Keep running away! Kitten's 52 for 2010 = An Explanation

Edit My Images
No
Last edited:
Is this a different take on a snow angel :coat:

Very nice start to a loooooonnng year. :D

it's a very short year compared to a 365 ;D

Sarah, I do a lot of cemetery stuff, I walk my dog there daily, so tend to have a lot of different seasons stuff. I was torn between the one I posted and this one, maybe you'd prefer the second..I think I wobbled though, it was sooooo cold!

4248091152_0835a69cf4_o.jpg

Sarah, I do a lot of cemetery stuff, I walk my dog there daily, so tend to have a lot of different seasons stuff. I was torn between the one I posted and this one, maybe you'd prefer the second..I think I wobbled though, it was sooooo cold!

We have a fantastic cemetery near us that's one of my favourite places to shoot too - although I don't get there as often as I'd like to.

Definitely prefer the composition of the second shot, although I think you're right that the shivers got the better of you - it's not quite as sharp as the first one.

Good spot and good luck, seems most of last years 365ers are doing 52's this year, funny that ;)

Have to agree with Sarah about composition of the second shot. Excellent start to your 52 (y)

So you did! my OH says that we walked past you on the way back with a tripod? I didn't have a tripod but I did have a silly white dog :LOL:

I really like that Kitten, the first one of the two... I like the way the curve points to the block. It also took me a couple of looks to work out what I was looking at, and the contrast between the snow and the stone works really well.

thankyou :) I miss my 365! I just been out taking ice shots & have nowhere to post them. Waaaaaaaah! :p

Ok, I caved, I've started a new thread with some icy pics in. They're also on my flickr page if anyone is interested!

Wow John, what are the chances! I wish I'd said hello now!

Ok, I caved, I've started a new thread with some icy pics in. They're also on my flickr page if anyone is interested!

Wow John, what are the chances! I wish I'd said hello now!

Just taken a look at your flickr (y), if you spot me out and about again say hello . I only live a few mins away from the cemetary and am in there often. Pretty new to photography and mostly do insect macros but this snow has prompted me to explore other areas:)

I will do - I'm in there almost every day walking the pooch (though not in this weather, can't get up the street!) I think I've seen you before when I've had a day off from work - one Monday in Feb last year when it was snowing, I remember trying to see what kind of camera you had without you noticing :LOL:

I will do - I'm in there almost every day walking the pooch (though not in this weather, can't get up the street!) I think I've seen you before when I've had a day off from work - one Monday in Feb last year when it was snowing, I remember trying to see what kind of camera you had without you noticing :LOL:

That would of been my fujifilm s9500 bridge camera, only had dslr last few month, i started photography january last year, am off work this week so have more time :)

Nicely exposed image and the curve of the wing with the snow on it looks great!

The first for me also...nicely seen and nicely framed..I'm a sucker for cemetary shots and this is a good 'un :) Look forward to more in your 52 :) Good start!

Definitely the first one for me, somehow has much more depth than the second, gives me a much better focal point.

Week 2 : "Poem and Poetry"

First the poem, then the pic!

We have a dog, she's very sweet,
Has a curious nose and very cold feet,
Her name is Sally, she knows it well,
And if you're talking about her - she can tell!

A cuddlemonster : she loves a big warm hug
And when she wants one, boy can she bug!
She knows when she's naughty, and cannot be found
She's very invisible when trouble's around

She loves to go 'walkies', that's her favourite word
She wants to chase squirrels, and stare at the birds
She's so full of energy, bouncy and fun
If she'd not come along what would we have done?

A rescue dog, Sally was found on the street,
At just 6 months old, so tiny and sweet
We found her so sad, in a cage all alone
No cuddles, no walkies, no-where to call home

The moment we saw her, we knew it was right,
We asked to adopt her that very night,
Six years ago, she arrived at the door
Of a new home, hers for evermore.
:D

4281983056_edd1768b32_o.jpg

Last edited:
Curves, it's #1 for me. The old stone against the virgin snow is spot on and better proportioned than #2 (y)

Poem, Aaaw, that's one of those happy poems that brings a tear to my eye. She looks gorgeous and the focus is spot on. The only little niggle is the two tone background but I know where animals are concerned they sit or lie why they like and not where you want them too :D

Beautiful poem - almost brought a little tear to my eye.
We've always had rescue dogs and our first ever one was called Sally too.

And she's a beautiful girl to go with the beautiful poem :love:
Photographically, I think you've got her position and the focus on her eyes very well. I would like to see a bit more light on her LHS though and a cleaner background.

Curved - I like both images but prefer the first one because the closeness makes it feel more intimate. I like the snow shroud and the contrast it gives.

Poem - A good match. Focus on the dog's eyes is sharp. A good image but one thing that keeps catching my eye every time I look is the background split.
Perhaps this is accentuated because it happens more or less in the middle of the shot?

unfortunately there's not much you can do to stop the dog sitting *exactly* where she wants to, and I for something like this I prefer a 'truer' photo than one that's been too shopped. Thanks for the comments :D

Bit late, been a bit busy - here's Week 3 : Chopped.

Got myself a haircut :D Don't do self-portraits, so this is the closest I've got so far :p

8508ea25.jpg

Brrrr - that looks cold! I love the curve of the road and the detail in the trees, though I would clone out the telephone line myself. Some might prefer the snow to be a bit lighter (easily done with levels) but I like the effect of approaching dusk.

I hope the snowball didn't come your way :D.

thanks MM :)

Tracer, I kept the telephone line in because it's frosted and covered in snow so looks unusual and is in keeping with the rest of the shot. I left the levels as they are because like the rest of my pics I want you to see what I saw, not what I want you to see - if it's getting dark, it's getting dark in the shot :D

Depends on the purpose of course - portraits for paying clients etc, I'd tidy them up - and as I mentioned with the Sally shot, I know there's lots I could do to change photos and make them 'better', but I want them to be a bit more real than that - I won't add stuff or take it away to make it perfect. I want to show you what I was looking at through the viewfinder, not get the 'perfect' shot for this project. If I missed something, I missed it, and I will try my hardest not to make the same mistake again the next time. I hope that makes sense! Thanks for the lovely comments though.

And yes, I was lucky, I escaped the snowball! :D

Oh no, another 52 I've missed !!

ok, short and sweet

Curved: Nice tones and contrast, lots of curves and an interesting subject.

Poem : Focus on the eye is great, lovely looking dog and a touching poem to go with.

Chopped : Interesting take on the theme, nice eye contact, good lighting and the DOF is spot on.

Street : Love this. I've a thing for dark images (or under exsposed or not bright or whatever you care to call them) The tyre marks lead me nicely into the picture and guess what? There's something going on to hold my attention even longer.

Going to be really interested in your speed submission.

Rob
(subscribed)

Thanks Rob :) I have no idea what speed is going to be, probably just something boring :D

Poem....Always a sucker for a lovely dog shot, just a teeny weeny dark for me.

Chopped....Self portraits, always take a lot of bottle if you don't like to do them :clap:. Chopped hair just sneaks in :D

Street...Very nice snowy street theme, I may have just cloned out the cable at the top.

(y)

Back