weekly Ben's 52 - Week 3 "Gravity" added

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
I really want to push my photography this year and no better way to do it than a 52 challenge. I did struggle with the theme set for the first week but here is what I have decided on. I wanted to use the lighting and shallow depth of field to really emphasise the first few tasty chocolaty treats. Comments and criticisms welcome.

1/52 - Sin by bensambrook, on Flickr

hi Ben...welcome aboard :wave:

Great shot to start your project , fab DOF , good tones, nice angle ...yup , (y) from me mister

Yep - well done Ben, echo comments on the DOF and low viewpoint.

Love the DoF and viewpoint, but wonder if it's a little dark perhaps; I think it needs warming up a little to make it truly sinful!

not able to add anything else to what has been said really agree with having less foreground

Hi, Ben, chocolates :D

Liking the low angle, WB looks nice and there's s richness to the colours. Nice shallow DOF and detail where needed.

Not keen on the large FG area or thetwo dark corners.

Good start.

Cheers.

Wow thanks for all your kind words and pleasant comments. Looking back on the image with fresh eyes I agree with the comments raised regarding the foreground and the dark corners. Thanks again, I'm already looking forward to next weeks challenge.

yummy choccies.. very sinful for me trying to diet :) would have liked them in a bit closer but great focus and DOF..

Thanks for all the kind comments. I have been struggling to find time to get myself logged onto the forum but will try my best to comment on as many peoples projects as I can.

So the snow came yesterday and I went out as early as I could this morning armed with... my iPhone :O

Anyway shot this, little editing in Photoshop and here it is.

2/52 - Season by bensambrook, on Flickr

Nice comp and has a distinct wintery feel to it. Very eery with the lack of people too.

Looks great to me! Goes to show that you don't always need the latest and greatest to get a good picture.

Good start to your 52 Ben (y)

I like the colour tones and shallow dof in #1, just a little crop from the bottom to remove the oof box and it will be spot on for me.

#2 bang on theme, as someone mentioned, the lack of people really works well. Iain

I like it at first I thought it was a pity about the line of trees and buildings to break the white, but I like that its stark white and black look is broken slightly by the grey (y)

Cheers for the comments, was pretty pleased with it considering I used my phone.

Really sorry this one is late, had a hectic week at work and not had much spare time! Anyway enough excuses here it is:

3/52 - Gravity by bensambrook, on Flickr

Never set a photo like this up before so thought I would give it a go today. When I saw the image on camera after the shot I thought wow that's impressive, but when I put it onto the MacBook to tidy up a little I thought I'd missed focus which for me lets the shot down but it is the only thing I can submit for this one. Apologies it is late.

Last edited:
Season: Lovely solitary feel to this

Gravity: Really like this - almost a metallic or mercury feel to it with the edrops rolloving over the surface. Focus looks spot on at this size

Thanks Christine, I didn't see that when I shot it but certainly now you've mentioned it, it does have a metallic feel to it.

I did a waterdrop too for gravity I am no expert but what I think you are saying about the focus might not be right, the problem could have been shutter speed I think you need a speed of around 1/200 to freeze the action thats what I read
I think:thinking:

Both shots spot on...love how bleak the season photo looks
The water droplet/splash....can't get my head round how this is achieved, but it looks excellent IMHO....when I have more than a week to do it I might have to look into that technique some more

Great shot, something I must try, just hope it comes out as well as yours. Looks very ying and yang. Well done

Two good shots here Ben - not much to crit at all.

Love the composition and the empty space on season, excellent use of thirds.

and the droplets is great too, you've captured good detail, and managed to freeze the main drop - and still retain movement in the flying droplets.

Good work Ben.

Hi, quick comments, I'm afraid:

Season, who can resist a lone tree, just a tad off the bottom for me.

Gravity, cracking detail thought out; nice sense of movement.

Cheers.

I like the water droplet, the actual splash looks sharp and the sense of movement given by the droplets make the picture more interesting.

Back