weekly Reanimated 52 - Fit/Water added... 2013 done.

Very interesting take on rustic with your original shot, as has been said a bit hot on one side, but great idea.

Second one hits the theme perfectly too.

Two Kind shots, at somewhat different ends of the spectrum:

Firstly, I thought about kindness and the greatest acts of kindness I'm aware of; and I settled, rather inevitably, on this:

Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire by DrHWest, on Flickr

The other is very much a first draft, as one element of the shot simply didn't work in the location we chose: you basically can't tell that the figures are floating off the ground. So I'll be trying this again in a more open environment.

A Kind Of Magic by DrHWest, on Flickr

This time, the strobes were cranked up on purpose. This was not a shot for subtlety. Again, all lighting done on location with gels.

Grabbed a version in a better location at lunchtime:

A Kind of Magic by DrHWest, on Flickr

And this is a purely personal indulgence: you may or may not know that Ray Harryhausen died this week. The man was responsible for so many indelible images from my childhood that I had to do something to mark it. The image that always comes to mind for me is the end of Jason and the Argonauts, so I knocked off another sketch.

Rest In Peace by DrHWest, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Tony :)

SORRY... just updating the spreadsheet, looks like I'm miles behind with comments, hard to offer crit when this far behind, looking through I love how you are managing to keep up your creativity

Really like how you have lit your Rustic shot, and a good set-up, think I will look into them stands (y)

Also standing out, really like your 'Kind of Magic' images, very effective indeed :clap:

Love your Majic shot and I also Love the Jason & the Argonaughts one.

Not much else I can say really. Keep up the good work! (y)

Great work on the kind image, but I love the RHH shot, especially the two consoling each other on the right :D

Hi Tony

Kind of Magic.....love it , nuff said :clap:

Your 1st Kind image I really don't get ( seems to be recurring theme for me with your stuff....must be my blonde side :LOL: )

Rustic....can't crit the technical side as looks fairly darn spot on to me....from a theme point of view it says more eccentric to me...but then I'm just a simple blond :eek:

You're far from simple :)

The first kind one is based on Oskar Schindler; it's a page from the actual list - and a decent copy of that took some finding - and a ring like the one he was given.

First two goes at vertical: it worked out quite nicely as one of the questions on this year's GCSE Photography exam is shadows so it gives me a chance to play with some set ups. In this case, a new gobo for the snoot I designed and built for one the flash heads to give a tight, vertical strip of light.

Shadows by DrHWest, on Flickr

Where The Shadows Lie by DrHWest, on Flickr

Another one to take on Thursday.

And I swear, I promise, I'll do some commenting on everyone's threads this weekend. Promise.

Swear.

Vertical: what an interesting take on the theme, these are good enough as they are but show great potential for something even more eye catching to come.

Excellent. (y)

Wow mate, just been looking through your webpage and your photos are very creative, lots of thought and work gone into them. Love the setup shots for the electricity theme.

What do you do for a living? Very talented

Been horribly, horribly busy at work this week as the deadlines for coursework loom, so only one shot. To be fair, it was the only idea I had so it worked out quite well that I only had time for one.

Pattern:

Pattern by DrHWest, on Flickr

The toning is designed to match the same palette as Life on Mars and, to an extent, Zodiac and Red Riding.

One of the shots closer:

A Singular Pattern by DrHWest, on Flickr

Very cool as usual! I like how you always put so much effort and thought into your photos

Last edited:
Hi Tony

finally.....2 shots form you that I actually understand :LOL:

Vertical.......#1st image works better for me as you can see slightly more of the eye in the shadow , gives more a whole face feeling without seeing the whole face....not sure that even makes sense but hey ho...I know what I mean :D

Pattern.....Brilliant....as an avid watcher of life on Mars & get the connection , tones really help portray the murkiness of the police investigation...like the multi shot but the lone shot works better as I can concentrate on it better...less tolook at it one way but the detail goes on & on....top work mister...:clap:

WTH :thinking::thinking: missed loads of yours, sorry about that!

Kind #1, hmmm, may have to revisit as I'm not sure of RH connection. I suspect it's obvious. Well composed and processed, just looks a tad dark, maybe how it's supposed to be.

Kind #2, yeah very nice. Well composed but as you say, they could be standing on the floor.

Kind #3, much better. Again, well composed with one of you :thinking: appearing to be winning. Lovely colours and shadows.

Ray Harryhausen tribute, as with so many people working behind the scenes in the film industry I'd not heard the name, but obviously had heard of his films and one of my favourite was Jason and the Argonauts! Cracking photograph produced with great respect.

Vertical, of the 2, it's #1 for me. I order th composition, lighting and look on her face. Great vertical shadow. Crit, never easy with yours, but just the uneven shadow on th LH side,maybe it adds depth:thinking:

Vertical #3, I was going to produce a shadow take but didn't see any decent ones. I had to look but I found the horizontal shadows. Quite an interesting take.

Vertical #4, this might be my favourite. Nice and minimal, liking the processing - b&w would be the obvious choice and I'm glad you resist. I do like the shadows lower left which are slightly blown upper left.

Pattern #1, blooming heck, cracker. Just works well with the bG and detail and colours.

Pattern #2, I might have chosen, nah, you got the right one. Plenty of drama and detail.

Movement, well composed and the owl contrasts well against the clouds. Is there a name for the colouring effect, thought about cross processing or split toning but appear to be neither. Hope your wife recovers soon.

Good show.

Cheers.

Thanks for the Crit, Andy. In the Owl shot, it's a combination of stuff; tons of clarity and a vignette on the clouds, followed by over sharpening on the Owl itself, and then a split tone. I also desaturated the yellow tones in the owl to make the markings darker.

A slightly more traditional take:

The Owls Are Not What They Seem by DrHWest, on Flickr

Thanks for the Crit, Andy. In the Owl shot, it's a combination of stuff; tons of clarity and a vignette on the clouds, followed by over sharpening on the Owl itself, and then a split tone. I also desaturated the yellow tones in the owl to make the markings darker.

A slightly more traditional take:

The Owls Are Not What They Seem by DrHWest, on Flickr

The original is much better.

Appreciate the walk through the owl.

Cheers.

Movement. I prefer the turbines too. Pattern was also a cracker (see what I did there) (y)

Loving pattern - not seen zodiac or life on mars which its apparently based on - would probably make more sense if I had :bonk: but I see the link to the theme and appreciate the work put into this. Only thing, the six shot version doesn;t seem to have a eureka moment as the last shot, the conclusion to the deduction process I think you're trying to show. :thinking:

I actually think the chinese ball has the most potential if it were shot wider - particularly on the letters and the ends of the streamers. although I'm sure there's a good reason why you couldn;t.

but the wind generators is a great shot - lovely movement caught in the blades and sky. Would like to see the third a bit more prominent if this had been possible.

Love the turbines, they look like they should be attached to a spitfire you can almost hear the buzzing of the engines :D

Very atmospheric.

I prefer the ironing board one. Great idea. Perhaps the second board blends into the BG a little too much? never mind, it still works really well. (y)

So many to choose from Tony :thinking:
I do however keep going back to "Yearning" the rocket/moon shot, so, by virtue of that, it gets my vote.
It just seems a clean, fresh image. Composition works well with the leading line of the rocket to the moon.

HI ya

Movement........the owl shots...1st one....totally stunning , very moody cracking angle ...love it :clap: may however be tempted to crop a little from the lhs ?

Fab variety of shots of below but the one that draws me is the Starchaser one.....great angle , almost mono tone...really like the simplicity of this one :clap:

Belows, too many to com nets on so I'll to for Sky above me. Well processed and he text suits the theme. Not keen on the brushes on the RHS.

Cheers.

Hi have far to many to catch up on, but The owl pic is excellent and the shot of the turbines works really well as for below for me the rocket and moon is the stand out image.
you seem to be very keen on photoshop I noticed it while looking through the rest of your thread, some of them must take you ages.

Hi Tony :)

Movement - Very nice, a good sense of gentle movement, love the composition (y)

Below - What a cracking set to choose from... I love the work put into the first, the second shot with the microscope is the weakest for me, The third with the fire is excellent, really like the wording !!! But my fave has to be the fourth with the rocket and moon... Love em :clap:

So many fantastic images I don't know where to start, except, I love your work (y)

Below; great images! You are such a creative photographer, how on earth do you come up with such innovative ideas?

You are all much too kind. There's no real secret to my ideas; if I can't think of anything straight off, I just skim through books - or even quote collections - until I find a concept based on the theme and then think about how to translate that concept into an image.

or the other way is just do what everyone else does and keep my eyes open for the week :)

The bottle works for me, like the processing and of course everyone knows the subject matter, excellent :clap:

Back