weekly overbez's 52 in 2014... Week 52 - SUPPORT added... *** FINISHED ***

Hi Graham...I really like this...the simplicity of it makes it eye catching, but when you look into the shading along the spiral it has lots of interesting detail, the magnifying glass just finishes it off perfectly :)

thanks susie (thought I'd replied earlier), I did try with some paper to shade the light that was creating teh highlights on the spirals, but felt this took away from the image, so left them in.

Yep, great idea with the magnifying glass Graham, composition works well, good detail and white bg (y)
On theme, nice idea, it works well with the nice white bg the focus is good and the magnifying glass adds to it nicely (y)
On theme, good detail and an interesting idea.

Thanks guys. much appreciated.

great thread (just gone through from the beginning) some really stunning photos, can't wait to see more

Cheers Richard - kind of you to say. Funny to think I wasn;t going to go round again this year... but already 2 of the shots I've taken for the 52, I have printed big and have on the wall at home. And I doubt I'd have taken them otherwise. :)

Graham
Twisted - bang on theme. Good comp with the elements in good positions. Like the idea of the diag as it also makes the magnifying glass on an angle. But what really make it for me is the excellent b/g and the bright, almost magical, colours - actually there are only a very few colours in there - really just tones of white, silver and gold.

Nicely lit twisted shot and a good background. adding the magnifying glass helps to add more interest and keep the viewers attention a bit longer. good work.

HI Graham

no crit from me on the one....love the idea & the exectution , very effective & imaginative :clap::clap:

Cheers guys. simple is often the way to go!

WEEK 18 - FRESH

Well, I had a lovely bank holiday laying a patio, and have now finished that, and just have to make a step out of the french doors.

With no energy to find another idea, we have freshly laid, and freshly pointed!

Week 18 - SOOC

Week 18 - SOOC

There will be beer being enjoyed upon it Friday night..... whatever the weather! :)

Last edited:
Nicely laid!

I actually like the second one more, it shows just how fresh the pointing is. Also, because the first one makes my eyes go a little funny and I can't describe why. I like the pattern you've got in the composition though.

Thanksyou chaps, yep, on the second it was very fresh, and I struck it just before shooting to bring the water to the surface and catch the brief bit of sun that came through.

Friday I shall have a well earned drink or four, and maybe not even worry about the theme till Saturday.... just like the old days.

Title being changed next - the thread housekeeping's harder than the photo taking sometimes!

Hi, I like the closeness of #2 but the shadow distracts, IMO.

#1 has good detail, nice clean lighting and good DOF. I did a quick crop from the left and preferred it , mainly due to the prominent triangle shape.

Enjoy your beer (y)

Cheers.

Hi, number 1 for me agree with Andy about the shadows on the second
nice work too (y)

My vote goes to #1 also Graham (y)
It's graphical and abstract nature are particularly appealing, as are the subtle natural colour tones.

Simple yet effective, good work both photographically as well as laying patios. :D

Hi Graham :)

Fresh - as good a shot as any for the theme mate, fresh workmanship, good on you for getting the camera out when done, can't beat it... Like both shots, but the second pips it for me, like the wet pointing, nice bit of shine and a good angle :)

Enjoy a few beers on it for a few years mate (y)

Hi, I like the closeness of #2 but the shadow distracts, IMO.
Enjoy your beer (y)

cheers andy - shadow from a big tree... that aint going anywhere, I did time it for when the sun came through, unfrtunately sunlight brings shadows. :beer:

nice work too (y)

Cheers Allan

My vote goes to #1 also Graham (y)
It's graphical and abstract nature are particularly appealing, as are the subtle natural colour tones.

Thanks Iain, abstract / arty was the idea I had in mind. Cheers!

Hi Graham...someones been busy :) I like the first one of the two it looks more arty and abstract, but for me it's not so stunning as some of your past shots, I just looked back and realised I missed the one for step...I love that one, very creative :)

Thanks Susie - would you believe I had to think hard to remember what I did for step, This week my energy was elsewhere, hence the slightly less stunningness. I also have the feeling I am well overdue a real duffer of a week!!!

Fresh - as good a shot as any for the theme mate, fresh workmanship, good on you for getting the camera out when done, can't beat it... Like both shots, but the second pips it for me, like the wet pointing, nice bit of shine and a good angle :)

Enjoy a few beers on it for a few years mate (y)

Cheers Dean, Normally do snap a few record shots as I go along of various projects, but it was nice to get the 'big camera' out and do something a bit different.

Hi Graham

Mono:
Landscape is nice. Like the stong black and white in the sky, certainly is bold use of the grad filter but works well for me. Looks like Infra red type pic. Rope shot works well too. The mono really empahsies the balance between shadow and highlights. Nice and sharp and the diaganal comp is always going to be a winner ;)

Twisted: A great idea, wonderfully executed. Crisp, clean and sharp! what more could you ask for.......oh and I have to get myself one of those clamping gadgets

Fresh: Snap! we've just done redone our patio too within the last two weeks, though took the easy route and had someone install it :eek: I like number 2. The glisten (sparkle) of the fresh mortar adds to the feeling of freshness. Looks like a really neat and tidy pointing job.

Thanks @Judi

Cheers Jason
Mono: ........... Like the stong black and white in the sky, certainly is bold use of the grad filter but works well for me.

Well spotted, I've said before I don;t 100% "get" b&W conversions, but one thing I do like to do is push the processing a little further. :)

Clamping gadget is a third hand soldering tool (got it with my soldering iron... used it a few times now).

Fresh: Snap! we've just done redone our patio too within the last two weeks, though took the easy route and had someone install it :eek:

Wish we had, but it's nice to look back and say "I did that....", pretty much just with 2 hands and a spade!

Fresh: Sod the critique, when can you come and do my patio? :D

:D, cheers andy, how about when I regain some feeling in my fingers and lower back?? (y)

Cheers everyone! That was probably the most effort I've put into preparing the "props" for the weeks shot!!

Week 19 - Shape....

Week 19 - SOOC

Last edited:
really nice, i bet that wasn't as easy to get it perfectly central. Really nice idea and executed excellently. Mirror within a mirror effect

Oh yes Graham!! Thats very nice. Love the dark textured foreground and the brighter grad effect leading the eye up to the glasses which are by no coincidence so perfectly arranged. The almost level POV showcases the effect wonderfully too :)

SOOC, niiiiiceeeee.

Nope, no crit, I've had a good zoom in, even had a cheeky edit in Snapseed, but could not improve.

My initial reaction was for a clean surface, but that would have ruined in. The contrast between the white light, the sleek curves of the glasses, works really well.

Good show :clap:

Cheers.

Hi Graham, very nice, SOOC image also only lacks a little contrast too, nothing to crit at all perfectly placed nice light and a great idea :clap:

This is brilliant graham. I can't pick a fault either, even a small one. Background kept white, perfect placement and POV and a spot on exposure. Well done. (y)

really nice, i bet that wasn't as easy to get it perfectly central. Really nice idea and executed excellently. Mirror within a mirror effect

Cheers Richard - you're right, it wasn't easy, esp as I couldn;t set up on tripod as I was so low to the table, and I'm sure a couple of the glasses have a slight bend in the stem too.

Love it. 'Nuf said

Thanks Si

Oh yes Graham!! Thats very nice. Love the dark textured foreground and the brighter grad effect leading the eye up to the glasses which are by no coincidence so perfectly arranged. The almost level POV showcases the effect wonderfully too :)

Thankyou Jason, once again a well written, and considered piece of feedback. Really appreciated. (y)

SOOC, niiiiiceeeee.

Nope, no crit, I've had a good zoom in, even had a cheeky edit in Snapseed, but could not improve.

My initial reaction was for a clean surface, but that would have ruined in. The contrast between the white light, the sleek curves of the glasses, works really well..

Pretty close in camera, cheated a bit by removing the bottoms of the rear glasses too, just one part of the fiddling to bring it out, hmmm, can't say I considered a plainer surface, didn;t dislike the tiny 'marks' on the table surface, so carried on.

Hi Graham, very nice, SOOC image also only lacks a little contrast too, nothing to crit at all perfectly placed nice light and a great idea :clap:

Cheers Allan, yep, did have to give it a fair boot to the contrast, thanks.

This is brilliant graham. I can't pick a fault either, even a small one. Background kept white, perfect placement and POV and a spot on exposure. Well done. (y)

Sure it's been said before, you're not here to "pick fault". :), I know what you mean though. cheers.

Much nicer than your concrete slabs :)...very elegant and eye catching, the subtle fading down from light to dark works perfectly ..very nice indeedy !

Thanks Susie, the nice tall glasses are elegant and really benefit from the low POV

That is awesome Graham. Well done that man!!

Thanks David

Hey Dean, :)

Shape - Love that idea, very simple but very effective, very tall glasses that fade into the distance nicely,

Did originally plan to have the table edge as a hard horizontal about a 1/3 up, but as I pushed the contrast, the brightness just spilled over that edge onto the table, giving the fade into the distance you mention.

Must try a shot like that one day :)

Not too tricky to set up (as long as the stems of the glasses are all dead straight) - the key is having a flash on the floor, under the edge of te table, pointed up (45º or so) at the wall which was about 3ft beyond the table edge. I think the flash blows out the wall, as well as reflecting light onto the back of the glasses.

Hi Graham, A great image there cant fault it :clap:

Cheers Craig. (y)

Thanks Judi,

Week 20 - Numbers

Feeling the same lack of excitement as others about numbers, plenty of numbers all around, but nothing that seemed "special" enough to stand on its own, I had a similar feeling with letter last year.

[URL='http://i.imgur.com/He1lyX8.jpg']Week 20 - SOOC
[/url]

Back