Lady Sue's 52 ART AND RELAXATION Page 16

I passed through a village on my travels in Sussex this week and saw this lovely frozen pond and the road curving past it through the village.

Its my first 52. I dont like the shadow on the lake much but couldnt move it.:)

Nice rich colours and I like the contrast of the emptyness on one side of the fence against how busy the other side is,

Phil

Good luck Sue, I think its going to be a great learning curve

excuse the pun? :LOL:

I like it Sue, I like how empty it is, just ashame about the shadow.
I like where the path ends/starts(?) At the bottom right of the shot.
A strong start, well done (y)

Love the colours and (ahem) the juxtaposition between the pond and the street.

I like the idea behind this and it's a nice shot. As far as the theme goes I think you might have enhanced the 'curveyness' of the road by moving right so the fence comes in from bottom left. At the moment it says more 'village scene' or 'frozen' to me than curves. Sorry - I'm starting to sound like a camera club judge.

Good luck with the remaining 51!

Nice rich colours and I like the contrast of the emptyness on one side of the fence against how busy the other side is,

Phil

Thank you. It was a beautiful bright day which helped with the colours.

excuse the pun? :LOL:

I like it Sue, I like how empty it is, just ashame about the shadow.
I like where the path ends/starts(?) At the bottom right of the shot.
A strong start, well done (y)

Thanks. I took lots of this scene and chose this one because I liked where the path started.

Love the colours and (ahem) the juxtaposition between the pond and the street.

Thank you

I like the idea behind this and it's a nice shot. As far as the theme goes I think you might have enhanced the 'curveyness' of the road by moving right so the fence comes in from bottom left. At the moment it says more 'village scene' or 'frozen' to me than curves. Sorry - I'm starting to sound like a camera club judge.

Good luck with the remaining 51!

Thanks. I agree its not as curvy as it might have been.

Thats a good shot in it's own right, as the theme goes composed a little to the right to gain more road could help a bit.

Welcome on board and good luck for the next.......51 :eek: :D

:wave: Good start Sue!

The sky has come out particularly well in that one (y)
As you say it's a shame about the shadow, but I really wonder if you need all of the LHS in shot.
I think that if you cropped out to where the shadow ends it might even emphasise the curve of the road around the pond and then back up the hill.

:agree: good start Sue, I like the image and the colours are great. Excellent Curve. I also think cropping the left hand side would work well.

I have cropped another photo that I took at the same time. Its got rid of the shadow and emphasised the curves I think but I'm not sure I like it as much as a pretty picture.

I havent done this 52 before but I assume its Ok to alter my photo as this is just a challenge and not a competition. Its a good way for me to learn. I am always happy to take advice. Thank you to everyone for their comments.

My second attempt

I much prefer the first one, although you did manage to rid the shadow.
That cropped version looks a little too cramped, and you lose the path starting at the corner. I dont like the curve in this either, doesnt look as 'flowing' (?) as it did in the first.
That green car sticks out too much for me also. And you have lost the beauty of the sky obtained in the first one.

Sorry, I feel like I have just come down on that, think its because I like the first one so much though (y) Well done for trying to take on board feedback and doing something about it though, best way to learn :)

Hope you dont mind. I had a quick play of getting rid of the shadow from your original.
Just shout if you want me to take it down (y)

curvessml_edit.jpg

Like this one ladysue. The edit from mtracerz works well and I think losing the shadow is a winner. Look forward to seeing next weeks :)

The crop works, but it is a little tight on the LHS there. Nice bit of editing. As for posting up multiple edits... it's your project... I did a fair few like that last year after comments.

Thank you. That looks much nicer.

Your welcome, think it looks much nicer without it aswell :) More open, and helps your eye follow the curve in the wall without straying to the shadow in the middle.

Like this one ladysue. The edit from mtracerz works well and I think losing the shadow is a winner. Look forward to seeing next weeks :)
The crop works, but it is a little tight on the LHS there. Nice bit of editing. As for posting up multiple edits... it's your project... I did a fair few like that last year after comments.

And thanks Johns (y)

My teddy bear is looking very old
With her wonky nose and she's going bald
So I bought her an outfit and a matching bonnet
with a turned up rim and a daisy on it.
She's very special you see to me
as we've been together since I was only 3.
She's helped me through illness and all sorts of muddles
and I've worn her out with lots of cuddles.

Poem by me

lovely poem, and photo goes with it well, shame you chopped a tiny bit of it's hat though

lovely poem, and photo goes with it well, shame you chopped a tiny bit of it's hat though

Yes that was silly of me. It was a crop so I could find the original and put it back.:) Thanks for the comment

Well done for the poem - adds to it all.

Re Week 1 - Whats the village called ? Looks nice.

Terran

Thanks. I think the village was Lindfield, Sussex

Hi Sue - I'm only just getting round to comment of some of the 52 threads - it's proving very popular this year. :)

Week 1 Curved: What a beautiful village - and you caught it on a glorious day. The light is lovely and I think you've captured it well. There've been lots of comments about the point of view, and my twopenn'orth would be to suggest moving slightly over to the right to make the most of the 2 rows of white posts either side of the path. They are the strong curves, leading into the road as it winds itself up the hill.

It's only a small niggle, though, and I think the scene was well-spotted. (y)

Week 2 Poetry: Photographer AND Poet! :clap::clap::clap: I love the poem - and teddy sounds very well-loved. I can't choose between the 2 different photos - she looks so sweet in both of them. I think the focus in the second one is spot on - you've concentrated on her face and eyes. Although you've slightly cropped her daisy hat in the first one, I think the background is more in keeping with her natty outfit. :)

Jean

aww I love the bear she is lovely great pic prefer the second one with all of the hat

:clap: You are so creative Sue.

- Poem is spot on and really well written.
- The outfit is fantastic - did you make that for her?
- Photos are both very well taken.

I'm struggling to decide between the two shots. I prefer the background in the first and the focus seems to be sharper, but I'm not sure if it's slightly overexposed. I know this monitor tends to be a bit bright, so it's hard for me to tell.

Second one slightly edges it on composition though - you've got all of her hat in frame.

TBH I think they both work well, and she's an adorable bear - obviously much loved too.

Hi Sue - I'm only just getting round to comment of some of the 52 threads - it's proving very popular this year. :)

Week 1 Curved: What a beautiful village - and you caught it on a glorious day. The light is lovely and I think you've captured it well. There've been lots of comments about the point of view, and my twopenn'orth would be to suggest moving slightly over to the right to make the most of the 2 rows of white posts either side of the path. They are the strong curves, leading into the road as it winds itself up the hill.

It's only a small niggle, though, and I think the scene was well-spotted. (y)

Week 2 Poetry: Photographer AND Poet! :clap::clap::clap: I love the poem - and teddy sounds very well-loved. I can't choose between the 2 different photos - she looks so sweet in both of them. I think the focus in the second one is spot on - you've concentrated on her face and eyes. Although you've slightly cropped her daisy hat in the first one, I think the background is more in keeping with her natty outfit. :)

Jean

Thank you Jean.I like the second one best because there is more contrast but I thought the wicker chair suited her.

aww I love the bear she is lovely great pic prefer the second one with all of the hat

Thanks.

:clap: You are so creative Sue.

- Poem is spot on and really well written.
- The outfit is fantastic - did you make that for her?
- Photos are both very well taken.

I'm struggling to decide between the two shots. I prefer the background in the first and the focus seems to be sharper, but I'm not sure if it's slightly overexposed. I know this monitor tends to be a bit bright, so it's hard for me to tell.

Second one slightly edges it on composition though - you've got all of her hat in frame.

TBH I think they both work well, and she's an adorable bear - obviously much loved too.

Thank you Sarah. I dont usually take indoor photos because I dont have any lighting equipment but I moved a standard lamp to get another source of light and used the camera's own flash.I'm glad you like my old bear.

Hi Sue,

For me the 2nd bear pic suits the theme of the poem better, with the slightly more subdued colours. The tones in the 2nd pic give it a more aged look.

Keep up the good work.

Ian

And I meant to say I think your signature message is fantastic!

Well done on the poem & I think it works very well with the shot. No2 just has it for me.(y)

Excellent Sue, both on the Poem and the shot to go with it. I prefer the background in the first, but the bear in the second, mainly due to the extra bit of hat... As others have said though, both shots work well.

Really like week 1, i have to agree with the others prefer the background on the first bear but the picture of the bear in the second shot.

I think my little girls bear is going to look like that in a few years

Not a very good quality photo. I know the light doesnt look right. I am not used to taking pictures indoors and dont have any external flash but I would welcome any comments and criticism.

Last edited:
Not really C&C but I now wanna eat jelly babies :)

im loving it, you know where you gone wrong with the lighting so no need to say any more! (y) good take on it!

Back