weekly aljazzeras 2013 52-week 52 WATER added COMPLETE

that weaver bird shot is awesome :clap:, loving the feather detail, beautifully backlit by the sun, separated (just) from the leaves in the foreground.

Really like it, who cares how loose it is for the theme (would "hard at 'work'" fit any better??)

Morning, Abbey windows is nice. Good detail, rule of odds :D and well composed. Candidate for a high contrast B&W IMO.

Nesting time. Very well spotted and captured. Lovely yellows in the winds and a hint of red in the eye. Can't decide whether a bit of motion blur in the wings would make any difference :thinking:

Cheers

Hi Matey :wave:

loving your vertcial pan...didn't see the version with the stones :crying: Great colors & definately worthy of framing , lovely muted tones with a hint of texture.....dust bunnyalert :eek:

Reshoot of Time....perfectly caught motion , great lighting....hint of it's red eye...fab , just fab :clap::clap:

The other Vertcial...wooden slats ? like the colors , textures but not a patch on the pan

Vertical #1 for me, and the bird is a fantastic shot. Pattern is a great idea, and the colour and sharpness of the flesh is beautiful... such detail. Given the delicacy of the centre, I think the solid darkness of the skin is maybe a little harsh (on my screen anyway), but I'm guessing that's a really hard balance to strike.

That is very nice, can't fault it.

Nice texture.

Thanks

Vertical #1 for me, and the bird is a fantastic shot. Pattern is a great idea, and the colour and sharpness of the flesh is beautiful... such detail. Given the delicacy of the centre, I think the solid darkness of the skin is maybe a little harsh (on my screen anyway), but I'm guessing that's a really hard balance to strike.

thanks
The solid darkness of the skin is because its lit from underneath I did try to light the top but it didn't work as well

hi Allan

Fast out of the blocks again(y)

Pattern - such a simple idea and very well handled. Detail, colour , texture - it has it all. Smashing shot :clap:

Thanks
The only time I have for this is the weekend so I try to get a pic early sometimes it works, I try not to over think it or it gets frustrating.

cant help but think that more light on the skin is needed - but as you tried it and it didn't work, I'm happy to go with this, loving the detail in the centre, even down to the catch of the little bubbles and differences in opacities within the segments

The weaver bird is just superb, where was it taken?

I also love the lemon, you have a great set of images.

Yeah, cracking detail. The black edge works well.

Cheers.

Thanks

cant help but think that more light on the skin is needed - but as you tried it and it didn't work, I'm happy to go with this, loving the detail in the centre, even down to the catch of the little bubbles and differences in opacities within the segments

difficult to get the skin lit because of the nature of the lime it was reflecting off the surface leaving annoying highlights

The weaver bird is just superb, where was it taken?

I also love the lemon, you have a great set of images.

Thanks it was taken in Chester zoo

Lovely texture, I find it a tad dark. Great detail though! (y)

thanks i admit the skin is dark but unavoidable

Hi Alan

Thats a fantastic sharp photo. But its too frozen for the theme for me. But I always seem to be the lone voice

Being a traditionalist I really like your pattern photo. The lighting on the lime is wonderful.

Hi Allan, you've really caught the moment with Holly. Bang on theme, it shows movement IMHO. Wonderfully sharp, well lit, technically very good (y)

H, Movement, yeah, works really well. Implied movement. Like it. It would have been easy to use a slightly longer shutter speed to emphasise movement but I feel this one works better.

Cheers.

Pattern, I like this for the detail and the darker effect from lighting being behind.

Nice and sharp, I like this a lot, well taken (y)

Thanks

Hi Alan

Thats a fantastic sharp photo. But its too frozen for the theme for me. But I always seem to be the lone voice

Too frozen:thinking:

Hi Allan, you've really caught the moment with Holly. Bang on theme, it shows movement IMHO. Wonderfully sharp, well lit, technically very good (y)

Thank you

H, Movement, yeah, works really well. Implied movement. Like it. It would have been easy to use a slightly longer shutter speed to emphasise movement but I feel this one works better.

Cheers.

Thanks

Hi Allan :)

Movement - A great example how freezing movement can still create the feel/look of motion, lovely and sharp & like the chosen crop (y)

Thanks

As everyone has said, the sharpness stands out here, and the posture of the dog implies enough movement to satisfy the theme too.

Well done. (y)

Movement - I like it! Nicely timed and good 'n' sharp, although I think a bit of movement actually in the shot (i.e. a slower shutter speed / panning type shot) would've worked well too. Tricky with a dog as the subject I admit!

Good framing and position of Holly, I spend a lot of time shooting my dogs in the garden but usually head on.

below by allanhowe, on Flickr

Tried a few different things for this but I think this one came out on top, because of the lens distortion had to play about with skew in Elements, if the bridge was straight the water was sloping, hopefully this is ok

Last edited:
Hi Alan, wow memory lane! I fished under this bridge with my dad one night around 1977, caught a few eels and had the best pea and ham soup I have ever tasted from a flask. One of only 2 times I ever fished the Dee this far down. (I lived in Wrexham then) Thank you, You brought a tear to my eye.

A,hem!

I think you have done a Bloody Marvelous job on the exposure here, I love the detail and colours everywhere. Well done :clap:

Love the sharpness of Movement, really well captured. Love the perspective of Below, and the sky is beautiful, really tops it off.

2 great recent posts Allan, marvellous capture of the leaping dog, no movement blur needed here for me, when the whole dogs super sharp like that.

below is a stunner too - great job on the processing to bring out the details under the bridge - nicely framed each side by the trees and the busyness of the opposite bank all contributing to a great shot. Perspective spot-on after your tweaking. (y)

Hi ya Allan

cracking shot for Below...spot on exposure , plenty of detail & great sky....lovely lovely...top shot mister (y)
one really small niggle....the boat just creeping in tothe shhot botom leftish side...maybe clone it out ? very minor though

Below is a cracking picture, nicely composed and really vibrant colours.

Hi Allan

Movement - spot on for me, very dynamic pose, good focus and really good colours. Bit fascinated by what he has in his mouth - looks like a bag of water.

below - big impact shot with good colours and exposure and an excellent sky. I suppose that the 3 storey building on the right is a bit skewy because of all the work that you have done on the perspective but really I only saw that as i cast around for any crit. Good job(y)

Back