Live View - I'll hold my hand up

whitewash

Fishy Fingers
Edit My Images
Yes
Right I need to admit this, when SLR cameras started to get Liveview systems on them I was one of the people that just thought 'pointless ill never use that' and ive always maintained that whilst it wasnt for me, it had its uses.

well now ive got a camera with Liveview on it.....

and i have to say that last weekend i was using it quite a bit whilst taking my waterfall shots, and it was hella useful :) It even had its uses that my sister was interested in what i was doing and i could easily show her what i was doing on the back of the camera, It even came in handy when i couldnt find how to lock the mirror up on the camera so i used liveview to do it for me :)

just admitting the error of my ways!

Oh god no!!!! Wait for the old gaurd to show up now shouting about live view and video and face detection (ok that is a bit of a gimmick). I think live vew is good, I use it quite a bit. FOr macro is is east for manual focus. For landscapes its handy if our using ND filters and have the view finder covered up you dont have to keep takign the cover off and on. For general walkablout snapping I agree its pretty useless but I dont think thats what it was designed for, its a useful addition IMO.

live view is a brilliant little device, on my Sony a300 it has helped me so much when shooting products because I can sit on a chair/stool and have live view on instead of crouching down to look through the viewfinder. It's also excellent when you want to adjust white balance.

live view is a brilliant little device, on my Sony a300 it has helped me so much when shooting products because I can sit on a chair/stool and have live view on instead of crouching down to look through the viewfinder. It's also excellent when you want to adjust white balance.

I use it for product photography too, it allows me to see 100% of the frame, meaning more accurate shots, however I find it only useful with the camera on a tripod. :)

I was only thinking earlier that i might try live view for the mirror lock side of things when i try my new tripod out tonight.......... but don't tell anyone:cautious:

thats a good point, it could also be useful for light trails

I've found it useful for taking shots above my head, it takes away the guesswork involved on my old SLR. It's also useful for taking shots very low down as well. I suspect serious muscle strain ensuing if I tried to use it to shoot like a compact though, trying to hold a D700 and 28-70 at arms length for more than 2 seconds would probably result in a trip to the physio!:D

I've found it useful for taking shots above my head, it takes away the guesswork involved on my old SLR. It's also useful for taking shots very low down as well. I suspect serious muscle strain ensuing if I tried to use it to shoot like a compact though, trying to hold a D700 and 28-70 at arms length for more than 2 seconds would probably result in a trip to the physio!:D

or a 600mm Prime, those things are huge :D

I've used the liveview on my 450D for a number of reasons. One is for when I need to be taller but don't have ladders, and I've done this with my 70-200 f2.8 attached fairly well. Also, my Sigma 10-20 doesn't focus as well on normal phase-detect AF for some reason, but liveview it's much better.

I also find it good for tripod work, especially if you have a filter or two stuck on the lens, and it's nice to know your focus is spot on when you're lining up a crucial shot too.

Right I need to admit this, when SLR cameras started to get Liveview systems on them I was one of the people that just thought 'pointless ill never use that' and ive always maintained that whilst it wasnt for me, it had its uses.

well now ive got a camera with Liveview on it.....

and i have to say that last weekend i was using it quite a bit whilst taking my waterfall shots, and it was hella useful :) It even had its uses that my sister was interested in what i was doing and i could easily show her what i was doing on the back of the camera, It even came in handy when i couldnt find how to lock the mirror up on the camera so i used liveview to do it for me :)

just admitting the error of my ways!

It's even more useful with an articulated screen. :)

I just happened to take this picture today and thought it relevant :D

4840346801_4ec7eb36f4_z.jpg

For those times when you don't want a muddy face looking through the view finder.

Last edited:
I just happened to take this picture today and thought it relevant :D

4840346801_4ec7eb36f4_z.jpg

For those times when you don't want a muddy face looking through the view finder.

is it me, or is the camera upside down? :D

Confession time:

Back in 2004 I had a Konica Minolta A200 bridge camera. It was my first step into more serious photography. This camera featured live view on the LCD display and a flip/tilt screen. When I bought the D200 in 2007 I (wrongly) assumed that since my comparatively cheap A200 had live view all DSLRs must do too. Barely gave it a second though. On getting the D200 I pressed every button and then button combinations possible trying to find out how to turn on live view. Having no luck I decide to dine with the devil and read the dreaded Nikon manual. You guessed it, the D200 doesn't have live view :(. It's the one and only feature of that camera I've really missed and a major feature I'm looking forward to getting back once upgrade time comes again. On the plus side I've had 3+ years looking at a real view finder not a rubbish low resolution electronic one which has been a blessing!

Found it invaluable when we had a Fuji bridge camera with the fold out viewer. Perfect for taking detail shots of my sons large scale jet aeroplane for a magazine.
Horses for courses. I wish my D300 had this facility although it would rarely get used I think.

Great for macro. Let the camera auto focus in live view, zoom in using the buttons on the back and see how far out the focus really is. Then adjust manually on the lens.

The other thing it's really useful for is framing night time long exposures with ND filters on.

On my D700 if I look through the viewfinder I can't see a single thing - pitch black.

Turn on live view and I guess it works at high ISO and voila - I can suddenly see as if it's daylight (albeit slightly noisy).

i find the liveview the best way for manual focusing and use it pretty much all the time when i dont mind the battery being drained.

It's even more useful with an articulated screen. :)

I think it can ONLY be useful with such a screen but since my D300 doesn't have one I think Live-view is pants :D

I have tried it several times, usually when bored, and it's just a complete waste of time for me :shake:

DD

I'm not trying to be a brand basher but I think that Sony has the best live view system available and it would be unbeatable if Sony made a proper articulated screen such as the D5000 compared to Sonys decent tilt-able screen.

How does live view differ on the two brands? (Not defending Nikon, just genuinely interested)

How does live view differ on the two brands? (Not defending Nikon, just genuinely interested)

differ between Sony and Nikon?

Sony has a different based live view system in which utilises two sensors so when auto focusing the mirror doesn't have to flip back up to focus meaning quicker and hassle free live view. Nikon uses a typical live view system that only uses the normal camera sensor which means slower autofocus and other problems when in live view.

I'm not trying to be a brand basher but I think that Sony has the best live view system available and it would be unbeatable if Sony made a proper articulated screen such as the D5000 compared to Sonys decent tilt-able screen.

I agree, Sony's live view is the best on the market, beating even Canon and Nikon. I have an a330 and sometimes wish I had a fully articulated LCD instead of the restricted one it come with. But the screen it comes with is still really good.

But, use a decent lens on the D5k, such as the 18-70 AFs or 70-300 VR, and I think its better than my brothers Alpha 300. For a start it is silent, and it is more accurate - you can move the point almost anywhere. I'd say speed wise it almost catches up to the A300, but its accuracy and usability betters the Alpha too! :D

Yep, I've had live view with an articulated screen for several years on my DSLR and was shouted down when I mentioned about how good it was. It is still good now. It's always the same... people will shout at and berate what's not on their range of cameras - until of course, it finds its way onto their range, after which its awesome.

Always the same.

Yep, I've had live view with an articulated screen for several years on my DSLR and was shouted down when I mentioned about how good it was. It is still good now. It's always the same... people will shout at and berate what's not on their range of cameras - until of course, it finds its way onto their range, after which its awesome.

Always the same.

Don't worry, John, live view may not be unique to our brand any more but at least we don't get dust bunnies. :D

Don't worry, John, live view may not be unique to our brand any more but at least we don't get dust bunnies. :D

Someone should tell my E3 that :thumbsdown:
Even after Oly service cleaned it it still has one stubborn one.

The articulated live view gets used lots in churches/cathedrals where certain parts always seem to be roped off to the public. Rather than the aim round the corner and hope like I used to do I can now go at arms length with the LCD at 90 degrees and compose the shot as I like - arm strength withstanding :)

Someone should tell my E3 that :thumbsdown:
Even after Oly service cleaned it it still has one stubborn one.

The articulated live view gets used lots in churches/cathedrals where certain parts always seem to be roped off to the public. Rather than the aim round the corner and hope like I used to do I can now go at arms length with the LCD at 90 degrees and compose the shot as I like - arm strength withstanding :)

Seems you've been unlucky! Actually, your sensor was probably OK until Oly service dept got their hands on it. :LOL:

When seeing round corners in churches it might be worth mounting the camera on a monopod to give your arms extra reach, then firing the shutter with the remote. :)

Back