weekly Jason's 52 in 2014 - SUPPORT Added - We've made it to the end together :-)

Brilliant shot for nature, love the colours and the matching BG colour, focus on the petals is great and so much detail!

Always good to see a SOOC version, although I think you could have pretty much nailed this shot in camera as tbh the exposure of the original is quite underexposed and you could always play with the WB until you get the colours that you want to achieve - although I do appreciate the work that you have put in PP.

Nontheless that is a great image, one I'd be proud of!

Thanks to everyone for your comments. really appreciate it

Always good to see a SOOC version, although I think you could have pretty much nailed this shot in camera as tbh the exposure of the original is quite underexposed and you could always play with the WB until you get the colours that you want to achieve - although I do appreciate the work that you have put in PP.

I know what you mean. I had to increase exposure of the sooc image by around +1.25
Bit perplexed really as on the camera screen the images looked ok, then when put on to the computer they all looked like a bag of $*it.

Did my best to rescue it for this submission though I am disappointed because I dont strive to be a tog happy to take crap pics in camera with a view to correct in PP.

I know what you mean. I had to increase exposure of the sooc image by around +1.25
Bit perplexed really as on the camera screen the images looked ok, then when put on to the computer they all looked like a bag of $*it.

Did my best to rescue it for this submission though I am disappointed because I dont strive to be a tog happy to take crap pics in camera with a view to correct in PP.

Don't be disappointed mate it's all a learning curve, besides it better to underexposed than overexposed!

You'd probably benefit from tethered shooting so you can see exactly what your shooting on screen. I use it where possible, especially in studio or studio type environments, I even know one guy who uses his iPad on location for it! :eek:

Or theres always bracketing your exposures (y)

Last edited:
stunning orchid shot. everything covered this for me, no crit to give as cant find anything to fault!

You'd probably benefit from tethered shooting so you can see exactly what your shooting on screen. I use it where possible, especially in studio or studio type environments, I even know one guy who uses his iPad on location for it! :eek: Or theres always bracketing your exposures (y)

Good idea...and something to look into....Thanks for the heads up

stunning orchid shot. everything covered this for me, no crit to give as cant find anything to fault!

Thanks mate

Step - I am not going to offer anything as it's not your image.

Nature - is a great take on the theme, love the colour and the detail excellent work.

Thanks Mandy

Hi Jason :)

Nature - That is a lovely image, really like the angle of the flowers coming into the foreground, super colour and the light is picking up wonderful detail - Love It (y)

Thanks for the kine comments DK. much appreciated !

You pulling our leg with the SOOC image this week??

Good job reconstructing the hand, and sharpening the face if you;re not. (y)

Posted image is again really worthy - nice motion blur to imply the movement and nice B&W conversion. Like it. :)

Great shot of the orchid Jason, the bg being a similar colour works really well, focus, dof, (y)

Action ....excellent pp again (y)........I just don't know how you do it :clap:

You pulling our leg with the SOOC image this week??

Good job reconstructing the hand, and sharpening the face if you;re not. (y)

Posted image is again really worthy - nice motion blur to imply the movement and nice B&W conversion. Like it. :)

Lol Graham....that made me smile....pasted in hand from another similiar shot. Cloned in extra space to the left and removed posts and vertical lines in netting which were a bit ditracting......and yup sharped to try and rectify horribly fuzzy face. Thanks for the looking and appreciate your comments as always (y)

Great shot of the orchid Jason, the bg being a similar colour works really well, focus, dof, (y)

Action ....excellent pp again (y)........I just don't know how you do it :clap:

Thanks for the kind words Phil....much appreciated

Last edited:
Hi Jason,
Action... the image fits the theme well, my only problem with it is the pattern on the little mans outfit at first look I thought he had got caught in the net(y)

Thanks Judi....

Action, nicely frozen action and good detail. I'd prefer colours as I suspect he has bright socks on :) Cheers.

Thanks for visiting Andy.....Check out the sooc image....colours were pretty naff so went for b&w? will stop and visit your page soon.....have seen some brilliant submissions from you and keep meaning to stop in and comment (y)

Hi Jason

Step...quite a powerful image , no crit to add

Nature....beautiful , good to see the sooc as well...the color tone works really well & you've caught good detail in the petals..:clap:

Action.......like it in mono , well caught expression , little bit of movement in the hair , sharp...what's not to like (y)

Really nice capture of a lovely scene there Jason. The light and the rays is great.

Like the composition with the path drawing you in.

Wonder if it would be possible to separate the blue of the bluebells from the green of the grass and stems.... Maybe by lightening of the blues?

As Graham said the light and rays are great, the light hitting the leaves gives them an almost butterfly effect.

That's a lovely image Jason (y)..............so much so, converting it to mono doesn't do it any justice at all :)

Action - a really well thought out shot - action hero Spidey in action!

Mono - I'm not usually a fan of b&w conversions of nature-type shots because I like to see their natural colours, but I think this works well with the enhanced sunrays coming through the trees.

MONO ... beautiful ... I think this is a good choice of image for playing b&w conversions, but I bet it's beautiful in colour too.

Hi, have to say I prefer the colour version because of the bluebells but the light is really good and it does work in B+W too

Hi Jason....three to catch up on...
Nature...a smashing shot...he background colour complements it perfectly.....I love orchids and you have certainly captured the beauty of that one.
Action....well done to you on editing that one...it looks great...captures the moment ...and looks like great fun.
Mono....another beauty...the light is magical...it looks like a fairytale.

Hi Jason
Action - good shot for theme - the b&w works. Hand abit funny tho face looks fine
Mono - really good comp. Like the way that the shafts fall at that diag. Stray thin trunk to left is a shame. Had a look at the colour version and that is excellent - one for the wall in my view(y)

Hi Jason :)

Action - Nice sharp capture, action well frozen, my only crit is separation from the background but that's being picky, but after seeing the SOOC, you have worked wonders with it (y)

Mono - Now that sunlight looks very inviting, I know as said but I would love to see the bluebells a bright blue... and the moon on a stick :D

Twisted - Hmmmmmmm :thinking: ... I can picture a stirrer/mixer of some description ??

Nice solid background, bit of an odd shadow/light patch to the base... is it a 3d bulb/lamp ??

Square crop certainly suits it :)

Hi Jason
Twisted - What is it?! It almost looks like something to do with Dove Moisturising Cream! Good black background and well lit, but I haven't a clue what it is. :)

Mono, like it. The B&W works well. Nice detail and the rays if light really add impact.

Twist, what the heck is it?? I do like the square crop because it contrasts well with the circle. Only minor crit is it doesn't seem to be right over the the object.

Cheers.

Back