"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Good to see some images from the GM1 T'Bird - especially like the reflection shot.
I'm assuming with the 1/16000 electronic shutter a wide open f1.7 or f1.2 shot would be no issue?

....... and if I'm going to spend north of £1K on such a body, I figure I might as well go back to a DSLR........

This is the mental block I have at the moment - when I first bought into the m43 gear it was comparably well priced when you think of 'bang for buck'. Yes the size and weight is a bonus, and IQ of the P20 or O45 are superb, but at the time cost also factored in my decision.

I bought an E-M5 when they 1st came out at £1149 and the cost didn't sit right compared to all my previous m43 purchases - but I went ahead anyway.

But now with the E-M1 and GH4 bodies getting pricey (and some say a too big for m43) and the pro spec lenses also comparably 'expensive' - it does make you re-consider whether, if size and weight are not *that* much of an issue, you may as well buy a DSLR for the bigger sensor, higher ISO, DoF and focus advantages.

Or maybe it's just me and my fuzzy mentalist opinions :)

I'm not leaving m4/3 altogether, but I am slimming down what I have considerably to fund a DSLR. I'll keep my G6 to use with my legacy lenses - I have a real emotional attachment to that camera :).

The main reason is to get a system again with reliable focus tracking. I have a 2 year old son who is never still, and the m4/3 cameras I have just can't keep up. I've yet to be convinced that the EM1 or GH4 are as reliable yet as traditional PDAF systems at tracking erratic movement particularly coming towards the camera, and if I'm going to spend north of £1K on such a body, I figure I might as well go back to a DSLR. I have other reasons, but they're the main ones.

Simon.

I'm going the other way selling my d7000 and lenses to fund either a GH3 (good price and nice free lens offer) or hopefully a GH4 (better camera but high price at the moment). If you have any pany lenses I might be interested in a swap. I have a 70-300, 50, and 140 kit lens together with sigma
wide and macro.

you may as well buy a DSLR for the bigger sensor, higher ISO, DoF and focus advantages.
Unless you're full frame, you don't get much of a bigger sensor or DoF advantage. And I sold my 5D2 because the focusing was done off sensor and was hit and miss at best. It drove me nuts.

Just on the price of MFT or indeed of other non DSLR systems...

To me it really is comparing apples to oranges. If you want a compact system with nice lenses then CSC is the way IMVHO but if you want whatever advantages a DSLR offer then a DSLR is for you and each option has it's own costs.

Anyway, where's the DSLR+lens combination that can match the compact size and weight of my GX7 or even my G1? The DSLR option doesn't exist And actually I don't think it really exists for even the biggest Panny body+lens combo and then there the advantages CSC lenses have at wide apertures as some DSLR's primes are if we're looking at Canon as that's what I used, well... less than good wide open but I'd happily shoot my two MFT primes wide open. And then there's WYSIWYG and DSLR lens focus micro adjust :D

At the mo I just can't see myself ever wanting to go back to using a modern DSLR and modern DSLR lenses. I'll complain and winge about FBW and light output etc but for me there's just no going back.

Last edited:
I have been gradually changing to M43 from DSLR - my original kit was a D7000 and a bag of lenses and a Fuji X10. I tried M43 with a G5 and then a G6 and currently have a 20 1.7, 14-140 II, and a 100-300. My plan is to part ex all of my original kit to end up with a GH4, and GX7 body and add to my lens with the two Pany 2.8 lens and possibly a macro (currently use a legacy macro with adaptor - not sure I would get better results with a bespoke M43, still thinking this one through). Have a Metz 44 and will probably go the yongnuo route for off camera manual with their new wireless trigger. I think that will suit my currently needs of a light system to carry with me when I need it, more ergonomic system when I need to do more commercial stuff and studio.

I have been gradually changing to M43 from DSLR - my original kit was a D7000 and a bag of lenses and a Fuji X10. I tried M43 with a G5 and then a G6 and currently have a 20 1.7, 14-140 II, and a 100-300. My plan is to part ex all of my original kit to end up with a GH4, and GX7 body and add to my lens with the two Pany 2.8 lens and possibly a macro (currently use a legacy macro with adaptor - not sure I would get better results with a bespoke M43, still thinking this one through). Have a Metz 44 and will probably go the yongnuo route for off camera manual with their new wireless trigger. I think that will suit my currently needs of a light system to carry with me when I need it, more ergonomic system when I need to do more commercial stuff and studio.

If I now didn't need to regularly (continuously) have to take photos of things that move erratically then I might have followed your lead. No point having a wonderful light camera bag if it can't reliably take photos of what you want it to though!

If I now didn't need to regularly (continuously) have to take photos of things that move erratically then I might have followed your lead. No point having a wonderful light camera bag if it can't reliably take photos of what you want it to though!

And equally there's no point having a big fat DSLR and lens combo (which may need MA to every lens you fit to it to get anything like reliable AF) if you never take it out.

And equally there's no point having a big fat DSLR and lens combo (which may need MA to every lens you fit to it to get anything like reliable AF) if you never take it out.

Agreed, but in all my years of DSLR ownership I never once, not once, had to MA a single lens. Maybe I was just lucky. In any event, an ungripped body plus a single walkabout lens isn't a huge weight to carry. Never going to be as light or as small as MFT, but that's a compromise I'm prepared to make. In any event, if I want to travel light, I'll still have a G6 + 14-42mm mk II, so will have the best of both worlds.

Agreed, but in all my years of DSLR ownership I never once, not once, had to MA a single lens.
No.. Just lucky or not a pixel peeper.

No.. Just lucky or not a pixel peeper.

Sorry as that was tongue in cheek from me :D but I believe it's more of an issue with the later cameras. I never had any real focus issues with any of my lenses on my 300D, 10D, 20D or 5D but from what I've read if you look closely it can be an issue these days with the more recent bodies and thinking about how they work I suppose this can't come as too much of a surprise and indeed how a conventional DSLR works is rather barmy if you think about it and the chance of alignment and tolerance issues must be high.

Good to see some images from the GM1 T'Bird - especially like the reflection shot.
I'm assuming with the 1/16000 electronic shutter a wide open f1.7 or f1.2 shot would be no issue?

Haven't tried that yet I've sold my Fuji kit and will be getting an omd em10 and olympus 25mm so will be able to test that lens when it arrives. I've changed from dslr to micro 4/3 twice now and agree that the lenses etc are more expensive compared to dslr but I think it's what's best works for the individual. I was finding that I couldn't be bothered taking the dslr due to the size and weight and having a child and now a puppy I was just using my compact. For me it's just a hobby and I want the fun element so I'm going to stick to micro 4/3.

The gm1 since I've had it goes everywhere it's tiny and the 12-32 lens is pretty impressive. It has it's bad points such as no evf or tilting screen but can be difficult in sunlight but I am more likely to take it with me and gives me better pictures than my compact. With the em10 I can use the same lenses and have an evf so gives me more flexibility and longer exposures as the max on the gm1 is 60 seconds.

Some from the gm1 and oly 40-150 today some shot at 3200 ISO

[IMGLast Import-9 by -Andy D photography-][/IMG]

[IMGLast Import-12 by -Andy D photography-][/IMG]

[IMGLast Import-16 by -Andy D photography-][/IMG]

The EM10 is still 1/4000 max shutter though so theoretically over exposing the shot on a wide open fast prime in bright sun.

That's where, I assume, the GM1 (and EM1, GX7 and EP5 with their 1/8000 max mechanical) will excel.

The EM10 is still 1/4000 max shutter though so theoretically over exposing the shot on a wide open fast prime in bright sun.

That's where, I assume, the GM1 (and EM1, GX7 and EP5 with their 1/8000 max mechanical) will excel.

I have also been lucky with not needing to MA my lenses on any of my cameras, in fact I only looked into how to do it to see how it worked and it confirmed that my lenses were bang on. For sometime I carried a G3 with the 100-300 as my lightweight wildlife option but unfortunately the AF issues drove me back to a heavier option (7D and 100-400). For relatively static subjects the G3 combo was fine but for anything with movement or in low light it really struggled and I ended up missing shots. I still use a CSC for general shots but have given up on them for wildlife (might try again in the future) the only thing I miss about m43s is the Oly 45mm, that is a stunning little lens.

I have also been lucky with not needing to MA my lenses on any of my cameras, in fact I only looked into how to do it to see how it worked and it confirmed that my lenses were bang on. For sometime I carried a G3 with the 100-300 as my lightweight wildlife option but unfortunately the AF issues drove me back to a heavier option (7D and 100-400). For relatively static subjects the G3 combo was fine but for anything with movement or in low light it really struggled and I ended up missing shots. I still use a CSC for general shots but have given up on them for wildlife (might try again in the future) the only thing I miss about m43s is the Oly 45mm, that is a stunning little lens.

It'll be interesting to watch developments. I'm not a sports shooter and indeed I rarely shoot anything that moves but I do take an interest in new kit and I watched and posted a link to a comparison between a top end DSLR (Nikon) and most of the latest crop of CSC's and what they seemed to be saying was that there wasn't as much of a difference as there used to be so it does seem that CSC's are getting there... focus tracking wise...

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/top-end-dslr-v-mirrorless-af-shootout.544073/

For my still shooting my two latest CSC's (GX7 and A7) easily surpass the focus performance of any DSLR I've ever owned particularly in low light as the newer CSC's I have will focus in near darkness way past the point at which my DSLR's gave up (they're slow in near darkness but they get there) but maybe that's not too much of a shock as the newest was a 5D :D

As I said above, considering the way that DSLR's focus which IMVHO is a mad arrangement compared to deciding focus based on the light that hits the imaging sensor CSC's may eventually unquestionably offer superior focus capabilities as I assume any current inferiority in focus tracking is largely down to processing power and programming and we will doubtless see improvements. We live in interesting times and I personally believe that the conventional DSLR will mostly (there may be a niche hold out, Leica style) go digital and that even Canon and Nikon will go down this route at some point in the short to mid term.

Last edited:
I'm with you Alan... With the latest CSCs I don't think there is much in it really....

A shot from this morning followed by a 100% crop. G1+ Minolta MD fit Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro.

As usual for me I can't seem to get my pictures sharp via photobucket. Anyway, it looks nice on my screen and is sharper than as viewed here :D

I love this camera and lens when on a walk for shooting flowers and the like.

Last edited:
Hi all. Quite new to my GH3, and whilst I probably already know the answer to this, are there any proper GPS options for the GH3 (even from a third party) that might plug into the camera, or is it just the IOS / Android app by Panasonic and running logging data then syncing to the camera later?

If so I've tried that and it's eats the battery on my Iphone alive, and the the app seems to have to be active all the time (i.e. just can't press the home button or do anything else on the phone like (shock horror) answer the phone, as it seems to disconnect the logging of the app ?

Quick question as someone looking to move to a G6, will the AF be fast enough to keep up with a toddler running about?

Quick question as someone looking to move to a G6, will the AF be fast enough to keep up with a toddler running about?

In my experience with my (very active) 2 year old son, AF-C won't reliably keep up. If the movement is predominantly across the frame, it'll do ok but if the movement is straight towards the camera and they're running, then it won't give you a high hit rate. As single shot AF is so quick, in good light with high shutter speeds this can work, but again not everytime.

It's for this reason I've recently purchased a DSLR again to make sure I've the best possible chance of capturing never to be repeated opportunities.

In every other way, the G6 is superb. It just doesn't do AF tracking very well or reliably.

Cheers,

Simon.

In my experience with my (very active) 2 year old son, AF-C won't reliably keep up. If the movement is predominantly across the frame, it'll do ok but if the movement is straight towards the camera and they're running, then it won't give you a high hit rate. As single shot AF is so quick, in good light with high shutter speeds this can work, but again not everytime.

It's for this reason I've recently purchased a DSLR again to make sure I've the best possible chance of capturing never to be repeated opportunities.

In every other way, the G6 is superb. It just doesn't do AF tracking very well or reliably.

Cheers,

Simon.

I have an SLR, a D7000 and was wondering except the weight differences if the G6 would perform better. If the AF won't be as good I am not 100% sure I want to make the switch.

G6.. I doubt it. GH4 maybe (with the 12-35 or 35-100)

There are four focus modes on it. The single shot mode struggles. But the aff or c does ok with a quick focusing lens (14mm or 45mm work well for me).

I have a particularly energetic toddler so I just accept that I won't get him in focus every time!

So far it's the only negative point I can find against going for a G6. The smaller size and weight, make it more discrete for using while out and about. Along with the extra features like the WiFi connection and flip out screen are all pluses and from what I can find image and iso quality seems similar specially for my intended photo use and I'm not a pixel peeper.

The touch screen too is great, pinch to zoom in and out etc. It also does a cool thing that you can control focus points on the screen with your right thumb while it is at your eye

I guess as you said in your previous post. Your not going to get every shot in focus, that's something I am willing to accept. Also having a camera that's going to weigh in at under half the weight of what I have now will mean I will carry it around more and not just leave it collecting dust in the cupboard cos it's too much to lug about.

Hi all.
I've not posted on here for a while after getting a itch to try a Fuji. After selling all my m4/3 I got a xe1 and the 35mm and it I was going so well until I got my wife a epl5(I know this is the Panasonic page but its very active). After I snuck out with it over the weekend I'd forgotten how good m4/3 was. So after ordering "her" a 45mm I'm very tempted by either a gx7 or ep5. Just wondering if any body has tried both. I've used a lot of m4/3 over the years (gf1x2,g1,g2,ep3,14mm,20mmx2 and 45mm) so know the menus systems of both. I've not included the DSLR looking models as I like the form factor of the 2 listed.
Thanks
Matt

I have a GF6 and the only negative I have with it is no view finder and no hot shoe for external mic or flash, in ideal conditions the flip and touch screen is great. Picture quality is first class and is light to carry around all day.

Last edited:
I have a GX7 and bought it specifically for the RF layout and built in EVF.

The image quality seems fine and so far all I've used with it is the 20mm f1.7, they seem to be a good match :D and together make quite a compact package :D

Thanks woof woof. I miss my 20mm and have noticed a new model, but only seems to be a cosmetic change and I always thought the focus was a tad on the slow side (not as slow as the Fuji 35mm). I think the old one will have banding issues on the epl as it has the omd sensor that had trouble.

Back