Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Yeah, not a bad shout. I have to admit though, I do like the L series quality. Almost an addictive issue I suppose.

I was a bit disappointed in the finish of the (rubbery coated) 150-500 sigma. Is this a standard across the range?

No there's a new tougher coat on the 120-300 os more like a kickon finish. I agree about L glass having just bought my first one, the 24-70 and loving it but a 300L 2.8 is fetching over £3000 used and a third of that for the sigma.
A 16-35mm + 24-70mm + 70-200mm +300mm all f2.8 + 1.4 convertor, that's my target over the next two years. Unless I change my mind again ;).

sounds like a great line up.

I just change my mind all the time :)

My line up for the 5d (when it gets here) is - 16-35. 24-105, 70-200 mk2, 50mm 1.4, 100-400. I think that should do for now. I do like reach though so will see what the 100-400 feels like. If too short I will use my 7d when needed. Or, could sell & buy the Tamron 150-600???

Last edited:
there's also the sigma 150-500, very impressive looking lens, nice image/pretty sharp, but just felt it lacked in quality. i've had no experience with Tamron lenses, I was told to stay away years back, was this bad advice?

My line up for the 5d (when it gets here) is - 16-35. 24-105, 70-200 mk2, 50mm 1.4, 100-400. I think that should do for now. I do like reach though so will see what the 100-400 feels like. If too short I will use my 7d when needed. Or, could sell & buy the Tamron 150-600???

Hi Kev

Just wondering if you have a photo of your wife's face when you told her about this latest gear shuffle. Or are you lucky enough to have one who does not pull faces at such news?.:D

I bet you there will be a 150-600 on order soon.

Look forward to your impressions of the new kit.

David

Hi Kev

Just wondering if you have a photo of your wife's face when you told her about this latest gear shuffle. Or are you lucky enough to have one who does not pull faces at such news?.:D

I bet you there will be a 150-600 on order soon.

Look forward to your impressions of the new kit.

David

She is on a need to know basis as usual. ;)

LOL. I'm an impatient sod though :mad: Just looking at the weather but it is shocking (again) :( The 15 day long forecast is also looking miserable. Anyone want to buy a 5d. LOL

Last edited:
Toys arrived today. Now, to play

Just totted up in my head how much that's worth!!! I hope the weather is better where you are, total grey out today in North London.

Good luck with the 70-200 f2.8. will be good for the arms and shoulders.

I tried to persuade a friend of mine to buy the F4 version, (he's not a very keen photographer) but he bought one in Malaysia as the price was "too good to miss".

Is it heavy I asked "oh yes very" was the reply.

David

LOL. I'm an impatient sod though :mad: Just looking at the weather but it is shocking (again) :( The 15 day long forecast is also looking miserable. Anyone want to buy a 5d. LOL
I went to Lepe Beach last Sunday with a colleague and didn't even get the camera out of the boot it was so bad. Going in to London next Saturday for some long exposure... I'm not too optimistic.

Anyone looking to try their new gear out in the central London area could do worse than pop along to the Chinese new year celebrations in and around China Town on Sunday.
Weather permitting of course. After the shock i had back in November i might not even take the camera out of the bag if its raining.

Hi chaps, I have a 6D and i'm starting to get a little frustrated with the lack of AF points (mainly cross type). Has anyone made the switch from 6D to 5D mk3?

I did - because I don't focus and recompose. The 5d3 has a few advantages but the main is it's focus engine and number of focus points. I'm getting a 6d in a few weeks to replace a 1ds2 as other than the greatly reduced number of focus points I really liked it.

Just totted up in my head how much that's worth!!! I hope the weather is better where you are, total grey out today in North London.

Good luck with the 70-200 f2.8. will be good for the arms and shoulders.

I tried to persuade a friend of mine to buy the F4 version, (he's not a very keen photographer) but he bought one in Malaysia as the price was "too good to miss".

Is it heavy I asked "oh yes very" was the reply.

David

Arm muscles are well defined now after lugging my 7D & 100-400 around for nearly a year. It's done nothing but rain here from mid morning. Horrible crappy stuff!! Also, my conservatory has sprung a leak. No money left to fix it though now. :LOL:

I did - because I don't focus and recompose. The 5d3 has a few advantages but the main is it's focus engine and number of focus points. I'm getting a 6d in a few weeks to replace a 1ds2 as other than the greatly reduced number of focus points I really liked it.
I decided on upgrading a couple of days ago and grabbed a UK one off the classifieds. A little more than I wanted to pay considering it has a small mark on it but I'd prefer that over a grey. I'm still waiting for it to be posted so I'm not at all jealous of you guys receiving your new kit :-(
I'll definitely miss the 6D when I sell it, it's a great little camera. I actually really liked the WiFi function.

Anyone looking to try their new gear out in the central London area could do worse than pop along to the Chinese new year celebrations in and around China Town on Sunday.
Weather permitting of course. After the shock i had back in November i might not even take the camera out of the bag if its raining.

The weather is supposed to be sunny & dry on Sunday (for a change) and around 5-9 degrees. I'm taking the wife & kid up there, since she's from Singapore and celebrates CNY. My son has swimming lessons on Sunday morning, so we're aiming to get up there around midday. We know lots of other people going, so expect it to be very busy!

I celebrated it in Vietnam in a small town called hoi an.it was simply magical. What an amazing place.so many great shots to take. I am really spoilt .and I have met so many wonderful local people.

I have so much to tell and so much pics to show.I still have another week here in Vietnam.

I wish u all could come here

I was out last night and taking shots in poor lighting and shots came out great. It never gets old smiling to see a 128k iso shot looking good. Love this camera.

I'd only upgrade to a a new 5d if a 128k shot was clean like a iso 400 shot and even then that's pushing my reasoning. Can see me staying with this camera for 10 years. Maybe I will wait until a 5d mirror less camera appears and then it may be worth the upgrade to o a new tech.

I remember my mum(who passed away a few years ago) had a Canon a1 film which was a 5d type level camera back then and she had since I was born (nearly 30 years) and it still works(she gave it to me) I could see myself sticking with this 5d for a long time

Last edited:
Do it. I was blown away by mine my on 7D and on my 5D MKIII it's just wow. My mother in law has a 350D with kit lens and always comments that my camera is better and that's why I get better pics - so I put the 70-200 on hers and took some shots and her jaw dropped.

Do it. I was blown away by mine my on 7D and on my 5D MKIII it's just wow. My mother in law has a 350D with kit lens and always comments that my camera is better and that's why I get better pics - so I put the 70-200 on hers and took some shots and her jaw dropped.
Similar scenario except I did not put my lens on her body but just used the kit lens and my knowledge and experience to take shots and she was blown away :) just to prove to her it is 95% all about u and not the gear hehe.

70 200 is amazing with the right hands but can turn out to be no better then a kit lens in the wrong hands

Long exposures on the 5d iii.

I've recently got my self a ten stop nd filter and have experimenting with LE shooting, is it normal for the time taken to process the shot in camera to be about the the same time taken to take the shot, for example 2min bulb shot, now 2min waiting for the camera to say not busy? I'm using a 45 mbs sd card at the moment, would a fast cf card make much difference?

I've recently got my self a ten stop nd filter and have experimenting with LE shooting, is it normal for the time taken to process the shot in camera to be about the the same time taken to take the shot, for example 2min bulb shot, now 2min waiting for the camera to say not busy? I'm using a 45 mbs sd card at the moment, would a fast cf card make much difference?
That can't be correct. I do 1min or 2min exposure and it displays the final pic instantly

Yes it is, you have got "Long exposure noise reduction" enabled.
This takes another identical exposure with a dark field and uses it to find noise and eliminate it. I turn mine off and just use LR.

Yes it is, you have got "Long exposure noise reduction" enabled.
This takes another identical exposure with a dark field and uses it to find noise and eliminate it. I turn mine off and just use LR.

Thank you for clearing that up does it actually make much difference my longest exposure to date have only been about 4mins

Last edited:
Thank you for clearing that up does it actually make much difference my longest exposure to date have only been about 4mins

Personally I find LR just as effective, I guess all you can do is set one up, let the canon do its thing, then turn that feature off and fire the same exposure again with out it, then compare back to back in your editing software and see if you own post processing can equal it. if so, you save a lot of both time, and battery life. Im usually in the 3 - 5 min range, so if you only do 10 a day, youve wasted almost an hour of light waiting for noise reduction.

I'm sure this has been covered before but how do you guys do OCF? I tried cheapy transmitters but after one go they stopped working!

I've seen the 600EX RT has remote camera triggering, does that mean with one of those you don't need any other gadgets? If so what is the Canon ST E3 RT for?

All of these are pretty costly and I'm not wanting to spend a small fortune on them just yet. I have two 430EX ii flash guns that I'd like to use off camera occasionally. Any ideas appreciated.

You do need a trigger to work with the 600EX. The camera doesn't have one. I almost sold my 580EXII as I thought I could get away without a trigger, it's not always clear that you still need one.

I have a set of these and have had no issues controlling my 580EXII and 270EXII.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yongnuo-YN-622C-Wireless-Trigger-580EXII/dp/B0090BSSZO

My needs are pretty simple though, but they have a good rep, and are nice and cheap.

Last edited:
Back