weekly Martin80 52 for 2013 Movement & Below

I spent an hour trying to get my shot of the red pandas, these little rodents dont usually play to the crowd.

Nicely nailed sir ( as usual )

What a lovely shot!

Im still waiting to find a friendly squirrel, even one that stays around for 1 second!

Hi,

Week 5: Space

This is the view from Win Hill in the Peak District.

8454771729_ef587e3c5f_c.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, on theme and lovely colours in the sun. :clap: for getting up early.

Well composed and nice shadows. Looks a tad under exposed and not as sharp as it could be.

Cheers.

Martin, a Proper Photograph, and bang on theme, plus the early riser kudos as noted. I really like it. I'm not really sure about the under-exposed suggestion; the dim grimness compared with the sun seems atmospheric to me. But have you tried pulling back the shadows a bit?

Love it. one of my favourites this week. (y)

Thanks Brian

Martin, a Proper Photograph, and bang on theme, plus the early riser kudos as noted. I really like it. I'm not really sure about the under-exposed suggestion; the dim grimness compared with the sun seems atmospheric to me. But have you tried pulling back the shadows a bit?

Hi Chris,

I had to underexpose the shot quite a lot as I forgot to pack my grads :bang: (lesson learnt) so i exposed for the highlights to avoid blowing the sky. I've already opened up the shadows as much a I can.

Last edited:
Hi :wave:,

Week 6: Work

This lady was kind enough to allow me to photograph her while she was working on her stall on Alnwick market.

8487213652_0836946bed_z.jpg

Last edited:
Liking the sunrise for space, looks like it could have also worked by just having less land and more sky, for the theme of space?

Work, wonder if a slightly wider crop would show more of the frames and pictures that is her work, and I'm unsure whether we need to see her face, or what she's working on - (can't have both) - but you did well to do this, and it fits the theme well. (y)

That space photo is fantastic.

Work "works" well, but that strap(?) is a little distracting. Maybe she just needs restraining. :)

Martin, I do like the Work shot, would it be a bit better with a bit more of her face? Not that you probably had the option! As Ray said, the strap apparently piercing her gut is a bit odd, but ditto for that. Nice range of tones and detail apart from that.

Totally agree regarding the strap, it does ruin the shot somewhat. I don't think there was a great deal i could do about it however and i was trying to disturb her as little as possible. Thanks for commenting everyone.

Week 7: Gluttony

8500617604_37bae47151_z.jpg

Hi Martin

I think your street type shot for Work is a corker...well spotted & good on ya for asking to the shot....Like it just as is , maybe the strap could be blended away somehow ?

Gluttony....not sure if I'm with the B&W as I feel it needs color to show off the sarnie ( but I know nothing !) & maybe slightly more from the front angle...just a smidge though . Do like the focus..spot on :)

Cracking angle, and sharp. Like it.

Colour for me, I think, B&W has removed an element (colour) and Gluttony is about excess, IYSWIM.

Cheers.

Thanks for commenting guys.

I can see where your coming from regarding the colour version, I feel its just down to personal preference. I'm a big fan of B&W photography in general and when I'm shooting people I always tend to opt for B&W. Its always nice to get a different perspective though so I appreciate your feedback. Everydays a school day as they say.

:wave: Week 8: Time

Timing has to be spot on!

8510089260_c9ef9bc0c0_z.jpg

Cracking shot Martin, great job with the egg-timer in the background putting it bang on theme.

That has to be movement blur in the yolk, as the shell of the egg is pin sharp. Nice job keeping the white of the cup a good white white too.

nice time shot though it all seems a bit cramped maybe a wider crop would help

Great idea, I would agree with the others. A little more room would have made this perfect.

Processing and focus is spot on though.

Be proud Martin, a great effort :D :clap:

Gravity......Nice idea, works well as a B&W, nice narrow dof and positioning of the dominos.

Space........that certainly show a wide open space, nice light too.

Work......... I did a similar shot but over the shoulder of the artist for a street themed shot a few years ago. It's a shame about the diagonal strap.

Gluttony....That looks like a large bite there. :D

Time..........A little more dof for me, other than that it works really well.

(y)

Great idea for time. I think I'd agree with the comments above about it being a little too cramped, but otherwise it's a great shot, and now I want an egg. :)

Week 9: Juxtaposition

Hanging Trees By
Andy Goldsworthy

8528556350_caf4902db0_c.jpg

Andy Goldsworthy is one of my favourite artists, love his work!

Bang in theme for me. Like to processing and perspective.

Cheers.

Time: Great image, perfect on theme.

Juxtaposition: Interesting image, nicely done.

That a very interesting piece of art and well taken pic nicely exposed and great detail :clap:

Juxtaposition - I like the processing of this, interesting picture.

Andy Goldsworthy is one of my favourite artists, love his work!

Bang in theme for me. Like to processing and perspective.

Cheers.

Time: Great image, perfect on theme.

Juxtaposition: Interesting image, nicely done.

That a very interesting piece of art and well taken pic nicely exposed and great detail :clap:

Thanks for commenting everyone.

Hi ya

what a fab image...very interesting , great colors & detail & certainly on theme (y)

never heard of the chap so tell me more...I presume this is a peice of art he's created ? Where do you find this work displayed ?

Hi Lynne, he's a sculptor and photographer from Cheshire but now lives in Scotland. Hanging Trees can be viewed at Yorkshire Sculpture Park, well worth a visit.

Last edited:
Good shot of an interesting piece. Great perspective and viewpoint on it.

Never heard of the chap myself either. :LOL:

Back