Free upgrade to Windows 10?

I like some of the features of Windows 10, I just can't deal with all the compromises I'm having to make. I'm using the 64bit version of build 10240.

You can find your build version but pressing the windows key + r then type winver and press enter

"The clumsy big tiles are not for me, all the silly news feed streaming in annoyed me"

If the Tiles are too big right click on it and select resize, Don`t want a Tile Right Click and Unpin or Delete!!!

Tiny bit of effort and you can make it as you want it

Upgrade from win 7 64 bit to 64bit win 10 on desktop pc went smooth as you like, no problems following instructions (Thanks Byker).

I had my rarely used Acer Aspire One 722 which had Linux on it, reformatted and installed 32 bit win 7 so I could upgrade it to win 10, of course I had to install win 7 windows updates SP1 etc first. Selecting all updates ( 2 or 3 hundred) at once to update didn't go well, kept hanging. I selected batches of 20 updates at a time to install, this seemed to work so I could get to the stage where the wee 4 square icon appears in task bar. According to my wife who uses the Notebook mostly she reckons it is a lot slicker with Win 10, cold boot is certainly quicker to startup.

I like some of the features of Windows 10, I just can't deal with all the compromises I'm having to make. I'm using the 64bit version of build 10240.

You can find your build version but pressing the windows key + r then type winver and press enter
Same here, build 10240...Which is the one release last week isn't it...

Same here, build 10240...Which is the one release last week isn't it...

Yes it is, it's very frustrating, I was looking forward to it being an improvement over 7, I quite like 8.1 on my laptop but the more I use 10 the more problems I'm facing. The latest one is the store causing BSOD.

I too might have to go back to that warm comfy blanket. Video is not playing properly and graphics awful, might have a tinker to re adjust things. If not warm comfy blanket at the ready!

I don't know what it was doing with my graphics card but everything was way too blue and far too bright! The software to control the colour profile didn't work! Then there was the fonts ... looked awful and jaggy. I quite like the tiles on my phone (Win 8.1) but as a start menu it just didn't work.

Ironically the oldest software I own which I was most worried about not working, did actually work OK!

So it is currently the same release build on both upgrade of both W7 & W8.1 and new installs so the only variation is the hardware and the old/previous installed drivers.

Bearing in mind the sheer number variations of older hardware 'out there' being upgraded or clean installed it maybe does not bode well for 100% good reception of W10.........apart from of course new systems supplied pre-installed.

I've just got my pop-up telling me my upgrade is ready. Bearing in mind the problems being experienced above, do I go for it or not.....:thinking:

If I was you I'd stick with the 8 years old operating system that looks and feel much more modern :p

Seriously though, like with any major upgrade, ensure you have a recent backup, make a system image, check your registry and cleanup loose ends, apply current patches, and go for it.

I don't know what it was doing with my graphics card but everything was way too blue and far too bright! The software to control the colour profile didn't work! Then there was the fonts ... looked awful and jaggy. I quite like the tiles on my phone (Win 8.1) but as a start menu it just didn't work.
I found it very clumsy to use, and clunky. I am sticking with my very old, but very usable window 7, well it's not broken ( not yet anyway )

If I was you I'd stick with the 8 years old operating system that looks and feel much more modern :p

Seriously though, like with any major upgrade, ensure you have a recent backup, make a system image, check your registry and cleanup loose ends, apply current patches, and go for it.

This is on my 8.1 machine

a week on and I am finding it nice to use both on laptop and 8" tablet... feels much more of an upgrade on tablet, the dedicated tablet mode is very nice.. laptop is nice too everything working nice and slick.. I have just seen the most change on the tablet.

Just updated. Only took about 20 minutes and everything seems fine :)

After a week of usage the only difference I have really noticed has been the removal of those annoying "charms" that used to pop up on w8.1 whenever the mouse was positioned near the bottom right hand corner. The only thing I have done apart from clicking ok, next, etc was to upgrade my nvidia driver to the latest w10 64bit version (v353.62).

I did my SR1 update earlier this evening, all went fine.
So far I have had no major issues from the update. Everything is behaving itself including Photoshop.

Microsoft says it may take weeks for everyone to get it. I only just got my notification last night.

I have just upgraded mine, and its like a crap version of linux.

On the face of it, not much different to windows 8 for me.

Now all I need to do, is remove that annoying windows 10 pop up !

Has anyone removed the windows 10 pop up, if so how?

Last edited:
Built my new rig, installed windows 8.1 (cheaper than buying 10) and as soon as it installed, it gave me the option to upgrade.

And since there was bugger all installed on the machine, it updated pretty much instantly this morning. Now to get CC installed.

I have the message through that it's ready to be installed, can I save the upgrade to do later, I don't want to run it yet. Many thanks in advance I'm no techy

Yes, you'll probably find that it has already been downloaded. If you open up Windows Update there will be a button there saying 'Get Started', so I guess you can do it whenever you choose.

Well I'm back on Windows 7 and everything is quick and responsive again :)

I might try upgrading my Windows 8.1 laptop at some point if I feel brave, maybe...

Now all I need to do, is remove that annoying windows 10 pop up !

Has anyone removed the windows 10 pop up, if so how?

You can hide the icon and stop notifications by going to 'customise' on the system tray menu, you can remove it alltogether by removing one of the updates to Windows 7 from a while back.

You can hide the icon and stop notifications by going to 'customise' on the system tray menu, you can remove it alltogether by removing one of the updates to Windows 7 from a while back.
Ok just done that, thanks for tip :)

Removed the updates, all is back as it was. No windows 10 upgrade in Taskbar :)

Last edited:
That don't work..still see the browser bar when in tablet mode..have looked on windows tips and tricks and it seems that at the moment there is no full screen option when using Edge

Robin
As far as IO have read, full screen will be coming soon, along with chrome/firefox type extension capabilities... hopefully Adblock will be one of the first :)

my daughter upgraded to 10 at weekend on her laptop and everything was fine . today she switched on and it says please install operating system onto your device. Cannot find operating system. I tried the repair discs and it gets to stage of saying do you want to reset to factory settings and then it just sits at o% forever. Any ideas guys

It may be a bit late (sorry) but most likely her hard drive has died, rather than being an issue with W10. Hope she was backed up and her data is safe.

I only see half of the windows icon on the task bar, also only see a bit of the back arrow..any ideas how to put that right?

Robin

Back