weekly Cowboys 52 in 2013 Done and dusted

Good panning shot Mark, 1/80 maybe not that slow, but at 300mm :eek:....

Well done - good feeling of speed especially seeing the driver puling the steering wheel over in the corner.

Steps is excellent Mark. great POV, they look like a spanish lady's fan. well done

Summer is my fave from the other two, love how you have caught his expression, only negative being that I would like to see the sign a bit clearer, some selective brightening perhaps? Well caught up - new theme this morning!

Good detail in the stairs and interesting perspective. Just the poll (?) at the bottom that draws my eye.

Both Monos are good for me. The German officer is a cracker, but it's #1 for me great smile....first thought that sprang to mine was, 'My Precious'

Cheers.

Hi Mark

Steps....works a treat , lovely n sharp & excellent placement...night be tempted to crop out the oof round bit of the handrail ?

Speed....good panning shot , great DOF...just needs a little more room to drive in to

Mono...both work really well & each is great in it's own way...:clap:

Hi Mark, brian right on the steps looking like a senorita's fan.. they do work realy well. I'm not so bothered about the OOF top as the patch of grass and the bit obscuring the lower step - and they're not level... me, (being me) have had a little 10 minute play. Straightened, cloned some slabs over the grass, and copied the last full step, and rotated / resized it over the missing bit. See my efforts here. Hope you don't mind, but I can't help myself sometimes. :geek:

I like that chap for summer - oh to have that little to worry about in the world..... nice capture - no crit there! (Or on the german officer for that matter. (y))

Just realised I forgot to comment - damn my eyes!!

Steps and Summer (my preferred one of the two monos) - Great angle on steps, really works with the theme, but Summer is sublime, lovely expression and a great capture to.

Connection - Not my thing but I like the movement you have in there, plus the little girl just thinking "what's he doing?!" is a nice touch. Funnily enough I think that might work in mono too, a nice high contract version - could be wrong though.

another nice bit of panning for connection..... nice and sharp with a bit of blur in the BG....

I'd still suggest going a bit slower on the shutter - but I imagine there's not one train every few seconds like there is with cars on a race track - so your keeper rate needs to be a lot higher.

Thanks.

I was shooting a football match at the time so it was pretty much a grab shot. I wasn't going to use it until I saw the little girl looking out of the window.

Thanks.

I was shooting a football match at the time so it was pretty much a grab shot. I wasn't going to use it until I saw the little girl looking out of the window.

And she made it really work. A spot of luck BUT you wouldn't have had it if you wasn't trying for a shot so well done.

Steps works really well, nice and sharp and solid composition.

I like both mono shots, but the expression and pose in Summer is really nice. Beautifully sharp, and DOF is just about perfect too.

Again, maybe a little more space in front of the train in Connection, but the colours really pop. Lovely and crisp, with a nice sense of movement. The curious little girl is a bonus.

The puppy shot gets my vote for beginning, who doesn't love a puppy shot? The only little issue I have is with the clipped fingertips.

I agree with Nick on the puppy - and the fingertips! maybe a closer crop would work better? Anyway, that's just subjective, I like the detail in his fur and I think you have chosen a perfect depth of field,

Oh what a cutie. (y)

love the puppy - think maybe a closer crop would work better.... what is he going to be?? a little springer or somethng??

seedling, is probably tiny - although it'shard to gauge, looks good for focus and sufficient DOF, soil looks very dark though.

Thanks all.

The puppy is a springer spaniel just a few hours old.

The seedling is just a small plant being held between the fingers of a black glove ;)

lol, that Whimsical made me chuckle so well on theme and nice use of B&W

Hi Mark

Still life......good colors in those apples mister , like the presentation just a little close to the lhs & a few wrinkles in the black cloth,other than that it's a (y) from me

Whimisical.........good find for the theme ,mono works well & I love your expression ! Wonder if putting yourself on the lhs and letting the wall end at the photo edge would have worked ?

Hahaaaa - love the whimsical shot, agree the B&W really works with it for me, great expression (y)

Still - Could do with being a bit more central, the rear apples lit a bit more too and possibly a reflector to light the left of the basket a bit more too... apart from that Nice Apples :D

Hi, Mark, Still, good overall lighting (lightpainted?) and nice greens. I'd like even spacing around or perhaphs a tad wider.

Whimsical, well spotted and B&W adds to it. Not overly keen on the composiiton, might prefer a slight crop.

Cheers.

Hi
Still nicely lit and good colour but not really doing anything for me, sorry

Whimsical composition is a bit off, could be cropped a lot, but a nice idea by the way which one is you? :D

lol, that Whimsical made me chuckle so well on theme and nice use of B&W

Thanks.

Hi Mark

Still life......good colors in those apples mister , like the presentation just a little close to the lhs & a few wrinkles in the black cloth,other than that it's a (y) from me

Whimisical.........good find for the theme ,mono works well & I love your expression ! Wonder if putting yourself on the lhs and letting the wall end at the photo edge would have worked ?

Ta muchly.

Hahaaaa - love the whimsical shot, agree the B&W really works with it for me, great expression (y)

Still - Could do with being a bit more central, the rear apples lit a bit more too and possibly a reflector to light the left of the basket a bit more too... apart from that Nice Apples :D

Ta.
Hi, Mark, Still, good overall lighting (lightpainted?) and nice greens. I'd like even spacing around or perhaphs a tad wider.

Whimsical, well spotted and B&W adds to it. Not overly keen on the composiiton, might prefer a slight crop.

Cheers.

Thanks very much.

Hi
Still nicely lit and good colour but not really doing anything for me, sorry

Whimsical composition is a bit off, could be cropped a lot, but a nice idea by the way which one is you? :D

Thank you.

I don't really get still life and I think it shows.

Hi

curve is a great shot but you need to lose some of the bottom too much black, definitely in need of a crop just my opinion obviously but I think the curve is great, the black area is sort of spoiling it.

Quick Mark - get in and edit some off the bottom before everyone says it!!

You've done really well timing wise - just capturing the last of the blue sky that really sets off the bright curve of the bridge, and the lovely purple lights below.

Hi Mark

the crop version for Curve works wayyyyyyy better....lovely n sharp , smidge of detail in the sky ....top shot mister (y)

oopppss..missed Power.....needs a bit of a crop off the bottom for me , good capture for the theme with the wave coming off the boat & the sail boat to the rhs :)

Last edited:
LOVE Curve (the crop). Top notch (y)

Power I am less keen on. For me it is spoiled by the clipped masts and the big empty foreground. Looks better to me when I scroll it down to lose the bottom third off the screen. :)

Curve I really like, particularly the contrast against the sky and dark foreground.

Have to agree with the last few comments on power. Also I wonder if a graduate blue filter from the top would add a bit more interest to the sky?

Last edited:
Curve (edit) is a cracker, lovely bridge, lovely shot and bang on theme! Nice! (y)

Power - I think less of the buildings on the LHS and more of the boat(s) on the RHS would've done you some favours here! A comparison of engine power v's wind power (galleon) would've worked well with the theme I reckon!

Back