Clud17-52-2010 Wk 27 Art

Very nice Chris I too prefer the first one fits the theme a bit better. (y)

I was wondering what the second one would look like if you put it on an angle (right to left) does that make sense?

I like the thought behind the street shot and processing, something slightly different.

Nice twist on the theme, first shot works the best.

(y)

Loving all your shorts to be honest :LOL:. Curved is excellent. What a start to your 52. Really well composed, like it a lot. Poetry, very inventive too! Preferred the first, found the backround blended in a bit better for me. Really good idea though. Chopped is pretty good too. Nice take on the theme.

Street is quite a marmite shot. I'll be honest, I wasn't a fan of the processing until I read what you were trying to achieve. Then it kinda grew on me! I like what you're trying here. I don't think it fully worked for me, but it's still a good shot. Really like how you got the 3 people to line up from the right of the frame towards the left. Nice touch (y)

In regards to speed (and yours is the only I'll look at yet until I take my own :LOL:) I really love the first. Again, this might be a marmite shot, but I love that neutral tone with just that ping of red. There's a slightly distracting red light coming from top left, but nothing that detracts too much from it for me. Still a great shot! Curious as to what others will think of it though :D

First visit - sorry I;m late :)

Curved:Lovely shot, great water feature nicely cropped to a semi abstract if you see what I mean :)

Poem: Genius idea and a funny poem! Thanks for sharing the set up! Very good!

Chopped: yeah great idea but just doesnt quite work - the log segments look to fake :(

Street: Now that I like and it is very filmic! Love the focus on the one guy coming our way! That works!

Speed: Best of the crop - great detail, simple and effective composition - and meets the theme spot on :) (Don't they do 78 and 16 these days ;))

First visit - sorry I;m late :)

Curved:Lovely shot, great water feature nicely cropped to a semi abstract if you see what I mean :)

Poem: Genius idea and a funny poem! Thanks for sharing the set up! Very good!

Chopped: yeah great idea but just doesnt quite work - the log segments look to fake :(

Street: Now that I like and it is very filmic! Love the focus on the one guy coming our way! That works!

Speed: Best of the crop - great detail, simple and effective composition - and meets the theme spot on :) (Don't they do 78 and 16 these days ;))

thanks John for the positive feedback. as for the record speeds, even my 45 and 33 are out now, Vinyl is dying in place of CD decks now. I remember the 78's from my Grans but 16's wow never seen one of these, they played pretty slow then!

Loving all your shorts to be honest :LOL:. Curved is excellent. What a start to your 52. Really well composed, like it a lot. Poetry, very inventive too! Preferred the first, found the backround blended in a bit better for me. Really good idea though. Chopped is pretty good too. Nice take on the theme.

Street is quite a marmite shot. I'll be honest, I wasn't a fan of the processing until I read what you were trying to achieve. Then it kinda grew on me! I like what you're trying here. I don't think it fully worked for me, but it's still a good shot. Really like how you got the 3 people to line up from the right of the frame towards the left. Nice touch (y)

In regards to speed (and yours is the only I'll look at yet until I take my own :LOL:) I really love the first. Again, this might be a marmite shot, but I love that neutral tone with just that ping of red. There's a slightly distracting red light coming from top left, but nothing that detracts too much from it for me. Still a great shot! Curious as to what others will think of it though :D

thanks mate, the first month has been very enjoyable both with thinking creating and capturing. as for the street shot, i cant take much credit for lining the people up, this was pure luck:LOL: it is pretty fortunate though

Hi Chris,

I like your Street shot. I think the processing works well and as others have said, I like the one guy walking towards you vs the people walking away. More Blade Runner for me than Streetcar, but it works nonetheless.

Your first Speed shot is really good. Simple, and brief-fitting. Well composed and well lit although I would have liked more of a sense of movement in the turntable. Not sure how you'd go about that though, and to be honest, the red light on 33rpm says speed without showing it, so maybe I'll just shut up :) Certainly the second shot doesn't have the impact (for me) of the first.

Keep it up!

Ian.

Week 5 Speed
ok here goes for week 5, once again i had plenty of ideas for this one but didn't really have the time or tools to execute most of them, i started to struggle a bit and then it hit me. Every time i go out with my camera i have my mp3 player on, i love the pace of some fat funky deep house beats, around 120 beats per minute and i love mixing them up on my decks. So i approached the turntables once again (see week 2) and on went the vinyl at 33rpm, hence this image.

120bpm @ 33rpm.
4327945887_6dfea2e378.jpg
Clean, contempry... love it.

Terran

Like your speed shot - fits the theme, and a good interpretation of it! :)

Hi Chris,

I like your Street shot. I think the processing works well and as others have said, I like the one guy walking towards you vs the people walking away. More Blade Runner for me than Streetcar, but it works nonetheless.

Your first Speed shot is really good. Simple, and brief-fitting. Well composed and well lit although I would have liked more of a sense of movement in the turntable. Not sure how you'd go about that though, and to be honest, the red light on 33rpm says speed without showing it, so maybe I'll just shut up :) Certainly the second shot doesn't have the impact (for me) of the first.

Keep it up!

Ian.

Thanks Ian, have to laugh though, I wasn't trying for a 50's "streetcar", i was aiming for 70's Paris but 2019 LA will do if you think its like Bladerunner :LOL:

I like the street shot.. nicely processed and works for me..

the first for speed is fab.. nicely shot.. simple and very effective!

yup the turntable with the buttons hits the spot much better than the one showing the arm
nice and crisp too (y)

Missed your street shot Chris . . . sorry.

For me it's a yes to the PP.
Honestly, I really don't like street photography so the fact that you've done something different with this really makes it for me. It's added a layer of interest to something I would have otherwise found very dull.
Definitely a 70s French cinema feel to it IMO (even with Le Greggs in the b/g)

Speed : Definitely the first one for me.
Beautifully clean and crisp and bang on theme. Lovely lighting in it too.

Love it. Elegant, simple, great lines and, well, speedy!

Week 6 Present
I was a bit concerned about this one and wondered if it would be my weakest shot to date however, the cogs started to roll and i came up with an image that i think fits the theme.
One of the icons that has been present throughout my time in this crazy world is Queen Elizabeth II. She's on all currently issued stamps and coins and has been since 1953. My mind then wandered along the lines of past and present and this too seemed to work with the old stamps and the ever present Monarch. Just to add to the title, i slipped in a little play on words.

Post and Present Queen
4341868470_8e00ae7db2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Chris. The pp on the srteet scene works for me, a well timed shot. Ah the decks bring back some memories, I no longer have mine:crying:. Its a very crisp shot there and it fits the theme well(y)

thanks Martin, i have to say though i think i've used my decks more for photography recently than for making music, i must get back on to it. The one problem is all the photo gear im hoarding around them, lights, backing cards, props etc...

Hi Chris,

Have to say I like this very much. Depth of field, composition, "on-themeness" all spot on.

How did you work the lighting? Looks to me like you've managed to light the stamp in the tweezers separately. It really adds to the shot and I have to know - was it accidental? pp? or deliberate?

Ian.

Thanks Ian, its all lit with a strobe, off camera left defused and pointed straight up, i have a white ceiling so it probably bounced straight down and as the stamp is white it shows. the other stamps are at a slight angle so probably didn't pick up the light as much. Hardly any pp on this, a crop frame and i think a very slight burn to the tweezers.

im still learning about strobes and lighting and this 52 is helping me, so did i do it deliberatly?....no mate

That's another crackingly simple, but well thought out shot. I like it a lot.

Hi Chris,
Week 1: is very clear and sharp very nice.
Week 2: The words are powerful yet true:)
Week 3: Simple yet effective
Week 4: Just another day on the streets without a care in the world, nice capture
Week 5: Nice idea DJ liking the colour tones
Week 6: Past & present nice idea and subject

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
Present is very clever! Like it a lot, nicely done! Never thought of this one myself.

Spot on, nice composition, pin sharp and on topic. I'd be chuffed with this.

That's another crackingly simple, but well thought out shot. I like it a lot.
thanks, i think the simple approach often says more

Hi Chris,
Week 1: is very clear and sharp very nice.
Week 2: The words are powerful yet true:)
Week 3: Simple yet effective
Week 4: Just another day on the streets without a care in the world, nice capture
Week 5: Nice idea DJ liking the colour tones
Week 6: Past & present nice idea and subject
cheers for the feedback
Cheers
Chris

Present is very clever! Like it a lot, nicely done! Never thought of this one myself.
thanks, i like to think a bit deeper for my shots although sometimes im too clever for myself:LOL:
Hi Chris,

Lovely shot for present. Very clever and very nicely composed. The DoF is spot on for the shot and I like the way that you've focused the lighting on the main stamp.

Whatever you've used as a background works perfectly to bring out the colours too.

thanks Sarah, it took a couple of shots to decide which dof was better, i opted for f13 in the end and think this works pretty well. The back ground is a piece of coloured card from Hobbycraft, i have a couple and they are proving quite usefull

Spot on, nice composition, pin sharp and on topic. I'd be chuffed with this.
thanks mate, i am quite pleased with this result.

It works well Chris, a well thought out and executed image.

First flick through your 52, and really like all the shots. Have to say that your interpretations of the themes are top notch and not taking the obvious route with them, which is always one of the fun parts for me - seeing where everyone else's thought processes have taken them.

Week 7 People
This week’s image serves as a bit of a joker, I’ve just had bone graft surgery on my knee and as a result I’m pretty much housebound for a week or two. I was hoping this week’s theme would be achievable from home but “people” to me shouts of getting out and about and shooting people in their environments. I will therefore do a reshoot of this theme at some point in the year.

My idea for the joker came with my love of wordplay and also aided by a large helping of strong painkillers. I was sat watching the “Olym-pea-cs” and thought how competitive these little green buggers get. So I gathered up a few Bachelors and took them out to the desert for a tug o war. It was a great day and We had fun setting up the shoot. There was a fantastic party after the games but unfortunately the winners got a bit emotional and it all ended up a little mushy!

Pea Pull
4368108578_eb27f638a6.jpg

Last edited:
So I gathered up a few Bachelors and took them out to the desert for a tug o war. It was a great day and We had fun setting up the shoot. There was a fantastic party after the games but unfortunately the winners got a bit emotional and it all ended up a little mushy!

But... But...THEY'VE GOT NO CLOTHES ON!! Surely this should be NSFW!!!

Nice take on the Joker to be honest. I like your thinking, and at least it got your grey matter going along with the crowbar.

Enjoy your painkillers. Hope your knee gets better soon!

Ian.

Back