John's 2010 52, Week 27 Art (July 10th)

Great fun shot, mate. I'm not so sure about the lighting as the blown chess board is a bit off-putting, but the shot itself is from that perspective is an unusual idea.

Nice, and an excellent attempt on controlling the white area... the crop is better but could we see a bit more of the off-board pieces in it... more of a letterbox shaped crop?

Arthur

Great fun shot, mate. I'm not so sure about the lighting as the blown chess board is a bit off-putting, but the shot itself is from that perspective is an unusual idea.

Thanks Dean... My lighting technique still needs work, but understanding is growing... fast.

Nice, and an excellent attempt on controlling the white area... the crop is better but could we see a bit more of the off-board pieces in it... more of a letterbox shaped crop?

Arthur

Thanks Arthur... I'll see what I can do.

Fun shot, very well put together, I do agree with the comment by Louise Knight and try it without Paddington. I like it

John, I like your take on the play theme(y)
Its a fun image, good lighting and I like the colours too.
All round great effort
Iain

Thanks Lee... I'll hold that for a reshoot card.

Thanks very much Ian.

Cheers Rob... now worries ;)

great idea, nicely composed.. I love monkeh.. the light is fab but agree with others, would liked to have seen a bit more of paddington

Thanks very much for the comment Michelle... more or less of Paddington for the reshoot it is ;) maybe both...

your re-edit is better comp wise. Nice idea a few people here went for chess, but this one has 'people' too. Tough call to have Paddington or not?!
For me it doesnt ruin the shot and makes sense to be able to see the opponent ;)

I like this, John, and well played on getting to grips with all the lighting stuff.

I like the humour in it and Monkeh's expression, and I like that the focus is on the king, since he is the relevant piece in this.

Blue Tac's certainly worth a try under the king if you do a reshoot - get some action in there, and all that.

I wonder if a shot from the left hand corner of the board might be worth a try. Then we still see Monkeh's great expression but we also get to see more of his opponent.

Liking your last tighter crop, draws the eyes into the game.

Clever take on the theme...

I spotted it was Paddington... dont know if thats a good thing haha

your re-edit is better comp wise. Nice idea a few people here went for chess, but this one has 'people' too. Tough call to have Paddington or not?!
For me it doesnt ruin the shot and makes sense to be able to see the opponent ;)

Thanks Dade... I'll reshoot when the card comes out.. and play around see what works best with Paddington

Like the humour for week 9 John. I think the monkeh is done for. well done:clap:

Thanks Martin

I like this, John, and well played on getting to grips with all the lighting stuff.

I like the humour in it and Monkeh's expression, and I like that the focus is on the king, since he is the relevant piece in this.

Blue Tac's certainly worth a try under the king if you do a reshoot - get some action in there, and all that.

I wonder if a shot from the left hand corner of the board might be worth a try. Then we still see Monkeh's great expression but we also get to see more of his opponent.

Cheers Rob, the lighting stuff is still getting to grips with, although I think I've found a handle at least ;) (I've found that my 360afd also works as a slave, so that gives me two optical slaves to play with). Bluetack is on the cards for this (as is some invisible tape or thread...). The angle across the board is an interesting idea... I'll keep that in mind too.

Liking your last tighter crop, draws the eyes into the game.

Clever take on the theme...

I spotted it was Paddington... dont know if thats a good thing haha

Cheers Dan... spotting Paddington says something... :LOL:... I think it's a good thing..

I had so many ideas this week, and again, I was foiled by time. But this time it wasn't quite so bad as it has been. My time was taking up with taking pictures and processing them... As you may recall from me People shot, I was shooting a theatrical event... well that was this week... I've spent most of the week processing the images.

It did occur to me I could crowbar in an image I produced last Sunday night, with a bit of a stretch linking to http://www.phys.uwosh.edu/mike/research1.html..

m3-59x215d22f-1.jpg

But, it doesn't really say Chemistry as such. So, during a short few minutes I had, I took three shots to composite. I knew in my head what I wanted to achieve, but what I wanted and my abilities didn't meet.. anywhere... so I've ended up making a Triptych instead.

chemistry1.jpg

It's not what I wanted to achieve and it's not as good as I wanted either, but it'll just have to do. I learnt a fair amount this week, although not specifically related to this, and I'll post up some shots from the theatre at some point. But I did learn some things about the Aperture adjustment brushes.

See this thread for the shots that kept me busy all week.

Last edited:
Nice first image, but not chemistry as you say. Wish the skies looked like that at night to the naked eye.

Second image works well and I like the framing, but it's more graphic image than photograph for me. Sorry :)

Good ones John, Like the framing of the second one

Thanks very much Jon

second fits the theme better I suppose but I like the first one !

Thank you

Nice idea John, i was waiting someone to get the periodic table out

Cheers Chris, I had to crop those elements out of the photos, I couldn't get just those in...

Nice first image, but not chemistry as you say. Wish the skies looked like that at night to the naked eye.

Second image works well and I like the framing, but it's more graphic image than photograph for me. Sorry :)

Cheers Darren... Would be nice wouldn't it, although I'm not sure that little globular cluster would be visible even then, except as maybe a faint splash of light.

No worries Darren... I know it's nowhere near good. But didn't want to not get something...

Play: Yes, I like the crop, but I think you still go in tighter! But I like tight crops! It's still a good, fun shot. :)

Chemistry: I wondered if you'd work a sky shot into Chemistry - and this definitely doesn't disappoint. I'm really in awe of the complicated techniques you employ for these night sky shots, and this is no exception. How can a beautiful, mysterious star be called after a motorway? :D :LOL:

As always - fabulous. :clap::clap::clap:

It looks like our minds were running on similar tracks for your other Chemistry shot - chemical reactions and their results in a tryptych. The difference is yours is beautifully executed and presented. (y) I was just pleased to end up with 3 pics side by side. :LOL:

So definitely not a cop out, John, and in what sounds like an incredibly busy week. I hope the production went well and hope to see some shots as and when. Did you enjoy it?

Jean

Love the stars shot John! But I suppose it is a little crowbarred, shame coz it's great!

Like the clean lines and framing of "salt" but on my screen in looks a tiny bit grainy.

Cheers, Rob

1st is very impressive
2nd fits the theme, I like the composition, the framing and the colours - although it makes my eyes go funny, what's going on with the wording at the bottom ?

Play: Yes, I like the crop, but I think you still go in tighter! But I like tight crops! It's still a good, fun shot. :)

Chemistry: I wondered if you'd work a sky shot into Chemistry - and this definitely doesn't disappoint. I'm really in awe of the complicated techniques you employ for these night sky shots, and this is no exception. How can a beautiful, mysterious star be called after a motorway? :D :LOL:

As always - fabulous. :clap::clap::clap:

It looks like our minds were running on similar tracks for your other Chemistry shot - chemical reactions and their results in a tryptych. The difference is yours is beautifully executed and presented. (y) I was just pleased to end up with 3 pics side by side. :LOL:

So definitely not a cop out, John, and in what sounds like an incredibly busy week. I hope the production went well and hope to see some shots as and when. Did you enjoy it?

Jean

Cheers Jean... I probably could go in close with Play... and that's another option for the reshoot... I think a different lens though. As for the Chemistry sky shot... That's a serious crowbar and was never a serious contender ;) As for Motorway... I think Mr Messier (M) got there first ;) so perhaps he should be glad we named out motorway network after all his things to avoid list. Glad you like it though. As for the actual shot, thank you. We have a periodic table pinned on the wall... don't ask :D so it made sense to make use of it... I did think about Water... but the final picture would be kinda dull.

The production did indeed go well, and I really enjoyed myself. I've posted some pics up, linked to in the week 10 post.

Love the stars shot John! But I suppose it is a little crowbarred, shame coz it's great!

Like the clean lines and framing of "salt" but on my screen in looks a tiny bit grainy.

Cheers, Rob

Cheers Rob, I plated around with the adjustment brushes on Aperture, I may have overdone it a little ;)

1st is very impressive
2nd fits the theme, I like the composition, the framing and the colours - although it makes my eyes go funny, what's going on with the wording at the bottom ?

Cheers Rob... I've no clue on the wording... it looked fine when I created the triptych. I do agree with you though...

I think your star image is great. I wouldn't even know where to start on something like this, but as you say, it's a tad not on theme.

The chemistry idea works for me. I like the coloured element depictions set alongside a b&w of what they combine to create. I like the composition and framing but have to agree with RobC regarding the wording at the bottom.

Cheers Rob... I'll have a look at the wording again... and redo it... it's most odd. I can only think it's come out like that because of some compression issue...

chemistry2.jpg

That should be better.

. As for the Chemistry sky shot... That's a serious crowbar and was never a serious contender ;) Awww - but I like crowbars! :) As for Motorway... I think Mr Messier (M) got there first ;) so perhaps he should be glad we named out motorway network after all his things to avoid list. My deepest apologies to Mr Messier - and our motorways are probably not worthy of his name. :D Glad you like it though. As for the actual shot, thank you. We have a periodic table pinned on the wall... don't ask :D Why? so it made sense to make use of it... I did think about Water... but the final picture would be kinda dull.

The production did indeed go well, and I really enjoyed myself. I've posted some pics up, linked to in the week 10 post. Goody - I'll have a look when I get back to the computer. :)

Jean

Cheers Rob, I plated around with the adjustment brushes on Aperture, I may have overdone it a little ;)

Cheers Rob... I've no clue on the wording... it looked fine when I created the triptych. I do agree with you though...

I'm always in absolute awe of your astro stuff - and this one is no exception.
Maybe a slight crowbar, but chemistry and astronomy are both sciences and there's certainly plenty of chemical activity going on in stars :shrug:

The second shot . . . I'm so relieved that you changed the font on the writing. It was playing havoc with my eyes and now I can actually focus on the images, instead of worrying about my double vision :LOL:
Absolutely love the framing and the colours on the chemical elements work really well together.
I want to know why you have a periodic table on the wall too though.

p.s. I'm glad that the theatre shoot went well. I'll be popping over later to have a look at your shots.

Hi John, I am still playing catch up.

I really like your chess shot but just a bit unsure about the white background.

Your star shots are always amazing and stars are just big chemical reactions, aren't they?

I also like the salt triptych - excellent idea and execution and fits the theme in a more obvious fashion but I am pleased you fixed the text at the bottom!

Jenny

I'm always in absolute awe of your astro stuff - and this one is no exception.
Maybe a slight crowbar, but chemistry and astronomy are both sciences and there's certainly plenty of chemical activity going on in stars :shrug:

The second shot . . . I'm so relieved that you changed the font on the writing. It was playing havoc with my eyes and now I can actually focus on the images, instead of worrying about my double vision :LOL:
Absolutely love the framing and the colours on the chemical elements work really well together.
I want to know why you have a periodic table on the wall too though.

p.s. I'm glad that the theatre shoot went well. I'll be popping over later to have a look at your shots.

Thanks Sarah, I know... but it's a long stretch specifically for the theme. Sorry about the font... I've worked out what happened, although I'm not sure why... I redid the text at some point and made it smaller... this messed up the effects I'd applied (was playing with the font adjustments... :D) Glad it's made it better and you like it. As to why... I'm not 100% sure... it's bright and colourful, and the family like it :thinking:

Hi John, I am still playing catch up.

I really like your chess shot but just a bit unsure about the white background.

Your star shots are always amazing and stars are just big chemical reactions, aren't they?

I also like the salt triptych - excellent idea and execution and fits the theme in a more obvious fashion but I am pleased you fixed the text at the bottom!

Jenny

Thanks for commenting Jenny... You may be right on the white background, I used it to work out how to use the flashes like this, so a bit of experimentation. Probably over did it I guess. Yep, stars are enourmous fusion reactors, so loads of chemical reactions going on there. Thanks.

the triptych looks great.. nicely framed, agree the text is miles better on the edit :)

Thanks Michelle.

Oooo, I didn't realise you did astrological stuff....amazing....an area of photography that I love to look at but would have absolutely no idea how to accomplish!

Nice work with the second shot even if it doesn't have quite the same air of mystery :)

Thanks Sonia... I don't do astrological anything... these are astronomical :D... Gotta say it's not easy, and takes a serious amount of work and kit... why oh why did I pick two hobbies that are so damned expensive :LOL:

I had no idea you were Russell Grant either :eek:

Glad you sorted that font on the triptych :puke:. I'm always impressed by your shots of the night sky so crow bar away:D. The salt fits the theme better and suits the triptych, lucky you had the priodic chart on the wall :thinking:

(y)

Interesting - I really like the idea of the combination of chemicals joining to become a compound - really original shot!

Phil

I had no idea you were Russell Grant either :eek:

:razz: :D

Glad you sorted that font on the triptych :puke:. I'm always impressed by your shots of the night sky so crow bar away:D. The salt fits the theme better and suits the triptych, lucky you had the priodic chart on the wall :thinking:

(y)

Thanks very much Scott... I'm not sure I'll get much opportunity between now and October for any more sky shots... what with the days getting longer, and the clock change approaching rapidly and the utterly carp weather we've been having.. I'll crowbar a few more if there's the chance though :D.. Yeah.. handy isn't it :D

Yeah, so it's a shoehorn on the first, but I really like night sky photos so that's my pick for the week. Top shot :)

Cheers Nick (y)

Interesting - I really like the idea of the combination of chemicals joining to become a compound - really original shot!

Phil

Thanks very much Phil

Back