Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Any suggestions on grips for the mk3? In the past I usually went 3rd party. Can anyone help with which one is the best? Thanks for the help :)

If its only going to be used now and again then a third party one would seem good value. Mine stays on all the time and for that reason alone I would always buy an OE grip.

Im sure others will disagree :)

Took delivery of a 5D3 today, and first impressions are that it is a major step up from my 5D2 (which I love). First thing that grabbed me is just how good the images at ISO 12800 are - totally usable with minimal noise. Love the fact you can extend auto ISO to whatever you want and also select minimum shutter speed on AV. Colour rendition seems much better too. Was worried that the new AF system would be tricky at first but TBH it is no problem. Was a bit surprised the 61 AF points are clustered so close to the middle of the frame, would have been nice if you could select a little closer to the edges but that's a minor niggle. Only had it a few hours so not been able to fully get stuck in with it but very impressed so far :)

Amazing camera. Loving mine, though still not got the hang of it lol

How many focussing points do people use on general day-to-day, walkabout photography?

Pete

Thanks Dave,

makes sense!!

Pete

How many focussing points do people use on general day-to-day, walkabout photography?

Pete

Depends. Usually I'm boring, just use centre point, focus and recompose if needed, but just lately I've been experimenting with more and at times all 61 so I don't recompose.

I'm asking as I tend to just use the centre 4 and recompose, as you both suggest. Just wondering if I'm underusing my incredible focussing system. Before I get shot down in flames, I know there isn't a right answer to every situation, just generalising.

Pete

I'm asking as I tend to just use the centre 4 and recompose, as you both suggest. Just wondering if I'm underusing my incredible focussing system. Before I get shot down in flames, I know there isn't a right answer to every situation, just generalising.

Pete

Think it depends what youre taking pics of. As i primarily take wildlife I use 2 different focus point in each orientation with the DOF button programmed to switch between them. For small birds i use spot AF on all of them.

I guess Pete is try and see. ;)

it's a stunning system, it really is, but unless you play with them all you'll never know...

Magic lantern is now available for Firmware 1.2.3. So whos going to be first to try it?

Magic lantern is now available for Firmware 1.2.3. So whos going to be first to try it?
I was just about to post this.

Ive been using it for a while but the new 1.2.3 release solves one big problem that seems to have put a lot a people off until now, the bootloader.

Thank you. As I don't do video are there any benefits for stills shooting?0
I use it for stills and timelapse (the main reason I installed it) as at present I do not do video.

A lot will depend on what type of photography you do. I use it a lot for landscapes as it offers the ability to have a built in bulb timer and intervolmeter.
It also does some interesting things such as dual iso which allows you to take two shots at different iso's in a single frame, it also does things like Auto Expose to the right and focus peaking for anyone that uses manual lenses.
Another small function is the ability to set the displays to red. this is great for shooting at night. Another function is the ability to link shutter lockup to the 2 second timer.

All of these functions can be customised an set up differently depending on what button you hold when turning the camera on. I have mine set that if I hold the menu key down I get everything setup for long exposures and timelapse.

Can any of you confirm if the latest release has the automated dot tune installed that will work on 1.2.3 firmware?

Installed magic lantern. Absolutely superb. The focus peaking is excellent for video and any sort of live view work. Auto expose to the right is fantastic too. Havent got checking out the automatic dot tune built into it, sure it works superb but I havent got any reason to test it yet. Dont want to get stuck in the habit of tuning lenses more than takng photos. Would definitely recommend people to give it a try!!

Finally pulled the trigger on a Mk iii on the weekend - I can't get over the thickness of the manual!!

Anyone recommend any decent field guide/idiots guide type books for it??

Cheers,

Matt

Finally pulled the trigger on a Mk iii on the weekend - I can't get over the thickness of the manual!!

Cheers,

Matt

I'll be honest, read the manual, then go out and use it briefly, deliberately in different ways to get used to the way it works and how you want to use it.

Then go out and use it , but keep the book in your bag for the first month.

I'll be honest, read the manual, then go out and use it briefly, deliberately in different ways to get used to the way it works and how you want to use it.

Then go out and use it , but keep the book in your bag for the first month.

Cheers, it's the complexity of the AF that astounds me and excites me about this beast of a camera - there's alot to it from what I've seen but it's just a case of getting a handle on it I feel :)

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers, it's the complexity of the AF that astounds me and excites me about this beast of a camera - there's alot to it from what I've seen but it's just a case of getting a handle on it I feel :)

Cheers,

Matt

It's not that scarey, but leave the mode in the first setting for now in the menu, then play with the different selection group settings. You can change these by repeated press of a button - but I'll let you read the manual to find out which... :)

I've previously mentioned about the wear marks on my camera after a year of street photography...

154992975.jpg

excuse the camera phone pic. Not much paint left there where it's rubbed against my clothes. Never had this before and I had my 50D for over 4 years and 120K pics

I've previously mentioned about the wear marks on my camera after a year of street photography...

154992975.jpg

excuse the camera phone pic. Not much paint left there where it's rubbed against my clothes. Never had this before and I had my 50D for over 4 years and 120K pics

You haven't started wearing one of those jackets or belts with 'eat my dust' in metal studs on have you? :D

154992975.jpg

Mine doesn't look as bad as yours!

Bit poor though? None of my other cameras suffered as bad as this.

I'm quite shocked by that. Would be tempted to ask Canon for comment on it? After all that's not that old a camera!

Agree with this, assuming your not a full time journo you should be moaning like hell at Canon. That's not what I would call reasonable wear on a two year old camera.

It's a one year old camera... I'm approaching it through cps.

Cheers,

Matt

Ive already posted this but its a long thread. This is the separate AF guide for the 5DMKIII. It might help give you a better understanding of what all the settings do.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ty0EKfS4G6R1ZLYUF1RVBxT1k/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ty0EKfS4G6R1ZLYUF1RVBxT1k/edit?usp=sharing
Book wise, this is my favorite. It really helped understand my 5D when i first got it. .Best read with the manual handy though
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007RGWZVM?redirect=true&ref_=kinw_myk_ro_title

The other book i have (and this was posted already by mickledore,) is this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008EB7AU0?redirect=true&ref_=kinw_myk_ro_title.

@Byker 28i.

That camera looks very poorly finished. Mine has definitely got a bit of wear on it, and its 18 months old this month. None of my other camera have ever showed any sing on the paint on the bottom coming off, and i had them all a lot longer than my 5D.
not good for a semi pro camera IMO.

Back