Dark's 52 challenge for 2010. week6 - Present

Nice triptych for week 3. Full of colour, well lit and sharp as a button.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Fantastic colours in week 3.
I know that fruit was an obvious choice, but this is a really lovely twist on the theme.
I think it would be a bit more balanced if it was arranged with the third close-up shot in the centre . . . but that's incredibly pedantic of me :LOL:

I love the edit of week 2 too. Nice use of the dead space to the right.

EDIT : Just scrolled past week3 again. It really has some impact to it! Draws your eye right in :clap:

Great idea for week 3, fabulous colours.

I do wonder slightly what it would be like to have the whole kiwi in the first segment so you move from whole to sliced to close up (but not necessarily in that order), although I'm not sure it would have the same colour impact :thinking:

Great interpretation on the theme as well (y)

wow, I love the kiwi triptych.. vivid, lusciousness perfectly framed!

the poetry shot is gorgeous too.. look so beautiful when they are sleeping.. works very well putting the text in the space :)

Last edited:
Nice triptych for week 3. Full of colour, well lit and sharp as a button.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Fantastic colours in week 3.
I know that fruit was an obvious choice, but this is a really lovely twist on the theme.
I think it would be a bit more balanced if it was arranged with the third close-up shot in the centre . . . but that's incredibly pedantic of me :LOL:

I love the edit of week 2 too. Nice use of the dead space to the right.

EDIT : Just scrolled past week3 again. It really has some impact to it! Draws your eye right in :clap:

Great idea for week 3, fabulous colours.

I do wonder slightly what it would be like to have the whole kiwi in the first segment so you move from whole to sliced to close up (but not necessarily in that order), although I'm not sure it would have the same colour impact :thinking:

Great interpretation on the theme as well (y)

wow, I love the kiwi triptych.. vivid, lusciousness perfectly framed!

the poetry shot is gorgeous too.. look so beautiful when they are sleeping.. works very well putting the text in the space :)

Thanks for the kind comments :) Especially on this weeks, I wasn't sure how it was going to work out this morning! I think the triptych saved it.

Awww... bless... lovely shot for week 2 and fits the poem nicely.

The kiwi shot works very well, and is on theme. lovely colours and textures in there.

That triptych is really vibrant, caught my eye straight away. The detail in the right-hand panel is fantastic. I do like the way you have a curve following on from the left side of the middle panel to the right side of the left panel.

Having said that however, because the difference between the really close up kiwi on the right is so pronounced compared to the other two, something feels a little bit out of balance.

But I can't like the curve and not like the curve can I! So I'll shut up now, it's great! :)

That triptych is really vibrant, caught my eye straight away. The detail in the right-hand panel is fantastic. I do like the way you have a curve following on from the left side of the middle panel to the right side of the left panel.

Having said that however, because the difference between the really close up kiwi on the right is so pronounced compared to the other two, something feels a little bit out of balance.

But I can't like the curve and not like the curve can I! So I'll shut up now, it's great! :)

Looking at it again I agree it is a bit off balance. I was struggling for another interesting composition so we'll have to just stick with that! 3 close macros of different fruits would probs be more balanced so we'll save that for another time :)

I really like what you have done with the kiwi fruit - very imaginative. :clap::clap: It doesn't feel off balance to me as my eye scans L-R and is stopped by the large curve of the last image. Maybe you could just lighten that one a fraction, though.

OTOH your curves shot is making me dizzy! :D

Really like what you've done with WK2 by putting the poem alongside the baby (y)

As for chopped I :love: that triptych. The black framing against the vibrancy of the kiwi is spot on. I agree it's a little unbalanced but that doesn't detract from my enjoyment :clap::clap:

I really like what you have done with the kiwi fruit - very imaginative. :clap::clap: It doesn't feel off balance to me as my eye scans L-R and is stopped by the large curve of the last image. Maybe you could just lighten that one a fraction, though.

OTOH your curves shot is making me dizzy! :D

Really like what you've done with WK2 by putting the poem alongside the baby (y)

As for chopped I :love: that triptych. The black framing against the vibrancy of the kiwi is spot on. I agree it's a little unbalanced but that doesn't detract from my enjoyment :clap::clap:

Thanks guys :)

I originally had it against a white background and it just didn't work, so glad the black gives it some punch :) I think it helps bring out the blackness of the seeds.

Bruja unfortunately I can't take credit for the idea of the putting the poem in shot!

Week 4 - Street

Young_Dancer_by_DanLeach.jpg

'Young dancer' by Enzo Plazzotta outside the Royal ballet in London.

I went out to Covent Garden yesterday in the hope to get some candid street photography for the 1st time, however unsurprisingly it was heaving! Went out again this morning to no avail but stumbled across this street as I was walking past the royal ballet school and royal opera to take some snaps of the very funky bridge there (pics to come shortly!)

Last edited:
IMG_8332copya.jpg

IMG_8331copy.jpg

This bridge links the royal opera house with the royal ballet. Unfortunately the sky was a nasty grey this morning so I think B&W is the only way to go.

Last edited:
The "Young dancer" image gets my vote(y), that is a fantastic image, well spotted.

I do like the street picture
sort of reverse colour isolation (main in mono, background in red)
excellent capture! :clap:

That's a really interesting image for the theme. I thought it was a composite at first. The selective colouring works well and the statue really stands out. Like it a lot (y)

Thanks for the comments guys :)

I just wish some idiot hadn't decided to vandalise the 1st phone box! grrr. I might see if I can PP it out later.

I've got a few more where you can see a bit more street which I'll get round to processing later. Now I need to get the gym!

Not a great fan of selective colouring but think this works well. Love the close up of the bridge - got a thing about bits of buildings at the moment.

#1 for me.
Not a huge fan of selective colouring BUT in this instance it's not only justified but really makes for an image with some serious impact.

I just wish some idiot hadn't decided to vandalise the 1st phone box! grrr. I might see if I can PP it out later.

now, you see, if you hadn't mentioned it
no-one would have noticed! :nuts:

Some others from week 4 that didn't make the cut :)
I know some people won't like the selective colouring, I guess it's a marmite thing!

Phone_boxes_2_by_DanLeach.jpg

Phone_boxes_by_DanLeach.jpg

C&C welcome, be as harsh as you like it's the only way I'll improve!

The young dancer shot is a cracker, all those phone boxes in one place almost look photoshopped :LOL:. I wonder what would one of those other shots look like with just one box red :shrug:

(y)

Just reading your thread for the first time - and loving it. :clap::clap::clap:

You've pulled off the selective colouring shots really well - I might have to change my mind about not being too keen on it. :LOL: The baby in the peotry shot is totally scrummy and your picutre does him justice. The young dancer - just beautiful! Oh - and the bridge shots! The first one made me think I shouldn't have had a second glass of wine with dinner - very intriguing!

Fantastic first month - I really look forward to seeing next week, too. :D

Jean

1st time for me looking at your 52. Mus ssay, 4 wks, 4 great pics from you. Unlike a few others who have said they are not big fans of selective colouring, I AM, and I love your Wk1 and Wk4 pictures! Lovely poem and image for Wk2 and the kiwi picture is so good that I could almost taste them in my mouth!

Absolutely love the dancer shot1 :clap::clap::clap: The selective colour works really brilliantly here.

Well spotted. :clap::clap::clap:

(I don't think I would dare walk over that bridge.... :eek:)

Just reading your thread for the first time - and loving it. :clap::lap::lap:

You've pulled off the selective colouring shots really well - I might have to change my mind about not being too keen on it. :LOL: The baby in the peotry shot is totally scrummy and your picutre does him justice. The young dancer - just beautiful! Oh - and the bridge shots! The first one made me think I shouldn't have had a second glass of wine with dinner - very intriguing!

Fantastic first month - I really look forward to seeing next week, too. :D

Jean

Jean thanks for your kind comments.

1st time for me looking at your 52. Mus ssay, 4 wks, 4 great pics from you. Unlike a few others who have said they are not big fans of selective colouring, I AM, and I love your Wk1 and Wk4 pictures! Lovely poem and image for Wk2 and the kiwi picture is so good that I could almost taste them in my mouth!

Absolutely love the dancer shot1 :clap::clap::clap: The selective colour works really brilliantly here.

Well spotted. :clap::clap::clap:

(I don't think I would dare walk over that bridge.... :ek:)

I'm a bit of a sucker for selective colouring :D My shots so far have suited it really well so why not! I hope I might've converted a few people.

Love the Street shots, especially the dancer one. It's amazing what you can stumble upon when you're looking for something else. Selective colouring of the phone boxes as well really adds something as well.

I think Marmite is the expression we use, but I actually like these, the second one works for me better because
the balance between B&W, and the Colour is spot on - overall, a well taken photo. (y)

I wonder why they put opening of the telephone box on one side the others on the opposite side :thinking:

Excellent image with Young Dancer, well done. That's an odd bridge

The phone box shots that didn't make the final cut are all very good.
OK the concept of selective colouring on old style phone boxes is a bit of a cliche . . . but I secretly like it. And the fact that there are so many on these shots gives it a slightly different twist. . .

. . . then the Young Dancer image takes it to a totally different level again !!!
That one is just superb. I really, really like it. Well done :clap:

I like the funky bridge too. It's really fascinating, but it maybe doesn't say street as strongly as the other shot.

WOW, I really really like your week 4!
Such a strong image, the selective colouring works really well!
One of my favorite entries in the 52 so far (y)

Week5- Speed

Eye_at_night_by_DanLeach.jpg

slow shutter speed! Yes I know... couldn't come up with anything else, and I was lagging behind!

Does anyone have any idea how I can tone down the noise in the sky? No idea why its come out like that :/

Edit: A bit of selective levels adjustment seems to have fixed it. I guess the grain was where it was overexposed in the sky.

Last edited:
:agree: Lovely shot, but on theme... :thinking: doesn't really say speed... Maybe an even longer shutter speed to blur the wheel...

week 6 - present

A simple still life, may change by the end of the week but I like the simplicity.
C&C welcome

So do I - it is very appealing. I like the nice warm colourings in the wood as well.

Phil

Hmm just catching up with some of the other images in this thread - a 52 I seem to have missed so far. Some really nice images - love the dancer in front of the selectively coloured postboxes & nice trptych for chopped.

Phil

Lovely shot for speed but agree with the other comments, a longer shutter speed could of helped blur the wheel.

Nice simple shot for present.

(y)

Back