weekly Ray's 52 Project for 2013 - Week 18 - Kind added

Week 1 - Sin

I was going not so much for the sin in the photo, but the sin implied to be going on beside it.

8367692809_676af6410e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Ouzo....lots of bad memories...:nono:

Good angle and the purple really pops for me. Nice focus and WB looks good. I am drawn to the triangle upper right and the hot spot on the glass.

Good start :clap:

Cheers.

nicely composed and the purple is great agree with Andy ouzo is a sin

Thanks. In retrospect I did the blown highlight on the bottle annoying so would probably soften the light more next time.

Ouzu may be a sin, and but it's a nice &, tasty sin. :)

Like the colour and use of dof to blur the booze. Background works well, just needs that top right corner tidied up. Nice start.

Hi Ray...welcome aboard :wave:

Good image to start your project with...you had me a purple...my fav color :D Think I like the POV , the focus on the material ( wondering if focus could've been on the bottle :thinking: ), nice reflective surface...(y) Top corner's been mentioned already

look forward to seeing week 2 (y)

I like it, great colours angle and dof! The dark area on the upper right corners a little distracting but it's still a great shot, particularly like the reflective surface, really gives a 3d effect to the knickers.
Like the colour and use of dof to blur the booze. Background works well, just needs that top right corner tidied up. Nice start.
Hi Ray...welcome aboard :wave:

Good image to start your project with...you had me a purple...my fav color :D Think I like the POV , the focus on the material ( wondering if focus could've been on the bottle :thinking: ), nice reflective surface...(y) Top corner's been mentioned already

look forward to seeing week 2 (y)

Thanks. Originally I shot it with a much clearer background but found it looked a little boring, so pulled in the edge of the mirror (top right) and rearranged to reflect the corner of the room to give a bit of texture to the background. Maybe the mirror's edge was a bit too much though.

Brilliant! Lovely idea, and it works really well!

What was the lighting used?

Basic setup was with the items placed on a mirror, with the corner of the room reflected roughly behind the bottle. Flash was on camera (shotportrait so actually to the left side) angled up into the corner of the room, with a bounce card on the flash directing some directly down onto the subjects.

Week 2 -Season

Pretty straightforward take on the theme. Running a bit late on this one, but hey busy week!

Last edited:
Like it. Minimal and bleak. To minimalise :thinking: more I'd have been tempted to remove the RH BG row of hedges. Although having them in does add depth.

Cheers.

Oh, and if you like this minimal type photography, check out Michael Kenna example here clicky linky

Agree about the distant hedges, but very bleak. If I was to tweak one thing, I'd probably have taken about half the ground between the hedges and the fence away and softened the join, to give a more gentle fade into bleakness, but that might be a PP step to far!

Like it :)

Looks great week 2, really sums up the season at the moment for me. I really like the sloping fence, good stuff :)

Sin, I like the high point of view and the purple really pops but I may have preferred the focus to be on the label of the bottle.

Season, I think this is great with the fence being the main focal point running through the frame and the mist letting you see some faint details to the right.

(y)

Thanks guys, cold and bleak was exactly what I was going for.

One interesting fact is that I took it before the snow this week. Should have seen the face of the cashier at Asda when I walked up with 6 trolleys full of talc.

Anyway, interesting thought on removing the hedges at the back. Gave it a quick shot, not quite sure which I prefer. One one hand it looks a little cleaner and neater, but it also makes the image look very flat too. I think it needs a little something back there just to say "hey this isn't actually the edge of the world."

OOOooo, hmmmmm....:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Decent edit. On viewing both, I'm actually going to opt for your origional. It's always good to have a look at any edit suggestions.

Cheers.

Hi Ray,

Great minimalist composition here - I love it!

I prefer the original with the trees far away in the mist. It gives an inkling that there may be more to see than just the fence and gives the shot some depth.

Drew

Hi Ray, just getting round to visiting everyones threads apologies.

Good start to your 52, sin, I particularly like the vivid colour in this. I feel you have the composition spot on, I like the downward perspective onto the subject.

Season, another vote for your original submission, it has more depth to it with the trees in the background. The diagonal composition of the fence through the frame works well too. Good work Iain

Ray, love this; wonderfully bleak and cold; definitely of the season. And much much better with that distant hedge in place; somehow anchors the whole thing!

OOOooo, hmmmmm....:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Decent edit. On viewing both, I'm actually going to opt for your origional. It's always good to have a look at any edit suggestions.

Cheers.
Was worth a try. Sometimes you don't know if something will work until you do.
Yep I prefer the original... gives that feel of of depth with fog/mist in the far field - really like this, the crop and diagonal fence are spot on for me (y)
Thanks!
Hi Ray,

Great minimalist composition here - I love it!

I prefer the original with the trees far away in the mist. It gives an inkling that there may be more to see than just the fence and gives the shot some depth.

Drew
Thanks. Yeah, it really needs that hint of depth.

I'd agree with what others have said. The original has more depth and also feels a bit more eerie. Nice shot!
Eerie is good. :)
Hi Ray, just getting round to visiting everyones threads apologies.

Good start to your 52, sin, I particularly like the vivid colour in this. I feel you have the composition spot on, I like the downward perspective onto the subject.

Season, another vote for your original submission, it has more depth to it with the trees in the background. The diagonal composition of the fence through the frame works well too. Good work Iain
Thanks, took a fair few tries to get the composition how I wanted it for the first one, but all good practice. :)
Sin - love the colour of the purple in this and unusual composition.

Season - as others have said, very bleak - not something I would want on my wall I don't think, prefer the original as has more depth
Thanks for the comments. I'd not want the Sin one on my wall either. :D
Ray, love this; wonderfully bleak and cold; definitely of the season. And much much better with that distant hedge in place; somehow anchors the whole thing!
Thanks. It certainly does. Didn't realise how important it was until I removed it!

Week 3 - Gravity

Bit disappointed this week. Screwed up the original background so had to remove it. I'll probably redo this at some point.

8416118185_75a01fd7c6_b.jpg

way-hey. This is super duper.

liquid not quite level which I think would really lift it.

Great job on focus and lighting though - i do think it would take apure black BG, giving the real impression of floating in space.

works really well the BG looks black to me and its a nice illusion :clap:

Liking this! Cleverly done. Composition, colours, detail, BG, theme, all spot on, nice shot.

Last edited:
Back