weekly 52 in 2013: Brian of Bozeat : COMPLETE

Now, now...Brian ;)

Not often I read previous replies, I have too say.

I've read other's feedback and was of the opinion (before reading them), that 5 was too many. For me, though, I wasn't keen on the 'I' format. IMO #s 1, 3 and 5 in a horizontal format would work better.

Cheers and I assume you've put the car down now :D

Thanks I started with a horizontal format (as I explained earlier)

Hi Brian,
Speed, certainly on theme, you've gave yourself a bit of a challenge with the placing/composition of 5 images haven't you?

Not sure how I would tackle that :thinking:

I like the sequence through the frames, my only crit is that image #4 is a little too oof for my eye.
I appreciate the difficulty with this so (y) for your endeavours.

Cheers

Thanks. :)

Hi Brian
Speed - hard to criticise such a brilliant concept. Really chuckled at that .

Maybe #4 is a little too much oof but I like the way that the shots become more blurred as the car speeds up and it would be difficult to leave out #4 cos that is where you show that the 'driver' has lost control and comes to a dead stop in #5. :LOL:

I suppose that the limitation in the website makes it hard to get the layout of 5 shots right - if it was on the wall then straight in line would be best for me.

But a very hearty well done (y)(y)

Yeah, I feel a bit shafted by not being able to present the set the way I wanted to. The increased blur was difficult to achieve but helped by the changing car to camera angle. Thanks for your comments, much appreciated. :)

Hah - sorry Brian, I preferred the line of 5.

Much easier to follow the action if you will, and the sharpness of the wall in the 5th is a great end to the story. The sudden stop after the extreme speed!

And I have gone back up and read the other comments - but my above still stands. ;)

Thanks Graham. I prefered the line of 5 too :crying: - oh well! :LOL:

Hi Brian :wave: Well it appears to have been MONTHS since I was last here :bonk:

Best I try a catch up!

Rock, love the moon shot. I tried a few times to photograph the moon but found it difficult to get a clean shot without a surrounding haze! I think this is really good with superb detail.

Pair, not sure on the BG. I think the writing being blocked bothers me, either all or nothing for me. Hope you're enjoying your new toy?

Shape, love the snail shot. Great detail on it and the glass thingy it's on, contrasts nicely against the black BG!

Wow you went reshoot mad! As for gluttony I'm not sure he's looking at her chips! Love all the others but too many to comment on :bonk:

Plenty, I really like that. The blurred BG really makes the sunflower stand out and the rain droplets and splashes are a nice touch (did it really rain?)

Speed, doesn't work for me, sorry. The little car is too blurry, I think it needs to be in focus. I think the two top shots are the best of the set though and would rather see them on their own.

Thanks Marsha - welcome back :)

Hi Brian...apologies for the delay in popping in :crying:

Plenty....love it , really good lighting , fab detail in the droplets & the flower head & really good focus :clap:

Speed......yup , saw the 5 in a line when you posted it & much prefer that layout...but I do think the idea , motion blur in 3 & the dead stop of 5 work really well....& I bet it was fun to shoot (y)

Hi Brian...apologies for the delay in popping in :crying:

Plenty....love it , really good lighting , fab detail in the droplets & the flower head & really good focus :clap:

Speed......yup , saw the 5 in a line when you posted it & much prefer that layout...but I do think the idea , motion blur in 3 & the dead stop of 5 work really well....& I bet it was fun to shoot (y)

Aw thanks, you are nice to me :)

Hi Brian
Nice sharp pic with just enough movement in the leg, great exposure and colour :clap:
my only crit would be a bit more space around it to the right and the bottom if you see what i mean :thinking:

Beautifully sharp, lovely feather detail, focus on the eye, the blur of the leg as she steps out..... and I love the green surrounding it too. nice one Brian....

Well on target theme wise, very sharp shot too and the timing just right to get the motion on the foot - not sure why but it doesn't do it for me, I think I find the background too distracting.

Hi Brian,
Step, certainly on theme, I like the movement you've captured in the bird actually taking the step it shows it well.

I like the rich colours and level of detail in the scene, good work (y)

Thanks everyone, fwiw this wasn't my favourite from the set but it was the best "step" shot I got all week. I had 4 different shoots trying different ideas to get a shot that I liked, all my attempts looked rubbish... :(

So when I stumbled upon (pun intended) this little fluffy thing I knew I had to try and get a shot of it stepping... Thankfully it came out not too bad!

Oh, thats nice, a very strong image and well on theme :clap:

Now whatcha going to do for the rest of the week? Besides counting down the days till next Saturday? :LOL:

Do like this. Love the feel of it looking up into the light. Love the spotlight you've created around it contrasting beautifully with the black background.

Am wondering if I might prefer it without the shadow of the flower in the spotlight as I find this fights for attention with the flower itself. Obviously no way (easily) of achieving this in camera.... and it probably wouldn't work anyway. :shrug:

Now whatcha going to do for the rest of the week? Besides counting down the days till next Saturday? :LOL:

I'm gonna stalk you all! :naughty:

Actually I'm expecting a really busy week this week, I've just completed phase one of my return to "proper" training since my illness and so next week I start phase two and my training load will no doubt seem like hard work. I'm looking forward to dropping some weight and starting to move a bit quicker now though.

Photo wise I have some assignments from the book I am reading, nothing too serious, more observational stuff and thinking... I can do some of this while I'm running & cycling. ;)

What are you talking about no shadow :wacky:... I think I see what you mean but when I tried other set ups they didn't look as good with this style of processing (I shot tethered so had instant on screen). Although lighter and less shadow did look better in colour.

Hi Brian

Its a good conversion to B+W really nice tones in it but I do agree with Graham, there is something about the vase and the shadow which in some way distract from the flower which on its own would be a great subject.
Also the flower is facing left and needs to be on the right hand third or a different crop with a lot more space to the left IYSWIM:thinking:
After saying all that it is very striking

(y)

Hi Brian

Its a good conversion to B+W really nice tones in it but I do agree with Graham, there is something about the vase and the shadow which in some way distract from the flower which on its own would be a great subject.
Also the flower is facing left and needs to be on the right hand third or a different crop with a lot more space to the left IYSWIM:thinking:
After saying all that it is very striking

(y)

Thanks, Like Graham, you seem to have a very literal eye! If it were a study of a flower then I could see where you are coming from, agree with you even, but I as an abstract image the crop you speak of doesn't work for me at all... It's all subjective of course. :)

The weight of the two main compositional elements was a major factor in where I placed them in the frame. Try squinting at it and you will start to get an idea of where I'm coming from.

almost like a ballerina..

BULLS EYE. :clap: Thanks for that.

Last edited:
Mono, cracker. Good overall tones, no obvious lose of highlights. Good detail and the shadow on the surface works well. Crit, well not keen on the wooden surface, specifically the grain/knots, they distract from the overall minimal nature.

Good show :bonk:

Hi Brian,
Straight away I will say that what a great analogy Mark made in comparing it to a ballerina (y)

I think you have really nailed this Brian, the lighting has been handled particularly well with no loss of detail in the petals.

I too am not so sure about the wooden background, I feel a cleaner plain background would work. There is a light rectangle to the left of the base of the flower holder which draws my eye a little.

But as I said above, overall fantastic Brian, minor crit aside (y)

Hi Brian
Love the detail and the lighting but I too found the background a bit distracting...prefer the second version, fewer distractions

Hi Brian

Step - agree with all said - good sharp detail, lovely natural colours and excellent movement in the step. (y)

Mono - good lighting - not too bright and thus capturing the details of the shadows in the petals. The flower seems to be searching up to the light in search of something - fame perhaps? Reminded me a lot of this type of shot:

http://absenceofalternatives.com/wp...nnex-Dietrich-Marlene-Shanghai-Express_03.jpg

Hi Brian
Love the detail and the lighting but I too found the background a bit distracting...prefer the second version, fewer distractions

Thanks for commenting. :)

Hey Brian :)

Very nice mono shot indeed, I'm late to the crit party so all is covered, thought about not commenting but it's so nice I feel I must (y)

Thank you, very kind :)

Hi Brian

Step - agree with all said - good sharp detail, lovely natural colours and excellent movement in the step. (y)

Mono - good lighting - not too bright and thus capturing the details of the shadows in the petals. The flower seems to be searching up to the light in search of something - fame perhaps? Reminded me a lot of this type of shot:

http://absenceofalternatives.com/wp...nnex-Dietrich-Marlene-Shanghai-Express_03.jpg

Well, I am chuffed to bits, thank you :D

I like this one very much Brian, good tones, light & the shadow is good. A tiny nit pick would be the knots in the wood to the right are a little distracting, but not very in the overall scheme of things.

Thanks for commenting Sarah, very much appreciated :)

The Duckling shot is really nice, lovely detail, and the blur in the foot puts it bang on theme. The colours and falloff of focus really push the bird out too. The leaf that comes close to the beak bugs me a tiny bit... but I'm not sure why.:thinking:

Mono looks like a perfume ad shot to me, nice. Just had to Google 'Chiaroscuro', and I see what you're getting at. I really like the lighting and shadow, it makes the most of the B&W conversion.

Step(s) : Awwwwwwwww how cute! :D

Mono: Thats beautiful! Love the lighting. I dont find the background distracting, my eye is kept nicely on the flower.

Mono : Really like this. Makes a very interesting photo. Great lighting too.

Well done.

OOooooo......how cute is that little duckling.....perfectly captured movement in the step , perfectly sharp with fab detail........ohh yes siree...i'm liking that a lot :clap:

Mono.......great idea , well executed & lit...can't crit on any of that , plenty of detail in the petals & the shadow does have a resemblance of a ballerina :clap:

The only niggle I have is the crop.....fractionally to close to centre for me...wondering if portrait with a slice off the rhs & more space to the top might work :thinking:

Apologies if this has been mentioned in previous comments from others but I try to give crit without reading what others thing on this one

Thank you Nick, Lisa, Mark & Lynne you are all, very kind :)

Anyway that was last week...

Here we go! :naughty:

Last edited:
Back