Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I'm interested in picking up an Oly OMD EM1 MkII. It's in my budget range in the used market.
I like shooting moving wildlife and running dogs, sport etc and I think the auto focus will be better than the Panasonic G80 I currently have, and it's a slightly higher pixel count for potential cropping. Now the question, my current lenses are:
Pana 12-60mm Power OIS
Pana 100-300mm Mega OIS
Will I still be able to get the same performance with the Oly EM1 MkII using my Pana lenses on moving subjects, or would I need to buy Oly lenses?

I'm interested in picking up an Oly OMD EM1 MkII. It's in my budget range in the used market.
I like shooting moving wildlife and running dogs, sport etc and I think the auto focus will be better than the Panasonic G80 I currently have, and it's a slightly higher pixel count for potential cropping. Now the question, my current lenses are:
Pana 12-60mm Power OIS
Pana 100-300mm Mega OIS
Will I still be able to get the same performance with the Oly EM1 MkII using my Pana lenses on moving subjects, or would I need to buy Oly lenses?
Your lenses will work fine on the Oly bodies no need to buy olympus, unless you want to.I've used a number of Panny lenses on my Oly bosses over the years with no problems and there's quite a few on here used the Panny 100-300 on Olympus too. The power OIS will not work with the IBIS though, you'll have to use one or the other.

Last edited:
As Steve says above no issues using your lenses on an Olympus body
I had an E-M1 ii until recently, no complaints from me and very good value at the current used prices,
One thing to look out for is the rubber grips peeling away from the body, quite a common problem.

I'll mirror what the others have said with one little tip .. for the 12-60 i.b.i.s will work fine with the lens , but for the 100-300 the full focal length is out of the i.b.i.s range so you have to go into the cog menu and set lens i.s priority .
as your lens doesn't from memory have a built in i.s switch this is just a precautionary measure but worth setting up and once set no need to change it as the smaller lenses just ignore it . and defer to i.b.i.s
the one main problem with the MKii is the grip rubber at the front absorbing oils from greasy skin and becoming stretched and detached . be aware of this when buying its not a easy fix .other than that its a super camera and in a lot of ways I preferred it to my current mkiii

the other good point about it is with the purchase of a MMF-2 or 3 or equivalent adaptor , you can use the far cheaper four thirds lenses with no loss of i.q and trust me theres some bargains out there

Last edited:
Thanks @the black fox @tijuana taxi @jakeblu
Not sure in real world terms how much better the hit rate is on BIF and action shots, but that's what drew me to the EM1 II over the Pana G90 or G9. From the reviews I have seen it's considerably better and makes a real difference.
The dodgy hand grip is a worry though, I use my camera a lot so the Oly would get a lot of handling and be in constant use.

Not sure in real world terms how much better the hit rate is on BIF and action shots, but that's what drew me to the EM1 II over the Pana G90 or G9. From the reviews I have seen it's considerably better and makes a real difference.
The dodgy hand grip is a worry though, I use my camera a lot so the Oly would get a lot of handling and be in constant use.
I don't do wildlife, but on other moving targets I didn't find it much different to my G9 with the latest firmware.

It’s hit and miss ,I have very oily skin I.e my I.pad needs constant cleaning whereas the wife’s does not .. other theories say it’s nothing to do with it .. there was someone on here was selling a set of moulded grips for one a while back .. might be worth asking in the wanted a guy in australia makes them on a plastic printer so impervious to the problem

It’s hit and miss ,I have very oily skin I.e my I.pad needs constant cleaning whereas the wife’s does not .. other theories say it’s nothing to do with it .. there was someone on here was selling a set of moulded grips for one a while back .. might be worth asking in the wanted a guy in australia makes them on a plastic printer so impervious to the problem
That was me. The ad should still be in classifieds - if I can remember where I stored the kit

That was me. The ad should still be in classifieds - if I can remember where I stored the kit
if you find it might be worth dropping @Crotal Bell a p.m

funnily enough I nearly bought it myself to keep in stock for a rainy day LOL

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff that's great info, much appreciated.

Thanks Jeff that's great info, much appreciated.
Check out above post from Stephen L re the grips..he has just bumped you in the for sale section , accessories ,, a total bargain at that price

Last edited:
Check out above post from Stephen L re the grips..he has just bumped you in the for sale section , accessories ,, a total bargain at that price
That's Jeff. Now to decide if I can take the plunge and buy the EM1 MkII.
I like the idea of better focus on moving subjects and also 20MP. I also like the size and weight of MFT and glad I chose this route.
This would be my final camera.

Find one of my pics and link to my flickr stream Keith , then go back till you come across the mkii shots,it’s a cracker of a camera

in fact heres one from march 2020 its one of a burst of around 30+ shots all of which were in focus ,if you look carefully you can even see the toes of the rat
eat out-help out by jeff cohen, on Flickr

On Sunday we had a Battle Royale in the garden that ended in an all you can eat buffet.
The result was Pigeons -2 : Sparrowhawk 2

_A160306_DxO by Justyn Crane, on Flickr

_A160277_DxO by Justyn Crane, on Flickr

E-M1iii, PL200 + x1.4TC, through the kitchen window and via DXO PL4
Red in tooth and claw!

Not always seen but, though bloody, amazing to witness an apex predator in action.

just to prove you dont HAVE to spend a small fortune on gear to get the results , I have just acquired a olympus E.620 DSLR which takes the four thirds lenses , my reasons being I have two four thirds lenses already the 11-22 and 40-150 which I have been using with a MMF2 adaptor . this now eliminates the need for it and it came with a 14-42 lens as well .
I had seen the results from one a few weeks ago and delved into actual results in more depth both on flickr and juza which are both good for real use photos . so the search began I quickly eliminated e.bay as the prices are ludicrous as are some sellers descriptions . then doing a online search only two came up from u.k dealer shops I missed one by hesitating to long but got this one at a mouth watering price it arrived yesterday and came in unmarked condition, with lens , charger and 2 batteries and four lens hoods ? all different but one fitted my 40-150 so another £10 saved there .and two years warranty ..
below are the first couple of test shots which put through modern P/P methods have come out o.k not bad for a 2009 12.3mp sensor
one of the ruins that cromwell knocked about a bit by jeff cohen, on Flickr

castle keep by jeff cohen, on Flickr

just to prove you dont HAVE to spend a small fortune on gear to get the results , I have just acquired a olympus E.620 DSLR which takes the four thirds lenses , my reasons being I have two four thirds lenses already the 11-22 and 40-150 which I have been using with a MMF2 adaptor . this now eliminates the need for it and it came with a 14-42 lens as well .
I had seen the results from one a few weeks ago and delved into actual results in more depth both on flickr and juza which are both good for real use photos . so the search began I quickly eliminated e.bay as the prices are ludicrous as are some sellers descriptions . then doing a online search only two came up from u.k dealer shops I missed one by hesitating to long but got this one at a mouth watering price it arrived yesterday and came in unmarked condition, with lens , charger and 2 batteries and four lens hoods ? all different but one fitted my 40-150 so another £10 saved there .and two years warranty ..
below are the first couple of test shots which put through modern P/P methods have come out o.k not bad for a 2009 12.3mp sensor
one of the ruins that cromwell knocked about a bit by jeff cohen, on Flickr

castle keep by jeff cohen, on Flickr
I have owned the E510, E520, E620, and E1. All gave great results, and the icing on the cake was the shutter sound of the E1.

lovely shot your lordship

Walk about the wetlands again today, managed to catch, (only just :)) this Cormorant in flight, I was on the wrong setting, the one I use for stationary birds but fortunately it wasn't going too fast.
Great Cormorant in flight by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

There are always a number of egrets, herons at the wetlands but like this one they're usually beyond my reach. Would love a 100-400 perhaps I should start a go fund me page :)

egret by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

in fact heres one from march 2020 its one of a burst of around 30+ shots all of which were in focus ,if you look carefully you can even see the toes of the rat
eat out-help out by jeff cohen, on Flickr
Thats superb !!
When I was shooting a Kite recently, I must have reeled off 80+ shots over half an hour, and I had a handful of keepers with the Pana G80.
In the cameras defence, I was shooting overhead onto a grey sky, so the poor light, plus my balance and lack of experience needs to be factored in.
All the same I think it's a given that Olympus is superior at this sort of photography.

I am coming from a camera that claims as its main selling point its simplicity back to Oly and I'm just trying to decide how to set up the custom modes from the bewildering options on my EM1 mk3. I would be interested in how forum members use the modes on their EM cameras (in general terms, not every individual setting).

I am coming from a camera that claims as its main selling point its simplicity back to Oly and I'm just trying to decide how to set up the custom modes from the bewildering options on my EM1 mk3. I would be interested in how forum members use the modes on their EM cameras (in general terms, not every individual setting).
I only use 2 of the 4 so far with one set for b.i.f using pro cap low and cluster focus and the other one set for my manual focus lenses with focus peaking

I would be very grateful to know your focus pattern for BIF "cluster focus" ?
Ah your lack of things olympus shows Keith .. cluster focus is all points ,the focus mode itself just picks the in focus ones to use . It’s fine on it’s own if you wish but combined with pro cap low or pro cap high it’s a killer though low is best .. as it takes shots before ,during and after you press the shutter ,,some applications though only apply to the 1-mkiii , see my starling shots from last week

Ah your lack of things olympus shows Keith .. cluster focus is all points ,the focus mode itself just picks the in focus ones to use . It’s fine on it’s own if you wish but combined with pro cap low or pro cap high it’s a killer though low is best .. as it takes shots before ,during and after you press the shutter ,,some applications though only apply to the 1-mkiii , see my starling shots from last week
Thanks Jeff, so with my Pana G80 I should been using the multi focus where the focus box will move around on it's own and search out the BIF?
I have been using centre point and trying to keep the bird in the centre of the screen.

Thanks Jeff, so with my Pana G80 I should been using the multi focus where the focus box will move around on it's own and search out the BIF?
I have been using centre point and trying to keep the bird in the centre of the screen.
Trial and error Keith ,take into account I have 20+ years experience across multi brands of cameras and lenses … I have always told others seek out somewhere quiet that has a local gull population a loaf of sliced bread shredded up will give you a hours practise

Trial and error Keith ,take into account I have 20+ years experience across multi brands of cameras and lenses … I have always told others seek out somewhere quiet that has a local gull population a loaf of sliced bread shredded up will give you a hours practise
That's a cracking idea Jeff, makes good sense, and I actually think Gulls are underrated due to how common they are.

Back