weekly alsjazzera TP52 2014 WEEK 52 SUPPORT added

Hi Allan ....plenty of cutting action there ... I really like it ...perfect for the theme ... I like the blurred slicing hand and super red chilli against the white background.

Thanks Susie

Hiya Allan,

Great detail and colours in the feather ( I had to Google iridescence :confused:) good separation from the black bg (y)

Big works really well for me, perfect dof and again good detail in the flower (y)

Excellent idea for cut (y) is that motion blur or added in PP? I've looked at the exif and expected to see a slower shutter speed :thinking:. Very nice white bg really makes the red chilli pop(y)

Big - I like the in your face approach with this. The inclusion of the stalk and milk bottle style vase helps ground the flower head. I like it

Cut - Another one to like. The chilli is superbly sharp and the reflected light adds a bit of realism. I like the addition of the moving hand and knife - a nice touch. A very clean background is also a bonus. Well done.

The colours of the pepper really pop out against the white background and I love the blurring of the hand and knife to give the idea of the cutting motion.

super shot, bright red, bright white, frozen in mid air chill and movement in the hand and knife.

Pretty certain it was PP'd motion, but it looks realistic, and very effective.

Hi DK, you are getting big and we shall speak no more about it :D
Ha Haaaaa... okay BIG it is :LOL:

Cut - WELL CAUGHT that man, super idea mate, if that really is in mid air I am amazed, that works really well, love the motion and the bright crisp Chilli (now THAT is BIG ;)) No crit from me at all :clap:

Hi Allan

Super shot for CUT....both i idea & execution.Lovely stark white sets of the red of the chilli, well lit & great motion blur...no crit at all just a :clap::clap:

Hi Allan,

Communicate: Great picture. Like the sharp and crisp texture in the fur and whiskers. Also like the muted colours, not sure if this is intentional or not?

Dark: A Classy effort here with the restrained lighting reinforcing the feel of darkness. The glint of iridescence and your ability to capture this is a masterstroke (y)

Big: Well you've definitely achieved your goal with this one. Daisy looks big for sure and I'm thinking the shallow DOF must be helping to emphasize this. I dont mind the imperfections in the petals....its by no means a perfect world that we live in....so I dont expect to see it in a picture.

Cut: As other have said, perfect execution which cant be faulted, and your lighting as always is exemplary. I like the motion in the hand though cant help feel there'd be some motion in the chillie too if it were being cut in mid air as the white background suggests.

Hi, Cut, well done with this one. Nice movement in the hand/blade and nice rich reds, nice clean white BG as well.

Minor crit from me, I'd just like a little more light on the RH side of the pepper.

Cheers.

Hi Allan

Communicate - on theme , good pov and like the movement in the paw and the tag on the collar. Sky has not helped you.

Dark - a lovely shot - agree with others that the light towards bottom right is not perfect but made up by the lovely blacks, blues and silver(y)

Big - you have achieved your goal stated below the shot. I too think a tad more light but that would be subject to seeing whether it reduced the 'bigness' as you say, and i would take your judgement on that.

Cut - immediate impact both in colour and slashing movement of hand and knife. good b/g , well lit and a pleasure to look at.(y)

Hiya Allan,

Great detail and colours in the feather ( I had to Google iridescence :confused:) good separation from the black bg (y)

Big works really well for me, perfect dof and again good detail in the flower (y)

Excellent idea for cut (y) is that motion blur or added in PP? I've looked at the exif and expected to see a slower shutter speed :thinking:. Very nice white bg really makes the red chilli pop(y)

Motion blur added in PP

Big - I like the in your face approach with this. The inclusion of the stalk and milk bottle style vase helps ground the flower head. I like it

Cut - Another one to like. The chilli is superbly sharp and the reflected light adds a bit of realism. I like the addition of the moving hand and knife - a nice touch. A very clean background is also a bonus. Well done.

Thanks

Cut - excellent take on the theme well done.

Thanks

The colours of the pepper really pop out against the white background and I love the blurring of the hand and knife to give the idea of the cutting motion.

Thanks

super shot, bright red, bright white, frozen in mid air chill and movement in the hand and knife.

Pretty certain it was PP'd motion, but it looks realistic, and very effective.

You are right added in PP

Ha Haaaaa... okay BIG it is :LOL:

Cut - WELL CAUGHT that man, super idea mate, if that really is in mid air I am amazed, that works really well, love the motion and the bright crisp Chilli (now THAT is BIG ;)) No crit from me at all :clap:

Thanks

Hi Allan

Super shot for CUT....both i idea & execution.Lovely stark white sets of the red of the chilli, well lit & great motion blur...no crit at all just a :clap::clap:

Thank you

Hi Allan,

Communicate: Great picture. Like the sharp and crisp texture in the fur and whiskers. Also like the muted colours, not sure if this is intentional or not?

Dark: A Classy effort here with the restrained lighting reinforcing the feel of darkness. The glint of iridescence and your ability to capture this is a masterstroke (y)

Big: Well you've definitely achieved your goal with this one. Daisy looks big for sure and I'm thinking the shallow DOF must be helping to emphasize this. I dont mind the imperfections in the petals....its by no means a perfect world that we live in....so I dont expect to see it in a picture.

Cut: As other have said, perfect execution which cant be faulted, and your lighting as always is exemplary. I like the motion in the hand though cant help feel there'd be some motion in the chillie too if it were being cut in mid air as the white background suggests.

Muted colours intentional, too much green for my liking, thanks for the nice comments

Hi, Cut, well done with this one. Nice movement in the hand/blade and nice rich reds, nice clean white BG as well.

Minor crit from me, I'd just like a little more light on the RH side of the pepper.

Cheers.

Thanks for looking

Hi Allan

Communicate - on theme , good pov and like the movement in the paw and the tag on the collar. Sky has not helped you.

Dark - a lovely shot - agree with others that the light towards bottom right is not perfect but made up by the lovely blacks, blues and silver(y)

Big - you have achieved your goal stated below the shot. I too think a tad more light but that would be subject to seeing whether it reduced the 'bigness' as you say, and i would take your judgement on that.

Cut - immediate impact both in colour and slashing movement of hand and knife. good b/g , well lit and a pleasure to look at.(y)

BG in communicate not what I was after but needs must, glad you liked the rest

Cut ... I agree with all the above appraisals (y)

Ta

Hi Allan - some super shots as usual... it's always a pleasure looking through your thread.

Dark - not my favourite one of yours, but a technically good shot and very black background. Some lovely colours in the feather. I feel it could use a tiny bit more light towards the bottom 1/3?

Big - really nicely done. Super use of wide angle perspective and DOF... just enough definition to make out the "vase" and framing excellent. Really good shot :clap:

Cut - wow! Awesome composite... technically accomplished and fun to boot. Some very harsh lighting from the side on the chilli which works - it would have been easier/safer to diffuse it far more which wouldn't have given the level of drama your shot has. Brilliant! :clap::clap:

Balance - nicely taken shot, good framing, well chosen DOF... no negatives on that at all. It doesn't grab like some of your other shots, but not all of them can. Good solid photo. (y)

Hi Allan

Balance - like the idea for the theme. Given the nature of the materials in the shot, the mono approach prob works well. Maybe taken a bit more from the RHS to get the log slightlydiagonal and perhaps a slightly higher crop if the hands and arms were slightly spread to emphasise the balance. :thinking:
Good to see that she did not need a safety net.:)

Hi Allan - some super shots as usual... it's always a pleasure looking through your thread.

Dark - not my favourite one of yours, but a technically good shot and very black background. Some lovely colours in the feather. I feel it could use a tiny bit more light towards the bottom 1/3?

Big - really nicely done. Super use of wide angle perspective and DOF... just enough definition to make out the "vase" and framing excellent. Really good shot :clap:

Cut - wow! Awesome composite... technically accomplished and fun to boot. Some very harsh lighting from the side on the chilli which works - it would have been easier/safer to diffuse it far more which wouldn't have given the level of drama your shot has. Brilliant! :clap::clap:

Balance - nicely taken shot, good framing, well chosen DOF... no negatives on that at all. It doesn't grab like some of your other shots, but not all of them can. Good solid photo. (y)

Thank you, feather was terrible to get the light I wanted (to show the colours) took a good few had to settle on that one
I agree with what you say about balance as a subject it wasn't really grabbing me so more of a quick grab and move on, I did have another idea more of an impossible balance thing but couldn't get it right so jibbed it :LOL:

Hi Allan

Balance - like the idea for the theme. Given the nature of the materials in the shot, the mono approach prob works well. Maybe taken a bit more from the RHS to get the log slightlydiagonal and perhaps a slightly higher crop if the hands and arms were slightly spread to emphasise the balance. :thinking:
Good to see that she did not need a safety net.:)

I do have a couple of full length shots, I have no idea why but I preferred this one, I did find a higher log for her to balance on but as she had already fallen over that day I didn't think it was wise to push it.

works well enough, hope she was rewareded with a cup of tea when you got home for sterling work here. :)

liking the rim lighting round the legs from the back (front) lighting, really seperates her from the BG, which being all B&W would have been easy to loose without this.

Hi, time is short, I'm afraid...:(, on theme and nice detail, but the branch is a little low so lacks some impact...get her up in the tree :)

Cheers.

Balance .... you've captured something good there Allan ... good clean innocent fun ... nicely framed and focused.

That's the meaning I took, so that's good! I think you have brought the texture of the leaf out really well and I like the colour too. Nice black bg too.

Superb find and faultless wrt the technicalities of the photographing. :clap:

Black BG really was the only way to go with this as it allows the incredible detail to really stand out.

There's almost a chaos / fractal effect when you zoom in., in that it seems that more and more detail reveals itself.

Like that fact that there is still a tiny amount of leaf skin left in the corner and it's not a complete skeleton.

I love this one Allan, definitely right up my street.

Full screen on Flickr your lighting really shows off the fragile beauty of the leaf ... it glows :) Perfect choice in the simple black background ....absolutely top marks from me .... I could hang that on my wall :clap:

Last edited:
Allan... that's beautiful. Looks like filigree / sculpted. An absolutely amazing find and very well photographed - very much "in your style" which is a compliment!

The only other take on this which would have been a very different photo would have been to lay it nearly flat at an angle (i.e. very shallow POV) and use quite harsh side lighting to bring out all the detail... more of a close-up type shot. Completely different and definitely not better.

I like yours!

Very nice Allan, well lit, great detail against the black bg (y).......flickr's down so can't view it large :banghead: .........:thinking: It looks very delicate but I did wonder too if a slightly different angle/pov might have given it a little depth :) ....I know.......easy to say :D

Hi Allan

Balance.....like it , simple idea well executed & works well in mono (y) The only thing I wonder is whether a slightly more side on angle might show how far off the ground the branch is....looking from this angle I can't decide if it's really on the floor:thinking:

Change.....beautiful shot, the black bg is perfect & shows off the delicate nature of the leaf perfectly ....:clap:

Balance - a great shot. My admiration goes out both to the photographer and the model, as I have absolutely no sense of balance whatsoever and couldn't have managed to do that to save my life o_O

Change - just perfick :)

Change is a cracker. The detail in the skeleton of the leaf is wonderful.

Pity you couldn't remove the remnants of the leaf, as I think it would look a bit better.

Good show.

Cheers.

Hi Allan :)

Balance - A good portrayal for the theme, nice and sharp on the majority of the areas, and a nice bit of movement on the foot that adds to the feel of balance nicely for me :)

Change - Now I LOVE the colour of this, super detail, liking the brown background rather than black, works great for me, no crit !!! (y)

That's the meaning I took, so that's good! I think you have brought the texture of the leaf out really well and I like the colour too. Nice black bg too.

Thanks glad it wasn't just me who got the meaning

Superb find and faultless wrt the technicalities of the photographing. :clap:

Black BG really was the only way to go with this as it allows the incredible detail to really stand out.

There's almost a chaos / fractal effect when you zoom in., in that it seems that more and more detail reveals itself.

Like that fact that there is still a tiny amount of leaf skin left in the corner and it's not a complete skeleton.

Thanks

I love this one Allan, definitely right up my street.

Full screen on Flickr your lighting really shows off the fragile beauty of the leaf ... it glows :) Perfect choice in the simple black background ....absolutely top marks from me .... I could hang that on my wall :clap:

Very kind of you to say

Allan... that's beautiful. Looks like filigree / sculpted. An absolutely amazing find and very well photographed - very much "in your style" which is a compliment!

The only other take on this which would have been a very different photo would have been to lay it nearly flat at an angle (i.e. very shallow POV) and use quite harsh side lighting to bring out all the detail... more of a close-up type shot. Completely different and definitely not better.

I like yours!

Thanks did think about different angles but DoF becomes a pain and I wanted the detail

Very nice Allan, well lit, great detail against the black bg (y).......flickr's down so can't view it large :banghead: .........:thinking: It looks very delicate but I did wonder too if a slightly different angle/pov might have given it a little depth :) ....I know.......easy to say :D

Thanks

Hi Allan

Balance.....like it , simple idea well executed & works well in mono (y) The only thing I wonder is whether a slightly more side on angle might show how far off the ground the branch is....looking from this angle I can't decide if it's really on the floor:thinking:

Change.....beautiful shot, the black bg is perfect & shows off the delicate nature of the leaf perfectly ....:clap:

To be honest Lynne the branch was on the floor I did try to tempt her up higher she wasn't having it

Balance - a great shot. My admiration goes out both to the photographer and the model, as I have absolutely no sense of balance whatsoever and couldn't have managed to do that to save my life o_O

Change - just perfick :)

Thanks

Change is a cracker. The detail in the skeleton of the leaf is wonderful.

Pity you couldn't remove the remnants of the leaf, as I think it would look a bit better.

Good show.

Cheers.

Did try to remove remnants but wasn't happening

Hi Allan :)

Balance - A good portrayal for the theme, nice and sharp on the majority of the areas, and a nice bit of movement on the foot that adds to the feel of balance nicely for me :)

Change - Now I LOVE the colour of this, super detail, liking the brown background rather than black, works great for me, no crit !!! (y)

You must have the brightest monitor in the uk, its not quite black as can be, but brown:thinking: :p

Hi Allan

Change - really good subject - I like that fact that there are bits of the non-skeleton left, adds to the theme for me. beautiful lighting which brings out the detail and redolent of gold filigree work. Faultless.(y)

Grow - spot on, humorous and well conceived. Thankfully that last one is just getting his head up to satisfy the 'odd numbers' police.:)

I continue to admire the speed with which you can think of top quality subjects and execute them.:clap:

Hahaaaa that's excellent mate... perfect for the time of the year too :LOL: :clap:

Thanks DK never really thought about the time of year its more of a film reference

Hi Allan

Change - really good subject - I like that fact that there are bits of the non-skeleton left, adds to the theme for me. beautiful lighting which brings out the detail and redolent of gold filigree work. Faultless.(y)

Grow - spot on, humorous and well conceived. Thankfully that last one is just getting his head up to satisfy the 'odd numbers' police.:)

I continue to admire the speed with which you can think of top quality subjects and execute them.:clap:

Thanks for the nice words, I tend to go with the first thing that comes into my head, well actually this was the second one as the first idea just wasn't happening, come to think of it "change" was a second idea too
so what I meant to say was I tend to go with the second idea o_O

Back