weekly Superpippo's 52 in 2013 Weeks 50,51 and 52, Fantasy, Fit and Water added - P&BD and Finished

Hi, there, liking Space. Nice and simple, yet effective.

With these photographs the devil is in the detail and being really, really and I mean really picky, the 3rd book from the left is every so slightly set back.

Good photograph, though.

Cheers.

Hi Allan, nice clean sharp shot with good dof. Good composition stands out, good impact.

Hi ya

Space....great take on the theme ,nicely exposed & laid out & sharper than a sharp thing (y) Only slight niggle & one I suffer with....lower rhs of the BG has just a very slight change of color

Wild....fab scene , great focus & capture of the waves....I like this one (y)

Hi, there, liking Space. Nice and simple, yet effective.

With these photographs the devil is in the detail and being really, really and I mean really picky, the 3rd book from the left is every so slightly set back.

Good photograph, though.

Cheers.

Thanks both. What eyesight you have both developed after you sojourn in Malvern. :D But points well made.

Clever idea.

The uniformity of the books makes the gap more obvious, for some reason the volume numbers not being aligned bugs me a little, but that's the publisher's fault. Sharpness and lighting are great.

Clever idea.

The uniformity of the books makes the gap more obvious, for some reason the volume numbers not being aligned bugs me a little, but that's the publisher's fault. Sharpness and lighting are great.

Thanks Nick - I agree about the misalignment of the numbers (even the titles and 'BBC' are all slightly different) but I like the colours and the artwork on these and decided to go with it.

Now, now, that's a great one. Nix and close and the colours, and WB are spot on. Nice and sharp, where needed. Just the Lower fingers feel a bit....:thinking: wonder what they would look like diagonally from the lower right towards the centre?

Cheers.

Fabulous shot Alan. I like the angle and take on this showing the needle to the left with fingers in forefront and background and a nice colour contrast from the materual. Even the scale is readable. Good sharp focus.

#2 version gets my vote Alan, you have captured some great detail in there.
All the corners are filled with something to look at, I feel the reflection bottom LHS is a particularly nice touch. #2 just feels more balanced IMHO the diagonal composition works well.
Technically very good Alan, focus bang on the important part, the needle. You've handled the light on the shiny metal well, which I have never found an easy task. Iain

Andy - not sure what you mean , but is it this ? bear in mind that it is another shot from the same shoot and may not have same WB, colour etc, just putting it up so you can expand on your point, if you will.

Hi, not easy to explain. I added an arrow in PS to post but note you have an X in the edit box. It's just an idea that I thought might create an implied triangle to direct attention to the needed. I might be over thinking it, though :thinking:

Cheers.

Well done Alan, really nice image and something a little different.

As Andy says, maybe consider lower the lower fingers a little to lose them in shot, although that's easier said than done.

(y)

Lovely colours & composition Alan, perfectly exposed & good depth of field. looks a bit static if you don't mind me saying.

Edited to say - I'm talking about the first version. I'm not entirely sure what the others mean about the hands, I have watched my mum use a sewing machine more times than I can remember (she worked from home as a seamstress) and the hands look in the perfect position to me.

Last edited:
Hi ya :wave:

Work....original version for me as well...great detail in the material , well light with no real blown bits on the metal of the machine & good tones in the fingers :)....some motion in the needle would've been the icing on the cake but I suspect rather difficult to capture ?

first work shot for me like how the cloth is lit i assume from the sewing machine

#2 version gets my vote Alan, you have captured some great detail in there.
All the corners are filled with something to look at, I feel the reflection bottom LHS is a particularly nice touch. #2 just feels more balanced IMHO the diagonal composition works well.
Technically very good Alan, focus bang on the important part, the needle. You've handled the light on the shiny metal well, which I have never found an easy task. Iain

Thanks for the nice words Iain

Hi, not easy to explain. I added an arrow in PS to post but note you have an X in the edit box. It's just an idea that I thought might create an implied triangle to direct attention to the needed. I might be over thinking it, though :thinking:

Cheers.

Thanks Andy - never thought to untick the edit box

Another vote here for the original, a great shot.

Thanks Ray

Well done Alan, really nice image and something a little different.

As Andy says, maybe consider lower the lower fingers a little to lose them in shot, although that's easier said than done.

(y)

Cheers Dave

Nice colours and very sharp

Ta Mark

Great shot, nice and sharp. Spot on theme.

Ta Lisa

Lovely colours & composition Alan, perfectly exposed & good depth of field. looks a bit static if you don't mind me saying.

Edited to say - I'm talking about the first version. I'm not entirely sure what the others mean about the hands, I have watched my mum use a sewing machine more times than I can remember (she worked from home as a seamstress) and the hands look in the perfect position to me.

Thanks Brian - my expert seamstress also agrees that she had her hands in the right position for sewing (y)

Hi ya :wave:

Work....original version for me as well...great detail in the material , well light with no real blown bits on the metal of the machine & good tones in the fingers :)....some motion in the needle would've been the icing on the cake but I suspect rather difficult to capture ?

Thanks Lynne - agree re motion but tried that and the material and hands move too and I lost a bit of sharpness.

excellent shot there the detail you have got in is great

likes it )

Thanks Craig

Hi Alan :)

Work - Nice shot that, good composition lighting and detail - the edit is a cracker, liking the reflection and the angle adds to the image (y)

Cheers DK

first work shot for me like how the cloth is lit i assume from the sewing machine

Thanks Allan - yes cloth lit from the small light in machine

Hi ya

I take it thats some foriegn version of Rennies ? Nicely sharp & good focus on both the jar & the fizzing water (y)

Can't decide if it could stand a slight exposure boost :thinking:...no , good as it is mister (y) The only thing that detracts is the brighter almost diagonal line in the background ...

Thanks Lynne,

Italian digesivo. Cute curly bits
Exposure is actually taken down a bit as wanted to contrast with the light sunshaft - attempt at the morning after effect but may not have worked. Had anothere look and a the slightest of tweaks may work. :thinking: Also the higher the boost, the less clear the fizz.

Last edited:
Hi Alan,

Love the bright sharp colours of the label in contrast with the look of black and white of the glass and spoon. Great fizz capture in the glass too.

Given me some idea's to practise capturing bubbles with, not sure I'll be able to find the cute curly bits though, so will have to stick with Alka Seltzer

the cure for the gluttony the night before... wasn't immediately obvious what it is at first look - guess the foreign writing puts me off trying to read, the liquid looked a bit more jelly like too, than the water it is. Guess a slower shutter to catch movement in the bubbles would have just led to a mess of blurry bubbles in the glass.

Not sure the lid adds anything to the shot, and the missing left side of the jar is a bit of a shame.

But the focus is super, and the colours on the jar contrast really well with the stark white background, and no terrible reflections either.

Hi Alan,

Love the bright sharp colours of the label in contrast with the look of black and white of the glass and spoon. Great fizz capture in the glass too.

Given me some idea's to practise capturing bubbles with, not sure I'll be able to find the cute curly bits though, so will have to stick with Alka Seltzer

Thanks for looking Alison. pleased that you like it. Bubbles, if successful, are good to shoot but I found this quite a challenge.

the cure for the gluttony the night before... wasn't immediately obvious what it is at first look - guess the foreign writing puts me off trying to read, the liquid looked a bit more jelly like too, than the water it is. Guess a slower shutter to catch movement in the bubbles would have just led to a mess of blurry bubbles in the glass.

Not sure the lid adds anything to the shot, and the missing left side of the jar is a bit of a shame.

But the focus is super, and the colours on the jar contrast really well with the stark white background, and no terrible reflections either.

Thanks Graham - pleased with your comments re focus, light etc.
Took quite a few of this to get what I thought was OK. Altho in Italian, I thought that the 'Effervescente' would be clear for the theme - perhaps not. I was quite pleased with the bubble capture, partic as I took so many shots. Maybe because I had a original fizzing that I could see thro the viewfinder made me feel that it was OK. :thinking: Had many shots of fuzzy, blurry bubbles. :D

Point taken re lid. Agree to some extent about jar, but did not want to include all of the Italian writing and the jar turned out to have a wonky bottom so even in this shot you can see that it has a slight lean to right and including the other side made it more obvious. :bang:

Gluttony is very thought provoking, and I love the comp! Lighting could be a bit more exciting though

Week 8 - Time

As 6 of my 7 submissions so far have been indoor setups, I really wanted to get outside, so here is my submission.

P1030139 - Copy_edited-1 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Whilst out I noticed this plaque, which I think is very interesting and on theme. However as i did not have my usual stooge with me, I had no-one to sit in any of the seats, which would have made the shot better. Anyway, just for the historic interest I am posting it.

P1030125 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Hi, Alan, Time is on theme and :clap: for getting outdoors. Works on loads of levels here. Good catch with the guy talking to the driver/conductor.

Cheers.

Hi Allan, like your theme on Gluttony especislly how you caught the fizz & bubbles. Like you time to, good angle, focus (even on the monitor), lighting and colours. Nicely executed.

Great Time shot for me, very sharp focus, plenty of interest takes your eye around the picture. Lovely colours too. Don't see an empty platform very often these days so great find too.

Yep - liking time, great colours of the train, the architecture of the roof, the references to time on the board, and the guys looking out ready for their departure time.

Well on theme, nicely done.

nice take on the theme of gluttony and a good train pic well done for not getting any people in besides the ones who matter

Really nice capture. I like the colours and processing.

Spot on theme too. (y)

Back