weekly WyX's 2013 Photo52

Edit My Images
Yes
hello everyone, this is my thread on the Photo52 challenge for the year 2013.

reason for me to joining is to improve my photography and with a set theme each week, be more disciplined in bringing my camera everywhere.

ok, here it goes. :bonk:

Week 1 : Sin
Week 2 : Season
Week 3 : Gravity
Week 4 : Wild
Week 5 : Space
Week 6 : Work
Week 7 : Gluttony
Week 8 : Time
Week 9 : Juxtaposition
Week 10 : Letter
Week 11 : Electric
Week 12 : Direction
Week 13 : Tacky
Week 14 : Value
Week 15 : Greed
Week 16 : Angle
Week 17 : Rustic
Week 18 : Kind
Week 19 : Verticle + Reshoot (Work)
Week 20 : Pattern
Week 21 : Movement
Week 22 : Below
Week 23 : Size
Week 24 : Process
Week 25 : Rock
Week 26 : Pair
Week 27 : Shape + Reshoot (Rock)
Week 28 : Plenty
Week 29 : Speed
Week 30 : Steps and Steps
Week 31 : Mono
Week 32 : Connection
Week 33 : Beginning
Week 34 : Still
Week 35 : Whimsical
Week 36 : Curve
Week 37 : Power
Week 38 : Solitude
Week 39 : Sweet
Week 40 : Cut + Reshoot
Week 41 : Live
Week 42 : Reflection
Week 43 : Melt
Week 44 : Left
Week 45 : Food
Week 46 : Art
Week 47 : Friendship
Week 48 : Sleek
Week 49 : Colour
Week 50 : Fantacy
Week 51 : Fit
Week 52 : Water

Last edited:
Hi Wuyan...welcome to the 52's madhouse :wave:

I'm with you wuyan

don't get much from the first - plus it has the stitching in bottom and right - which doesn't look intentional, like the lighting giving rise to the shadows though.

second one - great background, nicely lit, good use of DOF and nice focus on the front of the bite.

Yeah, #2 for me.

Little close at the bottom, hot spot on the apple and I'd like to see a cleaner surface.

Lovely red colour on the apple and the texture on the apple is good.

Cheers.

Im with the others number two is the better photo, I do like number one but I think it would have been better if all the smarties where the same colour.

prefer 2 as-well though its a bit central and as Andy has said too close a crop at the bottom

#1 certainly says sin :) am with the ones preferring the apple, nice details and focus and DOF spot on

Week 2: Season :)

Entry:
8383818889_a63d843f36_c.jpg

52 - 2 - Season by wuyanxu, on Flickr

Bonus: (liked the colours from this shot, taken on Sunday)
8383808737_11011b1d36_c.jpg

Sunset in Leicester by wuyanxu, on Flickr

many thanks for the feedbacks, I rarely do macro or close-up photography, so the apple shot was just experimenting. Also tried with the snow this week, but compared to single flake shots I've seen, I don't think my shots are good enough.

Sorry I didn't comment on people's shots, I'm just a hobbyist. But have to say all shots I've seen here look amazing. :love:

Sorry I didn't comment on people's shots, I'm just a hobbyist. But have to say all shots I've seen here look amazing. :love:

Hi, Wuyan, regarding the above...most of us are hobbyists....ya gotta comment. Just say what you like about a photograph. The mor you crit the better you'll get.

Nice low angle for your Season. WB looks OK and nice detail in the snow.

Slight distortion from your wide angle and personally I'd prefer a cleaner BG.

Cheers.

The first pic works better but as Andy has said the BG is a bit distracting, the second one lacks a bit of punch. You shouldn't worry about your pics we are all here to improve.

Hi, Wuyan, regarding the above...most of us are hobbyists....ya gotta comment. Just say what you like about a photograph. The mor you crit the better you'll get.
Yup... most of us are (y)

Nice low angle for your Season. WB looks OK and nice detail in the snow.

Slight distortion from your wide angle and personally I'd prefer a cleaner BG.

Cheers.
:plus1:

I'm going to vote for the second - nice lead in from the pink houses, those on the right funnel your view through to the sunset colour behind the tree.
Large tree on a third with top branches intact.

Maybe crop a slither off the bottom, but that's about it.

Everyone's opinion is valid here. (y)

Hi, sorry I never got around to you in week 1

here's my week 2 crit. Hope it helps!

plus points:
Focus & depth of field are spot on and as others have said the low POV combined with the lens distortion makes the grass/snow look large in the frame. Light is good with the shadows on the snow giving good texture and depth.

minus points:
I find that my eye wanders around the snow/grass area which then leads me to the wall etc at the back, which is not very pleasing to the eye. Maybe that door could be lighter, or the gateway more inviting?

Suggestions:
Next time you are in a similar situation; check your background and look for (or create) a strong point of interest to hold the viewers attention.

See you next week! ;)

Love the perspective of the snow and it draws you in, shame the background doesn't have a point of interest
I like it thou, good effort

Personally I prefer the second image. I think it has that nice cool seasonal feel to it.

Well done, great effort.

thank you all for feedback.

I often forget about the background, and this is certainly the case with this week's image. In this situation, perhaps a much darker background or even pitch black would help, and angle the lens down even more.

LOL, no, it wasn't on a hill. just used a tripod to get down really low.

Week 3 - Gravity.

Just been trying out different ideas. Unfortunately I couldn't get enough lighting in the apple shot to get a more visible trail. :shrug:

So ended up with some water splashes, this one I thought looks quite cool with the curve, reminding us there's gravity pulling everything down.

8411383709_fc49b28589_c.jpg

52 - 3 - Gravity by wuyanxu, on Flickr

8412479976_117a3b4ffb_c.jpg

52 - 3 - Gravity (Bonus) by wuyanxu, on Flickr

GREAT focus on the droplets and stream of water, considering the shallow DOF (neither front or back of glass rim in focus (that's a positive btw not a criticism).

Surely I'd have thought that at 1/60 you'd get more blur - but is this the flash working for you that freezes it?

thanks Graham., I didn't actually consider DoF, focused at the edge of the glass (which is the middle) and hoped it to be in focus, was actually slightly disappointed with the shallow DoF. 85mm f4 still produces quite a shallow DoF!

A bare flash was used to the left (see the hot spots) at slowest setting to freeze the action.

Sam, thanks, I dropped a coin to get the one-side effect, had to do many tries to get the curved water droplets.

Week 4 - Wild:

Not being a wildlife tog, I decided to interpret this week's theme as not inhabited and lacking order. Landscape is what I love doing the most, so went out on Saturday looking for the wilderness.

52 - 3 - Wilderness by wuyanxu, on Flickr

Nice unkempt wild space there.

I love the curve of the water droplets, I had trouble capturing motion blur and freezing the subject with my coin spinning. I ended up using the on-camera flash in 2nd curtain mode, which did a good job - maybe try that?

The pink colours in your second season shot are beautifully subtle, great composition too. Maybe take a little bit of the foreground out?

The apple is a nice capture, I struggled with the hotspots created by the waxiness, but you have done well, the DOF and bite focus is great :)

Liking the landscape for Wild - great use of "portrait" orientation, and love the lead in line created by the tree - oh, and no branches chopped off the tree at the rear (y)

Yes, Wild is very nice; lots of interest taking the eye around the frame. Minor comment: the dark areas (hedges, ivy etc) seem to have blocked a bit; can you get anything back in the shadow recovery slider?

Back