weekly aljazzeras 2013 52-week 52 WATER added COMPLETE

tacky..prefer the edit, but I probably would have ended up somewhere between the two personally

it seems a bit noisy to me also and I can see you in the reflection ;)

Have now edited between the two i think its better:thinking:

:)

I would say don't bother and please yourself!
of course listen and learn and take that on into the next shot, but its too easy to get fixated on something you've already done and it can take the enjoyment out of it a bit if you're not careful imho :shake:

I do tend to please myself the point about editing i think is the fact that i now tend to think about how things look not such a bad thing

Hi Allan :wave:

Direction: Great composition but a little dark for me. Sky is a bit heavy nevertherless, well executed and original. (y)

Tacky: Great shot with lighter version. Well in theme. Good use of depth of field and focus.

interesting about it being a little dark, really? thats sort of the point.

Thanks for the comments

Tacky... yes, very!! :LOL:

the first dark version looked a bit like she had a unicorns horn coming out her forehead. edits are better!

Love the reflections in the shiny ball base too. The coulds add to the shot, and the photgrapher's in there too. almost a SP of sorts!

Tacky...yes. Maybe just a little creepy also.
Like the reflection of clouds in the shiney ball.

Direction: The sky really helps make the picture. Great shot!

Tacky: Well on theme, nice dof.

Tacky, spot on theme :puke: I didn't see the earlier shots but this looks great now. Bravo (y)

I also included myself in my tacky shot - what are we saying about ourselves :LOL:

Last edited:
Hi Allan,

I never saw the other versions of tacky but this one seems bang on for me.
It has a lot of interesting elements to it which I think grabs the viewers eye.
Compositionally, good choice the figure has space to look into.

Value, lurking about in graveyards again? :cautious:

#2 gets my vote, I like the depth of the scene, it also suits the B&W conversion too. Nice detail captured in the headstones. Good work (y)

Hi Allan,

I never saw the other versions of tacky but this one seems bang on for me.
It has a lot of interesting elements to it which I think grabs the viewers eye.
Compositionally, good choice the figure has space to look into.

Value, lurking about in graveyards again? :cautious:

#2 gets my vote, I like the depth of the scene, it also suits the B&W conversion too. Nice detail captured in the headstones. Good work (y)

Thanks, I do seem to have spent a lot of time in the local cemetery I might do the rest of the 52 from there :wacky:

I stay away from those places, I'll make up for it when the time comes :LOL:

I much prefer #2, nice composition and DOF works well, just a suggestion but I think it would be even better if you were to clone out that stick... The B&W conversion really drives the mood of this home, nice work.

Way behind on comments, so here goes...

Wild - Love the clarity of the lion and the detail on the fur. A really strong image.

Space - A lovely landscape. Did you use stacking for this or is it one shot?

Work - Stunning shot, especially as you did it without a tripod. The only negatives for me are the cables near the bottom of the shot.

Gluttony - Bang on, and I think the B&W really adds to the image. Really wasn't expecting this considering your shot for Work!

Juxtaposition - I like the second one most, particularly the detail of the Tudor building on the left compared to the bland newer building on the right.

Letter - I think the shadows add depth to it, and I like the dof.

Electric - Lovely composition and contrast in colours between the two guitars.

Direction - Great image. I love the almost silhouette of the statue, and the colours in the sky really add to the image. The addition of the passage is really humbling too.

Tacky - Oh yes, tacky indeed. The only negative for me is your reflection, but it doesn't really distract. DoF is spot on too.

Value - Another stunning image. Perfect DoF, composition and lighting. Definitely the first one for me, though that's not meant to take anything away from the second one.

Tacky.......great subject choice, the quality of work on the fairy is nicely captured.

Value.......Strong meaning and 2 strong shots too, for me the second showing a little more details to read.

Last edited:
Allan,

Ah! Back to the future, no longer in 2012 :bonk:

All i can say is it's brilliant mate. Fantastic image. Sadly, i can't post my image as it is complete pants after seeing yours

Thanks very much, its not about what I do its how you have interpreted the theme

Tacky.......great subject choice, the quality of work on the fairy is nicely captured.

Value.......Strong meaning and 2 strong shots too, for me the second showing a little more details to read.

thanks

Hi, there, I actually prefer #1. Not sure why, maybe the fact the name isn't fully visible.

Value, indeed.

Cheers.

I prefer 1 too the wife says 2 I'm still not sure

Hi Allan :)

Value - The first image is really nice, but my OCD doesn't like the different shape headstone - the 2nd shot for me is faultless mate, a cracker :clap:

you and your OCD, thanks

In terms of quality there's nothing between them for me, but the uniformity of the stones in #2 makes the difference I think. A powerful take on the theme too!

2nd one takes it by a way for me, left to right perspective always gets you off to a great start, the uniformity of the headstones works to show the number of carbon copy graves there are likely to be there from a time of war, which backs up your thinking on the value given to the life of the individuals.....

Great processing too, bringing a sombre feel to the shot.

Hi ya :wave:

Tacky....can't decide what's Tackier...the item or the fact it's in a graveyard , ye gods .Still , good find & well shot given it's a shiny item

Value...2nf shot for me...just beautiful & fits the theme in a very sombre & provoking way...excellent throughout :clap::clap:

Squirrel by allanhowe, on Flickr

The themes this year have been poor, uninspiring really, are we really going through every one of the seven deadly sins? was going to post a pic I took in February as some of the themes are last years I didn't see why not.
Went out this morning and took this, and as he was a greedy little fellow this will do.

Lets hope things improve or this may well be the last one.

No graveyards where used in the taking of this picture

Last edited:
Allan, that is a cracking shot. Great detail, even to the extent that the little blighter has crumbs on his hands. Brilliant. Focus, composition and DoF excellent.

Obviously my skills are nowhere near as good so as to produce an image like this so feel a little guilty in suggesting if there is anything that can be done with the background which drags the eye from the beautiful squirrel. Probably because im curious as to what it is!

My skills in PP are rather limited hence the question.

Cheers

Alan

Allan, that is a cracking shot. Great detail, even to the extent that the little blighter has crumbs on his hands. Brilliant. Focus, composition and DoF excellent.

Obviously my skills are nowhere near as good so as to produce an image like this so feel a little guilty in suggesting if there is anything that can be done with the background which drags the eye from the beautiful squirrel. Probably because im curious as to what it is!

My skills in PP are rather limited hence the question.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan for the comment the background is just shrubs and trees as far as i remember, I am not that good at PP have just bought a copy of PS elements but am still getting my head around it so not sure what I could do with the BG I used Aperture to PP this.

Hi Alan

don't you go quitting on us mister.....but I agree totally with your comments about this years themes..:bang:

That's said , you produce a belter of a Squirrel portrait , great composition , fab use of DOF , lovely detail right down to the crumbs on his paws ....top work mister :clap::clap:

Top squirrel shot Allan - beautifully on theme due to the two nuts he's holding in his little squirrel hands!

He must've been pretty close to have got him at 74mm too.

Even if it wasn't on theme, which it certainly is, not to mention being a rather good take on it, that would be a stunning shot. Not much more I can say really. :)

Works for the theme IMO.

Can't really offer much in the way of crit, it's a cracking shot all round. (y)

Greed....You must have been pretty close to the little fella, nice and sharp and the back ground to the left isn't too distracting. I've seen this type of oof effect before and it's usually bare branches too many straight..ish lines, if they had some leaves on it would have looked much softer.

Hi Allan, are you still with us? I know what you mean about the themes being a but repetitive and a struggle!

Anyhow, I really like your value shots. They're perfect for the theme and very somber. I too prefer number two, I like that you can see more of the writing on the head stone and the detail in it (y)

Greed, great detail in this little chap, I especially like that you can see what he's munching on, nice nuts and all that :whistle: Nice DOF blurring the background (y)

I hope this weeks theme has provided you with more inspiration.

Wow, they are BOTH great. #1 straight out of a architecture mag and #2 belongs in the tate. Good stuff (y)

#1 works for me as an almost abstract piece....

nice composition in each of the three individual shots and working well as a triptych too.

Is #2 as simple as 7 pieces of poster paper arranged?? If so beautifil simplicity and perfect arrangement there too.

Good job.

Hi, both are on theme and it would have been #1 for me, just looks a tad dark. Subtle HDR would really bring out the shadows.

#2, on theme, compositions looks good and it really pops.

Cheers.

Hi Allan

Greed - cracking shot. Lovely detail and colours in the face, fur and nuts. Like the foreground and pov too. On theme. One I am struggling with.

Angles - 2 excellent shots. Like #1 cos i like good urban scapes and it has a real abstract feel, whilst being recognisably buildings. Good colours and pov. A bit dark but only minor cos much to handle there.

#2 is super . really vibrant colours and put together well. Simple and very effective(y)

#1 I have no idea what or where it is but brill. Love it.

Great colours in #2.

Well done mate. I'm really struggling...........

Thank you Its the HQ building in Chester

Definitely covered all the angles there.

Nice, clean and sharp.

Thanks

Wow, they are BOTH great. #1 straight out of a architecture mag and #2 belongs in the tate. Good stuff (y)

Thanks Brian
#1 works for me as an almost abstract piece....

nice composition in each of the three individual shots and working well as a triptych too.

Is #2 as simple as 7 pieces of poster paper arranged?? If so beautifil simplicity and perfect arrangement there too.

Good job.

My original idea was to use just one of the pics but thought they may look better together. yes number 2 is just coloured paper.

Hi, both are on theme and it would have been #1 for me, just looks a tad dark. Subtle HDR would really bring out the shadows.

#2, on theme, compositions looks good and it really pops.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy I know they are a touch dark but the weather was horrible on Sunday I wanted a nice blue sky but as with all plans :bang: will have to try some HDR next time I have the same problem

Hi Allan

Greed - cracking shot. Lovely detail and colours in the face, fur and nuts. Like the foreground and pov too. On theme. One I am struggling with.

Angles - 2 excellent shots. Like #1 cos i like good urban scapes and it has a real abstract feel, whilst being recognisably buildings. Good colours and pov. A bit dark but only minor cos much to handle there.

#2 is super . really vibrant colours and put together well. Simple and very effective(y)

thanks I feel the sky is the problem if it was blue I might have been able to lighten it more but it kept getting washed out too much, damn weather

Back