Free upgrade to Windows 10?

I've just had my 'first' issue, I couldn't send mail from Outlook. At first I blamed my own server, done all the patching and made certain it was up-to-date, however I should have practised what I preached and check another device first like my mobile phone. And subconsciously I already did as I email most from there ;) Anyway, I googled it and noticed that lots of people have this issues. It is appearantly something to do with Office and the upgrade leaves/moves some essential files behind.

Relatively simple to restore;
1. Open command prompt or powershell as administrator (right click and choose open as administrator)
2. Type 'sfc /scannow' and hit enter

Wait a little while, restart and voila it is sorted.

With this trickle (?) of glitches I wonder if W10 is phoning home in the background such that over the next few months further updates will "update" the build number such that newer adoptees will not have the same issues especially bearing in mind a goodly number of not too PC savvy folk will be updating their computers.........hopefully issue free.

Possibly the apparent phased rollout is the reason.........the earliest adoptors are in effect RC Final testers ;)

Well it took all day but it's finally installed...and nothing works. Lost my screen calibration so my eyes are now killing after 10 minutes, and every time I try and run stuff I get this message:

View attachment 43220

Need to find how to roll backto 7 now.

Run the commands I listed above 'sfc /scannow' and double check your c++ distributables for installation, that should do the trick.

Just by way of a side note:-

I noticed a couple of new offers in the "Optional updates" in Win Update, these were KB2952664 and 3075851 they are respectively "Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7" and "Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: August 2015"
On the face of related to W10 updating....? But why optional?

PS Talking of optional updates, I am using IE10 and the optional update to IE11 has been sitting there a good while so maybe about time I updated that as well ;)

PPS re the KB2952662 ~ well this was in my Windows Updates dated 28th July that I installed a few days ago and Googling for this the new iteration of it there are various reports of this new one causing issues??? What gives!

Last edited:
As a few days had gone by I tried the media creation tool again and though it still "Something Happened" this time there was an error code

View attachment 43223

Few other features becoming known about that may be interesting

Update Delivery Optimisation
Pulls updates from local PC’s, multiple sources, think torrent type delivery. Caches on the local pc for ‘a short period of time’. Can be turned off
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

Collecting personal data.
In the agreement field everyone clicked without reading to install the software it states:
“Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.”

It uses this to create and advertising ID, for targetted selling.

Again can be disabled or minimised. See
http://www.rt.com/usa/311383-windows-opt-out-privacy/
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4077-sync-settings-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

Windows 10 shares your wifi password with friends
who could then share it with their friends…
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/30/windows_10_wi_fi_sense/

Few other features becoming known about that may be interesting

Update Delivery Optimisation
Pulls updates from local PC’s, multiple sources, think torrent type delivery. Caches on the local pc for ‘a short period of time’. Can be turned off
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

Collecting personal data.
In the agreement field everyone clicked without reading to install the software it states:
“Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.”

It uses this to create and advertising ID, for targetted selling.

Again can be disabled or minimised. See
http://www.rt.com/usa/311383-windows-opt-out-privacy/
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4077-sync-settings-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

Windows 10 shares your wifi password with friends
who could then share it with their friends…
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/30/windows_10_wi_fi_sense/

Those two make sense in the way W10 is advertised on TV, to me such settings need to be disabled by default and if really necessary a nag screen (that itself can be permanently dismissed) asking if you wish to have those functions turned on? But then MS would not have a route to monetise them giving W10 away ;)

Ahh Windows 7, like a warm comfortable blanket....Only took 5 minutes to go back too. Now to get rid of the nag screen in the corner!

Haven't read through thread,but someone has told me which magazine has an article stating its free for twelve months then you have to pay for it or revert back.Anyone know if this is correct ?.

Haven't read through thread,but someone has told me which magazine has an article stating its free for twelve months then you have to pay for it or revert back.Anyone know if this is correct ?.
I saw those reports but they generally date back to January and speculation. MS have stated;
For the first year, it is free to upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10. Microsoft has clarified that “once you upgrade within the first year for free, it’s yours forever at no additional cost.” That means it won’t require a subscription, and no features should be limited down the road.

Bob

I must be one of the lucky ones, had no issues so far with all apps working (Lightroom, Vegas Pro, Reason, Office 2013 etc). Loving the refreshed feel and hybrid start menu. So far i have to say i'm impressed, even Edge felt quick!!

I must be one of the lucky ones, had no issues so far with all apps working (Lightroom, Vegas Pro, Reason, Office 2013 etc). Loving the refreshed feel and hybrid start menu. So far i have to say i'm impressed, even Edge felt quick!!

Justin, a quick question about Lightroom. I'm running 5.7.1 and have noticed a slight response delay when moving the sliders....it seems that the image is updated a fraction of a second behind the movement rather than instant as it was with Win 8.1. Do you see the same? It might be the way that my graphics processor is set up.

Bob

I don't notice that. Is your display set to scale or native resolution?

Took a quick look and attempt to use Edge and an even quicker Edge back to Thunderbird

Took a quick look and attempt to use Edge and an even quicker Edge back to Thunderbird
But edge is a browser and thunderbird is a mail client? And one that doesn't scale well on high resolution screen.

I saw those reports but they generally date back to January and speculation. MS have stated;
For the first year, it is free to upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10. Microsoft has clarified that “once you upgrade within the first year for free, it’s yours forever at no additional cost.” That means it won’t require a subscription, and no features should be limited down the road.

Bob
Thanks for the reply Bob.

But edge is a browser and thunderbird is a mail client? And one that doesn't scale well on high resolution screen.

Yeah, sorry my mistake meant Firefox, Edge looks like its been designed by a work Experiance kid on its day off, what was MicroSoft thinking!!!

Well everything is working well for me, I did the switch from 32 bit Win 8.1 to 64 bit Win 10, it was a bit of a faff but well worth it. I finally have a really quick PC. Lightroom CC is lightning fast after turning off the Graphics Processor Acceleration in the preferences menu.

I'm still not happy with the resolution though and am sure my eyes are starting to ache after looking at the PC for a while. Will see if I can find out anything about that.

Yeah, sorry my mistake meant Firefox, Edge looks like its been designed by a work Experiance kid on its day off, what was MicroSoft thinking!!!
Perhaps it is because I switched from a Mac, I love the minimalistic stylish interface versus those that look like they were 'designed' by a software engineer. In all my years of software development I know thing, designing the UX is best left to the experts ...

Well everything is working well for me, I did the switch from 32 bit Win 8.1 to 64 bit Win 10, it was a bit of a faff but well worth it. I finally have a really quick PC. Lightroom CC is lightning fast after turning off the Graphics Processor Acceleration in the preferences menu.

I'm still not happy with the resolution though and am sure my eyes are starting to ache after looking at the PC for a while. Will see if I can find out anything about that.
What resolution is your screen and what size do you have? When you go to display preferences it should recommend the appropriate scaling for your display. I've got an UHD in my laptop and an external 4K screen, and in Windows 10 you can set the scaling independent for each screen which is fantastic to adapt it to your own preferences.

my daughter upgraded to 10 at weekend on her laptop and everything was fine . today she switched on and it says please install operating system onto your device. Cannot find operating system. I tried the repair discs and it gets to stage of saying do you want to reset to factory settings and then it just sits at o% forever. Any ideas guys

Ahh Windows 7, like a warm comfortable blanket....Only took 5 minutes to go back too. Now to get rid of the nag screen in the corner!
I too might have to go back to that warm comfy blanket. Video is not playing properly and graphics awful, might have a tinker to re adjust things. If not warm comfy blanket at the ready!

Well I thought I would try a fresh install of Windows 10, so far it is slow and laggy. Mail app isn't very responsive and overall the whole thing just feels buggy. I've tried to like it but I'm going back to Windows 7, I can't help feeling that Windows 10 is still in a beta test and that is the only reason it is free.

Really weird how there are such different experiences. I guess I'm getting the 'Apple' experience since I'm using Microsoft reference hardware for Windows 10.

What resolution is your screen and what size do you have? When you go to display preferences it should recommend the appropriate scaling for your display. I've got an UHD in my laptop and an external 4K screen, and in Windows 10 you can set the scaling independent for each screen which is fantastic to adapt it to your own preferences.

It is set to the recommended resolution but everything seems so small. I've just been in the advanced settings and tried increasing font sizes etc.

It is set to the recommended resolution but everything seems so small. I've just been in the advanced settings and tried increasing font sizes etc.
Yes people like different things. Instead of merely increasing the font sizes I would start by increasing the overall scaling. For example I'm running at 150% on my Surface Pro and 125% on my 4K screen.

Would it be fair to say that those having problems are those that are upgrading from W7?

Robin

Not in my case Robin, almost faultless upgrade, just needed a patch for one piece of software :)

I have removed windows 10 it was so slow and graphics were bad, video would not play. Everything just looked awful, and no proper start menu. Plus those silly fat tiles did my head in, it looks so clumsy and dated already. Went back to windows 7 and it looks so crisp and fresh, and very responsive. Proper folders with everything in it's place, and a proper start menu to quickly search :)

Yes people like different things. Instead of merely increasing the font sizes I would start by increasing the overall scaling. For example I'm running at 150% on my Surface Pro and 125% on my 4K screen.

Thanks, I have just done that and think I will stick with it, it's a shame when scaling it you can't choose any number between 100% and 150% instead of the fixed values provided, as I'm sure 115% would be perfect for me.

With the variety of user experiences and possibly background updating I wonder if folk should be posting the build number they are using and whether 32 or 64 bit???

From the fairly small sampling here at TP there is a wide spread of experiences which does not bode well for this early phase of W10 in the wild! As I said in a previous posting I will now wait and see how things are setting down during this year........either that of do a new build when I can justify it and the cost and make that a fresh install.

I have removed windows 10 it was so slow and graphics were bad, video would not play. Everything just looked awful, and no proper start menu. Plus those silly fat tiles did my head in, it looks so clumsy and dated already. Went back to windows 7 and it looks so crisp and fresh, and very responsive. Proper folders with everything in it's place, and a proper start menu to quickly search :)
Out of interest what video doesn't work for you? I've been watching youtube, amazon prime, html5 embedded mp4's without any problems?

With the variety of user experiences and possibly background updating I wonder if folk should be posting the build number they are using and whether 32 or 64 bit???

From the fairly small sampling here at TP there is a wide spread of experiences which does not bode well for this early phase of W10 in the wild! As I said in a previous posting I will now wait and see how things are setting down during this year........either that of do a new build when I can justify it and the cost and make that a fresh install.
Not sure about build number, whatever was released when it became available, upgraded from 8.1 Pro 64 to Windows 10 Pro 64.

Thanks, I have just done that and think I will stick with it, it's a shame when scaling it you can't choose any number between 100% and 150% instead of the fixed values provided, as I'm sure 115% would be perfect for me.
Go to Advanced Display Settings, then Advanced Sizing of text and other items, then in the text you should see a (blue for me) underlined text where it says "set a custom scaling level". The dropdown still have 'presets' but you can change the number to 115% if you like. Following that and applying it you should signout and back in again and you'll have your customer scaling level. :)

Go to Advanced Display Settings, then Advanced Sizing of text and other items, then in the text you should see a (blue for me) underlined text where it says "set a custom scaling level". The dropdown still have 'presets' but you can change the number to 115% if you like. Following that and applying it you should signout and back in again and you'll have your customer scaling level. :)

Brilliant, thank you dejongj :)

Out of interest what video doesn't work for you? I've been watching youtube, amazon prime, html5 embedded mp4's without any problems?
All my own video did not work, MP4 and AVI just locked up also graphics looked awful. Probably may have needing tweaking in settings, but searching via start menu was difficult. Whole resolution was thrown out. The clumsy big tiles are not for me, all the silly news feed streaming in annoyed me. Clicking on the search, just brought up things for me to purchase !

I resolved all this so easy, I just reverted back to 7. Computer is running lovely and smooth, all as was before..Heaves I sigh of relief.

Oh I do like windows 7 :)

All my own video did not work, MP4 and AVI just locked up also graphics looked awful. Probably may have needing tweaking in settings, but searching via start menu was difficult. Whole resolution was thrown out. The clumsy big tiles are not for me, all the silly news feed streaming in annoyed me. Clicking on the search, just brought up things for me to purchase !

I resolved all this so easy, I just reverted back to 7. Computer is running lovely and smooth, all as was before..Heaves I sigh of relief.

Oh I do like windows 7 :)
Oh I love the live tiles, I think they are brilliant.

Back