weekly alsjazzera TP52 2014 WEEK 52 SUPPORT added

Hi Ya

Have no idea what your shot is about but like it :D

WEEK 44 LIVE

Frankenjane by allanhowe, on Flickr

This is the way we make Jane live

ok not the best bit of photoshop but as this 52 thing seems to be dying :tumbleweed: who cares

Last edited:
Hi Allan :)

Good interpretation, I really like how you have done the stitches, very effective, not so sure on the angle of the bolt, but as a whole, with the DoF and positioning of the model - Super Shot (y)

Allan of Alsjazzera said:
ok not the best bit of photoshop but as this 52 thing seems to be dying :tumbleweed: who cares
Oh dear :thinking:

Hi Allan... I'm back from the dead now :)

Grow is excellent - really funny take on the theme and I love your lighting of both the earth and the skellies, but especially the earth... not a thing I'd touch with that photo because it's absolutely nailed.

Speaking of nails (well, bolts), I like Live as well... I think you've done well with the PS as it looks pretty subtle, especially the stitching. Really well done and although it could be tweaked I think it's great as it. (y) Nice DOF and composition as well - almost makes the Frankenstein bit seem an afterthought (in a good way... for me it works far better than a black/white background, say...)

Grow.... hmmmm. not sure what to say. :) I'm not really getting the film reference so it;s probably me. The random arrangement works well, they do appear to be growing up out of the soil, and it's a tick in the box.

I did see Franken-Jane on my phone and was impressed with the PS'ing. Didn;t look close enough to comment on it further, but I applaud you for getting more into this.

Last edited:

Good interpretation, I really like how you have done the stitches, very effective, not so sure on the angle of the bolt, but as a whole, with the DoF and positioning of the model - Super Shot (y)

Oh dear :thinking:

Thanks DK I have said enough about the 52 in another thread

Hi Allan... I'm back from the dead now :)

Grow is excellent - really funny take on the theme and I love your lighting of both the earth and the skellies, but especially the earth... not a thing I'd touch with that photo because it's absolutely nailed.

Speaking of nails (well, bolts), I like Live as well... I think you've done well with the PS as it looks pretty subtle, especially the stitching. Really well done and although it could be tweaked I think it's great as it. (y) Nice DOF and composition as well - almost makes the Frankenstein bit seem an afterthought (in a good way... for me it works far better than a black/white background, say...)

Thanks Paul both of the images are a bit throw away really I don't feel I have tried to hard recently

Grow.... hmmmm. not sure what to say. :) I'm not really getting the film reference so it;s probably me. The random arrangement works well, they do appear to be growing up out of the soil, and it's a tick in the box.

I did see Franken-Jane on my phone and was impressed with the PS'ing. Didn;t look close enough to comment on it further, but I applaud you for getting more into this.

The film ref is Jason and the Argonaughts I am surprised anyone got it to be honest

Your image has disappeared Allan :(

Hope the 52' isn't dying ...I'm loving it !

Sorry Susie no idea what has happened to it will put it back up later, I hope the 52 doesn't die either its a good project but only if people put a little effort into it

Hi Allan

That's a great idea for the theme of Live...different but effective.The stitches are fab (would love to know the "how" for this ,the touch of blood where the bolt is going in to the skin is a nice touch ,fab use of DOF as well :clap: The only slight crit ( which is rich coming from me when I wouldn't know how to do it ) is the bolt.....maybe needs to be a bit more "this way" if that makes sense , seems a little to far round the front of the neck ?

Hi Allan ...I can see it now after it's spooky disappearance :)...that's a great choice for the week considering it was Halloween ...you've done a wonderful job on those stitches/staples in PP .... my son had a Halloween party on Saturday and there were some very gory sights indeed !

Yes I hope the 52's continue too ...your comment is very true ... you do get out of life what you put into it.

Hi Allan

That's a great idea for the theme of Live...different but effective.The stitches are fab (would love to know the "how" for this ,the touch of blood where the bolt is going in to the skin is a nice touch ,fab use of DOF as well :clap: The only slight crit ( which is rich coming from me when I wouldn't know how to do it ) is the bolt.....maybe needs to be a bit more "this way" if that makes sense , seems a little to far round the front of the neck ?

Thanks Lynne, the stitches are a brush which I downloaded can't remember where it was from though, must pay more attention, as for the bolt its an image from the internet I did want to take the pic myself but I had no bolts in the shed, so settled on it,
it annoys me too the angle of it, I should have waited till I went to work plenty of bolts there.

Hi Allan ...I can see it now after it's spooky disappearance :)...that's a great choice for the week considering it was Halloween ...you've done a wonderful job on those stitches/staples in PP .... my son had a Halloween party on Saturday and there were some very gory sights indeed !

Yes I hope the 52's continue too ...your comment is very true ... you do get out of life what you put into it.

Thanks Susie, no idea what was happening there, as i said above can't really take the glory for the stitches it was a photoshop brush.
I am sure the 52 will continue, I have really enjoyed the last few years of it, you never know the urge/habit to do it I might well continue next year, not written it off yet :)

Morning Allan,

Live - A great idea, certainly different, love the shallow dof (y)........I did wonder why only half of her head and neck :confused:

And not the best bit of photoshop you say!......for those of us without such skills it looks excellent :)

Like you idea for re-shoot, ending. I'm guessing that its photoshopped on to the bg :thinking: it stands out against it nicely but I did think it needed to be a bit more of a lighter blue to replicate the sky more. As for the flower, great detail (y) .....:thinking:......why such a long exposure?.......:thinking: unless of coarse its not PS and you used an ND filter :D

That Reshoot/ending is most effective. (y) ... very sharp and colourful and erm ending.

And the stitches in LIVE are very well done.

Morning Allan,

Live - A great idea, certainly different, love the shallow dof (y)........I did wonder why only half of her head and neck :confused:

And not the best bit of photoshop you say!......for those of us without such skills it looks excellent :)

Like you idea for re-shoot, ending. I'm guessing that its photoshopped on to the bg :thinking: it stands out against it nicely but I did think it needed to be a bit more of a lighter blue to replicate the sky more. As for the flower, great detail (y) .....:thinking:......why such a long exposure?.......:thinking: unless of coarse its not PS and you used an ND filter :D

You really dont want to see the other half o_O The flower was shot indoors natural light no photoshop, no ND filter just light from the window a reflector and a blue card wasn't really going for the sky look just clashing colours

That Reshoot/ending is most effective. (y) ... very sharp and colourful and erm ending.

And the stitches in LIVE are very well done.

Thanks

Last edited:
Both good images Alan, but the first is certainly my choice, excellent pov, good composition and the conversion really suite the image (y)

Your link didn't work from the pictures thread a second ago......unless of course you've fixed it since ;)

Both good images Alan, but the first is certainly my choice, excellent pov, good composition and the conversion really suite the image (y)

Your link didn't work from the pictures thread a second ago......unless of course you've fixed it since ;)

Thanks for looking in, it should work now you must have been trying as I was setting it up :)

Hi, Allan, Live, cracker, PS is a belting aid isn't it. I like the close composition but had a crop and got even closer to remove some of the RHS.

Ending, nice contracting colours, with good detail. Looks a tad underexposed on my iPad, though :thinking:

First, two very poignant and timely submissions that work really well. No crit from me but the moody sky works really well.

Cheers.

Balance - Fits the theme and the B&W approach suits the image

Change - This is really nicely lit - Almost gold looking. The focus appears spot on as well. Good one Allan.

Grow - Very amusing for the theme especially for Halloween night. I like how you've put these at different heights coming out of the soil

Live - You've been negative about the PP but I feel you've done a really good job especially with the stitches on the back of the neck

Reshoot - Really vivid colours on this one. I can't decide whether the blue is a bit too deep to I still like it as it is

First - Absolutely super mono conversion on these one. I do prefer #1 as the detail in the soldiers is superb. Another one fitting for the week of the theme

I'd never heard of the film, so the title was lost on me, but the concept was obvious without the film reference, so you're right about no explanation being necessary. It actually reminded me of this week's Dr Who episode with the cybermen coming out of the graves :clap:

Liking them both, and perfect for the theme.

Like the detail in the soldiers on the first, and the greater amount of cloud but not the central ness of the monument and the crop. Imagine there was something to the right then just lovely sky and a nice tree line.

Prefer the position of the monument in the second, the the gaze of the children.

Cracking processing in then both though.

Hi Allan

Reshoot/ending is a cracker - I love that blue background and it's totally saturated all round (in a good way)... the only tiny negative is that the blue is sort of close to a deep sky blue which makes it look slightly fake - either a different colour background or maybe just rein back the blue saturation a touch?

First shots are great - really like the low POV, perspective on the monuments and as others have said, the conversion is well-handled. Don't always have to go "max contrast" and the darker grey works well. Nice sky treatment too... Great pair of shots!

Hi Allan super bright colours in your re-shoot, spot on focus on the flower.

I like both your First shots but I think the first one is stunning....the sky, the angle, the choice of the subtle b&w, it all works together to make that wonderful monument come alive ...really well done.

Hi Alan, I like your First images very much. Very Apt for the time of year but must say I prefer the first. I like the processing too. B&W Suits it and the over-saturation or HDR (or whatever it is) adds a certain je ne sais quois to it.

Hey Allan :)

Blimey... a re-shoot :) not sure if I have seen you do one of these yet, unless I keep missing them :thinking:

Ending - Really nice that, the blue background works a treat, and the flower is certainly on it's last legs lol - nice one (y)

First - Damn... you have captured the shine beautifully there, a great conversion, I'm also liking the angle, with the cross not head on, finished off with a nice moody sky... 1st shot for me (y) again

Hi, Allan, Live, cracker, PS is a belting aid isn't it. I like the close composition but had a crop and got even closer to remove some of the RHS.

Ending, nice contracting colours, with good detail. Looks a tad underexposed on my iPad, though :thinking:

First, two very poignant and timely submissions that work really well. No crit from me but the moody sky works really well.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy I see what you mean about "ending" being under exposed
Moody sky had to do a bit of work on that, thanks for noticing (y)

Balance - Fits the theme and the B&W approach suits the image

Change - This is really nicely lit - Almost gold looking. The focus appears spot on as well. Good one Allan.

Grow - Very amusing for the theme especially for Halloween night. I like how you've put these at different heights coming out of the soil

Live - You've been negative about the PP but I feel you've done a really good job especially with the stitches on the back of the neck

Reshoot - Really vivid colours on this one. I can't decide whether the blue is a bit too deep to I still like it as it is

First - Absolutely super mono conversion on these one. I do prefer #1 as the detail in the soldiers is superb. Another one fitting for the week of the theme

Thanks Peter can't really claim anything for the stitches they are a PS brush, to be honest I put little effort into it, was a bit fed up of it all at the time
Thanks for the comments (y)

B+w was a great choice there Allan, both great pics, number 1 is the one I prefer, lovely detail.

Thanks seems everyone has gone for number one

I'd never heard of the film, so the title was lost on me, but the concept was obvious without the film reference, so you're right about no explanation being necessary. It actually reminded me of this week's Dr Who episode with the cybermen coming out of the graves :clap:

I did see that episode, a very similar concept, you obviously are too young to remember the film ;)

Liking them both, and perfect for the theme.

Like the detail in the soldiers on the first, and the greater amount of cloud but not the central ness of the monument and the crop. Imagine there was something to the right then just lovely sky and a nice tree line.

Prefer the position of the monument in the second, the the gaze of the children.

Cracking processing in then both though.

yes I would have liked a wider view too but houses cars etc, have to say I liked the second one too

Hi Allan

Reshoot/ending is a cracker - I love that blue background and it's totally saturated all round (in a good way)... the only tiny negative is that the blue is sort of close to a deep sky blue which makes it look slightly fake - either a different colour background or maybe just rein back the blue saturation a touch?

First shots are great - really like the low POV, perspective on the monuments and as others have said, the conversion is well-handled. Don't always have to go "max contrast" and the darker grey works well. Nice sky treatment too... Great pair of shots!

I agree it does look slightly fake as a BG it was intentional i wanted the bold contrast of the yellow and blue

Hi Allan super bright colours in your re-shoot, spot on focus on the flower.

I like both your First shots but I think the first one is stunning....the sky, the angle, the choice of the subtle b&w, it all works together to make that wonderful monument come alive ...really well done.

Thanks Susie glad you liked it :)

Hi Alan, I like your First images very much. Very Apt for the time of year but must say I prefer the first. I like the processing too. B&W Suits it and the over-saturation or HDR (or whatever it is) adds a certain je ne sais quois to it.

it's just a conversion to B+W and a fiddle with some sliders :D

Great memorials. Moody mono and dramatic skies.

Thanks

Hey Allan :)

Blimey... a re-shoot :) not sure if I have seen you do one of these yet, unless I keep missing them :thinking:

Ending - Really nice that, the blue background works a treat, and the flower is certainly on it's last legs lol - nice one (y)

First - Damn... you have captured the shine beautifully there, a great conversion, I'm also liking the angle, with the cross not head on, finished off with a nice moody sky... 1st shot for me (y) again

I think I did the first reshoot :thinking: but you are right I think apathy set in :sulk::meh: :indifferent::grumpy:
:p

Hi Allan

Live - seem to be some issues with the lighting and the position of the bolt but can't find fault with the idea and churlish to crit when you have such a patient model

Ending - i don't normally comment on reshoots if someone does them in addition to the week's theme, but this is top shot for me. Immediate impact, love the saturated colours - the blue is super - I did not think of the sky, just the contrast with the flower. Good detail, comp and focus (y)

First - both good shots with a very good conversion, pov, detail and focus. hard to fault. Good photos. :clap:

Tut Tut young man :LOL:

:p

Hi Allan

Love the color contrast on your reshoot , well positioned in the frame & sharper than a sharp thing (y)

First........#1 for me....super POV beautiful conversion & very poignant for this time of year :clap:

Thanks Lynne

Hi Allan

Live - seem to be some issues with the lighting and the position of the bolt but can't find fault with the idea and churlish to crit when you have such a patient model

Ending - i don't normally comment on reshoots if someone does them in addition to the week's theme, but this is top shot for me. Immediate impact, love the saturated colours - the blue is super - I did not think of the sky, just the contrast with the flower. Good detail, comp and focus (y)

First - both good shots with a very good conversion, pov, detail and focus. hard to fault. Good photos. :clap:

very patient model indeed, she has had to play dead a few times, I don't know what that says psychologically :whistle::LOL:

WEEK 46 SMOOTH

Corn snake by allanhowe, on Flickr

If you have ever handled a snake, careful now, amazingly smooth despite the scaly skin.
very difficult to get a good shot, very shallow DoF on this, 100mm macro lens @f8 shallower than I thought it would be.

I'm a little undecided about this one. I love how the very shallow dof has allowed you to capture such sharp detail in the scales and the glint in the eye, but somehow it has also given it a slight look of a disembodied head, with very little of the actual body discernible from the background. I think that a slightly less shallow dof would have given it a bit more perspective, but then you might not have got all that great detail - hence my indecision :confused:

Interesting Alan.....I think I like it (y) :D

Loving the pov, the eyes look sharp, like the fact that you can see the oof snakes body (y)..............:thinking:..if anything, maybe a different bg colour to separate it from the body

Hi Allan, well I'm going to give you the big thumbs up for this one because I love it. Snakes are indeed surprisingly smooth so perfectly on theme :) love the DOF choice as we all know what snakes look like so just having the relevant part in focus is great. You've done REALLY well to get the eyes and mouth IF with such shallow DOF.

Composition is very strong for me too: hard to imagine how you could improve this shot for me...

I'm a little undecided about this one. I love how the very shallow dof has allowed you to capture such sharp detail in the scales and the glint in the eye, but somehow it has also given it a slight look of a disembodied head, with very little of the actual body discernible from the background. I think that a slightly less shallow dof would have given it a bit more perspective, but then you might not have got all that great detail - hence my indecision :confused:

Thanks Elaine I know what you mean about the shallow DoF I looked at it all day yesterday before deciding I quite liked it how it was

Interesting Alan.....I think I like it (y) :D

Loving the pov, the eyes look sharp, like the fact that you can see the oof snakes body (y)..............:thinking:..if anything, maybe a different bg colour to separate it from the body

Will bear the advice about the BG in mind but wont be repeating the shoot she's not the most co-operative model even worse than the wife :D

Hi Allan, well I'm going to give you the big thumbs up for this one because I love it. Snakes are indeed surprisingly smooth so perfectly on theme :) love the DOF choice as we all know what snakes look like so just having the relevant part in focus is great. You've done REALLY well to get the eyes and mouth IF with such shallow DOF.

Composition is very strong for me too: hard to imagine how you could improve this shot for me...

You are obviously right :agree: :ROFLMAO:

Smooth - Now that is a cracking shot, love the bright colour, a super background and focus bang on the left eye... tough to find any fault, being uber picky a slightly deeper DoF would be great but tough to do with a macro and get a decent speed/ISO too, really like this mate (y)

Back