weekly Ray's 52 Project for 2013 - Week 18 - Kind added

Like it. Good detail and colours. I like the blurred bit in the glass door.

I think a tighter crop left and right might work.

Cheers.

nicely exposed seems to be leaning slightly to the right is my only crit

hi ya

fab colors , really vibrant & certainly on theme...the main door looks perfectly straight to me so guess the rest is one of optical illusions (y) Agree about a slight crop from the lhs

Hi Ray

Space - agree with comments already made but add my view that it is a good idea

Work - really good capture of a difficult subject. Excellent lighting and colour. (y) Maybe a bit on the squiff as mentioned and also I would suggest croppingn out the part sign of the building to the left.

Like it. Good detail and colours. I like the blurred bit in the glass door.

I think a tighter crop left and right might work.
Thanks. I think you're right on the crop to the left, and I guess the poor ventilation in the shop will have to take credit for the blur, not me. :)
nicely exposed seems to be leaning slightly to the right is my only crit
Thanks. :)
Looks like a 'Just Eat' advert :LOL:

Nice bright shot... fits the theme just about, would have been nice to catch a guy 'At Work' through one of the big windows
If they want to pay me, it can be an advert as much as they like. :D Good point on catching someone actually at work, instead of just the only place at night people are working!
fab colors , really vibrant & certainly on theme...the main door looks perfectly straight to me so guess the rest is one of optical illusions (y) Agree about a slight crop from the lhs
Thanks. Yeah it was tricky to align - nothing's straight! Does need to lose that bit off the left though, you're right.
Hi Ray

Space - agree with comments already made but add my view that it is a good idea

Work - really good capture of a difficult subject. Excellent lighting and colour. (y) Maybe a bit on the squiff as mentioned and also I would suggest croppingn out the part sign of the building to the left.
Thanks. Yes the bit on the left, it has to go. :)

Week 07 - Gluttony

Not the most gluttonous I could be to be honest, but you make do with what you have and was playing about with a new lens. :) I'm caught up and back on schedule now, anyway!

8510714653_5b6726502c_b.jpg

Last edited:
nice clean, bright, detailed "cake on a plate" shot. Hard to say whether a just started moment, half eaten, or nearly finished moment would work any better? Or a sequence showing it disappearing as is being eaten? :LOL:

Hi, Ray, I love cheesecake :D

Nice detail and close composition.

Could do with a bit of a boost in the colours and a tad brighter.

Cheers.

nice clean, bright, detailed "cake on a plate" shot. Hard to say whether a just started moment, half eaten, or nearly finished moment would work any better? Or a sequence showing it disappearing as is being eaten? :LOL:
It is lacking originality somewhat isn't it, and those ideas would have helped. I like the sequence idea. but it's all gone now. :) Hopefully this will be my weakest week.

Hi, Ray, I love cheesecake :D

Nice detail and close composition.

Could do with a bit of a boost in the colours and a tad brighter.

Cheers.
Cheesecake is great. :D Thanks.

Week 08 - Time

I'm roughly 100x times happier with this week's entry than last week's.

These are from a photoshoot on Wednesday, the theme I chose was freezing motion, i.e. stopping time.

8518751907_d7cc5969ed_b.jpg

8518751873_47b25ae632_b.jpg

Hi Ray,
My vote would go to #1 in your time shots. I think it is the darker background that I prefer. There is more of a contrast between the BG and subject. I like the use of negative space also.
I can't quite put it into words but my eye was drawn more to #1, good work on both of them though, well lit and well caught. (y) Iain

Hi ya

Gluttony....yum yum....all the food shots for this theme are doing my waist line a world of no good :LOL: On theme for sure but needs something....maybe a bite out of it ?

Time...#1 for me...like the empty space to the left , the pose & the lighting more...both great shots though (y)

Work.....It's a shot that works well when it's dark, shot in daylight wouldn't have worked half as well.

Gluttony......If it's all for you then the theme has been nailed. I agree with Andy, it looks a little under exposed and I'm not quite sure about the position of the fork.

Time...... Both shots are right on theme for freezing time. I think the first would work better if the cloud was a little further away from her. The second could do with being darker and the light source not in view or just fractionally seen.

(y)

Hi Ray,
My vote would go to #1 in your time shots. I think it is the darker background that I prefer. There is more of a contrast between the BG and subject. I like the use of negative space also.
I can't quite put it into words but my eye was drawn more to #1, good work on both of them though, well lit and well caught. (y) Iain
Cheers Iain. :) I think you're right, 1 isn't quite so in-your-face.

i like them both what an interesting take on the theme :clap:
Thanks for the feedback Allan. So much easier coming up with an interesting idea than for gluttony, for me anyway.
I like that, very eye-catching.
Thanks! (y)

both great pics but no 1 stands out better for me also the darkness really sets it off

excellent take on the Theme
Thanks. 1 seems to be the one to go for. :)

Hi ya

Gluttony....yum yum....all the food shots for this theme are doing my waist line a world of no good :LOL: On theme for sure but needs something....maybe a bite out of it ?

Time...#1 for me...like the empty space to the left , the pose & the lighting more...both great shots though (y)
Thanks for the FB, Lynne. Yup pretty disappointed with Gluttony, but we eat our cake and move on. ;)

Work.....It's a shot that works well when it's dark, shot in daylight wouldn't have worked half as well.

Gluttony......If it's all for you then the theme has been nailed. I agree with Andy, it looks a little under exposed and I'm not quite sure about the position of the fork.

Time...... Both shots are right on theme for freezing time. I think the first would work better if the cloud was a little further away from her. The second could do with being darker and the light source not in view or just fractionally seen.

(y)
Work - true, the dark hides all the dirt and rubbish. :)

Gluttony - Yeah it's a bit poo. Tried a few different positions with the fork but couldn't get it to work, at best it looked like a stupid metal flagpole. :puke:

Time - You may be right about the positioning. I intend to do more along this line another time so will see if there's a way to get that done.

Here's another from the same shoot anyway. Didn't really hit the subject, but going to share it anyway! :D
8524472666_dc39b85343_b.jpg

Time (v3)

Maybe not obvious to the theme but v3 is a cracker, im on my phone at the moment but it looks like she is surrounded by flames.

I like the frozen motion shots. The first one works best for me. Nice pose, great framing, and the lighting is subtle and effective.

great series of shots for a frozen moment in time.... think I prefer the first one, the colours of the dust(?) just sit perfectly with the colours on the dress, against the black background, and the space to the left adds to it all too.

Third one looks great too, agree looks like a fire effect.

Would have to say number one but its hard to pick a favourite as i love all three, fabulous shots.

So, quite a catchup. First I dropped my laptop, and when I eventually built a new PC it caught fire, so a bit more of a delay there. :bonk: (but at least that gave me material for electric!)

So this is my catchup up from Week 9 to Week 13

Week 09 - Juxtaposition
"Like chalk and cheese" Had a new macro adapter on order for this, but by the time it arrived and I'd tested it out, my laptop had decided to headbutt the floor.:crying: But first time doing anything macro anyway. Tricky.

8658113365_bd471a78b3_b.jpg

Week 10 - Letter
No more letters... ever... "Permanent removal of service from this postbox"

8659218198_089ac1b202_b.jpg

Week 11 - Electric
My new PC started its life with an ELECTRICAL FIRE. :shake: Just a smartphone photo but it seemed so on topic I decided to use it.

8658113819_d5eb0525d4_b.jpg

Week 12 - Direction
I'm going to guess there were a fair few along these lines, but hey do your own thing man, don't be a slave to the system.

8658113659_b827192cde_b.jpg

Week 13 - Tacky
Some leftover tacky decorations, presumably from the jubilee.

8658114225_73af52f4bb_b.jpg

Now to catch up on Value and greed in time for the new theme on Saturday!!

Last edited:
ok - here we go....

juxta.... wasn't clear to me what the two items were until I read.... surely you;ve got cheese and chalk?? But is on theme, good contrast of black bg and white chalk.

letter - a nice different take on the post box theme - well spotted. liking the leaning aspect of the box too. have you desaturated slightly in your PP?, if so that works well to convey the abandoned unused aspect of the post box.

electric - unfortunate but on theme, can almost smell the burning components in there.

direction works well in mono - maybe a small bit of separation would have helped between sign and chimney?

tacky - lovely detail and texture in the old brickwork and peeling paint on the door. the faded reds of the flags helping it all along.

Good work. (y)

Hi Ray

Hmmm...chalk n cheese..on theme for sure , good black bg , just not sure about the items....is that chalk dust like you mark a pitch out with ? & the cheese looks like it may have seen better days...though that could be the effect of a macro shot....good shot it the making just needs a touch more work to really to really pop...sorry if that sounds harsh , just saying what I see :crying:

Electric...these bloomin smart phones have pretty darn decent cameras on them....big shame about your 'puter but on the up side it gave you the shot for the theme (y)

Letter.....sad to see that letter box taken out of service.....well spotted & liemthe sort of desaturated feel to it...in keeping with feel of the postbox...if that makes any sense ?

Direction...yup , mono works a treat , just a shame about the chimney

Tacky...like it , plenty of detail in the whole shot...keeps my eye wandering around ..well spotted & pp'd (y)

Hi Ray

some catch up !!

Juxta - good idea for theme But agree with Lynne that it needed a bit more attention

Letter - lovely subdued, faded colours. Nice comp. Just crop off the part numbers at the top and leave the whole '2730'. Not keen on the frame

Electric - on theme and some good colours

Direction - very good use of mono , with those old fashioned finger posts. Agree with Graham about the post/chimney

Tacky - the best of the bunch. Good detail and colour in the brickwork and good textures throughout. Good that the red from the flags has faded - helps the theme

ok - here we go....

juxta.... wasn't clear to me what the two items were until I read.... surely you;ve got cheese and chalk?? But is on theme, good contrast of black bg and white chalk.

letter - a nice different take on the post box theme - well spotted. liking the leaning aspect of the box too. have you desaturated slightly in your PP?, if so that works well to convey the abandoned unused aspect of the post box.

electric - unfortunate but on theme, can almost smell the burning components in there.

direction works well in mono - maybe a small bit of separation would have helped between sign and chimney?

tacky - lovely detail and texture in the old brickwork and peeling paint on the door. the faded reds of the flags helping it all along.

Good work. (y)

Thanks. Yes that actually is cheese and chalk. The letterbox wasn't desaturated - actually bumped the vibrance a notch. Yes I can still just about smell it too. That stuff sticks around for ages. :( The chimney bugs me now you've mentioned it.

Hmmm...chalk n cheese..on theme for sure , good black bg , just not sure about the items....is that chalk dust like you mark a pitch out with ? & the cheese looks like it may have seen better days...though that could be the effect of a macro shot....good shot it the making just needs a touch more work to really to really pop...sorry if that sounds harsh , just saying what I see :crying:

Electric...these bloomin smart phones have pretty darn decent cameras on them....big shame about your 'puter but on the up side it gave you the shot for the theme (y)

Letter.....sad to see that letter box taken out of service.....well spotted & liemthe sort of desaturated feel to it...in keeping with feel of the postbox...if that makes any sense ?

Direction...yup , mono works a treat , just a shame about the chimney

Tacky...like it , plenty of detail in the whole shot...keeps my eye wandering around ..well spotted & pp'd (y)

Cheers. I actually cheated, couldn't find chalk, so used talc. :D The cheese does look a bit rubbish up close, but then it was cheap pre-grated stuff. You're right though, it could do with some work. Everything else as above to save repeating myself. :)

Juxta - good idea for theme But agree with Lynne that it needed a bit more attention

Letter - lovely subdued, faded colours. Nice comp. Just crop off the part numbers at the top and leave the whole '2730'. Not keen on the frame

Electric - on theme and some good colours

Direction - very good use of mono , with those old fashioned finger posts. Agree with Graham about the post/chimney

Tacky - the best of the bunch. Good detail and colour in the brickwork and good textures throughout. Good that the red from the flags has faded - helps the theme

Hiya. I think a slight crop at the top of the post might work true, or edit it out. You can just about see the faded red in the flags, you're right it does help. :)

Thanks for all the comments and feedback guys. (y)

Time to finish catching up. :)

Week 14 - Value(s)

A reminder that sometimes you have to fight for your values, because someone will always want to trample them and replace them with their own.

8685468801_aea7076e0f_b.jpg

Values, very interesting interpretation and on theme for me. IMO, colour would work better, manly because if the vivid red in the swastika. Pity about the reflections.

Greed, on theme. But I find it a bit wide, and therefore it includes the seller's arm. Pity you couldn't have got someone scooping some sweets up.

Angle, on theme and well spotted. Plenty of detail. I'd like to see it square on and perhaps a tad closer.

God show :clap:

Cheers.

Juxtaposition....Nice idea but without the title I would not have guessed straight away what they were.

Letter..That is a sad old Post Box, just the Traffic light is a small distraction

Electric...More about the subject than the shot but it's perfect for the theme.

Direction...very simple shot and suits the B&W conversion, I would have just tweaked the pov as the sign cuts across the top of the chimney.

Tacky....How anyone could have thought bunting would improve that area, very tacky. Take out the bunting and you have a good rustic shot.

Value.....Just needed a polariser to help with some of the reflections.

Greed...great collection of colours and shapes, maybe just a tighter crop to remove fringe distractions.

Angles..I'll try to count them if you have a go first and no cheating. Fits the theme without any explanation.

(y)

hi ya

coooo...my eye's are going funny looking at your Angles shot...well spotted & soooo very on theme (y)

Greed....good colors & shapes...agree on a tighter crop to remove some clutter though

Value....different & interesting take on the theme which I really like......think I agree with Andy re a color version though maybe just some subtle SC on the swastika ?

Values, very interesting interpretation and on theme for me. IMO, colour would work better, manly because if the vivid red in the swastika. Pity about the reflections.

Greed, on theme. But I find it a bit wide, and therefore it includes the seller's arm. Pity you couldn't have got someone scooping some sweets up.

Angle, on theme and well spotted. Plenty of detail. I'd like to see it square on and perhaps a tad closer.

God show :clap:
Thanks. Yeah those reflections are a pain. I wanted to do colour, but the two sides were very unevenly lit so it ended up b&w. :(
Doing it again I might have shot portrait down the line, you're right about the arm.
Thanks. (y)

Juxtaposition....Nice idea but without the title I would not have guessed straight away what they were.

Letter..That is a sad old Post Box, just the Traffic light is a small distraction

Electric...More about the subject than the shot but it's perfect for the theme.

Direction...very simple shot and suits the B&W conversion, I would have just tweaked the pov as the sign cuts across the top of the chimney.

Tacky....How anyone could have thought bunting would improve that area, very tacky. Take out the bunting and you have a good rustic shot.

Value.....Just needed a polariser to help with some of the reflections.

Greed...great collection of colours and shapes, maybe just a tighter crop to remove fringe distractions.

Angles..I'll try to count them if you have a go first and no cheating. Fits the theme without any explanation.
Juxtaposition - I guess I have to buy better cheese! Direction - that damn chimney agin! Tacky - very true, a bit of precognition on my part obviously! Wonder if I can sneak back and remove it? :LOL: Value - I really need to get a good polariser, the only one I have only fits my old kit lens. Angles - no worries I'll give it a pass!

Thanks (y)

Angles, fits nicely.

Thanks!

hi ya

coooo...my eye's are going funny looking at your Angles shot...well spotted & soooo very on theme (y)

Greed....good colors & shapes...agree on a tighter crop to remove some clutter though

Value....different & interesting take on the theme which I really like......think I agree with Andy re a color version though maybe just some subtle SC on the swastika ?

Angles - thanks. I saw it going past on the tram. Jumped off at the next stop and ran back. :) Greed - damn you, cluttery woman! Better framing next time for sure. Value - colour in general looked bad, mixed lighting. SC might work though.

Thanks!

Loving the colours of the sweets in greed - DOF works here - I also think a wider DOF would have also worked well to get them all in focus - framing might have had to be better though.

Great shot with the angles, think the vertical poles running through the shot strenghten it and give all the other angles something to work off of, even the cables running through the shot contribute another angle :LOL:

Values the reflection have been mentioned nice interpretation of the theme though

greed nice colour in the sweets needs a tighter crop

Angles plenty of them there, would also have liked to see them straight on, I have started to count them will get back to you sometime :D

Back