weekly SiblingChris' 52 in 2014 (Week 21 and 22 added)

I like those two steps pics especially the second one.

And those strings are sharp.

Hi chris,
welcome back :)

nice colours in your swirl :)
Linked.. #3 nice link :)
Steps #2 love the way the cycle leads the eye in :)
Nature... #1 for me I like the stronger colours :)
Action.. not sure about that one, bit of a crowbar one for me
Mono... Like this one, simple and effective :)

seeing all those weeks togerther at once creates a fairly eclectic set Chris - I realise they not meant to be viewed like that but shows a good variety of styles and subjects and processing! (y)

swirls, the cables and the chain all on theme......

then it seems a bit of an HDR adventure for you, :) I have no issue with this, but in the linked - 3 version, have you taken it from 3 exposures hence staggered movement of the vehicles?, This looks like a scene you could easily get all detail from a single RAW, processing at +2 and -2, as well as the 0 exposure?
Also the door and the bike works well enough for colour, just a little too much local contrast / sharpening there for me.

on the blossoms, second shot is my preferred, and the softer "dreamier" edit preferred of the two edits. Think the muted colous and lower contrast work better with the delicateness of the flowers.

Never had a clue that action was a technical term in music, so you were right to include the link - great idea... maybe a steel rule would have been more suited than the blue plastic? But sometimes you have to use what you have I know!

nice comp and perspective on the underground shot too - nice passenger interest too. (y)

Last edited:
then it seems a bit of an HDR adventure for you, :) I have no issue with this, but in the linked - 3 version, have you taken it from 3 exposures hence staggered movement of the vehicles?, This looks like a scene you could easily get all detail from a single RAW, processing at +2 and -2, as well as the 0 exposure?

that's a good shout, it didn't even occur to me to do that to be honest, but on the other hand I liked the blurring on the vehicles as I thought it gave a sense of movement. I was however unsure to whether even bother posting that shot as I wasn't personally that happy with it, and had the other two in the bag.

Also the door and the bike works well enough for colour, just a little too much local contrast / sharpening there for me.

sharpening I agree. I actually used a trial HDR program and its output was not a very high quality jpeg and it introduced a significant amount of artefacts. In fact I since had to go over the one with the bridge/road in photoshop to smooth them out.

HDR is certainly something I find of interest but on the other hand don;t want to over-do, I just bought Photomatix Pro at the weekend so will inevitably be using it again hopefully without any of the low res and sharpening issues.

In fact I might well re-do the 3 HDR images altogether when I get a bit of time.

... maybe a steel rule would have been more suited than the blue plastic? But sometimes you have to use what you have I know!
I actually did have a steel rule, but reflection-wise with the flash the blue tinted plastic was easier to deal with. A white ruler might have been better perhaps...

Thanks for taking time to comment.

Last edited:
HI, big catch up well done for that
Steps, love the colour in both of them
nature, of the three the first one works for me
action, I get it, but I can see why others don't, but as far as thats concerned i think its up to them to figure it out
mono nice enough pic though a little loose with the theme, but we are all guilty with that

nice catch up(y)

DAMN - Now thats a catch up !!!!

Will pop back in the next week or 2 to comment more in full as now in late and off to kip soon....

Of the shots put up, love the colours in the blossom shots... Some good detail and colour again in swirl... and an interesting idea for Action, again good fine detail but buggered if I can see the link with my tired brain :D

Again - Super Catch up :clap:

Last edited:
I have the exact same red pencil and had the same idea as the first shot! good jobs I also had another idea ;). I like them all, nice colours and very well lit. As for picking one, its between the first two but I cant decide which! the reason I say that is the ends of the pencil have been included in the shot and I think that's better as it makes for a more interesting pic. (how's he got pencils in that position.....:thinking:) good job and worth the investment!

HI Chris..

Just spotted those shots & went " HUH...how'd he do that then ":thinking: Brilliant pencils......wanna get some of those for sure ! #1 for me....2 colors that work perfectly together , sharp & just enough of centre .The end of the pencil with the rubber on really seems to jump out of the frame :clap:.....minor little crit....maybe clone out the 2 hotspots ?

Hi, great pencils had me confused when I saw them first, 2nd one for me (y)

HI Chris..

Just spotted those shots & went " HUH...how'd he do that then ":thinking: Brilliant pencils......wanna get some of those for sure ! #1 for me....2 colors that work perfectly together , sharp & just enough of centre .The end of the pencil with the rubber on really seems to jump out of the frame :clap:.....minor little crit....maybe clone out the 2 hotspots ?

:ty:Your wish is my command!

Great work on twisted Chris (y)
I love them all, the vibrant colours, composition and lighting all spot on for me.
Minor crit, on the last one, I feel the negative space above doesn't really add anything I'd have gone for a really tight crop, but thats personal taste.

All round good work.

Well done on your massive catch up liking nature - the pastel pinks of the blossom I really like.

Mono - great for the theme and I like the composition and the dark and moody feel to the image.

Twisted - very fitting for the theme and nice bright vibrant colours. Superb work well done

OK, so I wouldn't normally do this, but I decided to do fresh and shape using my mobile phone. I have been relatively impressed with my Samsung S4 for photos and thought "why not?"....

First up is fresh as a daisy - yes I know its not exactly original. the DoF is natural out of the phone, I did tweak contrast and levels a little, plus cropped and removed an iffy looking daisy top right, but that's pretty much it.

Week 18 - Fresh
by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

And next up is Shape

I was at a wedding and this happened to be my name place doodah at the reception. I've processed this and made a negative image of it...so the black areas are the paper/card and the textured areas the table cloth underneath.

I am guessing someone will say I cropped it a little too tightly and I would not disagree but holding the mobile by hand it was very difficult to hold straight on, so some perspective corrections where need to make the thing look straight and this rather constrained the crop as a result. I didn't;t have the patience to copy and paste more of the table cloth ands get it all lined up to create more space at the sides...however if anyone knows of any not so time consuming way of doing that I'm all ears!

Week 19 - Shape

Last edited:
Hi, like the daisy pic, very good for a phone, its all been said about shape so I wont go on

Hi Chris

Fresh......well exposed with good whites & yellow but the oof ones at the front niggle me

Shape ...no crit from me , I think the close crop works well , sharp, interesting detail that keeps me looking......well spotted & bloomin amazing for a phone shot :clap:

Freshly on theme and nice lighting. Good low angle. My eye is drawn to the OOF front daisey.

Shape. Good detail and the B&w works well. Seems to be a little haloing on the lower left.

Cheers.

well I've had a few images sitting in my camera a while that I hope to get sorted over the weekend. So right now I'm a few weeks behind....again :(

anyway here is numbers. I took a few different shots of house numbers, my old calculator, remote control but this for me was the pick of the bunch
I have to be fair pushed up the vibrancy on the luminous hands....but this watch glows for England!

Week 20 - Numbers

Very good product shot, nice and crisp, I really like the movement in the second hand it takes it from a picture of a watch to a photograph (y) IMHO

Hi nice enough product shot of a watch as cowboy above stated, not really doing much for me though sorry

Swirl - I was trying to work out what this was and then realised it's a pearl inlay around the sound hole of a guitar. Some nice colours in there.

Linked - I prefer the chains out of these two. The mono conversion really brings out the metallic feel to this

Step - Compositionally I really like #2 with the eye being drawn up the alley. I just find the HDR effect just a little too overdone for me tastes

Nature - #1 is my favourite here. The contrast of blue against the pink works well

Action - Good shot and good thinking for this one. The lighting is really nice on this.

Mono - Looks like you've dealt with the low light conditions really well on this one. I like the line into the corner

Twisted - Great idea. I like #1 - It almost reminds my of a treble clef in music.

Fresh - Plenty of daisies to look at although I feel I'd like one to be the centre of the attention

Shape - As you guessed I'm going to say that it's been cropped too closely

Number – At first I felt this was a touch on the dark side and then I realised the hands and dots are fluorescent. Nicely composed.

Here is strong...given a choice I wouldn't be on "instant" but it worked for the photo
I messed around with the lighting on this on and off camera for a while until I got something I was happy with and minimum reflections
....and upon reflection (ahem), probably the mug could have done with being more to the left, but I was trying not to have it central and allow more space for the spoon - anyway, you lot can pick at it now! ;)

Week 21 - Strong

and then week 22 texture. I had various opportunities for this on a walk down High Force...moss and rock mostly
This is the one I preferred although I am no overly fond of the crop - I toyed with the idea of getting closer, but thought the graffiti then detracted from the theme a bit.

Week 22 - Texture by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like texture although I wonder if it could do with something to help it convey more of a story. If I'm honest, I see it and think "I'd like to climb up that"... maybe a different perspective to show how useful the texture could be?

Nice detail though.

I love strong - really nicely lit and a good capture of the movement. Really crisp and made me smile! Great take on the theme - bravo!

Last edited:
Back