52 From Dark Star - 52/52 Texture :) (Phew!)

Dark Star

TPer Emeritus
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Well welcome to part two :) If you're interested my first 26 are here :)

So the second half starts of with Highlight - I will be posting a second highlight shot later in the week from last week but I've left my files at home

Meanwhile out with the macro lens and the bike rear lamp and voila:

3723786243_f02bab3f62_o.jpg

I admit I struggled to find a subject for this one :( and lost a bit of oomph this week but like Marcus I'm gonna keep going :)

Last edited:
Really like the abstract feeling of this one John and the colour is great.A big (y) from me.

You know how much I love abstract details :D

And I for one are glad you are staying with us. I think it's the halfway blues, cos I got it as well. It's PSMD - post six month's depression :LOL:

Cropped into the centre of the frame I think this could work, the left hand side distracts a bit for me, I'm being tough but you have taken some superb shots.

Your inspiration, your dark, simple was good, surprise... well it would be unfair to expect that every week, the idea you had with that one made me jealous and the shot needed not introduction but this weeks left me a bit cold.

You are capable of more, I see the hightlights, nice repeating pattern but when in doubt get close, then closer :D

Hope you can forgive my honest opinion.Feel free to discard and ignore.

Really like the abstract feeling of this one John and the colour is great.A big (y) from me.

You know how much I love abstract details

And I for one are glad you are staying with us. I think it's the halfway blues, cos I got it as well. It's PSMD - post six month's depression :LOL:

Thanks Jill Much appreciated - PMSD :) That might be Pre rather than post :D

Cropped into the centre of the frame I think this could work, the left hand side distracts a bit for me, I'm being tough but you have taken some superb shots.

Your inspiration, your dark, simple was good, surprise... well it would be unfair to expect that every week, the idea you had with that one made me jealous and the shot needed not introduction but this weeks left me a bit cold.

You are capable of more, I see the hightlights, nice repeating pattern but when in doubt get close, then closer :D

Hope you can forgive my honest opinion.Feel free to discard and ignore.

Ah Gary many many thanks for that :) I know what you mean and I bottled out from the mega abstract close up thinking it would be too much but maybe that was an error in judgment :)

I left the left hand side in to give it context, shape and an idea 'what' it was

Hmmm I may resubmit Give me 30 mins :)

Don't you love this challenge :)

To some extent I agree with Hyster - and given you've got the dreaded 'half-way' blues it's a good shot, but the centre and right hand side of this shot is up to your usual strong, graphic style, and imho, the rim of the light doesn't add much to it.

The patterning of the main area could stand proud and strong on its own. (y)

I hope that makes sense. :)

Looking forward to seeing the second highlight, John :)

btw - don't even think of quitting :rules::rules: :bat::bat: :)

Jean

I much prefer this, by miles but hey, error of judgement is my middle name(y)

Seriously, I think its an improvement.

Full marks to you for taking crit and updating a shot, now you just need to learn to listen to folk who actually know what they are talking about and ignore folk like me :nuts:

To some extent I agree with Hyster - and given you've got the dreaded 'half-way' blues it's a good shot, but the centre and right hand side of this shot is up to your usual strong, graphic style, and imho, the rim of the light doesn't add much to it.

btw - don't even think of quitting

Jean

Jean I'm shaking in me boots :( and thanks for the comments ;)

I much prefer this, by miles but hey, error of judgement is my middle name(y)

Seriously, I think its an improvement.

Full marks to you for taking crit and updating a shot, now you just need to learn to listen to folk who actually know what they are talking about and ignore folk like me :nuts:

Gary - we're here to learn and good honest constructive comments are welcomed - everyone knows why they like or dislike a shot but not everyone feels able to articulate it :) I'm glad you did :D(y)

btw - don't even think of quitting :rules::bat: :)

Jean

Ooops - sorry John - the old typing's getting a bit slow. :LOL:

Your second red light (?) is just what I had in mind - your usual flair for abstraction, colour and general brilliance. :) Love it. (y)

Jean

Ooops - sorry John - the old typing's getting a bit slow. :LOL:

Your second red light (?) is just what I had in mind - your usual flair for abstraction, colour and general brilliance. :) Love it. (y)

Jean

Thanks Jean - much appreciated - I shall add the 'real' highlight shot at the weekend ;)

Gotta agree John, whilst the first one is well exposed etc, that edge just doesn't cut it. The crop is much much better (y)

I look forward to seeing the "real" highlight shot too, but I have to say that I'm impressed by the amount of detail that you've captured in the bike lamp.

The second one is definitely better in terms of being a piece of art - I'd like to play with it under some different lighting though and see if you could get some more interesting reflections.

ooo i liek the close up best nice texture :)

Thanks Ruth!

Gotta agree John, whilst the first one is well exposed etc, that edge just doesn't cut it. The crop is much much better (y)

Cheers John I think I pulled it back in the end :)

I look forward to seeing that/them. ;);)

Jean

No sooner said than done ....

I look forward to seeing the "real" highlight shot too, but I have to say that I'm impressed by the amount of detail that you've captured in the bike lamp.

The second one is definitely better in terms of being a piece of art - I'd like to play with it under some different lighting though and see if you could get some more interesting reflections.

Thanks Sarah - I have a few more with different lighting angles - some of which may be better I think - I think, for this one, I suffered a loss of 'mojo' :)

Ok apologies and I hope you don't mind indulging me in this one - I couldn't see the wood for the trees last week and in life terms THIS was the highlight (possibly of the year :))

April's graduation (btw the berobed gentleman shaking her hand is the former British governor of Hong Kong Chris Patten)

3730921265_a7e9b51fee_o.jpg

Congrats to April on graduating. I like it John. This may sound odd, but in that shot you've caught all the emotions I bet she was feeling... Happiness... Nervousness etc. (y)

Congrats to April on graduating. I like it John. This may sound odd, but in that shot you've caught all the emotions I bet she was feeling... Happiness... Nervousness etc. (y)

Thanks John - and I get what you mean - her expression and posture both add up to those emotions somehow :)

Aah, that´s the one I was expecting. :D

And a very emotional highlight too.:crying:

And who was the miserable so and so in the middle of the 'dignitaries'?

in that shot you've caught all the emotions

A great keepsake John (y)
Congrats to April
and like t'other John, I can see all sorts of emotions in her face
( A pretty girl too, I bet you are very proud (y))

Congrats to April, I remember my graduation, just! A very cold and horrible day in Bristol.

I like the shot and definitely a highlight.

:agree: , nothing more needs adding (y)

Well done for getting such a good shot, John. I seem to remember I'd have needed t least a 600mm lens to get a shot like that when our kids graduated.

A fantastic memory of a really special day, and I hope April's pleased with it, too. Thanks for sharing it.

Jean

Ah for a 600mm This was taken with the Tamron 28-75mm lucky to get in the gallery too Thanks Jean!

Aah, that´s the one I was expecting. :D

And a very emotional highlight too.

And who was the miserable so and so in the middle of the 'dignitaries'?

No idea and nor does April - the older guys in the west ham colours and the guy far right were her faves :)

A great keepsake John (y)
Congrats to April
and like t'other John, I can see all sorts of emotions in her face
( A pretty girl too, I bet you are very proud )

Thanks Chris rest assured her looks aren't from me :) And yes indeed we're very proud :)

Congratulations to April

I can see why that was the highlight of your week (month / year !), and you've done a really good job of capturing the moment.

That's definitely one to print and keep I think.

Thank you very much Sarah :D

Congrats to April, I remember my graduation, just! A very cold and horrible day in Bristol.

I like the shot and definitely a highlight.

Newcastle wasn't too bright Mark :LOL: Thanks mate :)

:agree: , nothing more needs adding
Corky - many thanks (y)

And now, a little late, but here is: Fun - if you don't recognise it a toy from the 60s/70s :D

There was no other purpose to this invention but FUN as far as I recall :D

3743296109_50b9e34ee2_o.jpg

Oooh... I remember them.. I don't remember them ever looking that shiny though John. Very nice, I agree with Jean on the colours.

Superb, who'd have thought a slinky could be so photogenic. I remember you had to a have good slinky otherwise fun was more like frustration.

Love it(y)

Great shot of the slinky! :clap::clap:
Lovely background colours - it just jumps right out at you.

I'm really enjoying macro shots these days.(y)

Fantastic updated highlight shot, you must be really proud.

I really like the fun shot the contrast between the blue highlights and the orange background work really well, nice shot.

Love the shot of the slinky..the colours are fanstastic! Also love the bike light (especially the second one).

Catchup again I'm afraid!!

Highlight: love the second abstract picture the best, really nicely done!! :clap:

The second shot of April's graduation is also a great shot, and an unforgettable memory!! :clap: :clap:

Fun: The second reference to Toy Story today!! Brilliant toy, and your shot (again almost abstract) is a great shot!!

Last edited:
Sorry I missed all these shots!
Highlight, prefer the first shot, lovely idea, and oh so cosy looking!

Fun gets a (y) from me, love the colours in this, simplicty, yet convays the theme too! (y)

Catch up time...

Highlight #1 - Bits of this work really well but the rim of the light and the top right hand corner aren't doing it for me.

Highlight Edit - Much prefer this second crop, nothing there to detract from the stong pattern in the light.

Highlight #2 - You've caught a great pose and expression there - I know from my graduation that the whole thing is a bit surreal but in a good way! Congratulations to April (y)

Fun - fantastic choice of background colour, really compliments the shiny slinky, and the use of DOF is spot on. :clap:

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments on Fun :) I did enjoy that one!

And thanks for all the congrats to April who has luckily managed to land herself a job :)

Easy - oooh I struggled to think of how I could interpret this one!

And then music came to the rescue....The Commodores in fact :)

Yep - Easy...Like Sunday Morning :D

3758141372_9a9158126c_o.jpg

I found this really really hard to set up and shoot and probably spent more time on this one than many others I've taken for this challenge

I hope it works for you :)

The slinky is spot on (y)
What did you use to give the background colour? Was it just coloured card or is that something you've done in processing?

Either way it's really effective. Well done from me :)

Sarah - nearly forgot to answer - I bought some square felt sheets from a craft shot and moved in close :) Perhaps a touch of saturation as well :)

Easy - oooh I struggled to think of how I could interpret this one!

And then music came to the rescue....The Commodores in fact :)

Yep - Easy...Like Sunday Morning :D

I found this really really hard to set up and shoot and probably spent more time on this one than many others I've taken for this challenge

I hope it works for you :)

I had that song in my head too...

I really like this - it's got a lovely light feeling to it. The food looks scrummy and the DOF for the newspaper is spot on. The only thing that is bothering me is the place mat - it looks like it's hiding a lovely wodden table underneath that would have made for a less busy / colouful background.

Back