weekly overbez's 52 in 2014... Week 52 - SUPPORT added... *** FINISHED ***

The second one is a great idea, I bet he is made up with pic
Cheers Allan, next time we do some prints I'll get one for his bedroom wall. Little 'in is amazed by it too, but his stunts consist of going along with one leg stuck out to the side.

Two great submissions Graham. Number one just nudges it for me, love the composition and the timing. Nice even light too. could see this as an advert pick, promoting the scooter or helmet. good work. (y)

Thanks Adam.. Appreciate that. :)

Nature: Whats not to like! The bokeh, the vibrant colours, the movement in the 'rain' and the drops of water on the flowers, all brilliant. All round an Amazingin capture in camera. My only small sniggle if pushed to crit would be the slightly un-natrual way the stems are bunched together and the flowers splayed out as a result.

Action: Oh man....this is action at its best! I like the sharp focus and vibrant colours in both (y)

No1) Like the tongue out and tippy toe stretch in the legs....really gives the feeling that his giving it his all. All complimented nicely by the way his flying through the air with no wheels on the ground. Im guessing a bit of shadow under him would have been nice to create more distinction between rider and ramp?

No2) Clever idea and technically well executed to cut down PP time. My Fav by far and as other have said, I am sure he loves it!

Nice to see that his wearing a helmet too (y)

Last edited:
Hi Graham

#2 for me....perfectly caught , seamlessly blended , perfect light....whats not to like :clap::clap:

Just discovered I missed your Danbo shot......neat , love the pov & the lighting , harsh but not over powering....:)

Last edited:
My only small sniggle if pushed to crit would be the slightly un-natrual way the stems are bunched together and the flowers splayed out as a result.
..... 8<.........
Nice to see that his wearing a helmet too (y)

Cheers Jason, pretty much summed up my thoughts on those two shots there, never saw the bunching of the stems as they had to be held together to strengthen the tulips under the rain.

The shadow does appear when he is a tiny bit further forward, but valid point. I also love the tongue and the tip toes. They always wear a helmet on bikes and scooters, has saved me from a few trips to a hospital, (or worse).

Great fun :clap:

Indeed, thanks mark.

both great images no 1 for me the expression you have captured makes the image

Cheers Craig, hard for me to pick between them too.

Just discovered I missed your Danbo shot:)

Thanks Lynne, the sunlight for the scooter shots was indeed lovely, was colder than it looks but still nice.

Danbo eh, might pull him down from the shelf this week.. (As I have nowt else at the moment). :eek:

Week 16 - MONO....

Sorry to be Mr Obvious... but I wasn't going to post anything NOT B&W this week. :), but also was thinking along the lines of simple, single, one, etc.

There is no colour this week, so SOOC but desaturated.

And....

SOOC :)

I like the detail of all the individual filaments and fluffy bits in the knot and the simple but effective composition, but I have to give my vote to the beach shot - I love the way the mast at the end of the jetty is like an arrow pointing to the sky and drawing my attention to the lovely cloud formations (y)

Hi Graham

Bit behind I'm afraid
Nature - like the comp , the colours and the way that the water has been caught in the straight lines.
Action - both well on heme and well presented. You have certainly caught the action in still frame - nothing is moving, even the wheels. Also seems like difficult light - middle of the day perhaps. #2 is cleverly done and good pp to get that. #1 is my fave cos i like the way that the lad's expression has been caught - of itself the concentration seems to fit the theme
Mono - #1 is super. Works very well for a central shot. good deep tones throughout, esp in the sky
#2 is Ok but does not really excite me and the contrast in the light between top and bottom seems too much

Hi Graham, first one definitely you have isolated the focal point really well really good PP on it too, just a good shot :clap:
The rope not sure about the lighting on it really seems a little too much

Hi Graham, initially, the thumbnail of the rope stands out probably due to the contrast but viewed full screen I prefer the beach shot. I like them both but agree with the others.

Thanks everyone...

@XenosElaine I was thinking single or one with this, and the sky was perfect for the conversion, nice and blue with fluffy clouds

@superpippo yep was mid / late morning.. would have been earlier... but the boys knew we were off to skate park as well as a quick pop into town.... and what did we somehow manage to forget?? The blimmin scooters! So had to return home. :bonk:

@alsjazzera I had in mind to get a black BG, with a lot of contrast, so had strong side lighting.. maybe too strong it seems.

@mr.si pretty happy I got this one really close in camera... not quite to everyones tastes though. :)

Hi Graham ....just had a look back through your thread...Nature is beautiful...Action....a great frozen shot, and I really like the one with the four images, that's a great idea and looks very hard to achieve ... mono ...I just love the rope...it's my kind of image, simple but so effective.

I like the deserted beach, it is an almost film like quality to it.

The way the eye is drawn in by the strong concrete path to a nice convergence of the horizon meeting the post.

Very nice :clap:

Got to be the beach shot for me Graham, love the clouds (y)............I would have cloned out the couple with the dog? on the left though :whistle:

Like the landscape, nice composition and great sky

Cheers Colin... was a simple choice to put the jetty dead centre, but though the sky deserved more than just the top 2/3rds

Hi Graham ....just had a look back through your thread...Nature is beautiful...Action....a great frozen shot, and I really like the one with the four images, that's a great idea and looks very hard to achieve ... mono ...I just love the rope...it's my kind of image, simple but so effective.

Thanks susie... I like looking back through my thread (and sometimes others) myself sometimes too. :), The 4 shots into 1 is not that hard to do, really need to make sure the camera stays still through them all, I tried but I still had to align them afterwards. It then is a "simple" job of painting out the bit you want to keep on the layer mask.. and then inverting that.

Yay - one for the rope knot! (y)

I like the deserted beach, it is an almost film like quality to it.

The way the eye is drawn in by the strong concrete path to a nice convergence of the horizon meeting the post.

Very nice :clap:

Cheers Mark - I did also take one from more to the right, with the jetty coming in from bottom left... but preferred the comp on this one.

Nature - cracking shot love the composition, excellent work.

Action - fits the the theme beautifully, love both images zero crit from me.

Mono - again fits the theme and the composition is good.

Thanks Mandy

Got to be the beach shot for me Graham, love the clouds (y)............I would have cloned out the couple with the dog? on the left though :whistle:

Hi Phil... interesting how a flat desaturated image (as in the SOOC) can be brought to life, by reducing the lightness of the blues in the B&W conversion, upping the contrast, creating 2 layers with levels adjustments one for the sky and one the land, and then using a gradient on a layer mask to blend the two together.....

Couple with the dog?? Clone them out?? But then where would be the scale to the image?? :) TBH I could have disappeared them... but thought them so small it wasn't worth it!

Last edited:
Beach shot is superb love the way it draws you in

Cheers Craig.

love that knotted rope image ... great lighting/contrast.

Thanks David.. High contrast was the aim. Cheers. Is actually the knotted rope on the boys jungle gym in the garden. Hanging vertically down, shot with the camera tipped to one side to get the angle.

Mono - beech shot is my fav. I wonder how it wold look if you cropped the bottom of the picture at the start of the concrete path. Great shot though and well composed.

So,your knot. was just a week early?! ESP!

Hmmm... That thought had occurred to me when I saw the theme. Might have to be same subject.. Maybe even same shot but with a different style... We'll have to see :)

Mono - beech shot is my fav. I wonder how it wold look if you cropped the bottom of the picture at the start of the concrete path.

Thanks Richard.. I did consider that, but as there was a natural start to the path, emerging from the sand I chose to use that rather than have a harsh entry into the frame. (y)

Last edited:
Hi Graham

minimal seascape for me...perfectly central which shouldn't really work but really does in this case, little bit of detail in the sky as well :clap: I'd maybe consider cropping to the edge of the jetty...or maybe not :wave:

The rope shots ok with good detail & texture but pales next to the seascape...sorry :exit:

Hi Graham,
I like the seascape, good composition, one of those times when a central lead in works well(y)
Hi Graham

minimal seascape for me...perfectly central which shouldn't really work but really does in this case, little bit of detail in the sky as well :clap: I'd maybe consider cropping to the edge of the jetty...or maybe not :wave:

The rope shots ok with good detail & texture but pales next to the seascape...sorry :exit:

Thankyou ladies, Richard also mentioned the crop off the bottom, and I did consider it but as said prefer the natural beginningof it emerging through the sand.

Week 17 - Twisted

Simple idea, leading to a pretty non-original composition, although I originally planned on a horizontal though the centre of the frame, I changed my mind!

[URL='https://i.imgur.com/HjFhTpl.jpg']Week 17 SOOC
- nowhere close this week in-camera :([/url]

Last edited:
Hi Graham, simple idea, well executed as usual, quite similar to a couple of others this week but a nice twist with the magnifying glass

@SevernBore thankyou Andrew, simple as you say.. But still quite tricky to line everything up.

quite similar to a couple of others this week

Something about the theme I think.. This is similar in a few ways to my knotted rope taken before the theme came out.

but a nice twist with the magnifying glass

I see what you did there... :D

Thanks. (y)

Last edited:
Hey Graham :)

Trying to catch up on comments, but stuck in a hotel again on a tablet, so excuse briefness and any poor typo's :)

Nature - Love that image, the rain falling and splashing is an excellent idea, and well captured to say the least, great bold red and green background work really well, can't fault it on my tablet screen (y)

Action - Excellent facial expression of concentration... liking the genital slope of the floor and the bold contrast with the green hedge, mid air capture, spot on again !!!!

The second action shot works well too, but prefer the first :)

(not going to attempt to multi quote from two pages so will post again :))

Right - Mono

The land/waterscape is the clear winner for me, I'd like more DoF on the rope, the areas in focus are excellent, would just like to see more :)

The Pier/Jetty is unusual being straight on, but works really well, super sky, an all in all great B&W conversion (y)

Twisted - Again a very imaginative idea, well worked out crop/composition, a great background on my tablet screen and spot on detail - have to say it again - Love this idea :clap:

Nature - Love that image, the rain falling and splashing .......................... can't fault it on my tablet screen (y)

Cheers Dean.. Looks great printed A3 on the wall at home too. :D

I'd like more DoF on the rope, the areas in focus are excellent, would just like to see more :)

You're dead right - think I was concentrating more on teh lighting, and composition, completely neglected to think about DOF, really really must stop shooting wide open so often! :facepalm: I'm happy to raise the ISO nowadays so I have no excuse.

Cheers for comments on the others too. (y)

Yep, great idea with the magnifying glass Graham, composition works well, good detail and white bg (y)

great thread (just gone through from the beginning) some really stunning photos, can't wait to see more

Back