Namllihs' 52 (Art.)

I've skipped quickly over week 16 because I haven't done mine yet - or even decided what to do!:eek:

Week 15, Single: I agree with John, the first shot was technically fine but a bit bland, whereas the second one has loads of impact. There's texture, detail, contrast (a 'good' label, from a togging point of view, no comment on the record itself :D ) and a strong graphic quality which I like. This one definitely gets my (y)

Jean

Agree with Jean, the second shot of single really give the picture so much more interest, great work (y)

A ice take on stare and I think it's going to be different than most this week as it is nicely almost candid and unplanned, well done!

Like the close of of the single in shot #2 Steve.

Stare is good - could be quite unique this week - seems he had his eye on you there!

That's a bloody good stare! He was probably wondering if you had a drink for him. ;)

Excellent take on Shoot! Well pp'd :)

Your 2nd Single shot is spot on......I too have lots of records but no player :(

Stare amuses me :) very well captured but I'd love to know what he was thinking!

Thanks Sonia, I too would like to know what he was thinking.:)

I've skipped quickly over week 16 because I haven't done mine yet - or even decided what to do!:eek:

Week 15, Single: I agree with John, the first shot was technically fine but a bit bland, whereas the second one has loads of impact. There's texture, detail, contrast (a 'good' label, from a togging point of view, no comment on the record itself :D ) and a strong graphic quality which I like. This one definitely gets my (y)

Jean
Cheers Jean, I agree the first shot definately lackd something, the 2nd shot is not quite what I was after but I think it is a lot better than the first.

Agree with Jean, the second shot of single really give the picture so much more interest, great work (y)

A ice take on stare and I think it's going to be different than most this week as it is nicely almost candid and unplanned, well done!

I was a bit suprised with the stare I got as I don't think I was doing anything wrong, probably caught him on a bad day.:)

Like the close of of the single in shot #2 Steve.

Stare is good - could be quite unique this week - seems he had his eye on you there!
I wonder if I upset him in a previuos life.;)

That's a bloody good stare! He was probably wondering if you had a drink for him. ;)

Cheers Dean,
I took about 450 shots from that spot and in 449 of them the competitors either smiled and waved or just got on with running, this guy seemed really miffed and this was only my second shot in the event.

Hi Steve,

I really like your second single shot. Just wondering what possessed you to buy a Pet Clark record :D

The stare shot is great. I love his expression. You have captured this really well. Just a bit of a pity about the car in the background.

Jenny

Last edited:
Thanks Jenny, I was 10 when I bought my first ever single, Downtown and I've always had a soft spot for Petula, great singer.

Reshoot of single is much, much better than the original (y)

Stare : That's just a bit odd. He doesn't look happy with you at all does he? I'd have thought they were used to having lots of people shooting them as they ran past. :shrug: It gave you a shot for this week's theme though.

Nicely captured and perfect DoF for the image.
It's a shame about the car in the background, but really not much you could do about that.
And I really like the way that you've just caught the guy behind him checking his watch (y)

Have to say I do like that expression on Stare. Nice, sharp and well composed.

Good stuff!

Ian.

Cheers, Ian & Sarah.
This weeks theme had me coming up with a multitude of ideas but I settled for this one.

Peace comes at a price.

Peace.jpg

Very poignant, Steve. I really like it. I like the DOF and the way you can see the other graves in the background. I find the leaves on the right just a bit distracting and a small thing - the gravestone is not quite vertical with respect to the edge of the photo. Maybe rotate left by 1 degree?

Well done for an excellent take on the theme.

Jenny

I absolutely agree with Jenny on this.

Very poignant and beautifully composed. Just the right DoF for what you set out to do.
It's unusual to see a cemetery shot in colour, but it's worked really well here. The flowers break up all the green and white and add some nice depth - it would have been such a shame to lose that in B&W.

The spiky leaves on the right don't actually bother me that much - although if you had the patience I think you could lose them with a bit of careful cloning.
I would like to see it rotated a bit though - Just to make the RHS of the stone align with the frame.

Peace does indeed come at a price.
As the others have said, DOF is spot on.

Thank you Jennyb, Sarah and Sawman. The rotated version is now up and I will endeavour to clone the leaves when I get a chance.

A beautiful, poignant image with spot-on DOF. Just to be different I like the spiky leaves - to me they seem add to the feeling that peace comes at a terrible price.

Stare: He doesn't look a very happy bunny - perhaps 2nd place ws the problem! :D A good candid take on the theme, though. (y)

Peace: Very peaceful, and a poingant reminder that peace is not something we should take for granted. An extra touch of poingancy - tomorrow will be the anniversary of this soldier's death, and I wonder if there is somebody, somewhere remembering him.

Jean

Is this an edited version then that's up now?

It looks fine to me. Nice lighting, composition and lovely and sharp. I didn't notice the spiky twigs to be honest until they were mentioned.

For me though, it's the poignant "on-themeness" that wins out here. The composition is really strong, and the detail is there where it needs to be.

(y)

Ian.

Stare: He doesn't look a very happy bunny - perhaps 2nd place ws the problem! :D A good candid take on the theme, though. (y)

Peace: Very peaceful, and a poingant reminder that peace is not something we should take for granted. An extra touch of poingancy - tomorrow will be the anniversary of this soldier's death, and I wonder if there is somebody, somewhere remembering him.

Jean
Cheerrs Jean. I hadn't noticed the date, but yes it does make you wonder.

Is this an edited version then that's up now?

It looks fine to me. Nice lighting, composition and lovely and sharp. I didn't notice the spiky twigs to be honest until they were mentioned.

For me though, it's the poignant "on-themeness" that wins out here. The composition is really strong, and the detail is there where it needs to be.

(y)

Ian.
Thanks Ian, yes this was rotated 0.78 degrees CCW and reuploaded.

Steve, that's a lovely shot for Peace, and very poignant too. I think it's spot on.

ahh, was thinking 'it looks perfectly straight to me' :)

fab DOF on this and perfect for the theme, very thought provoking and do hope someone was remembering him!

oh, love the reshoot for single too.. far more impact than the original

Thank you John & Michelle.

I racked my brain for a different take on indulgence, but could not come up with a single , decent idea. So i opted for 'Close'

Close.
Close.jpg

Brilliant. Very amusing take on the theme and well done. You've paid attention to the background and it's really brought the subject to the fore of the frame.

The only really minor thing for me is the light reflection on the black head. It's a little distracting. Was it a flash gun or a lamp of some sort?

Ian.

A really unique take on close and fits the theme on more ways than one (y)

Background is spot on and I like the touch of humour in it.
Lighting, colour, sharpness all work well - reflections on the hair are just very slightly distracting, but certainly don't spoil the shot in any way.

:D... a very different take on close... it fits, as Sarah, says in several ways ;)

Agree with the comments that it works well for the theme and that the colours are really nice and rich.

Just wonder if the lighting is maybe too straight on. The only shadow is just sticking out slightly from the head on the right. If the light was at more of an angle then the reflection would be less central and you would add some depth with the shadows stretching out behind

Thank you all for your comments, as ever they are appreciated.
I had a great idea for Ingredients which involved a circular saw, but was unable to get the shot as I have been in Madrid for the last week, maybe when there is a reshoot I will get it done.
So I went for the easy option with ingredients.
Ingredients.jpg

You have managed the lighting well, but I think I would prefer more DOF - not sure on that. I also feel that here for once the subject should be dead centre.

I'm intrigued by the circular saw - it sounds a bit alarming!

Thanks Tracer, it was a bit of a rush shot after my break, but all observations taken on board (y).

Stop taking photographs Grandad

My Grandaughter Naomi was getting fed up with me taking photo's of her.
Stop.jpg

Nice shot Steve. One to laugh about when she's 18. I like the sun illumination on her fingers. It gives it a real summery feel. The angel(?) wings also tell a story. A nice one for the album there.

Ian.

I'm intrigued by this circular saw idea for ingredients . . . I'm secretly hoping for another reshoot week, so that we can get to see what this is all about :D

Stop is a lovely image. A real Summery feel with the fairy wings and sun hat. It's spot on for the theme and it looks totally natural and uncontrived.
A definite keeper for when Naomi is older.

Ingredients, I think that works... it's well lit and on theme... I'm intrigued by what you were thinking for ingredients with a circular saw, I can't decide whether we should be scared or not :LOL:...

Stop... spot on (y) Fits the theme perfectly. I get this from my family all the time, and don't take that many of them.

Cute. Love the fact she's a little fairy with her wings. Looks like she's throwing fairy dust at you!

Nice take on a common version of the theme, the DoF works really well and having a little one doing the pose is cool, like the title you've given it.

Dan

Back