weekly overbez's 52 in 2014... Week 52 - SUPPORT added... *** FINISHED ***

Thanks Lynne, Craig and Judi.... I also think the tighter crop is more interesting....

Making it easy for everyone, as I'm 2 weeks adrift, I've got them both into one shot! :)

Weeks 22 and 23. Texture and Wild.

SOOC

Last edited:
Hi Graham, nice texture in the wood and nicely cropped for the diagonal, not sure about the "wild" flower element :thinking:
two in one though good effort not sure you will get away with it though :whistle:

Good idea and nice SOOC.

Well composed and vivid colours. Not sure it works, thought. I think if you'd have used a real/dead branch it would have worked better together.

Chests.

Thinking was... Trying to use the texture from a piece of fallen bark, with a favoured composition, juxtaposing the straight lines of the bark with the curved but angled edges of the flower. Placed the flower centrally to add impact.

Does look like @Dark Knight spotted my little cheat and has noted it in red on the spreadsheet ;)

Nice image.

The flower is a good shot as is the texture in the wood but it seems to lack a little something.

And Week 24 - Dream

Possibly going to be a contentious one, as it's a fair way off perfect technically, but it captures the moment when my littlest lad realised that he wasn't going to place in the 40m sprint at Beaver Sports Day.

The frames before this show disbelief that the others were getting ahead of him, turning to determination to catch up, followed by frustration that his legs just wouldn't carry him any faster; to here which I feel really shows him digging in and giving it his all, for which I am so proud of him. The frame after this one shows a much more upset little boy, and was deleted.

Shattered dreams...

Week 24 - SOOC

edit - hand just on the left side removed with a crop. Thanks @Pinkbikerbabe and @Dark Knight

Last edited:
Wild - I love the image of the highland cow nice sharp focusing where it needs to be.

Dream - I love the expression on your boys face I think you captured it beautifully, my only small niggle is the hand showing in the left hand side of the image. Other than that great work and fits the theme for me, feet up and relax for the rest off the week.

HI Graham

2 4 1 week......I keep looking at this trying to decide if I like it or not....& I think it's a yes . I love the textures in the bark against the softness of the petals , the contrasting colors work well as does the composition (y) For me it's the background which jars , too stark n clinical but that may have been what you were intending ?

Wild....yup , on theme,nicely focused with some eye contact (y) However.....he appears to have a tree growing out of his body just behind his lh horn...

Dream....well exposed , well caught action & a lovely determined expression :)

Hi Graham, like the cow nice and sharp and eating holly by the looks of it very wild indeed, not worried by the tree as it is in the wild part of its natural habitat
Brian will be along shortly he likes things of a bovine persuasion if you didn't know :naughty:
Although as you say not technically perfect "dream" captures the moment perfectly :clap: and is what photography is all about, I think we all get a little bogged down with the technicalities sometimes.

my only small niggle is the hand showing in the left hand side of the image.

Thanks, was aware of the hand but felt it showed the other child in the next lane ahead of him, looking back it might be worth removing it. :thinking:

2 4 1 week......I keep looking at this trying to decide if I like it or not....& I think it's a yes . ..................(y) For me it's the background which jars , too stark n clinical but that may have been what you were intending ?

Just you and me liking this one then... ;) I did want a non distracting BG, and tried hard to make it not pure white but with no shadow.

Wild....(y) However.....he appears to have a tree growing out of his body just behind his lh horn...

As Allan says below, he's in a forest... There are trees all around and the dof hints at the distance between the tree and the body. :)

Dream....well exposed , well caught action & a lovely determined expression :)

Thanks Lynne, the range of emotions he went through in that 10 second race really brought a lump to my throat. :)

Hi Graham, like the cow nice and sharp and eating holly by the looks of it very wild indeed, not worried by the tree as it is in the wild part of its natural habitat

Holly indeed, just wrapped his tongue round it and pulled it into his mouth.

Brian will be along shortly he likes things of a bovine persuasion if you didn't know :naughty:

Oh I know.. :cow:.... and cheese......., and balloons....... and bikes with girls names....... Hmm should really tag him rather than talk behind his back. :) @Brian_of_Bozeat

And dream, a monumental shoehorn at best, but photography for me is a way to capture moments that can then be looked back on in the years to come. Digital makes it hard to keep the albums going, as it tends to be done in batches every six months or a year (to get good prices for quantities) but ones like this are the one that will definitely be getting printed and going in. :)

Last edited:
Hey Graham :)

Strong - WOW !!! what a cracking image, love the vivid colours and product placement, perfect DoF, good crop, and the condensation on the bottle and apples is an excellent touch too - can't crit this mate, love it :clap:

<EDIT> - much prefer the crop version

Texture - Nice try... but that's a big fat cheat :LOL

Really like the contrast with the flower, but ignoring it's there, the texture and angle are real nice with the timber, super white background too (y)

Wild - Now that does work very well... excellent detail, perfect framing, a great looking bull, and what a moment to capture - spot on mate :clap:

Dreams - A very touching description Graham, which certainly helps anchor the theme, my only crit is the hand on the left too, a great moment to capture and treasure, good DoF and frozen action :)

Texture - Nice try... but that's a big fat cheat :LOL

Blimey... can't get away with NOTHING round here can you! :)

Dreams - A very touching description Graham, which certainly helps anchor the theme, my only crit is the hand on the left too, a great moment to capture and treasure, good DoF and frozen action :)

Cheers Dean, hand is gone, now the lane lines work better too, and the other boy to the right hopefully still suggests the "race".

Hi Graham,

Texture - I like the angle and the contrast between the two items on the photo. You've grabbed some nice detail there.
Wild - That cow is fantastic, well framed and it seems almost comical really.
Dreams - I like this take on the theme very much. Great action shot and facial expression and well framed too. I like the description you've given too - as a 3 month old father, it's thing like this that I have to look forward to (proudness wise).

Hi Graham....two really super images, a great sharp one of the cow...how does he manage to chew that holly !

I love the one of your little boy, your explanation is touching ....your heart really aches for your children at times doesn't it. I think it's a great action shot and shows such determination there, well done to him. I don't think that shots like that need to be technically perfect, what matters is how proud you felt at that moment.

Last edited:
Love the cow Graham (y) I know its your 'wild' submission, but how much 'texture' must there be eating that holly bush :D

Great shot of your lad, really shows the effort and determination he had :)

Thanks Si, Susie and Phil....

Glad the photo of Charlie in the 40m sprint race has provoked some emotion, it certainly does in me.

Moments like this are a one-chance to capture, and practice is key to having the set-up correct to get something in the split second, and I'm glad I did. :)

Two of my favourite subjects, how could I not make comment! (your tag was completely unnecessary :D)

Highland cattle are so photogenic aren't they! - looks like a young 'un to me. Nice setting and composition, great moment too, just about to chop the holly bush! (yuk lol)

And running! - lovely story that backs up a really good image, nicely done Graham. (y)

Cheers Brian, should have known your sixth sense would draw you in!

Not sure of the gender or age of this one, "they" have introduced them onto the heathland near us, presumably to manage the scrub and undergrowth to allow the larger trees to flourish, and they roam around in small herds, eating as they go.

And for the race, I think it needs the story behind it to give the emotional connection.

Love the "coo"! Not a thing I'd change about the shot... I go overboard with contrast/clarity sometimes and probably would do the same here but your more subtle treatment in post looks great.

Beautiful picture of your little man. Sometimes good photos can just be "good photos", not because they're technically flawless. Lovely!

Strong - A much prefer the original close up image - A great product shot. Composition is spot on. Even the added water sprayed on the apples and bottle makes it stand out that little more than the average shot. The colours are super as well. Makes the subject pop.

Texture - Great shot for SOOC. The composition right into the corner is spot on. A kind of beauty and the beast type shot with the juxtaposition between the flower and the texture of the wood.

Wild - Loving the expression on this beasty. I once tried taking a shot of one of these at 10mm. Needless to say I got a little too close and got poked by those horns.

Dream - Another one with a great expression. Fits the theme nicely. At first I thought the other runner distracted but after returning to it I feel it adds context.

Wild, off, that's a cracker. Lovely greens, nice and close and good detail. Little close to the edge but minor point. Nice.

Dreamy, on theme and nice shallow DOF. I feel a tighter crop might work?

Cheers.

Hi Graham
Wild one ( gettit?) is a good shot technically but somehow the contrast between bark and flower is too much for me.
Wild two - on theme, nice slight twist to the head - just got the horns in! Somehow the shaggy look and droopy eyes also evoke a spirit of a wild night out and penance to eat prickly holly
Dream - action shots don't need to be perfect technically to capture the story and this does it well. I have looked at the face a number of times and a super capture of determination and digging in. Movement too.(y) I would depart from others and say that if the 2 lads either side had been included it would have given even more context to your son's determination and the theme - with your title

As you say, these are the shots that evoke memories down the line. Taken quite a few on holiday and the best for me is one that would win no prizes, it being a shot of grandson with uncle, both backs to the camera, but with uncle holding both hands swinging him at 45 degree angle over breaking waves with all his clothes on. Makes me smile and somehow i will always know when and where it was taken.

Hi Graham,
wild...I love Highland cattle so it has to be a winner for me, like the way you have managed to keep the horns complete yet a nice close crop, shows how tough they are eating holly(y)
dreams... Awww poor little lad, he definitely did his best(y)

Two cracking images there .

The little fella running may not be technically perfect but it is a damn good memory photo (y)

Love the "coo"! Not a thing I'd change about the shot... I go overboard with contrast/clarity sometimes and probably would do the same here but your more subtle treatment in post looks great.

Beautiful picture of your little man. Sometimes good photos can just be "good photos", not because they're technically flawless. Lovely!

Cheers Paul, less is more sometimes... Especially with nature pics I would say too.

Strong - A much prefer the original close up image - A great product shot. Composition is spot on. Even the added water sprayed on the apples and bottle makes it stand out that little more than the average shot. The colours are super as well. Makes the subject pop.

Texture - Great shot for SOOC. The composition right into the corner is spot on. A kind of beauty and the beast type shot with the juxtaposition between the flower and the texture of the wood.

Wild - Loving the expression on this beasty. I once tried taking a shot of one of these at 10mm. Needless to say I got a little too close and got poked by those horns.

Dream - Another one with a great expression. Fits the theme nicely. At first I thought the other runner distracted but after returning to it I feel it adds context.

Cheers Peter, Glad you appreciated the Texture shot - not everyones cup of tea, especially when it hits all the compositional niceties.... think this was the week that started me thinking!

On the cow, I had my 55-300 on, and he was coming (slowly) towards me, I was zooming back and hit 55mm... looked up and he was pretty close! :)

I think it needs someone else in the frame, have one of him in the sack race, on his own, and he's having a great time, but no element of "race" there......

Wild, off, that's a cracker. Lovely greens, nice and close and good detail. Little close to the edge but minor point. Nice.

Dreamy, on theme and nice shallow DOF. I feel a tighter crop might work?

Thanks Andy, the cow was cropped to be tight to the right hand horn, and colours were boosted overall, and then the yellow reduced, (funny how there's often no "green" in grass..)

Don;t think the race can be cropped without loosing the fact there are other runners.

Hi Graham
Wild one ( gettit?) is a good shot technically but somehow the contrast between bark and flower is too much for me.
Wild two - on theme, nice slight twist to the head - just got the horns in! Somehow the shaggy look and droopy eyes also evoke a spirit of a wild night out and penance to eat prickly holly
Dream - action shots don't need to be perfect technically to capture the story and this does it well. I have looked at the face a number of times and a super capture of determination and digging in. Movement too.(y) I would depart from others and say that if the 2 lads either side had been included it would have given even more context to your son's determination and the theme - with your title

As you say, these are the shots that evoke memories down the line. Taken quite a few on holiday and the best for me is one that would win no prizes, it being a shot of grandson with uncle, both backs to the camera, but with uncle holding both hands swinging him at 45 degree angle over breaking waves with all his clothes on. Makes me smile and somehow i will always know when and where it was taken.

Thanks Alan. (y)
Hi Graham,
wild...I love Highland cattle so it has to be a winner for me, like the way you have managed to keep the horns complete yet a nice close crop, shows how tough they are eating holly(y)
dreams... Awww poor little lad, he definitely did his best(y)

Two cracking images there .

The little fella running may not be technically perfect but it is a damn good memory photo (y)

Thankyou Judi and Mark,

Week 25 - Vertical......

Possibly a little obvious one this week..... A 4 shot vertorama, as even at my widest setting, I couldn;t get it all in!

Very little processing, just lovely late evening sun hitting it full in the face!

SOOC shot of the lower section.

Last edited:
A nice shot Graham - plenty of negative space. I'd be quite interested to see what a shot from the opposite side would look like, i.e. in silhouette - it might make the vertical aspect stand out more? Especially if the sun were setting and you had the lovely colours in the background.

But no negatives from me... a good stitching job on the vertorama (what a great word!)

Hi Graham - Wild, love that shot great composition and timing. Dreams - imaginative take on the theme. Shot is well timed although I find the person in the right of the frame distracting. Vertical looks well stitched together and good composition.

Hi Graham, never heard of a Vertorama before you live and learn, first of all very nicely stitched would never have known
certainly the bright sunlight makes the vertical of the church stand out
nicely spotted simple but effective

Hi Graham :)

Vertical - Very nice light indeed, Nice PP/stitching , a descent sky for the shot too, I'm struggling to come up with constructive crit, only thing I can come up with is taking a bit of grey sky off the top... A real good vertical shot, like how you have managed the convergence on such a tall building (y)

Hi Graham :)

Vertical - Very nice light indeed, Nice PP/stitching , a descent sky for the shot too, I'm struggling to come up with constructive crit, only thing I can come up with is taking a bit of grey sky off the top... A real good vertical shot, like how you have managed the convergence on such a tall building (y)
:agree: the verticals have been delt with nicely Graham and theres some nice colour in the sky.

Back