weekly blakesters 2014 52 - Retired Gracefully

Week 14 - Natural
I shot this dandelion this evening, getting the theme out of the way early (for me).
i am away on a course for work again next week so won't get the time for anything else.
I will stick with the 52 for the time being, to see if my enthusiasm returns.
No C&C required or expected to be honest, I have been slack in commenting so its only fair.
This keeps me up to date with the photos for now.

Im going to disagree with most people on this and say I really like it! I like the composition and the fact that the hand rail comes in from the corner and takes you through the frame. The steps look never ending too which looks good. I hope you find the will to carry on with the 52, I think some of the best pics so far have been yours and it would be a shame not to see more!

Im going to disagree with most people on this and say I really like it! I like the composition and the fact that the hand rail comes in from the corner and takes you through the frame. The steps look never ending too which looks good. I hope you find the will to carry on with the 52, I think some of the best pics so far have been yours and it would be a shame not to see more!
I totally agree with Adam, keep it up Iain.(y)(y)

Nature... Now that is a BEAUTY. Love the big frame filling... err.. framing. :). Fantastic detail in the focus area accentuated by the oof areas round the edge.

This could have been done usinga focal blur tool ( picasa has one) but i know thats not your style.

Also lliking the rebellious(?) entry into the shot from just above the corner.

(y)

Last edited:
Nature - now this I do like, the composition is good and the detail in the dandelion head is brilliant, great work.

and

No crit. Ticks all the boxes for me: nice and close, good detail, I like DOF leaving just the near part in focus. Nice muted colours.

Cheers.

I agree with totally :clap:

Step - I think you were going to struggle with this subject given the superb staircase you shot for the Swirl theme.

Nature - Love this one. The sharpness of the centre is complimented wonderfully by the softness of the dandelion as it heads off towards the edges.

Keep going Iain. I think we all go through this period. I know I certainly did with the POTY last year - too much confusion over "rules" and too little feedback.

Cheers Adam (y)
i will plod along for the time being but still undecided.

Nature - now this I do like, the composition is good and the detail in the dandelion head is brilliant, great work.

Thanks Mandy (y)

I totally agree with Adam, keep it up Iain.(y)(y)

Thanks Judi (y)

Nature... Now that is a BEAUTY. Love the big frame filling... err.. framing. :). Fantastic detail in the focus area accentuated by the oof areas round the edge.

This could have been done usinga focal blur tool ( picasa has one) but i know thats not your style.

Also lliking the rebellious(?) entry into the shot from just above the corner.

(y)

Thanks Graham (y)
Yes, I believe you can with picassa, not my style as you say.
Rebellious? :D I had it in my head to crop this quite close but wanted to preserve the ratio. Taking the stalk of the dandelion into the corner meant it was too tightly cropped on the head, so having the stalk a little out of the corner was a compromise IYSWIM?

No crit. Ticks all the boxes for me: nice and close, good detail, I like DOF leaving just the near part in focus. Nice muted colours.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy (y)
Used the 105 again, you know how shallow DOF is on that lens?

and

I agree with totally :clap:

Cheers Mark (y)

Step - I think you were going to struggle with this subject given the superb staircase you shot for the Swirl theme.

Nature - Love this one. The sharpness of the centre is complimented wonderfully by the softness of the dandelion as it heads off towards the edges.

Keep going Iain. I think we all go through this period. I know I certainly did with the POTY last year - too much confusion over "rules" and too little feedback.

Thanks Peter (y)
I appreciate your comments, I will carry on for the time being and see how it goes. I just don't want for the 52 to turn into a chore.

Keep going mate... Even as a post and be damned that's a very nice image, I think it could do with a bit more space to the sides, but I love the DoF you have chosen, with the centre only in focus and a light halo of fluffiness :)

Cheers Dean (y)
I see what you mean about more space at the sides, it was a compromise as mentioned above but valid comments nonetheless.

Great image Iain, lighting, dof, the detail in the centre is spot on (y)

Hi Iain, Very nice dandelion, The shallow DoF works well, simple but effective (y)
Nothing else I can add

Hi Iain, I think we've been going through the same lack of enthusiam recently! Please try and keep going with it I look forward to seeing your shots each week!
Nature - a lovely shot - I like the sharp center and soft edges, position and background spot on! well done!:)

Hi Iain, I think we've been going through the same lack of enthusiam recently! Please try and keep going with it I look forward to seeing your shots each week!
Nature - a lovely shot - I like the sharp center and soft edges, position and background spot on! well done!:)

Thanks Sarah (y)
I am going to consider it as each theme is announced whether I continue or not.
My enthusiasm for the 52 has dropped considerably, I will wait and see.

Week 11 - Swirl, as I mentioned over in the discussion thread, I am away on a course this week so an early submission was required.
Below is my take on the theme, C&C welcome as always

Week 11 - Swirl
by iain blake, on Flickr

So, I was watching Inside the Human Body on TV and I says "They are Iain's steps!" And my wife shakes her head:)

Strange seeing them the TV!!

Cheers.

So, I was watching Inside the Human Body on TV and I says "They are Iain's steps!" And my wife shakes her head:)

Strange seeing them the TV!!

Cheers.

You need to pay a visit down south Andy, and I will take you round and show you the sights, you would love it :)

Well, week 15 and I never managed to get a shot for action.
I wasn't overly concerned by this, having had a week back home to Scotland, I was out and about with my camera and did get a few photographs which I am pleased with.
I am not even going to try and crowbar, shoehorn or as Andy @posiview put use poetic licence ;)
I feel the main point of the 52 is getting use out of my camera on a weekly basis and I achieved that this week on quite a few occasions.
Below are my submissions for week 15, C&C welcome as always but not expected as they aren't remotely connected to the theme. Onwards and upwards :D

Portencross Pier by iain blake, on Flickr

Heads in the Air by iain blake, on Flickr

I like the colours and detail in the pier shot.

The heads are also very good, the lighting is great. I thought it was another of your creations when I first saw it :)

I like the colours and detail in the pier shot.

The heads are also very good, the lighting is great. I thought it was another of your creations when I first saw it :)

Thanks Mark (y)
One of my creations? I wish :D

Week 16 - Mono
Its a wet Easter Sunday where I am, so thought I'd get a bit creative with some wire bending again :D
C&C welcome as always

Single Fish by iain blake, on Flickr

Hi Iain,
Lovely colours in your Pier picture, and the heads are very your kind of thing, they are interesting as Mark say great lighting :)
Mono...Its just brilliant!! love it(y)(y)

Thanks Judi (y)
the pier and heads are not to theme obviously but I enjoyed shooting them, getting out with my camera, hopefully this weeks is more on theme.

Mono, is more about the creating the subject than photography if I am honest but I did enjoy my Sunday afternoon :D

Non Action :) - pier is great colours are spot on, composition is good

the faces the detail is superb lighting too.

Mono - very creative and very good but find the back round wire a bit much

Craig

Cheers Craig (y)
I understand about the background but I wanted to steer away from a plain black or white background.
Probably a plain sheet of metal would have been better but I don't have one :D

Hi Iain....blimey I've been slack with comments lately....SORRY :(

Nature...lovely soft dreamy focus....a bit of a different image for you I think but done really really well.....nothing to crit at all :clap:

Week 15...I echo your words about the challenge being to get out with the camera.......sometimes life just does not allow for the theme.....of the 2 images I just love the Faces shot.You have a knack of finding the unusual & producing a super shot from it (y)

Mono.....saw this on FB & loved it , guessed it might be your submission for this week......can't crit as love it ,perfectly lit , brilliant handicraft skills & I think the mesh you;ve placed it on actually compliments rather than distracts from it :clap:

Oh....just spotted something & it's very very minor , probably my OCD more than anything.....if you'd rotated it just a smidge cw the space from nose to frame edge & tail tip to frame edge would be the same....:coat:

The heads I really like :clap:I want to have a go at cloning out the wires, they'd look even better floating :D Where was it took Iain?

Mono- there's certainly nowt wrong with your wire bending skills (y) :D I like the image, but for my eyes, the bg is very distracting :)

Hi, Iain, heads is weird :) well spotted.

Mono, great skill and the BG really contrasts well with the fish. Feels a little tight at the top and bottom for me. Lynne's suggestion does work, but then the LH and RH edges of the back bone won't be level so I'm OK as it is.

Cheers.

Love the fishy shot! Very creative and well on theme. I hate to think how long it must have taken to make it - I just wouldn't have the patience - well done :clap:

a lot of colour in the water under the pier there.. maybe a bit too much? But I love the detail in the structure itself

Hanging heads is pretty cool.... I reckon the cables would clone out with a bit of time. :naughty:

and the fish is easily up to your usual standard. i like the metal grill as the BG, makes it look ready to pop into an oven, or onto a BBQ.

No problems with people playing Jokers for any week if things get tough.... better than posting nothing or dragging out an old shot! (y)

Hi Iain, Love the floating heads you have captured them really well

the metal fish is superb :clap:no idea why people think it needs a rotation as it would put the mesh out and would be very noticeable
BG works for me too what else would you put a metal fish on.

Good to see you still in too

Hi Iain....blimey I've been slack with comments lately....SORRY :(

Nature...lovely soft dreamy focus....a bit of a different image for you I think but done really really well.....nothing to crit at all :clap:

Week 15...I echo your words about the challenge being to get out with the camera.......sometimes life just does not allow for the theme.....of the 2 images I just love the Faces shot.You have a knack of finding the unusual & producing a super shot from it (y)

Mono.....saw this on FB & loved it , guessed it might be your submission for this week......can't crit as love it ,perfectly lit , brilliant handicraft skills & I think the mesh you;ve placed it on actually compliments rather than distracts from it :clap:

Oh....just spotted something & it's very very minor , probably my OCD more than anything.....if you'd rotated it just a smidge cw the space from nose to frame edge & tail tip to frame edge would be the same....:coat:

Thanks Lynne (y)
Yes, I can see what you mean about the spacing, maybe worth having another shoot to sort that :)

The heads I really like :clap:I want to have a go at cloning out the wires, they'd look even better floating :D Where was it took Iain?

Mono- there's certainly nowt wrong with your wire bending skills (y) :D I like the image, but for my eyes, the bg is very distracting :)

Cheers Phil (y)
The heads were taken in Kelvingrove Art Galleries in Glasgow.
I can see how the background on the fish may be seen as distracting, I agree. I wanted it taken on a metal/shiny background and thought this suitable.

Hi, Iain, heads is weird :) well spotted.

Mono, great skill and the BG really contrasts well with the fish. Feels a little tight at the top and bottom for me. Lynne's suggestion does work, but then the LH and RH edges of the back bone won't be level so I'm OK as it is.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy (y)
Yes it is cropped a little tight, I agree. I was after the letterbox look but may just have overdone the cropping a little.

very creative for mono. Lit very well and I also think the background suits. well done. (y)

Cheers Adam (y)
I lit this with 3 flashes, probably overkill but i'd just purchased a couple of new flashes and wanted to try off camera flash with them all together :D

Love the fishy shot! Very creative and well on theme. I hate to think how long it must have taken to make it - I just wouldn't have the patience - well done :clap:

Thanks Elaine (y)
It didn't take too long to make the fish, maybe a couple of hours but I find it enjoyable. :D

a lot of colour in the water under the pier there.. maybe a bit too much? But I love the detail in the structure itself

Hanging heads is pretty cool.... I reckon the cables would clone out with a bit of time. :naughty:

and the fish is easily up to your usual standard. i like the metal grill as the BG, makes it look ready to pop into an oven, or onto a BBQ.

No problems with people playing Jokers for any week if things get tough.... better than posting nothing or dragging out an old shot! (y)

Cheers Graham (y)
Yes, I am going to have a go at cloning the cables, good shout.

Hi Iain, Love the floating heads you have captured them really well

the metal fish is superb :clap:no idea why people think it needs a rotation as it would put the mesh out and would be very noticeable
BG works for me too what else would you put a metal fish on.

Good to see you still in too

Thanks Allan (y)
My thinking behind the metal mesh background was to compliment the metal of the fish itself, thanks for your agreement ;)

Hi Iain, mono - Great handiwork and a great shot too. I would like to see a bit more space top and bottom but it works well as is.

Week 17 - Twisted
Back to another default subject for me I'm afraid, I have went with twisted as in bent?
I am away from home with work again all next week so this is it for me, no C&C necessary, I am just hanging in with the 52, keeping it ticking over so to speak.

Week 17 - Twisted by iain blake, on Flickr

Back