weekly alsjazzera TP52 2014 WEEK 52 SUPPORT added

Yum ... (y) what I would have done .... got to think of something else now.

Allan - bit of a catch up from me

Dreamy having read through the process I think its a fantastic image great work well done

Vertical - tough theme I think but you have done well nice detail in the main subject but the trees I find a tad distracting

Yum - great lighting and detail even down to the little scrapes on the fork

Great idea Allan and very well done (y)...............it certainly looks like it was yum :D

Hi Allan

apologies for the lateness of my visit :(

Vertical.......wouldn't have guessed it was IR ..well shot & processed , pops out of the bg ,good detail on the sculpture (y) I do find the tree's on the lhs a touch distracting as they seem to be suffering from motion blur / distortion ?

Yum...perfect idea & really well shot....great work with the lighting....now what was on the plate & did you enjoy it & more importantly.....are there any left :D

Vertical - I wondered what and where so thanks for that :)

Simple and effective with nice processing.

Yum - I agree with Andy here.
Yum, On theme and nice detail. Good overall lighting. I would like the square crop and I feel it would contrast wit the plate.

Cheers.

Dream ... I don't know what to say (that hasn't been said already). I keep coming back to look at this image, thinking this is the kind of artwork I want to do!

** ... getting the shadow was the biggest problem tried to work out drop shadows in elements but it wasn't happening so used the original pic of Jane again and turned it upside down and back to front, softened it and put it into place. **

thanks (y)

Last edited:
WEEK 27 LOUD
Sorry very late this week, for me anyway, will get round to commenting soon :)

Loud by allanhowe, on Flickr

I hate selective colour, but thought I would have a go anyway o_O :exit:

Last edited:
How can you hate selective colour?? I like it, :D

Good use of it here, really making the BANG jump out at you, like teh stairs in the BG too, they add a little bit of intrigue to the shot.

Nice and clean round the red flag part too, did you reduce it all to B&W and then paint back the red through a mask, or drop all the colours apart from the red and then tidy up the skin areas?

Like this a lot. Really made me smile. The SC works really well.

The composition works well but I feel a more dramatic pose by your wife (?) would take it up a level. Not sure if how she feels about her face being shown, but something like she is surrendering would be greaterer :)

Cheers.

Good use of it here, really making the BANG jump out at you, like teh stairs in the BG too, they add a little bit of intrigue to the shot.

:agree:

Nice and clean round the red flag part too, did you reduce it all to B&W and then paint back the red through a mask, or drop all the colours apart from the red and then tidy up the skin areas?

Reduced to B+W and painted back the red through a mask, it was the first option I came across on you tube

Great creative shot and I am a fan of selective colour for things like this. Not always mind, but I think it has a purpose here.

Thanks i do feel it fits this image

Like this a lot. Really made me smile. The SC works really well.

The composition works well but I feel a more dramatic pose by your wife (?) would take it up a level. Not sure if how she feels about her face being shown, but something like she is surrendering would be greaterer :)

Cheers.

I know what you mean, will pursued her next time maybe, she was already looking at me funny when I suggested this :wideyed:

Super! Great idea nicely presented.

thanks Brian you joining back in to this years 52 saw something the other day suggesting you might

Thanks

WEEK 28 RICH

Grave by allanhowe, on Flickr

No man is rich enough to buy back his past.
Oscar Wilde

This is going to need an explanation I feel, my thinking was how do people show their wealth, big house, fancy car, jewellery etc.
We all end up the same, but even in death people with money which undoubtably at the time this memorial was put up would have meant you having a certain amount of wealth.

Inspired thinking, quote ties it to the theme perfectly. Shot is well taken too, managed to get it to pop out from the dark Bg nicely.

Hey Allan :)

Loud - What a great idea, selective colour not a fan generally, but works well with this one, nicely set up, effective composition and nice pp work... made me chuckle too :D

Rich - Again I like your thinking, very thought provokin too, you sure cant take it with you so spend it on photography kit :)

A nicely lit monument, i'm liking the crop and the inclusion of the lower cross :)

Loud: A brilliant take on this weeks theme.....really like the quirkyness of this and the selective color works well.

Rich: A majestic monument for sure.....Kind of dark overall but this adds to the deep and dark nature of this weeks theme / message. I really like your thought process behind this.

Allan - thought I had replied already! I really like loud. Very funny and SC works a treat. Great technically executed shot and, best of all, super composition and well thought out. Bravo!

Rich - an interesting and different take on the theme. Well done, as I do like outside the box stuff. Like Dean, I like the photo - it's sombre so needs to lack punch but conveys the message effectively. A touch more shadow detail might help, but not too much otherwise the scene will be too light for the context.

Two great shots!

Rich, cracking sentiments and I totally agree with them. The cross in the BG would usually clutter the photograph but on this occasion I think it complements the main subject.

Cheers.

Hi Allan, I love the thinking on this one, I took loads of gravestones yesterday mulling over a similar idea, but the addition of the Oscar Wilde quote really makes it work....your choice of the angel suits it perfectly, very well put together.

Thanks Susie

Inspired thinking, quote ties it to the theme perfectly. Shot is well taken too, managed to get it to pop out from the dark Bg nicely.

Thanks

Hi Alan,

Loud - great use of selective colouring there, the LH pull string grabs my attention for some reason

Rich - a interesting take on the theme with your explanation it works

never noticed the pull string till you mentioned it :facepalm:

Loud - What a great idea, selective colour not a fan generally, but works well with this one, nicely set up, effective composition and nice pp work... made me chuckle too :D

Rich - Again I like your thinking, very thought provokin too, you sure cant take it with you so spend it on photography kit :)

A nicely lit monument, i'm liking the crop and the inclusion of the lower cross :)

Thanks DK

Loud: A brilliant take on this weeks theme.....really like the quirkyness of this and the selective color works well.

Rich: A majestic monument for sure.....Kind of dark overall but this adds to the deep and dark nature of this weeks theme / message. I really like your thought process behind this.

Thanks I kept it deliberately dark because of the subject matter

Allan - thought I had replied already! I really like loud. Very funny and SC works a treat. Great technically executed shot and, best of all, super composition and well thought out. Bravo!

Rich - an interesting and different take on the theme. Well done, as I do like outside the box stuff. Like Dean, I like the photo - it's sombre so needs to lack punch but conveys the message effectively. A touch more shadow detail might help, but not too much otherwise the scene will be too light for the context.

Two great shots!

I did lift the shadows but the BG became too overpowering so settled on this

Rich, cracking sentiments and I totally agree with them. The cross in the BG would usually clutter the photograph but on this occasion I think it complements the main subject.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy

Hi Allan
Loud- on theme, colour works. Not sure about the steps tho
Rich - works well with the text - not sure that it would have been that obvious to me without it.. Good comp and like the muted grey tones and the small patches of green and yellow. Agree with Andy that the cross at the back does add to the comp. altogether a super shot.(y)

Vertical - Nice conversion. You've really made the statue pop even feels a little 3D. I would also recommend the YSP - great venue

Yum - Looks like you had a great time setting this shot up LOL. Lovely and simple idea and I feel it works well

Loud - As I've said the forum quite a few times I'm not a fan of selective colour. This is one of those exceptions. A nice fun image and take on the theme.

Rich - Great link with the quote. I wondered whether this should be a B&W but I think it stands on it's merits as the colour version

Rich ... good interpretation, beautiful image, nicely lit.

HI Allan

Loud...quite partial to SC & it work's really well here , good use of DOF as well (y) The pull string bugs me as well......

Rich...must admit I looked at this several times & :thinking: before I read the quote then it all fell into place :rolleyes: Well exposed , some good detail in the the textures on the statue & I also like the fallen cross in the bg (y)

WEEK 29 SKILL

Carving by allanhowe, on Flickr

These small carvings are all over the outside of the Cathedral, they are fascinating and must have taken some skill and imagination.

Skill - Is that a big crop or low light mate as there looks like a lot of noise?? Must agree the craftsmanship in old churches is fantastic, and that is a great example, some wonderful colours going on there, almost luminous. The subject is tightly framed and it works well :)

Half - Boy you have been busy... Some cracking images there, of the three I love the second shot, the subject is fun and well focused, and the lights/bokeh background compliments it beautifully :clap:

The detail in the first is great and very well lit, the flower shot is a gain nicely lit, pleasing DoF/bokeh again, and the only thing stopping it being my fav, is the minimal focus area, a cracking sey !!

Hi Allan
Loud... not keen on the selective colouring but great idea(y)
Rich... good idea its well lit, too i like the quote with it, it makes it (y)
Skill...nice idea they certainly had great skills in those days and used them nicely shot :)
half...the poppy seed head gets my vote, a, i have never seen one cut in half like that and b, what skill managing to cut it in half, I like the dark bg too well done:)

Hi Allan

Skill - nice take and definitely on theme for me, but not as compelling a shot as others you've taken. Would a really shallow DOF have helped?
Half - love the poppy head and great black background. Really nice shot... super. The other halves are good, but that's the pick for me.

Detail in the poppy head is superb, and the black Bg does amplify this,

but I really prefer the other two, maybe simply in appreciation of the effort that has gone into not only finding a suitable background, but making the extra interest work with the subject in both cases. Having the subject half included, and right up agaisnt the edge leaves space really well filled by the coloured bokeh. Touch of CA (mostly on the 4th petal going clockwise), is there a slider in LR that would get rid of this?

Back