NickDs 52 for 2022 - Week 52 - Showcase.

Two out of three in there... I'm honestly not sure I've ever eaten a Yam, or If I'd recognise one if I did. I must look into it.
Truth be told, I can hardly tell the difference between them. I often have to take the grocers word that what I'm buying is a yam or a sweet potato...

That certainly screams autumn and looks yummy. The reflections make for a really pleasing and warm feel to the shot.

I meant to add...

I like the image, I think the pop of orange definitely works against the cooler steel, but ...

Just in case you thought I didn't like it at all.

Thanks!
I'm grateful for your input, you were spot on with your comments.

Truth be told, I can hardly tell the difference between them. I often have to take the grocers word that what I'm buying is a yam or a sweet potato...

I'll definitely have to give them a go if they're similar to sweet potatoes.

That certainly screams autumn and looks yummy. The reflections make for a really pleasing and warm feel to the shot.

Cheers!
It was the idea of warmth against the cold that I hoped it would get across.

Week 45 - Snappers Choice.

A horrible week for photography around these parts, barely any light, and just dull wet and grey. I saw this while having a bit of a recce for the squirrels and the birds, and caught it in a brief moment of sunshine. I liked the colours and the light.

Wet Washday by Nick, on Flickr

Works well Nick. The colours of the pegs nice and bright and the light in the raindrops captured nicely and good blurred background.

Works well Nick. The colours of the pegs nice and bright and the light in the raindrops captured nicely and good blurred background.

Thanks!
In a week that was mostly dull and grey, it was the brief moment of light and colour that sent me running for the camera.

Beautiful image Nick, the colours of the clothes pegs compliment the colours of the bokeh. And I love how the shapes of the water droplets mirror the bokeh as well.

Simple shot that works well, OOF background, the colours and raindrops.

Pete

Thanks!
Sometimes you just have to take whatever shot is presented to you, and it works out ok.

I agree, fab colours and light, and I love the sparkly rain drops.

Cheers!
For a shot of nothing I'm quite pleased with it.

Beautiful image Nick, the colours of the clothes pegs compliment the colours of the bokeh. And I love how the shapes of the water droplets mirror the bokeh as well.

Thank You!
Sometimes even crap weather and light work out ok.

Week 46 - Destruction + Tech - Leading Lines.

Out and about on my lunchbreak I came across this rusting section of boat on the Thames. I've no idea what it's doing there, who put it there, and why it was cut up, but I figured that between it being cut up and what nature is doing to it now, it fits the bill... well it's definitely not much use for it's intended purpose anymore.

Bit Of Boat by Nick, on Flickr

Snappers Choice. Very well spotted and a really pleasing image. Lovely the colours and water drops.
Destruction: That is a really interesting shot... how odd!

Fits the theme well. But I can't help wondering why it is still afloat??? Is it on a barge just below the surface?

Thanks!
I honestly have no idea. I think it might be bolted to a fixed platform, as it doesn't seem to move at all.

Wow! That's an interesting shot Nick!

Cheers!
It's a bit of an oddity. Maybe it was put there so people would wonder why.

How curious! Fits the theme well. Good spot.

Thank you!
I've walked past it a few times, and I still have no idea what it's all about. You'd think there would be a plaque of something. Either way, I was stuck for a shot, so I'm glad it's there.

Great eye Nick, maybe it's an urban art statement!

Thanks!
I guess so... but I've no idea what that statement is.

Snappers Choice. Very well spotted and a really pleasing image. Lovely the colours and water drops.
Destruction: That is a really interesting shot... how odd!

Cheers!
It is an interesting object close up, I did try to take some detail shots of the decay, but I felt the whole of it worked better for the theme.

Week 47 - Ornamental.

I've always wondered about this...

Right, we have a very tall instrument, lets put a lovely, ornate scroll right at the top... on the bit that's going to get bashed against ceilings, door frames, etc, all the time.

Scroll by Nick, on Flickr

Perfect for the theme. Made me smile. I've bashed the end of my bass guitar a few times too and it's not nearly as big.

I like the composition - my eye follows the spiral right to the centre.

Looks like you have taken good care of this particular ornamental object.
Nice clear shot but the lights at the top are a little distracting.

Perfect for the theme. Made me smile. I've bashed the end of my bass guitar a few times too and it's not nearly as big.

I like the composition - my eye follows the spiral right to the centre.

Thanks!
Headstock dings are just a sad fact of life... except for on my headless bass, obviously!
The subject pretty much creates it's own composition here. I think it's something about spirals that naturally leads the eye.

Looks like you have taken good care of this particular ornamental object.
Nice clear shot but the lights at the top are a little distracting.

Cheers!
I do try to be careful with it. We have very low ceilings, so I put an old sock on the scroll when I'm moving it around.
I put the lights on deliberately, as I felt they added something, and made it more than 'just' the scroll. Maybe they are a bit much.

Thats a very nicely composed and shot imageNick, and perfect for the theme

Thats a very nicely composed and shot imageNick, and perfect for the theme

Thanks!
It was the first thing that came to mind. Finding clear space to shoot it in was the hardest bit.

A lovely shot Nick, you could use it in the current theme as well.

Week 48 - Curves.

I liked the contrast of the hard curves of the bike racks and the gentle curves in the canopy above. I was waiting for the figure in the distance to get a little closer, but they stopped at the cash machine, so it is what it is.

Curves by Nick, on Flickr

Ornament: Beautiful textures and colour. I like the compostion with the inclusion of the lights.
Curves: Works really well in mono. Simple but very effective shot.

Curves captured nicely here. I like the focus on the first bar and the blurring of the others that nicely softens the overall image.

Ornament: Beautiful textures and colour. I like the compostion with the inclusion of the lights.
Curves: Works really well in mono. Simple but very effective shot.

Thanks!
I was kinda forced into mono. For the most part, the tones and the light were semi-mono anyway, but there's a big square building at the back that's finished in what could only be described as rusty cladding. It really drew the eye.

Curves captured nicely here. I like the focus on the first bar and the blurring of the others that nicely softens the overall image.

Cheers!
It just felt like a shallow DOF shot from the start.

Great shot Nick, those pesky pedestrians never cooperate with our creative visions!

I like the depth of field and mono presentation. As for the person - pah - who needs cash these days? How inconsiderate of them.

Thanks!
I know.... right... that's soooo pre-pandemic!

Great shot Nick, those pesky pedestrians never cooperate with our creative visions!

Cheers!
In a way that's what I love about street photography. On any given day you'll take home what the street wants you to take home.

Week 49 - Tool.

This one wasn't really staged, well I moved it a little. It was left on the counter after a family dinner, hard lit by the cupboard underlighting, I liked the scene, so I left it and recreated the shot later (basically I put the lights back on).

A Tool For Winter by Nick, on Flickr

The lighting and the B/W work well together.
Another Catena malbec lover I see.

Nice one Nick - in fact - it's a corker! :D

My kind of tool! And my kind of strong graphic shot too.

Thanks!
A humble tool, but really frustrating when you can't find it!

The lighting and the B/W work well together.
Another Catena malbec lover I see.

Cheers!
My partner is Argentinian, so I don't have much of a choice... we're a Malbec house!

Nice and simple looking photo Nick, the B&W and shadows work really well.

Thank you!
There's not much to it, but that's how I saw it, and it works ok. The mono exaggerates the impression it gave me.

Nice one Nick - in fact - it's a corker! :D

Thanks!
I'll let you get away with that one seeing as it's nearly Christmas! :ROFLMAO:

Love the harsh lighting in this picture it works really well!

Cheers!
That was just the underlighting in an otherwise shadowy kitchen.

Really nice image Nick.

Thank you!
I think its simplicity helps.

Back