Nikon D800......

Anyone else found if you turn off the custom setting A3 : Focus tracking with Lock-on helps the autofocus speed improve? Compared to the default setting which slows it down, I turned it off the other day and found for Birds in flight it really helped lock focus better and improves the hit rate

Yep, I've got mine set to Off and I feel that it gives me a better catch rate :)

Anyone on here used 5d3? What are your thoughts if you have?
Am toying with an idea to go back to canon...

The D800 was the reason I bought a mk3. Dreadful AF. Only used it for about 10% of my wedding shots

Anyone else found if you turn off the custom setting A3 : Focus tracking with Lock-on helps the autofocus speed improve? Compared to the default setting which slows it down, I turned it off the other day and found for Birds in flight it really helped lock focus better and improves the hit rate
Me too. Still prefer the FPS of my D300 for sports, but I have shot tennis with my D800 and have A3 set to off for that. I guess if you only have one subject to track and nothing that can get in the way then it's the way to go.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for advice on the D800 and battery grip, do you use AA batteries instead of another en-el15 battery? By looking at the manual page 104 it seems frame rate increases from 5 fps to 6 fps. Is there a real life increase?

Can anyone point me in the right direction for advice on the D800 and battery grip, do you use AA batteries instead of another en-el15 battery? By looking at the manual page 104 it seems frame rate increases from 5 fps to 6 fps. Is there a real life increase?
The grip doesnt increase anything regarding FPS as such, the FPS increase is gained by using DX crop mode which gives you 5fps and 6fps with the grip fitted in DX mode which knocks you down to a 15mp image size

In short, you need to use DX crop mode with or without the grip for faster fps

Last edited:
The grip doesnt increase anything regarding FPS as such, the FPS increase is gained by using DX crop mode which gives you 5fps and 6fps with the grip fitted in DX mode which knocks you down to a 15mp image size

In short, you need to use DX crop mode with or without the grip for faster fps

Thanks Gary, after reading page 104 of the manual again I've noticed the bit about fx mode being maximum 4 fps. Why they hid this info in point 1 below the table only they know. It does seem there are too many variables required to get a frame rate between 4-6 fps, although 4 fps was something I was aware of before purchasing the camera.

Last edited:
a bit late to the party but having only recently aquired my D800 I have just updated the firmware so as to assign the record button to ISO.
I have read that some are having problems with 3rd party grips after update of firmware. Can anyone tell me what grip they have if it is still working after the update.
Roy

a bit late to the party but having only recently aquired my D800 I have just updated the firmware so as to assign the record button to ISO.
I have read that some are having problems with 3rd party grips after update of firmware. Can anyone tell me what grip they have if it is still working after the update.
Roy

Roy, I use "Vertax" grips from (Pixel) with my D800 cameras and genuine Nikon batteries and all work perfectly.

A member of my staff uses the same grips with his D800 cameras but non genuine Nikon batteries and they do not work when using the grip. If he puts my batteries in his units all is fine, if I put his batteries in my units all is not fine.

I obviously do not know if anyone else has experienced the same problem.

Hope this helps.,

George.

Thanks George, will look into getting one. I noticed on eBay a sale of grip with 2x " decoded batteries" and thought it was a bit iffy.

Anyone on here used 5d3? What are your thoughts if you have?
Am toying with an idea to go back to canon...

Impossible to answer as it depends what you need. I've used both. Prefer the D800 as the image quality is higher, and has more dynamic range. However, others in here clearly have different requirements. I often don't even use AF and when I do, I'm only using single servo with one AF target for portraits. Any camera is good enough for that.

I do, still a great camera. Bit of an odd thing is happening to mine though, it is draining full charged batteries when switched off.

Can't believe theres been no posted on here since October! Does anyone still have a D800? Lol
Yeah,mine is fine, still working well and still a great camera.

Can't believe theres been no posted on here since October! Does anyone still have a D800? Lol

Been posting shots in other parts of TP such as Macro/Close Up.(y)

George.

Do you use a generic battery grip with the camera? I had that issue with a D300 in the past with a Meike Battery grip...

No, it's the official Nikon one. Might still be a problem with it though or maybe the batteries are going done, although the cycle is only at 1. I'll maybe send it off to be checked over whilst the weather is poor and I'm not out shooting.

No, it's the official Nikon one. Might still be a problem with it though or maybe the batteries are going done, although the cycle is only at 1. I'll maybe send it off to be checked over whilst the weather is poor and I'm not out shooting.

Sounds like a issue that will need looking at, worth cleaning the connections first maybe? Worth a go...

Is anyone using the new Nikon 35mm f1.8 G ED lens on the D800? I've just sold a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 with an eye to moving back to a mostly prime lineup for travel and I was planning on picking up another Sigma 35mm f1.4 but the Nikon can be had for around £260 less which would free up cash to go toward another lens.

I'm using the Sigma 35 on mine. Had considered the Nikon 35, I am sure it performs great on it. I think for the money the Sigma is hard to beat, especially imported.

Just realised this is the D800 thread. No longer own that, got mixed up with a D750. I did actually use the lens on a D800 previously and after some slight tuning it was fantastic

I am looking to get a flash gun for my D800 to take portrait shots of friends, family and events and tinker with Off Camera Flash. Is the SB-910 AF Speedlight still the best one to go for over say the SB-700 or something from Nissin or Yongnuo. I am mainly a video shooter so am clueless on flashguns. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Not much more to be said. It's been out ages, and anything said is probably already posted in this thread.

I am looking to get a flash gun for my D800 to take portrait shots of friends, family and events and tinker with Off Camera Flash. Is the SB-910 AF Speedlight still the best one to go for over say the SB-700 or something from Nissin or Yongnuo. I am mainly a video shooter so am clueless on flashguns. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have a Sb-700 for my D800 and it works a treat together would highly recommend :)

Still using my E, used it only last night for a 30th birthday party. Though, that was my first proper shoot since a bit before Christmas. I'm going through a very lazy patch with the photography - one of those dry phases, where you find it hard to get motivated. It always comes back though, eventually.

I have a Sb-700 for my D800 and it works a treat together would highly recommend :)

Thanks for your recommendation. With it being considerably cheaper than the SB910 I had assumptions it wouldn't be as good? What do you use you SB700 for? My intention is to pair it with the Nikon 24-70 at the 70mm end to take pictures at small events such as birthday parties or religious ceremonies where light isn't always great indoors.

Thanks for your recommendation. With it being considerably cheaper than the SB910 I had assumptions it wouldn't be as good? What do you use you SB700 for? My intention is to pair it with the Nikon 24-70 at the 70mm end to take pictures at small events such as birthday parties or religious ceremonies where light isn't always great indoors.

Use mine with a Nikon 24-70mm and 70-200mm f/2.8VR II for the occasional Wedding and Indoor Photography, always worked well for me for me and never seen the need of upgrading to the SB-910

Take a look at the Meike 910 i have had to replace a old SB800 and went with one of these on a friends recommendation £70 off eBay and works a treat on my D810 and other Dslrs

I really very pleased as I sold my pair of SB900s a couple of years ago but I loaned my SB800 out last year to a friend and it came back fried and melted
I wasn't in a position to replace it even with a S/h so I got Meike 910 on a recommendation for a wedding I had to shoot and it worked perfectly even the Nikon CLS works off camera

Still using my D800 and still loving it for what I do. Bar LV focusing in low light where it gets a bit noisy I am loving the thing and cannot imagine upgrading for ages, I get what I want out of it and tbh its the camera of my dreams. Dynamic range is excellent, its easy to use and well laid out, nice and solid in the hands and with heavy lens balances really well in the hand, the resolution is incredible and I love the histogram in LV and being able to zoom in to check focus.

They are only low res, but are tack sharp at full res.

_DSC2702 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC3052 (1) by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC2202 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC2644 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

I haven't posted here for yonks, here's an image I shot a long time ago with my D800 at the time. I quite fancy looking at maybe going for another D800 at some stage. Is there much difference with the newer D810 over the D800?

Untitled by Peter McCullough Photography, on Flickr
Great thread revival.

I've not used a d810 but still love the d800. So much I have two of them.

Second hand they are such good purchases. I just do landscape, yes the d810 will be slightly cleaner, the AF better, the live view focussing cleaner in low light but value wise d800s go cheap used.

My d800 has been great. Here's my year summarised with it

http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/landscape-photography-top-ten-images-2015/

Last edited:
Back