A late night M6 Motorway

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

New to all this photography stuff as I said in my 'Evo' thread in the Transport section so comments and advice are more than welcome!

This is a shot I took of the M6 near Carlisle, Cumbria one night.

Taken with my trusty old D40X.

Absolutely love shooting at night with good splattering of man made lighting from cars and buildings etc :)

M6.jpg

Looks good, the only thing i would do is remove the blue sign.

Like that a lot.

Leave the sign though as it gives it a sense of place, which I assume is taken from the bridge on the Linstock/Rickerby road?

Thanks all,

I quite like the sign as it gives it a 'location'.

Like that a lot.

Leave the sign though as it gives it a sense of place, which I assume is taken from the bridge on the Linstock/Rickerby road?

You assume correct :)
Much quieter shooting from there than the bridge on Brampton road!

Hi, I think that you've done a good job with this, I take it that since you've said your new to photography that this is your first effort at light trails? If this is the case you've done really well, looking at your settings:

Aperture: f/4
ISO: 160
Exposure: 30 Second

I would recommend shooting with a smaller aperture than f/4 the minimum I would suggest is f/8 but would normally suggest going even smaller, my most used aperture for light trails is f/22 there are a couple of reasons for this, firstly shooting wide open like you have will cause you to have a shorter exposure, when I like to get a minimum of 60 seconds and optimally 90 second exposure with this style of image (y) secondly you are letting a lot of light in as headlights are very bright, this will cause a lot of blow out and loss of definition in the actual trails, also finally wide open will cause a shorter DoF thus meaning as well as blow out your trails will slowly be going OOF (Out of Focus) which is not good...

I think that this needs a little but of CCW rotation as looking at the road sign it looks to be leaning a little :shrug:

Finally I personally would clone out the lens flare in the sky as I find it a little distracting ;)

Dave will like this next bit :naughty: you may like to check out my guide to light trails (y) there is a link to it in my signature (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

I take it that since you've said your new to photography that this is your first effort at light trails? If this is the case you've done really well, looking at your settings:

Its probably my 3rd attempt, the first couple of attempts were absolutely terrible, wrong colour due to no idea about white balance and really bad grainy noise as I didn't understand ISO settings! Much happier with this effort.

Thanks for the advice, I will try your suggestions next time and have a look a the guide :)

Motorway maintenance we put all the cones out and do all the gritting/snowploughing :)

Ah right. Almost neighbours then. I work out of Skirsgill depot up at J40 :)

It's the best light trail scene i've seen for a long while, well balanced red & white and nice contrasting colours overall, definately leave the sign in, it adds a good interest because without it the scene would have less flavour !

It's the best light trail scene i've seen for a long while, well balanced red & white and nice contrasting colours overall, definately leave the sign in, it adds a good interest because without it the scene would have less flavour !

Thank you

Really appreciate the comments, especially since I only started out recently.

My first couple of light trail efforts were awful. Ended up with dreadful grainy photos that were completely the wrong colour! It taught me to soon learn about White balance, ISO and shooting in manual!

Leave the sign in IMO but take out the top left flare, I like it.

Hi Tim

Great shot, I'd definately leave the sign in, adds another dimension to the photo.

I was out with my daughter friday night doing some light trails and had a great time

Cracking shot, leave the sign... adds a little detail. I said it to Andy about his daughter;s image, so I'll have to say it here... it's a shame there's nothing in lane three heading away from the camera.

So, with two MAC agents on here, I suppose I'll have to own up to having some interest in that road too ;)

D_Ninety said:
Cracking shot, leave the sign... adds a little detail. I said it to Andy about his daughter;s image, so I'll have to say it here... it's a shame there's nothing in lane three heading away from the camera.

So, with two MAC agents on here, I suppose I'll have to own up to having some interest in that road too ;)

Oh do tell! :)

Back