Canon 1DX - Official Owners Thread

whats nice ? I couldnt see anything about a 1dxmkII accept by name... what would be new or improved?

iso and pixel count i am happy with... OK even better iso would be nice but not nice enough to upgrade..

built in wifi so i can send straight to laptop as i shoot would be good

anything else?
For my 5d3 larger mp. Better dynamic range. WiFi and better paint coating as the one in the 5d3 is shocking

Doesn't get mentioned that often but the 1dx also shoots beautiful video.
Used mine recently in Nepal to shoot most of this appeal film for UK charity Toilet Twinning

Last edited:
Very pro looking video.. well done!

for me the video option on the 1dx makes it next to useless... it doesnt even zoom and stay in focus....

Has anyone had cps clean and service their 1DX ?
mines 2 years old and runs fine, aprox 90,000 actuations, but sensor need a good clean and I'm wondering if its worth paying the extra (£80 total + vat)
to get it serviced .
Do these cameras need servicing ?

Has anyone had cps clean and service their 1DX ?
mines 2 years old and runs fine, aprox 90,000 actuations, but sensor need a good clean and I'm wondering if its worth paying the extra (£80 total + vat)
to get it serviced .
Do these cameras need servicing ?

Mine went to over 400 thousand without a clean or service... 90 thousand? not needed IMHO... got a new shutter just in case and it dont feel any different meaning it was OK before it went.. did the new shutter as I wanted to be half sure of it lasting the next working year

Mine went to over 400 thousand without a clean or service... 90 thousand? not needed IMHO... got a new shutter just in case and it dont feel any different meaning it was OK before it went.. did the new shutter as I wanted to be half sure of it lasting the next working year

To add.. its got to depend a lot on usage.. not just shutter count.. how often you chang lens..how dirty your shutter gets blah blah

Anyone using 14 frame mode ?

I had a play with Tony but only found disadvantages over 12 frames and nothing on the benefit side. The loss of vision and more specifically focus tracking meant that the DoF and field of view had to be big enough to cope.....birds lifting off in my case.

Bob

hmmm that must be why I never bothered originally.. its been what.. 2 yrs or more now.. got used to what I do and still havent looked at a lot of stuff on it...

I would think that focus being fixed would be a no-no for you......maybe cricket or golf but not too much else.

Bob

Never even tried it.......fixed focus of no use to me either, the only application I can think of is e.g. at the finishing line of a sprint or something like that where you can focus on a point and know the subject is going to be there at some time in the future!!

On a separate note, I've been having the occasional focus problem, and sent mine back to Elstree for a check as it's out of warranty in a week or so (and I'm going off to the Pantanal to, I hope see jaguars!!)

They tell me there's some dust on one of the focusing screen, and also the cross-type sensors are out of spec... the vert and horiz ones are ok...they say it's fixable with a reset of software or firmware, but can't be done by an end user, only by the service centre.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?...I await the camera back tomorrow, and will have a closer look at what's been done and report.

Strange.

Mine still seem to be okay, George.....not even been back for last year's recall yet!

I guess that a tee shot at golf, tennis player serving etc......the focus is active until the point that the shutter is released so a quick burst of shots before the action moves out of focus.

Bob

what where the symptoms George?

Well, they were a bit difficult to pinpoint, Tony, and that was part of the problem.

Most of the time everything was fine, but just occasionally the camera either just wouldn't focus (I was set at achieve focus before firing) so wouldn't take the shot, or it would think it was in focus but the subject wasn't in focus when I looked at the shot......not by a huge amount but not what we expect from the 1 Dx

This tended to happen mostly with my 70-200 mk2 2.8, so I included this lens when I sent everything back to Elstree.

The lens is 4 years old, obviously out of warranty, and I've had problems before with it, so I wondered if in fact the camera was ok and the fault lay with the lens, however they (Elstree) tell me that wasn't the case and the camera was the guilty party!!

It'll be back with me this pm, so I'll be doing MFA with the lenses I'm taking to Brazil just to see if anything has changed, and taking some random shots over the weekend , and will report back!!

On your 14 fps comments, I really don't see the need except for some very specific shots as Bob has said, but, like the video feature, it ain't one I can envisage using, 12 fps is plenty and I want to shoot in RAW anyway!!

George.

Last edited:
Just got the body back...nice and clean!!

I quote..

"Cleaned focus sensor, calibrated auto focus to specification, function check"

Will check later.

George

Just set up using FoCal and my 300 2.8 mk2 along with various extenders, and the consistency of focus is clearly better.....good first step.

Also did some tests comparing lens sharpness at various apertures with the base lens, both my 1.4 mk3 extenders, and my 2x mk 3 extender.

The reduction of quality between the base lens and both 1.4 extenders was very marginal and I doubt whether it could be seen in images.......in round figures 300 mm reading 1950-2050 and both extenders around 1900, with the 2x there was a greater deterioration to around 1720, which is still very good.

These figures are from fully open to about f8 where sharpness starts to drop.

All tests done with FoCal.

Happy to forward files if anyone is interested, by email.

Will be doing tests on my 70-200 2.8 mk2 over the next few days and will report.

George.

Sorry just seen your replies George... sounds like you got it all sorted then?

Well I hope so, Tony, spent ages setting everything up before I left and I've just arrived in Rio where I won't be waking around with the 1Dx....just using my EOS M as a sort of unostentatious point and shoot (although on RAW it should be fine, just holiday snaps here!)

The fun will start at Iguassu falls, but the real test will be on the river with otters and, I hope, Jaguars!!

Will let you know how it goes, looking forward to it, all the tests I did prior to leaving didn't show up any problems, however.......fingers crossed!!

George.

The battery on my 1DX keeps displaying the 'needs calibrating' guff on the screen so I contacted Canon to see about a replacement under warranty, I'm CPS.
They want the old battery returned to them first before they will supply a new one.
So what am I supposed to do in the mean time?

Not happy

Jim, I can lend you one for a bit?...did you contact Elstree directly?

Actually, perhaps we could meet and check it in my body just in case it's body related?

Yep, Elstree direct,

Thanks but it's deffo the battery as it shows as needing calibrated in my 1D IV and the 1D IV battery is perfect in the 1DX

Same happens with the one I am borrowing.

To be honest the 1D IV battery lasts longer than the 1DX battery and the 1DX battery is the higher rated of the two

both my 1dx batteries show need calibrating .. have done for yonks... always work well and last well though

I can flatten this battery in one day, never done that with the 1D IV

I take you have tried calibrating the battery in the charger?

It's been getting calibrated every charge now for nearly six months. Last week I put it in the charger Friday night, pressed the recalibrate button, got up Saturday morning and it was flat. I had to use my 1D IV battery.

This is why I want it changed whilst it's still under warranty

shooting sports had a few downers lately.. keeper rate falling short especialy in low light situations.. some poor results and thinking its me..

I get iratic focus.. someone running towards me i shoot a burst and some are in and some are out of focus.. like the mk3 used to do.. (hand held indoors i can see background different position so maybe me not keeping steady)

but when shooting at a static object all seems to be well...

I ahve changed my settings for tomorrows football.. normally on set 1 now gone to set 4 and chenged tracking sensativity to locked on-1 (thinking -2 too severe)

biggest change have gone from single point to +4 assist ..which gives me a bigger area to point in the right direction.. hopefully one on will stay on..

my ai servo priority first shot is all the way towards focus so it really shouldnt fire until focus achived in the frame rate timeline and set second shot to +2 full focus ...canon reccomend this for low light.. cant hurt in decent light either so will stick to it.. those where already set to that.. as was iTR AF set to off..

its either me or the cameras going iffy :( could well be me... combination of weaker eyes and old age haha :)

anyone got tried tested setting they changed through trial and error?

Last edited:
My battery failed to charge again so it's back at Calumet yesterday. I see you now get a spare battery with a new 1DX

Tony

I have mine at set 5, with all all the options set at default. But no idea if it would be better at set 4.

I also have mine set to focus priority and based on what you say Canon recommends I have changed AI Servo to +2.

I have had mine set at centre point, and have been thinking about changing to +4 assist so I will be interested to hear if it works well for you.

seemed to work pretty well.. i turned off anyhting that might effect.. such as highlight and eeerm cant remeber and batteries charging now.. second half i was on iso 12800 and focused on players coming towards me (purposely for testing) i fired of quite long bursts and there practically all in focus certainly no worries now.... i like the assist points. my eyes cant see the center point of the 400 when stuffs a way off... this is like having a bigger target to aim at things so seems to ahve worked OK . certainly not had any adverse effects...Will know more when i do my next indoor sport.. but deffo keeping new settings for now

I like centre and 4 assist rather than 8 assist as I found it lost focus quicker with all the surrounding points enabled, Tony, as well.

I did a lot of reading up on it... When I got the 1dx it was all new.. got mine real early so nobody had mastered it yet.. plus the big firmware update added a few extra focus bits... Anyays I ahve been set in my ways... the reading I ahve done.. a lot of people like the 4 assists... certainly the one spot fine is too fine.. the one spot you ahve to make sure your on and with fast moving sports its not always easy.. the 4 asists seemed to work well.. hit everything i aimed at today.. sometimes wiht the 400mm I was getting bagrounds in focus ... I htink thats more me and my eyesight to be fair.. but hitting everyhting now it seems :)

Good to hear it went well.

Battery not returned yet, poor service from Canon

Back