weekly SiblingChris' 52 in 2013

Hi, good catchup.

Value, on theme and nice perspective. Minor crit for me is the clipped upper right poster. Suspect you might not have been able to get it all in without a ladder.

Greed 1 for me. Nice low angle. Colours work well. Not sure about the focus, and not sure why I'm not sure :thinking:. I'd like to see a cleaner BG.

Angles works well. B&w gives it a gritty feel.

Cheers.

Hi, good catchup.

Value, on theme and nice perspective. Minor crit for me is the clipped upper right poster. Suspect you might not have been able to get it all in without a ladder.

Greed 1 for me. Nice low angle. Colours work well. Not sure about the focus, and not sure why I'm not sure :thinking:. I'd like to see a cleaner BG.

Angles works well. B&w gives it a gritty feel.

Cheers.

Thanks.

The value shot was a spur of the moment thing....if I had stepped back to get the top of the first poster in, there would have been other unwanted things in the shot...it was very close to a bus stop and being a Saturday there were lots of people about, so I had about a second or 2 only before anyone walked in front of it....in fact you can see someone's shadow who is just about to walk in front of the last window

Re. Greed 1, I took a couple others with a greater DoF but didn't like them so much, also one focused on the inside of the pot. For me at least this was the better. But actually of the two I personally prefer the coins

Work....The sign really pops from the scene much more in the second edit.

Greed...Nice exposure and looks much better than if you'd had used flash. I agree with Andy that the empty packet might not be needed.

Time...I prefer the first shot but would have liked the subject with just a tiny bit more room to the right.

Letter...2 great shots, I'm leaning more to the second as I think the extra amount of rubbish left adds to the overall shot.

Electric...Simple shot right on theme and a good selection of batteries for the subjects.

Direction...I like your thinking with this one, just a little bit more dof for me for one more line of text but very difficult to do.

Tacky....Another simple but very effective shot, I agree about the ball of White..Blu tack is probably unnecessary.

Value...That certainly shows them offering you value for money. I'd probably have cropped it just short of the vertical white part between the last 2 windows.

Greed...I much prefer the shot of the coins, lots of detail and great lighting.

Angle...I think I would have tried just a slightly different angle to show more of the A frame legs you can just see on the right. The B&W works quite well and the graffiti adds to the overall shot.

hi Chris

Greed....hummim n arrhing about the focus....like it but something just not quite there for me....& with it being low fat maybe more than 1 pot in the shot ?

value....nice n sharp , you've managed the verticals really well & lovely vibrant colors :)

Angle...yeah , good shot...like the angle , DOF & gritty feel to it :)

Not sure whether I will take more shots this week....I am hoping that I will have time to get down to a local country windmill.

Anyway here is my rustic entry, colour and b&w versions

personally I would have preferred a wider shot, but still sticking to plan and using my 35mm lens I was as far away as possible sat on a wall at the edge of the mill pond.

Week 17 - Rustic 1 by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Week 17 - Rustic 2 by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
first off - colour one for me definately.....

and a 'slightly' wider shot would work too, but (y) for sticking to your plan - realised I'd not had mine on for a while this week!!

Lovely texture in the brickwork - just caught the motion of the wheel and the dripping of the water off it....

Good choice on the shutter speed - just enough to catch a bit of movement, but not so the wheel gets too 'soft'.

certainly works for me i have no preference between colour or B+W I see what you mean about a wider shot but the pic has all the elements it needs

Quick catch up, I'm afraid :D

Rustic. I prefer the colour. Nice detail and angle. I'd like to see it closer, mainly to exclude the LH trees.

Cheers.

The B&W works a lot better than the colour, the details seem to pop out a little more. My only minor point is the edge of the wheel is a little too close to the right hand side.

Another vote for the colour one here. You're right, a little wider would have been good, but it's always good to use lenses you might have stopped using for whatever reason. Don't neglect them. :)

Hi Chris

Angles - good idea, on theme. B&W works well. Would have liked to have seen more of the leg to right as this would have added more angles and in a different direction.

Rustic - colour for me as it has more of a country feel with the late winter colours and lighting. for the theme I quite like the inclusion of the tree and hill to add to the context

Another vote for the colour one here. You're right, a little wider would have been good, but it's always good to use lenses you might have stopped using for whatever reason. Don't neglect them. :)

Cheers....it's not that. I have set out at the start with my 52 to use the 35mm f1.8g lens I have for the entire challenge :)

Hi Chris

Angles - good idea, on theme. B&W works well. Would have liked to have seen more of the leg to right as this would have added more angles and in a different direction.

Rustic - colour for me as it has more of a country feel with the late winter colours and lighting. for the theme I quite like the inclusion of the tree and hill to add to the context

Good thought on angles, except it would have been obscured by the bench part....I also was trying to stay close enough for the graffiti to remain easily readable :)

The B&W works a lot better than the colour, the details seem to pop out a little more. My only minor point is the edge of the wheel is a little too close to the right hand side.

I tend to agree about the b&w, but it seems to have split opinions.
What's "too close"? Is there in your opinion a technical right and wrong to that? Sorry, did that sound bolshie? Not my intention, just thinking from a learning pov and improving my composition skills :)

Been scrabbling around all week trying to find my old cassette copy of this album so I ciould take an old skool photo alongside my original sony walkman....couldn't find it, so settled on the CD instead.

This is pretty much as shot, bit of contrast editing and dust removal from the CD.

Week 4 - Wild 1 by Sibling Chris, on Flickr
Opppps - here it is :D

Nice image too, shame about the cd stack reflection, but love the colour/shine :)

What's "too close"? Is there in your opinion a technical right and wrong to that? Sorry, did that sound bolshie? Not my intention, just thinking from a learning pov and improving my composition skills :)

Not bolshie at all mate it's just personal to each of us how we frame our subjects. There is no right or wrong just what works for you.

So bit of a catch-up to try and give me the rest of the week to think about "Pattern" :thinking:

Not much to say about this one, other than I thought it fit the bill on multiple levels "three of a kind" in the card sense and then different kinds of fish

These cards were picked up cheap on holiday in the Maldives some years back, so brings back some happy memories :)

Week 18 - Kind by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
liking the cards - nice whites and blacks there - presuming you had it on tripod for this? A bit more DOF for me I think, the slight OOF on the King just catching my eye a bit.

A bit more DOF on the vertical hyacinths too please, really tempting to always go to f/1.8 is'nt it, guilty of that myself sometimes too. Feel that if I stop down to f/5 or 6 I may as well have just used the kit lens :LOL:

Just seems that the front of the plant is not quite sharp, and the one behind the focal plant is interfering a bit. Shame there isn;t a DOF preview button on the Nikon's! But the background works well here and the green and purpley blue work for me too.

liking the cards - nice whites and blacks there - presuming you had it on tripod for this? A bit more DOF for me I think, the slight OOF on the King just catching my eye a bit.

A bit more DOF on the vertical hyacinths too please, really tempting to always go to f/1.8 is'nt it, guilty of that myself sometimes too. Feel that if I stop down to f/5 or 6 I may as well have just used the kit lens :LOL:

Just seems that the front of the plant is not quite sharp, and the one behind the focal plant is interfering a bit. Shame there isn;t a DOF preview button on the Nikon's! But the background works well here and the green and purpley blue work for me too.

Thanks for the comments.
Took quite a few shots of the grape hyacinths and that was my favourite, it didn't seem to work so well with a wider DoF, but on the other hand as you point out the very front of the flowers is not sharp as a result....it was hand held though, unlike the cards shot

I generally like a shallow DoF, but like anything I guess it can be overdone. I think I might avoid it on my pattern shot for this week though ;)

Last edited:
Hi Chris,
Well done on your catch-up (y)
I like your kind image, the little backstory about where you got the cards and the memories from them makes it all the more interesting. Technically very good too, sharp, strong contrast with some vivid colours thrown in (y)

I agree with Grahams comments about vertical but also yours for your dof choice, its always a compromise with this against artistic choice.

Hi Chris, I've got to do a big catch-up, too!

Value: nice and colourful, I think this is a well-taken shot. I'd blame the slight lean on the windows on the 35mm lens, I think!

Greed 1: Nice composition, but I think the depth of field treatment doesn't really work in this case. I feel you need a "subject" in focus, and I don't really see it here.

Greed 2: nice colours and sharp, but in terms of composition, why is it more than just a lot of coins?

Angle: nice, strong, black and white treatment. There's a lot of bottom left to top right movement (and back), but not much taking my eye up to the top left. I wondered if something left on the table might do it?

Rustic: I really like that, lots of lovely texture. Since the colour version is almost monochrome, the mono version seems much better to me!

Kind: liking this... to some extent. I'm not quite sure what's bugging me. I like that it's a "hand", so it makes sense from that point of view. I think it's the fish that jar a bit for me! It's daft, but they just don't quite feel right without a bit more context... sorry about that.

Vertical: this is a nice shot, but I would definitely go for a bit more depth of field, as others have said. Not all of your key plan is in focus, and most of the background ones are so out of focus I can't even see that they too are vertical grape hyacinths. But the colours are spot on, and the blurred blue in the background provides some good leding lines to take my eye around.

Here is my pattern shot for the week with an obvious amount of editing.

I have "ummed & ah'ed" about buying Photoshop but have decided to stick with the free GIMP, so I used this after some basic tweaks in Lightroom

I took a shot of a solar light we have on the garden table which has an interesting pattern and therefore casts some interesting shapes across the table and the patio. IT started off a fairly bright white. I think its fairly obvious what I did in GIMP :)

Week 20 - Pattern by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hey Chris I really like this. Clever, and just with gimp too! (I also have gimp but not Photoshop; however I've never managed to learn how to do anything much with gimp.)

For me the darkness at the top of the lights is (are) fine. The only slight niggle is the two-way symmettry of the image (apart from the colour). Did you try different placings? I'm not sure if it would work or not.

Hey Chris I really like this. Clever, and just with gimp too! (I also have gimp but not Photoshop; however I've never managed to learn how to do anything much with gimp.)

For me the darkness at the top of the lights is (are) fine. The only slight niggle is the two-way symmettry of the image (apart from the colour). Did you try different placings? I'm not sure if it would work or not.

I have an old photoshop elements 5... But recently GIMP has taken over, it has colour channels etc that aren't in PSE. It's not as nice to use, but you get used to it

My only thought about the symmetry was the sort of distinct line I ended up with down the middle, i did try a few things. I would have preferred it to have merged gradually the colours but I struggled to know how to do that to be honest. It sort of reminds me of a disco, which I like :)

Hi ya

Pattern.....great bit of pp with strong primary colors & good reflections....no crit from just a mahoooosive (y)(y)

Vertical...like flower shots & love purpley blues so on to a winner with me....DOF can be a pain but it kinda gives this shot a soft dreamy type feel

5 of a Kind...fab black BG , some good jump out colors & a lovely backstory (y)

Well I have a few ideas on the go for movement, generally of the long exposure variety.

This is my first attempt; fits the movement theme in terms of my moving hands and also movement in the sense of being part of a musical composition.

I had a few other ideas that I didn't execute so well, so will most likely re-try through the week

Week 21 - Movement 1 by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice and crisp apart from the moving hand, just enough movement as well.

It looks a bit like a spider though :)

that works in the 2 ways, musical movement and the hand movement, the only crit would be perhaps a little more of the hands in view :thinking:

Vertical, nice depth of field creating a very pleasing image. Pattern works really well and bang on topic. movement is nice and sharp and again bang on topic (y)

Back