you should consider a stronger password.

Something with alphanumeric and upper/lower case.

Anyone who has a router and NAT (ie private address range) does not need a firewall on their PC.

Depends on what the 46 things were ;)

tracking cookies are mainly going to be advertising stuff. Wont affect your computer in any way at all.
46 of them isnt really bad either.

I don't know if they were tracking cookies or not yet mate ;) - he's not very forthcoming with the logs :p I reckon you're right about the nude sites.

If your ebay account was hacked you should consider a stronger password.

Something with alphanumeric and upper/lower case.

Anyone who has a router and NAT (ie private address range) does not need a firewall on their PC.

This man speaks sense :)

PCs on an internal network are theoretically invisible from the outside, all they can see is your cable/adsl modem and router. If you get infected with a virus on a pc that allows someone to take control of your machine though this becomes another issue. So firewall's aren't needed on PC's that are protected by a router (as long as you don't put them in the DMZ in the router setup) but every machine needs antivirus protection ;)

Back