weekly Marsha's photo 52 2012 is complete. NSF Dieters!

Hi Marsha

Congrats on your job qualification , does it mean more pay , less hours :D

loved your description of taking the eye shot....chuckled all the way through:LOL: It's amazing how much detail you've captured in the Iris & the focus looks spot on to me :clap:

Joy.....with you on that one , can't beat a stroll along a beach , watching the waves crashing in whilst munching fish n chips :D Gotta give you a mahoooosive (y) for managing to combine 2 images...I'd never have guessed....top stuff miss'us :clap:

Straight....bloomin heck thats steep ! #1 for..straight down , straight tracks , straight roofline on the house...like it (y)

Small....#1 for me....great detail , good focus espcially given the breeze (y)

Congrats on your job qualification , does it mean more pay , less hours :D
Oh I wish, it just means I can sit and read a magazine when I'm bored now ;)

loved your description of taking the eye shot....chuckled all the way through:LOL: It's amazing how much detail you've captured in the Iris & the focus looks spot on to me :clap:

Joy.....with you on that one , can't beat a stroll along a beach , watching the waves crashing in whilst munching fish n chips :D Gotta give you a mahoooosive (y) for managing to combine 2 images...I'd never have guessed....top stuff miss'us :clap:

Straight....bloomin heck thats steep ! #1 for..straight down , straight tracks , straight roofline on the house...like it (y)

Small....#1 for me....great detail , good focus espcially given the breeze (y)

Thanks Lynne, the eye shot really bother me! I have bought some flash transmitters now as there are times when the built in wireless function doesn't quite get you the results you want!

As for merging two photos, it's actually quite easy, especially with this kind of shot as there are plenty of natural 'breaks' if that makes sense?

I took this yesterday but chose to watch the Olympic opening ceremony rather than edit photos!

Apparently shooting little figures isn't as easy as it looks! I used my 40mm (new) pancake lens for this as the macro was too long:bonk: I took a shot I was about to upload in grey cloudy conditions when the sun made a very brief appearance and cheered things up immensely!
These little people have little plastic bases, one gentlemen needed editing! Other that a slight crop, sharpen and basic tweaks this is as shot.

F16, 1/125sec, ISO 100, 40mm, reflector used.

All C&C welcome, my previous shots (especially small) are still feeling a little left out:( But I know we're all busy! I'm a week behind now, but will catch up when I can. Don't shoot me if I've not visited your thread for a week or two, I'm getting there!

Ok I actually took this first but wasn't going to use it, but in editing I've decided I really like the bold colours! This was on the wall outside some toilets in a restaurant, so I ran back with my camera, as you do :eek: :naughty:

F8, 1/40, ISO6400, 40mm pancake lens, hand held.

Last edited:
Desperately playing catch up, so sorry it's brief!

Straight - Lovely shot, particularly the first one. The angle is subtle, but can be inferred if you look.
Letter - I love those little guys! I also love how you've addressed the envelope, that's a lovely touch. Very nicely done!

Excellent work with catching up!

The eye shot is really great, very clean and clear.

Small - like both of these, #2 though for me I think. Nice image.

Straight - #1 says straight, another nice capture and on theme.

Joy - the sea does the same for me. I would have focused on te sea a little bit more as the shadow on the rocks keeps catching my eye. Lovely spot though for wave watching.

Nice one for letter Marsha (y)
The sun coming out, adding shadow to your image has given it depth.
A fun image and i think it tells a story, the little figures are a good idea too which I am sure will yield endless photo opportunities.
It is technically very good too, the bright white envelope still has all the detail even in the sunshine. I can't offer much crit as I think its perfect as is :)
Keep going with your catch up, I am sure you will be back up to date in no time. Iain

Thanks everyone I glad you all like it. Especially the address, I wasn't sure if that was a bit cheesy!

blakester said:
the little figures are a good idea too which I am sure will yield endless photo opportunities.
Yes they are fun and not cheap either. Those little post boxes were £5 for two, you've got to be dedicated to collect Hornby stuff! That guy Nadir on 500px is the master of these characters though!

blakester said:
It is technically very good too, the bright white envelope still has all the detail even in the sunshine. I can't offer much crit as I think its perfect as is :)

Blush, why thank you Iain. The sun was very much obscured (filtered) by thick clouds, barely breaking through, perfect really. I'm glad I gave it five minutes more.

Thank you all again. Off to the national memorial arboretum tomorrow. Hoping to spot a few ideas for contrast and mineral.

Hi Marsha,
I looked into getting some of those little figures and saw them quite cheap at this place http://www.modelshop.co.uk/search,l.html?q=figures.
I am based in London and visited this shop to have a look at the figures. They are all plain white and need painted, I decided to leave it at that as I couldn't be doing with that :LOL:

That's a fun one Marsha, nicely done, and an unusual take. The contrasts of the little people and the stamp saying Large adds nicely to it ;)

I looked into getting some of those little figures and saw them quite cheap at this place http://www.modelshop.co.uk/search,l.html?q=figures.
I am based in London and visited this shop to have a look at the figures. They are all plain white and need painted, I decided to leave it at that as I couldn't be doing with that :LOL:
:LOL: Iain, I did look at these but my patience is very short just now so doing little fiddly paint jobs would probably be the end of me!

Thanks John, I was hoping people liked the large on the stamp:D

A few of us met up at the National Memorial Arboretum on Sunday. I got two very different shots for this theme!

The armed forces memorial:
Over 15,000 entries were carved by computer when the memorial was created with space on the empty panels for an additional 15,000 names. Since then, the names of those killed in 2007 (102),*2008 (66), 2009 (119)*and 2010 (112) have been engraved by hand on the Memorial, and names will continue to be added on a yearly basis.

It's humbling when you knew three of the names!

This shot shows just a few of the names in contrast to the empty walls behind waiting to be carved:

F16, ISO 100, 1/100 sec, 40mm (24-105), camera on a tripod.

This shot is similar to my 'mood' shot with the sky colour. This storm had just passed around the area giving us a very light sprinkle of rain, but was followed by blazing sunshine which lit this memorial up in contrast to the sky behind!

The RAF association memorial.

F16, ISO 100, 1/200 sec, 40mm (24-105)

C&C welcome as always.

Last edited:
Hi Marsha

reshoot of Entrance - excellent(y)

Joy - like you, i love the sight and sound of the sea - used it in my Magical shot. Yours is excellent. Lovely colours, good composition with a nice balance of foreground, sea and sky and the shadows add depth. I had no idea that you had stitched it together and it is hard to see the join - I would just have to take a reasoned guess as to where it was.

Small - smashing shots with lovely colours. #1 is super and the OCF has worked really well. Have to get myself one of those flash thingies.:)

Straight - on theme and , again, I like the colours. Good pov

Letter - made me smile. Tiny men and post box , BIG letter and stamp. Brilliant idea and you have placed the men so well, casting shadows and the one in the middle trying to lift it. :clap: Ex capture of light.

Contrast - #1 not really getting contrast without you pointing out the blank wall. Any hope that it could remain blank forever? :(

#2 has a lot of contrast with the silver bird/globe and the black base and the bird/globe against the sky. Well shot (y) White reflection in the base is a bit distracting but the overall strength of the shot and the subject overcomes that I think. A crop just under 'We will remember them' would remove it and maintain the most important phrase but might unbalance the composition :thinking:

Hi Marsha, I love your letter one - it must have been tricky to those little people to hold up the letter for this one- its a lovely fun shot which has been wel thought out even down to the address and stamp!!:)

Contrast - I like both of these and it was humbling seeing all those names on the walls and the blank walls waiting!

My favourite though has to go the RAFA memorial and not just because I was brought up in an RAF family! The lighting makes this one with the contrast between the black sky and the bright memorial. I personally would leave the reflections in as they are of the Roundels which add to memorial and shouts out RAF!:) It was a great day out and you have got some great pics from it!:)

Joy - like you, i love the sight and sound of the sea - used it in my Magical shot. Yours is excellent. Lovely colours, good composition with a nice balance of foreground, sea and sky and the shadows add depth. I had no idea that you had stitched it together and it is hard to see the join - I would just have to take a reasoned guess as to where it was.
Thanks Alan, the join is along the front of the big wave at the back, even I had to check the original shots to see exactly where:bonk:

Small - smashing shots with lovely colours. #1 is super and the OCF has worked really well. Have to get myself one of those flash thingies.:)
This was actually done using the wireless function built in to my camera, it is very clever! Although I have now also purchased some wireless thingies too:)

Glad you like straight, small and letter.

Contrast - #1 not really getting contrast without you pointing out the blank wall. Any hope that it could remain blank forever? :(
I wish that too. Alas there are already too many new names since May (when the stone mason last carved the names) This shot is not the most memorable for the style, and the context is difficult to get unless you have been there and seen the great areas left blank!

#2 has a lot of contrast with the silver bird/globe and the black base and the bird/globe against the sky. Well shot (y) White reflection in the base is a bit distracting but the overall strength of the shot and the subject overcomes that I think. A crop just under 'We will remember them' would remove it and maintain the most important phrase but might unbalance the composition :thinking:
Thanks. The white bit is there for a reason, it's part of the red, white and blue of the RAF's roundel. The red you can just about see reflected in the black base with the white on the base against the white on the floor finishing with the blue! There is method to my madness, honestly!

Thank you for dropping in :)

Hi Marsha, I love your letter one - it must have been tricky to those little people to hold up the letter for this one- its a lovely fun shot which has been wel thought out even down to the address and stamp!!:)
They were actually very tricky little beggars! But as Alan pointed out the guy in the middle took the weight and kept control;)
I did make it harder as I wanted that stamp in, so I had to think of a way to do it!

My favourite though has to go the RAFA memorial and not just because I was brought up in an RAF family! The lighting makes this one with the contrast between the black sky and the bright memorial. I personally would leave the reflections in as they are of the Roundels which add to memorial and shouts out RAF!:) It was a great day out and you have got some great pics from it!:)
I have to thank you for this shot as I didn't even know this memorial was there until you told me;) It was my last stop before leaving! I was typing about the roundel as you posted:D

Cheers for popping in Sarah. I think I'll be visiting the NMA again one day.

Letter – Great shot. The detail of the figures and even the address adds together to make a spot on image for the theme

Contrast – Loving #2. The contrast of the sun on the memorial against those storm clouds really makes the bird jump out of the image. Good for you to photograph the theme on a TP meet.

Letter very funny and well executed.

Prefer the first contrast its shocking to think that one day that wall will be full of names.

Hi Marsha

your 1st Image for Contrast is very moving , terrible to think that the blank wall will end up full of names of those that protect us & others

Your 2nd image is great for the theme , the stormy sky sits well against the silver :clap:

Delta Skies said:
Good for you to photograph the theme on a TP meet.
Thanks Peter, yes it is good :)

mtjhome said:
Funny how actually lots of the pics could work for different topics. - Marsha yr contrast #2 could fit the Mineral theme for me - the sparkly bits!
If only we could see into the future!!!

alsjazzera said:
Prefer the first contrast its shocking to think that one day that wall will be full of names.

blondie606 said:
your 1st Image for Contrast is very moving , terrible to think that the blank wall will end up full of names of those that protect us & others

Thanks Allan and Lynne, it's a rather upsetting memorial, it certainly makes you think.

I love the memorial shots. My late Father was in the RAF in WW2 so it's something close to my heart.

The memorial wall is an excellent shot, well composed and is just right. I get the contrast, but not sure I'd have spotted it without the text.

The RAFA memorial stands out of the two, superb contrast and excellent details. It works great... the white band on the base is a little distracting, and I keep trying to read the rest of the words on the left.

Thanks Robert.

jgs001 said:
The memorial wall is an excellent shot, well composed and is just right. I get the contrast, but not sure I'd have spotted it without the text.
No it's not the most obvious, it certainly doesn't show the scale of the memorial!

jgs001 said:
The RAFA memorial stands out of the two, superb contrast and excellent details. It works great... the white band on the base is a little distracting, and I keep trying to read the rest of the words on the left.
Cheers Robert. I did think that when I took it but I chose the red/ white and blue over the wording, I was rushing too about to head home!

Ok, can someone put a freeze on time? I am gripped by Olympic fever and not doing much else just now! I think I'll be lost next week when it stops:(

I finally got a spare half hour to myself this morning so grabbed the camera and props! Warning three orchid flower heads were harmed in the taking of this :(

I had the idea to shoot a necklace I have with a sapphire in it but I just couldn't think of the best way to do it. Whilst rummaging through my jewellery box for inspiration I found my dragonfly earrings and necklace that I got in Cyprus. I thought about using the pendant as it's bigger but it wouldn't 'sit' on the flowers, so I got an earring and stabbed it through the sticky out bit (the technical term) of the flower. To be honest they're all starting to die any way so I may just have helped them along a bit! It took three attempts to try and get the angle right then the family got home so that was my time done!

F8, 1/200sec, ISO 100, 100mm macro lens, reflector on the left bright sunlight on the right. It was very windy and the plant was waving around in the wind with me lying under it shooting up.

Oops, I must sort my photo filing and storing out, here's another one that I missed!

F8, 1/100sec, ISO 100, 100mm macro.

C&C welcome as always.

Last edited:
I took my camera to work tonight as I had this shot in mind but wasn't sure I would be allowed to do it as everyone's a bit 'tetchy' around these! Despite the fact their arrival and presence was all over the news!!!

Anybody been watching the Olympics? Tonight Tom Daley was in action and it was VERY exciting. Anyhow time was a ticking to end of shift and we were all glued to the tv, it was the end of the fifth round and Tom was leading by about three points, so I pegged it out in the Land rover, parked on the edge of the taxiway grabbed three shots and ran back in just in time to catch the end of the sixth dive and see Daley get the bronze :clap::banana::woot:

F11, 1/25sec, ISO 6400, 24-105 lens. Hand held no flash.

Converted to B&W as the little bright taxiway lights on the floor are blue, the four little lights on the hangers are red and equipment in the hangers are brightly coloured too. The two MAHOOSIVE flood lights are blindingly bright! I wasn't going on to the dispersal with a camera:wacky: this may even enter the NSFW category but I'll risk it and see:help::naughty:

What do you think?

Good catch-up Marsha where've you been? ;)

I like the vivid colours in mineral with the stones on the dragonfly matching the colours of the flower. It works well with the theme, my only small crit is the white part of the flower just above the dragonfly is quite bright and catches my eye but apart from that (nitpicking I know) its (y)

I like dark too, doubly on theme as those planes could be dark and menacing too. You captured the scene well despite your limitations as mentioned for composition, the only small crit (yes another ;)) is the bright spotlight is quite dominating in the scene but not a lot you could do about that so (y) and again well done on the catch up. Iain

blakester said:
Good catch-up Marsha where've you been? ;)
:wave: Just so busy, hubby away sporadicly for the Olympics leaving me either at work or looking after the midgets and totally exhausted! Well I'm back now :D

blakester said:
I like the vivid colours in mineral with the stones on the dragonfly matching the colours of the flower. It works well with the theme, my only small crit is the white part of the flower just above the dragonfly is quite bright and catches my eye but apart from that (nitpicking I know) its (y)
I hadn't even noticed the colours on the dragonfly matching the flower:bonk: Yes the white bit is the bit I stuck the earring through, too close to do much about it plus I wanted it to look like it was sitting on it!

blakester said:
I like dark too, doubly on theme as those planes could be dark and menacing too. You captured the scene well despite your limitations as mentioned for composition, the only small crit (yes another ;)) is the bright spotlight is quite dominating in the scene but not a lot you could do about that so (y)
Like I said those lights are blinding! I cranked the recovery slider in Adobe RAW right up to 100:eek:

Thanks for the comments, I'm slowly getting around to everyone.

:wave: hello!

Contrast - I like both, #1 for what it represents and #2 for the on themeness. Love how you have taken the wall shot and must have been emotional if you knew people on there. The shiny against the dark moody clouds is a good contrast, it also says to me we always shine through!

Mineral - good detail and colours. I went for a necklace for mine and it is tricky to position them nicely. Sorry to hear about the orchid heads :(

Dark - brilliant, works well as B&W and definitely screams dark. Good use of work resources!

Hi Marsha
Where does all the time go? Another catch up of your thread.
Straight - #1 for me, bang on theme and makes a good lead in to other straight lines. e.g roof, road centre-line, pavement
Letter – brilliant idea and loving the scale of the little people against the size of the envelope.
Contrast – visited the NMA couple of months back and know where you’re coming from with this theme. Great shock to see so many names, and then the number of empty walls still to be used. Who said ‘Peace in our time’. This shows peace is most unlikely at any time.
Mineral – I like this with the coloured stones against the flower and the short DOF, however this speaks more of a product shot than a showcase on minerals. Sorry, but just my view.
Dark – how could I disagree with your interpretation when it so closely matches my idea. Great minds and all that. The B&W conversion suits this shot and the stars produced by the spotlights actually complement the environment. Great shot. (y)

Mineral - A very pleasing image. I think I'd have preferred the left hand petal to have been a little more oof to keep the eye on the main subject.

Dark - I REALLY do like this one. It's a cracking shot. I know I'm biased being an ex-British Aerospace Warton employee but the picture sums up a nation on high alert. I think the bright spotlights add to the overall image and just love the Typhoon poking out of the hanger. A big thumbs up from me.

Nice take on the dark theme must have been quite difficult with all that light

Contrast - I like both, #1 for what it represents and #2 for the on themeness. Love how you have taken the wall shot and must have been emotional if you knew people on there. The shiny against the dark moody clouds is a good contrast, it also says to me we always shine through!
Cheers Alex, it was a little upsetting to see names I knew amongst so many others!

Mineral - good detail and colours. I went for a necklace for mine and it is tricky to position them nicely. Sorry to hear about the orchid heads :(
To be honest they're all dying anyway! In my house the flowers have done well to last at all!!!

Cheers John.

I think I'd have preferred the left hand petal to have been a little more oof to keep the eye on the main subject.
Thanks Peter, if I had more time I would have shot at more apertures, but I only had a small window of opportunity!

Dark - I REALLY do like this one. It's a cracking shot. I know I'm biased being an ex-British Aerospace Warton employee but the picture sums up a nation on high alert. I think the bright spotlights add to the overall image and just love the Typhoon poking out of the hanger. A big thumbs up from me.
I'm glad you like it. Thankfully these things have not been silent!

Thanks Michael and Allan.

I like your Dark very much. Wouldn't have guessed that there had been loads of PP if you hadn't mentioned it. I like the abstractness (I can't tell what the things are) and the fact there is a series. And the great starburst.
Errr, I've hardly done any PP :thinking: Just converted to B&W and dragged the recovery slider in ACR to try and recover the strong hotspots from the flood lights! I'm glad you like it.

this is actually two shots combined! The rocks in the foreground is the original shot, but the water was flat, so the waves in the background from another shot was added.

F8, 1/160 sec, ISO 800, 45mm.

Hi Marsha, Well i actually cannot tell that you have combined two shots...had you not said, i would never have guessed...You're quite a dab hand with this pp lark .....I know you're not alone but being pretty hopeless at it, i find the abilities of some to be outstanding!

Small: Everytime I see the amount of detail captured in macro shots, I yearn to have a go myself.....the detail and colours in the poppy head makes it look more like some sort of tart good enough to eat!

Straight: Vertigo comes to mind!! The fact you have caught some peddestrians on the road adds to the scale too.

Letter: LOL that's one hell of a large letter to squeeze into that letter box!!...best of luck to the guys!!
I don't know that I would have the patience to set up like that ...I know the thought of the work and time involved in setting up a still life shot can often put me off even attempting it tbh......good on you for finding the time and making the effort.

Contrast: Very much like your interpretation of the theme with the names carved / not carved into the memorial.....sad to know that at some point additional names will be added though!

Right place right time for The RAF association memorial shot.....perfect conditions to capture the strong contrasts.

I'll catch up with some more real soon Marsha.

Best of luck with your positive move in your career....obviously something you enjoy and feel very proud about...rightly so!

Hi Asha:wave:
Asha said:
Well i actually cannot tell that you have combined two shots...had you not said, i would never have guessed...You're quite a dab hand with this pp lark .....I know you're not alone but being pretty hopeless at it, i find the abilities of some to be outstanding!
Really I'm not that good! It has taken a lot of time on Google and YouTube to barely even scratch the surface of Photoshop! Only today I was given tips from a very helpful guy at DSCL (printing labs) on resizing images for printing. What he told me was SOOOO simple I felt stupid! I seriously need to go on courses.

Asha said:
Small: Everytime I see the amount of detail captured in macro shots, I yearn to have a go myself.....the detail and colours in the poppy head makes it look more like some sort of tart good enough to eat!
I have no idea on how people get bugs really close up, plants are easy really! I should do more as I rather enjoy it.

Asha said:
Letter: LOL that's one hell of a large letter to squeeze into that letter box!!...best of luck to the guys!!
I don't know that I would have the patience to set up like that ...I know the thought of the work and time involved in setting up a still life shot can often put me off even attempting it tbh......good on you for finding the time and making the effort.
It only took a few minutes to set up once I had figured out where everyone would stand! You must have tons of patience using the cameras you do:bonk:

Thanks again for a your detailed reply, I still need to check out your latest shots.

Asha said:
Best of luck with your positive move in your career....obviously something you enjoy and feel very proud about...rightly so!
So proud my notice to leave has been accepted:D I've had enough now, about 20 months left and I can concentrate on my midgets and hobbies:)

Well I was thinking about doing this weeks shot today when a stealth Lego brick hijacked my ankle and tackled me to the floor! Thankfully my sons bike was there to break my fall, my arm and ribs were cushioned nicely by the handle bars! Queue lots of swearing:confused: :amstupid::dummy: But it's given me an idea for time:bonk: Fingers crossed I can still move in the morning let alone lift a camera :eek:

Last edited:
Back