weekly overbez's 52 in 2014... Week 52 - SUPPORT added... *** FINISHED ***

Thanks Judi - DOF was exaggerated with a blur layer in order to not have all digits visible.

Shape- its all been said Graham, excellent image :clap: the way the shape of the glass gets smaller through the next is great, very well executed (y)

Numbers- again, excellent image, great pp skills, love the small 'light orbs'? :)thinking: can't think of what else to call them) you've added, really adds to the image (y)

love the small 'light orbs'? :)thinking: can't think of what else to call them)

errr... fake lens flares maybe. Cheers Phil, had to do something to try to make a line of numbers more interesting!

errr... fake lens flares maybe.

Fake lens flares!
doh.gif
......... :D

I think you've took a not very interesting subject and made an image that could easily be used as a commercial shot. Bril pp work and composition. Nothing to crit really!

Hi Graham, agree with everything Billy says above :giggle: good commercial image, not your best work though
have to agree not the most exciting theme and I think that shows

Numbers: Nicely done there Graham. A very imaginative idea, well executed. Like the fake lens flare, something I'm partial too myself. I like the use of blur layer you describe, which demonstrates your sound grap of PS and the use thereof to help achieve a desired effect. No crit from me as I appreciate all the subtle techniques you've employed here to bring us this weeks submission. Well done all round (y)

I think you've took a not very interesting subject and made an image that could easily be used as a commercial shot. Bril pp work and composition. Nothing to crit really!

Thanks Adam, a simple clean advert type shot was what I had in mind.
Hi Graham:agree: .....a cool, clean, eye catching shot :)

Thanks Susie
;)
Now that's very nice, cracking angle and a very effective DoF, liking the PP a lot, a great commercial image, no crit from me either Benny :clap:

Cheers DK, angle was in mind from the start, partly to get the depth to allow the DOF to obscure some numbers and also to give some diagonals into the image, text wise, make you realise how hard it is picking words, font, color etc to fit the image and the message.

Hi Graham, agree with everything Billy says above :giggle: good commercial image, not your best work though
have to agree not the most exciting theme and I think that shows

I do agree with you there Allan, I blame the theme. Cheers for your honesty. :)

,...,.which demonstrates your sound grap of PS and the use thereof to help achieve a desired effect. ...,,.... all the subtle techniques you've employed here .............

Cheers Jason, you're right about needing to use a number of very small techniques and tools to build up the required effect. Most of which are really useful in simple day to day editing as well as more elaborate composites.

Graham your "shape" pic is truly excellent.

Don't know what PP trickery may be involved there ... or are they just top quality glasses? (& top quality photography).

Graham your "shape" pic is truly excellent.

Don't know what PP trickery may be involved there ... or are they just top quality glasses? (& top quality photography).

Thankyou David, regards PP trickery on the wine glasses... There is none. :)

Under each of my shots is the image I would have had if I'd taken the jpeg Straight out the camera (SOOC), In developing my shot from the RAW file, I increased contrast and brightness. The only work done "in Photoshop", was just brightening the top area a bit more, dark vignette round the bottom area, and cloning out the tiny hint of the rear glasses from by the top of the stem of the front one.

It's the bounced flash lighting from behind the glasses that does all the work.

Thankyou David, regards PP trickery on the wine glasses... There is none. :)

Under each of my shots is the image I would have had if I'd taken the jpeg Straight out the camera (SOOC), In developing my shot from the RAW file, I increased contrast and brightness. The only work done "in Photoshop", was just brightening the top area a bit more, dark vignette round the bottom area, and cloning out the tiny hint of the rear glasses from by the top of the stem of the front one.

It's the bounced flash lighting from behind the glasses that does all the work.

(y)

HI Graham

Fresh....on theme but not really grabbing me...a little plain by your standards I feel....by the way....why are you "making a step out of the patio doors ":D.......I know exactly what you mean but it doesn't read that way :exit:

Shape.....superb , perfect , eye catching.........not sure what else to add.....love lt love it ,no crit at all :clap::clap:

Numbers.....commercial shot works , but again , pales next to your Shape shot....

Thsnkyou Lynne.

"Fresh".. I was tired.. Very tired. :)

Yeah, theme very open themes can be a struggle.

Well composed and good composite skills. I like the lens flair and the shallow DOF. Might be able to bring out the numbers on PS :)

Cheers.

You do realise those glasses are slightly out of line don't you?

(made you look) :LOL:

They are ace Graham, nice job mate. :D

You do realise those glasses are slightly out of line don't you?
Cheers Brian. At least one of the stems is slightly bent. Was a case of splitting the difference to get the top's and n bottoms looking close to right.

Last edited:
Hi Graham - Numbers I think your lack of excitement shows - its a nice enough image but after all seeing your work all year I think you could do much much better :)

Craig

Cheers Craig. Honesty always appreciated

Hi Graham
Shape - it helps with the typing when all I have to say is brilliant:clap:

Numbers - not as bad as you make out. Good comp with the card pointing towards the light at the end of the tunnel of austerity . Really good colours and PP. The flares add to that sparkle to all that the credit card promises, altho shame that the one in the middle splits the card and the b/g

Action - Well lit action shot. I like #2 as well. Shows even more action and has been well edited.

Mono - I like the simplicity and the central approach on this one

Twisted - I bet you wished that you saved your mono rope shot for this one LOL. Nice idea and composition

Fresh - #1 isn't doing much for me I'm afraid but #2 with the glistening mortar fits the theme better

Shape - I like this one. It's a nice effect and the blending into the white has worked well.

Numbers - Works well and could easily be an advert. A minor niggle are the flare circles which I don't think add anything.

Thanks guys,

@Delta Skies Thanks Peter, you really didnt have to go all the way back, but I do appreciate your comments. (y)
My twisted rope would have worked perfectly for the next weeks theme, maybe there is an advantage to being behind a few weeks... :thinking:
And yep the lens flares on numbers were a bit of a desparate attempt to bring some life to the shot!

Strong, nice summer colours, well composed and good detail. Nice water droplets on the apples.

Doesn't really grab me, thought, maybe I've seen too many similar.

Cheers.

good idea, but I find the highlights a bit off putting. Apart from that, mouth wateringly appealing. :cow:

strong and refreshing by the looks of it. Great image
Cheers Richard - havent opened it yet to find out, but it does look good!

very strong and vibrant colours. Nice strong subject too.
Thanks Si, boosted the colours a slight amount, and then brought down the greens a fair bit, to help boost the reds and oranges relatively.

Strong, nice summer colours, well composed and good detail. Nice water droplets on the apples.

Doesn't really grab me, thought, maybe I've seen too many similar.

Cheers andy, looking back, there have been a few bottles appear for this thread. :)

good idea, but I find the highlights a bit off putting. Apart from that, mouth wateringly appealing. :cow:
Thanks Brian, I was aware of the highlights but went with the natural look. Wet shiny surface in the sunshine is going to be a bit reflective. I'm less bothered by blown highlights than I once was.

Hi Graham, nice colour in there, not to sure of the composition myself, i read your comment above about the highlights, I told you a few weeks ago perfection is overrated (y)

Oh I like everything about the Strong shot. Not sure I'd like the drink tho.

Colour and detail, right down to the water droplets on the grass, I like Graham (y) but, after looking at the sooc, I think it would be a different crop for me to include the full bottle and the apples........:thinking:.....it all just seems a little tight :)

Hi Graham, nice colour in there, not to sure of the composition myself, i read your comment above about the highlights, I told you a few weeks ago perfection is overrated (y)

I'll remember that Allan.... maybe the full shot as posted below might work for you?

Oh I like everything about the Strong shot. Not sure I'd like the drink tho.

Cheers David - not tried it myself yet.. .apparently the record is 6 pints of the stuff!!

Colour and detail, right down to the water droplets on the grass, I like Graham (y) but, after looking at the sooc, I think it would be a different crop for me to include the full bottle and the apples........:thinking:.....it all just seems a little tight :)

Thanks Phil - you'd probably appreciate this one more then..... It was where I was going to go, but changed my mind during the editing..

Back