Nikon D810

Thanks for the steer pookeyhead. Will look at the images when I get on a computer later. Have to say that having had quite a lot of ExPro batteries, which are invariably very good, I wondered if their battery grip might be ok ? The images on Amazon do not inspire confidence I might add.

Thanks again.

Gary

There was some people interested on the sRaw format earlier in the thread.

http://photographylife.com/ have started doing some A-B-C testing of the raw, sRaw and jpegs and the effects on recovery, DR and such. There have been about 3-4 articles so far.

It's clearly not for me, but it may be of use to some.

Does it matter who shot the image? If all you're doing is evaluating technical quality, surely it makes no difference. Why assume the images taken by someone on here would be any different?

I've looked at so many raws from both cameras now, that I can confidently say there's absolutely no difference in image quality between the 800E and the 810... nada... zip. It woudl be impossible to tell them apart in a blind test.

Sorry wasnt being difficult, its more I wondered what people on here thought of the camera and just wanted to see some photos from the some of the members that have the camera - btw Ive never shot the 800E/800!

Hi Pookeyhead.

Thanks for the images of the grips. The Pixel Vertax does indeed look most like the OEM version and that is probably a good thing. All third-party grips seem to get good-and-bad reviews though, including the Pixel.

I will leave purchasing until tomorrow now.

The Pixel is currently the front runner but would appreciate recommendations from any others here.

Regards

Gary

Hi Pookeyhead.

Thanks for the images of the grips. The Pixel Vertax does indeed look most like the OEM version and that is probably a good thing. All third-party grips seem to get good-and-bad reviews though, including the Pixel.

The Pixel is currently the front runner but would appreciate recommendations from any others here.

Regards

Gary
Meike here, had them on all my cameras and never a single issue, only had one Pixel and camera stopped communicating with it

OOI, can anyone here recommend a decent third-party grip for the D810/D800/D800e ?

Meike/Pixel seem to get ok reviews but are there any other good options out there ?

I had a Meike battery grip but it died after three weeks the camera will not longer recognise it is connected to the camera :confused: , Will be interesting to hear what grip you go for and how it works for you...

There are issues with grips if you use the latest firmware on the D800/E

Not with my Pixel grip there isn't. It works just fine after the latest f/w upgrade.

Yeah.. usual internet BS rumour mill in action.

I had used third party grips with other Nikons with mixed results (one shorted causing the camera to act weird when it was installed). I went with the OEM grip even though it is more expensive... I won't say there's no plastic in it, but the mounting knob and housing are magnesium (I tested it because I couldn't tell). I figured I was going to keep the D800 for a while so might as well make sure the grip lasted as well.

double posted... I meant to post it here originally.

For those looking for a few pics from the D810, these were pretty much the first images taken with the camera. Shot with a Sigma 85 f/1.4, f5 + f4 respectively. ISO100, the close in crops have lost some of their sharpness, images below don't really do them justice.

D810 #2 was returned on Monday, typically Jessops are now out of stock so have to wait until next week or wait for a refund and go elsewhere.

i-SFrBxzw-L.jpg

i-j6QjFrx-L.jpg

i-pLMLqVD-L.jpg

i-LZxvRtm-L.jpg

the close in crops have lost some of their sharpness, images below don't really do them justice.

So they're pointless then. You post image with 100% crops to show sharpness, then tell they're not as sharp as they should be.. LOL

Why have they lost sharpness any way? They're hosted on your own website, so you can control how sharp or not they are, surely?

Last edited:
Hi Pookeyhead.

Regards

Gary

I've got the Nikon grip never had any problems with it. You can find them used in good condition and if you sold it you wouldn't lose much money on it.

So they're pointless then. You post image with 100% crops to show sharpness, then tell they're not as sharp as they should be.. LOL

Why have they lost sharpness any way? They're hosted on your own website, so you can control how sharp or not they are, surely?

Why do you feel the need to question and criticise? I very quickly cropped and exported these at a smaller resolution, just to give an idea, the reduction in sharpness is probably due to the LR (user) preset used to export, I didn't mention they were 100% crops.

Last edited:
Just to let all know that, to some extent, I copped-out and bought a Pixel Vertax grip.

I fancied the Phottox and the Mieke but delivery times on Amazon for the Meike are too long so went with the Pixel.

Laudrup, I did look around all the usual suspects to try find a used OEM grip but could not find one.

Anyway, thanks to all for your advice.

I got my D810 today and want a grip asap.

Also, an interesting phenomenon is that I put in a 32Gb Kingston x600 Ultimate CF card into the D810 and got a "card err" message. However, a lower spec Kingston card works absolutely fine. I have obviously not read the manual in the last 30 minutes. Can anyone here enlighten me as to why the high spec card was not liked ?

Just wondering ?

BTW, psenior1, thanks for posting the images. I am sure the couple are delighted with these. Not sure what the standards of sharpness are around here but they look pretty damn sharp to me !

Gary

Last edited:
Why do you feel the need to question and criticise? I very quickly cropped and exported these at a smaller resolution, just to give an idea, the reduction in sharpness is probably due to the LR (user) preset used to export, I didn't mention they were 100% crops.

Because it's misleading.. that's why.

I Just don't see the point of taking the time to crop out a detail and post it on here when it's not even representative of what the camera is capable of.. then telling us the very photos we're looking at do not do the camera justice. Or am I missing something? :thinking:

Also, an interesting phenomenon is that I put in a 32Gb Kingston x600 Ultimate CF card into the D810 and got a "card err" message. However, a lower spec Kingston card works absolutely fine. I have obviously not read the manual in the last 30 minutes. Can anyone here enlighten me as to why the high spec card was not liked ?

Just wondering ?

Can you format it, or will it not allow that?

Can you format the card on the PC first, then reformat it in camera?

Because it's misleading.. that's why.

I Just don't see the point of taking the time to crop out a detail and post it on here when it's not even representative of what the camera is capable of.. then telling us the very photos we're looking at do not do the camera justice. Or am I missing something? :thinking:

jeez, David you make posting on this forum a painful thing, your like the fun police. They were just a couple of pics to show some images taken with the camera after people have asked to see some. If anyone else agrees that the crops are misleading I'll remove them.

I've explained already: The images are lovely BTW.... just genuinely don't get the "here are some 100% crops with the D810.. but BTW.. they don't really show you how sharp it is" thing. Sorry if that ruins your fun. Being an equipment forum I assumed people wanted facts in here, not entertainment.

Hi Pookeyhead

This card was last used in my D800e and worked fine there, however, I have since formatted it in the computer and it says it has formatted in the camera as well but still I get the "card err" message. Might have to resort to the manual !

Edit: not just me it seems !http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3704478

Last edited:
Hi Pookeyhead

This card was last used in my D800e and worked fine there, however, I have since formatted it in the computer and it says it has formatted in the camera as well but still I get the "card err" message. Might have to resort to the manual !

Looks like a real issue then. I asked because I've encountered this before: New camera, but cards that were/are fine misbehave.. and a computer format sorted it. If not in this case, looks like an issue with the internal card reader. Looks like the firmware upgrade wish list starts already :)

Hi Pookeyhead

eeek, not good. Could this be something they fix with a firmware update? I've tried a few CF cards with the D810, all Sandisk admittedly, from 32gb Ultra which are great value to 64gb Extreme pro's without issue.

Moose Peterson has a 2 weeks with video up now.

Seems to confirm most stuff. Faster than the D800, loves the group area AF. ISO maybe a shade better but if that's your problem grab a Df/4. Highlight priority metering, pitches as roughly -1ve but seems to like it anyway. Battery life is better, but not massively.

Generally seems to like it.

I can genuinely see me getting one at some point, and would have done in place of my D700 in spring had it existed. Will be keeping an eye on prices and my savings and once that is right I'll get one ordered.

Miffed since all my big, fast CF cards seem to be on the do-not-work-very-well-with-the-Nikon D810-list ! (never done an emoticon in my life but I bet there is not one for how miffed I am ?)

Cheers for the steer psenior1, might have to go off to the Sandisk shop ?

Last edited:
01:00

Amen. Been saying this for years. Someone famous has said it now though, so it's true now.

When I got my D800 I had some card errors with some and not with other identical cards. The cards with errors were previously used (and continued to work) in other cameras and the ones without issues were fresh. I didn't try a LLF on the cards using a computer... probably should have.

Last edited:
01:00

Amen. Been saying this for years. Someone famous has said it now though, so it's true now.
You'd hope that people would apply their needs to the 100s of reviews to make an informed decision but then the number of "do I get this thing" posts you see asked to any famous person they obviously just want a "get this kit" answer.

Having been reading reviews you see all the usual "you need to shoot a half or more stop faster for clean images" you get on the D8x0 camera reviews. Why do we never see this on the D7000 which is similar pixel sizes, or worse a D5300 with even smaller pixels!

Having been reading reviews you see all the usual "you need to shoot a half or more stop faster for clean images" you get on the D8x0 camera reviews. Why do we never see this on the D7000 which is similar pixel sizes, or worse a D5300 with even smaller pixels!
Probably more because of who those cameras are marketed to... and the size of images they generally use.

But "faster" than what? I try to keep my SS at 2x FL if possible regardless of what I'm using. I consider that my minimum reliable for the D8xx and prefer even faster (but seldom get it). Many are used to using the 1/FL rule and don't realize how marginal that can be...

aaarrrgggghhh!!! - really struggling with the decision to upgrade!

my main camera is a D800E and I've no complaints about it although I really, really miss the group AF mode that was on the D2X/D200/Fuji S5 - and now it's back (or at least something similar) the D810 would be a camera that ticks all the boxes for me - but £1200 to upgrade stings somewhat!

can anyone tell me how well the new group AF mode works in real life and ideally how it compares to the similar mode of old?

TBH, I haven't tried group area AF on the D810 yet, but based on the description I'm not expecting it to be anything great or new. As I understand it group area AF lets you select a group of 5 focus points instead of a single one.

But here's the thing Nikon doesn't tell you... if you are using a dynamic focus mode with any of the later bodies (D4/D800/etc) it's already using 5 focus points to acquire initial focus. It's NOT using only the highlighted focus point you select. Try it for yourself... it's easy enough to test.

Edit: Ok, I don't know "exactly" what the camera is doing/using (#pts)... I just know it's not using only the selected AF point and it "seems to be" 5 based upon testing.
And I haven't tested the D810 yet...

Last edited:
What's the difference between group af and focus with focus assist or dynamic area focus?

Group AF isn't "dynamic;" the 5pt group doesn't move. In a dynamic mode the 5pts move with the subject (Nikon says it's one pt). Focus assist is a light on the camera body.

When I got my D800 I had some card errors with some and not with other identical cards. The cards with errors were previously used (and continued to work) in other cameras and the ones without issues were fresh. I didn't try a LLF on the cards using a computer... probably should have.
Miffed since all my big, fast CF cards seem to be on the do-not-work-very-well-with-the-Nikon D810-list ! (never done an emoticon in my life but I bet there is not one for how miffed I am ?)

Cheers for the steer psenior1, might have to go off to the Sandisk shop ?

Got the error message on a Silicone power 64GB 400x card several times - tried it back in the D3s and worked OK in that - Rang S/P and they advised a Low level Format using https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ and it has been OK so far

Back