Capture a stranger street style : Part 2

York at the weekend....

7152151449_bb9f668fa9_b.jpg

7152117933_c33dc233c9_b.jpg

7006030796_eeeb32cc4c_b.jpg

I ran into this scene and was more curious to see how this scam worked so I watched and chose when to shoot. Follow the adventure down below.

*The images below are in the order I made them*
So as I snuck in here, I was watching and trying to figure out who was a
part of this con.
DSC_0354.jpg

When they saw me take the picture, I just walked away with the intentions
of trying to come back for the money shot (no pun intended), but here is what
the crowd looked like after the bus had picked up half of them.
DSC_0377.jpg

In this frame, the elderly lady you see next to the con with the smile on her face
was ''allowed'' to win $20.00....
DSC_0378.jpg

So After that picture, I walked to the other side. Nobody noticed me as they
where to busy watching them take her for $100.00 !!! She then started accusing
the con of ripping her off and making a bit of a small scene. I knew then she was
not a part of the con, but a victim.
DSC_0380.jpg

So that is when I could not take it and would not stand for it, so I started to
get in his face as well (In Spanish) and started to snap away and threatened
to call the police if he did not give her back her money. That is when his thug,
tried to grab my camera and lets just say, he did not succeed 8~) The adrenalin
rush was amazing I must say as he took a nap.
DSC_0381.jpg

So that is when I could not take it and would not stand for it, so I started to
get in his face as well

We get a lot of these in London. If you watch them for a while, you can tell who is 'in' and who is 'out'. If no one takes the bait for the first £20, one of the 'in' females 'wins' it, which draws the innocents in. And there's always at least one lookout standing 20-30 feet away. You can spot him because he's usually alert and watching whereas most of the other people are wandering around lost in their own thoughts. He also looks towards the scam more than any of the people around him.

I've thought about taking pictures but I know I'd come off worst in any confrontation. And if I took the photos to the police, they'd 'seize' the camera as evidence. :thinking:

Good shots, by the way.

Some from yesterday, got out shooting after a lay off due to busy busy, and terrible shocking weather in Scotland lately
It was good to get out again shooting anything that moved, and some that never

lens hog by Bruce Mo, on Flickr

cool dudes by Bruce Mo, on Flickr

Taken a while ago outside Harrods.
On viewing this I was struck by the motionless and seemingly disinterested girl contrasted with the movement of the central woman and the almost pleading way the other women is thrusting the leaflet towards me.

Please take a leaflet!! by paul139, on Flickr

Vince Cable MP and Newsreader Nick Owen, not exactly strangers :thinking:
but they were on a street:LOL:
nic_and_vince.jpg

Nice shot Garry.For me even though "the kiss" is at the edge of the frame it is still the main focal point. Love the colour and the grain.(y)

Argghhh just seen this was taken on a phone, so don't love the grain but do love the noise;)

Last edited:
Nice shot Garry.For me even though "the kiss" is at the edge of the frame it is still the main focal point. Love the colour and the grain.(y)

Argghhh just seen this was taken on a phone, so don't love the grain but do love the noise;)

Thanks. :)

It's not noise. It's simulated grain in one of the filters I used in either Pixlr-o-matic or Instagram. The Samsung Galaxy S2 has a very low-noise camera.

nice shot mate. thought it was taken using a FILM camera at first. it has that "FILM" look :)

Thanks. :)

I like to try and catch people un-aware . Its hard some times in `normal` day to day life , but at a charity fun day its a bit easier . Just some grab shots .

083.jpg

078.jpg

053.jpg

051.jpg

048.jpg

Back