weekly Richard, 52 week - Change added

Hi Richard :)

Yum - A lovely bright image, feel a deeper DoF would benifit here, I presume you focus was just meant to be the middle cake, but the closest one distracts a bit to me,, but some great detail there :)

Loud - Really like your DoF here, my eyes go to the headphones instantly, like it :)

Rich - Perfect subject, well lit but the background is way too intrusive for me, other than a narrower DoF was moving possible ???

Half - Again well lit, on theme but not that keen on this one, sorry, I think its the crop/background minimal interest capturing my eye :)

Architecture - Some cracking colours here, a nice building well captured, looks much better in this low light I should think rather than the day time !!!

Architectural ... an extraordinary image, perfect dimensions, detail, colour ...

... would have liked to see a little more at the bottom ie to see those trees connecting with the ground.

Was just scrolling through the photos thread and your architectural shot really caught mi eye Richard. :)

Excellent, love the colours, detail, I even like the trees in front :D great image, I love it :clap: (y)

Architectural ... an extraordinary image, perfect dimensions, detail, colour ...

... would have liked to see a little more at the bottom ie to see those trees connecting with the ground.
-- Problem was there are some football pitches in the foreground so they blocked the bottom of the trees

Week 32 Promise. I normally steer clear of wedding photography but got persuaded to do one recently. Anyway this seemed to fit the theme of Promise.
Promise by richardj.gill, on Flickr

Hi Richard

Perfect image for Promise.....well exposed , great DOF & perfect focus.....:clap:

Half..like the idea but the lhs bg lets it down....would it be possible to crop in closer the clone the stone work in ?

Architectural....I love blue hour shots & this one really hits the spot plenty of detail , sharp, straight & some great colors going on :clap:

Promise, well composed, etc, but it's the eye contact/smiles that really set it off.

Sharp, good idea, but IMO, to added flare is a little too prominent.

Pure, good product photograph with nice monition blur. There seems to a little red hue to the white BG.

Cheers.

Promise - A nice wedding shot, great timing for the theme with the signing of the register, not the prettiest of backgrounds but the couples faces pull me away from that so no biggie :)

Sharp - Hmmmm a bit torn here, that knife looks damn sharp as it is, not sure it needs the starburst, liking the angle and the DoF suits well too (y)

Pure - Good idea, nicely set up, like the falling fruit and the shadows on the front ones, nice white background too (y)

Sharp - Hmmmm a bit torn here, that knife looks damn sharp as it is, not sure it needs the starburst, liking the angle and the DoF suits well too (y)

Thanks DK - wanted to add the starburst for my own benefit - practise in Photoshop. However just seen this week's them of sparkle so maybe should have saved it for that!!

Promise, well composed, etc, but it's the eye contact/smiles that really set it off.

Sharp, good idea, but IMO, to added flare is a little too prominent.

Pure, good product photograph with nice monition blur. There seems to a little red hue to the white BG.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. I agree I thnk the starburst is too prominent I should have reduced the opacity some more. Probably need to boot the exposure of the bg on pure to get it back to white too. Thanks for the feedback.

Great wedding shot there, sparkly eyes ;) and beautiful smiles from them both. Nowt wrong with that for me.

The knife looks plenty sharp to me, nice composition and shallow DOF, :clap: for going with the starburst although not 100% sure the effect is exactly right, does give it a nice sparkle too ;) :LOL:. BG could be a bit blacker too??

Yoghurt is a good set up shot, all the required elements working well, nothing unnecessary included either, like the movement on the falling ones but agree there is a bit of pink in the BG

Hi, really nice pic of the happy couple, perfect for the theme, with everyone else regarding sharp not sure if it needs the starburst :thinking:
Pure the edges of the box seems slightly tatty and the BG has been pointed out already, would have liked to see the fruit in focus too as it is a product shot I feel it needs to be really crisp

Hi Richard... time for me to catch up on everyone else's photos (at least those who've commented on mine at some point!)

Promise - what a super shot for the theme... couldn't be more "on message"! Nice photo and as others have mentioned, great eye contact and expressions (probably helps that they're very, very happy!) and you've done very well to fill in the fairly hard lighting coming from their right (our left). The only thing which is a tiny shame - and over which you almost certainly had little control - is the (very nice) flower arrangement growing out of the groom's head!

Sharp - again, totally on-theme, without a doubt. The black background could look a tad blacker on my monitor and the starburst is a good experiment and one perhaps to tone down very slightly if repeated? Focus, detail, DOF and exposure (bar the background) all spot on. Composition ideal, too.

Pure - nice imaginative take and again you've got a good mind for the themes. Well composed product shot and only crit is front raspberries need to be in focus for me. I do like the motion of the falling raspberries - really well taken! I'm rubbish at setting my white balance so I'm not going to crit your background here!

Some good shots there...

Hi Richard

Sharp looks very sharp to me , nice angle & plenty of detail in the blade :clap: I like the sparkle you've added but maybe a smidge to big ? Background works for me as grey but would really pop if it was black .

Pure...all's been said , I like the sharpness & product shot feel, torn over the fruit as I like the motion blur but wonder if they should be sharp:thinking: I see the same pinky tones Andy does in the bg

Promise - looks like a lovely shot, I don't know anything about wedding photography, I think it fits the theme nicely for me.

Sharp - fits the theme and a nice simple take for the theme, I like the star burst at the end of the knife.

Pure - nice take for the theme, and a great product shot. My only crit is the background needs to be whiter.

Loud - That looks like a scene from our house. Teenager with computers and screens so definitely fits the theme for me. Well lit and DoF just right

Rich - Again well lit. I feel the background doesn't fit the foreground - it should be in a tea room like Betty's

Skill - Super image and super sharp. You can see the veins and muscles in the horses. Very well caught indeed

Half - Nice idea to fit the theme. I live in Leeds so we're used to having half a team here LOL

Architectural - A well exposed record shot of what looks like an interesting building. Well done for squaring it up in the frame

Promise - Spot on for the theme. Nicely exposed image with the happy couple looking exactly that....happy. Given you are shooting towards a window you've managed the exposure really well

Sharp - Forgive the pun but this looks a little cut out around the edges. It definitely says sharp though.

Pure - Good composition although I feel the raspberries at the front need to be in focus. There's a hint of a reflected shine on the box which might have been worth trying to prevent in camera as it would be difficult to remove in PP. Good advertising style shot though.

Hi Richard

Don't know where to start so I'll start catching up with your latest catchup.

Sparkle: decadent ... I love the lighting and the cool messiness of it all.

Fall: quite beautiful ... the colour range in that BG works really well. (would like to know how it's done)

Communicate: clever, neat idea well executed.

Dark: it's pitch black in the middle there.

Sparkle - not sure about the condensation/spattering on the front glass, I would have preferred a cleaner image with more focus on the bubbles.
Fall - lovely colours and a nice selection of shapes.
Communicate - a phone box filled with books! Great, original idea for the theme (y)
Dark - very! I love the detail in the foreground and the way you get drawn towards the end of the tunnel.:clap:

Hi Richard ....really liking all of these ..... agree with d00d on Sparkle, and also on Fall ....an unusual composition and really eye catching colours in that one. Love the round phonebox book shop with the vibrant red against the black, and the dark tunnel ....another perfect choice for the theme.

Hi Richard

Sparkle...liking that a lot , beautifully sharp on the glasses, plenty of sparkle, like the water on the base...could see it printed on high gloss acrylic in a classy wine bar :clap: I do have 2 slight niggles.......not really sure the water going in to the glass is adding anything though I kinda see why you left it in ......the lighting on the glasses is perfect ( to me) but not sure about the background, think I'd prefer it to be totally black ?

Fall....like the colors but unsure on the image overall...not real point of interest , the log on the left seems a little out of place :thinking:

Communicate...fab , no crit but would love to know how you did this ?

Dark...love how your eye get's led to the light at the end of the tunnel ,cracking detail on the left hand wall (y) but the right hand wall looks like it's been "solarised" in pp ?

Sparkle - very fitting for the theme, good composition.

Fall - nice take for the theme, my on,y crit is I find the bit of green in the bottom rhs of the image a bit distracting.

Communicate - interesting take on the theme I like it.

Dark - fits the bill nicely, nice and dark in that tunnel.

Sparkle - Good idea for the theme. I feel the messy surface and background let it down somewhat. The moisture drops on the top of the glass work though.

Fall - Nice bright colours (maybe the green a little too much?) which captures the essence of the season

Communicate - Great one and fabulous use of a fish eye. The lovely saturated reds in this really work well and accentuates the location nicely

Dark - Definitely says dark although I feel is maybe too contrast for me (just my taste possibly). The eye is drawn down the tunnel and you can;t help but wonder what's on the other side.

Hi Richard

Communicate...fab , no crit but would love to know how you did this ?

Dark...love how your eye get's led to the light at the end of the tunnel ,cracking detail on the left hand wall (y) but the right hand wall looks like it's been "solarised" in pp ?

Nothing that clever about my communicate - its a genuine phone box that someone has turned into a local library/ info centre. Taken with a fish eye lens (8mm Sigma).
You are right about dark I pushed the clarity levels in LR5 a bit too far.

A very atmospheric shot Richard - Fountains Abbey is somewhere I've wanted to visit for ages but never quite got around to it. I quite liked the starburst of the floodlight in the first shot!

Hiya Richard,

Some great images added since last time I visited (y) Love the fish eye phone box book library :clap:

Fountains Abbey is a cracker (y)....with or without the flood light..:thinking:......without I think, but its a close call for me.

I've never been and hadn't realised it was so close to Brimham Rocks :banghead: .......but I've added it to mi list of 'places of interest' :)

Fountains Abbey - cracking place and great for photography, though never been there when it's getting/dark.

Good high vantage point, lovely light and good depth.

Crit, well none really but I do like a nice clean image but unless @Dark Knight will lend you his pruner, maybe there was no way to avoid getting them in frame.

Cheers.

Sparkle - Not a bad idea, but feel it would have worked better without the splashes on the wall etc. the glisten on the glasses and work surface is very nice though :)

Fall - Not very natural looking image but lovely autumn/fall colours throughout :)

Communicate - Very interesting image, unsure if the communicate is by the written word/books or the old use of the phone box, either way, nice image :)

Dark - Sure is... I'd like to see this as portrait so that the dark was framed from above too, like your thinking on this one

Big - Feel this works for both Dark or a shot for Big - Liking the PoV and the glow of the lights, certainly a nice large Abbey and a nice twilight shot so works okay on both :)

Hi Richard - some crackers again from you and some great ideas.

Sparkle - More formulaic perhaps, but you've executed it well. I like the lighting, POV and background - basically just a very good shot (y)

Fall - an interesting composite and I like the colour combination. Not your strongest, but it's get through that theme and onto the next one :)

Communicate - I really like that as it's just such a different take. Clever and well shot. (y)

Dark - well it is! I feel that as an image some detail has been lost through it being too dark, but I know why you've done that for the theme. Good take, well positioned within the frame and I do like that it has a way out at the other end.

Big - lovely light and colours... great time to shoot that. Apart from losing a slice of sky, nothing I'd change on that - really nicely taken image.

Cut - super thinking and definitely made me smile. Candles (in the measuring jug??) are a nice touch. Lighting is effective and well chosen - just another great image, well done! :clap:

Hi Richard ...super shots of the Abbey ...I like the first with the floodlight.

Great idea for cut ... all the relevant points perfectly highlighted on the card. The addition of the candle (in a candle holder I think?) really makes it....a very original choice for the theme.

Love the use of the fish eye for the phone box in communicate. Very striking image.

Great use of light in your last for cut. Candle is a super touch.
Would turning the measuring jug :LOL: a tiny bit clockwise give a better 'reflection' on that lhs? Minor point.

Hi, time is short, I'm afraid...:(

Cut, been there...:)

It's has potential, but, seems to lack something....what that something is I can't say at the moment :beer:

Cheers.

Back