weekly Stuart Pearson's 52 for 2023 - Week 31 - Abandoned

Good set to catch up with. I particularly like the transparent shot... really effective and great colour.

A fine collection of knobs, and a very thorough explanation.

Excellent shot for, transparent light and composition spot on.

Fascinating for knobs. Posted image is nicely straightened and interesting to look at.

Despite your interesting explanatory paragraph, I'm still not sure what it is all for.. A radio?? :D

Good shot - like the graffiti and the shadowy figure at the end of the shadowed walkway is quite foreboding. Very nicely done.

Very colourful, only 3 spare lids you are lucky. Have suggested we get rid of all our spare lids and tubs and the reply was o_O

That stands out. Nice colour and interesting viewpoint

Week 9 - Broken

After I inadvertently broke a glass it was retained for the theme! The shadow of the glass is being projected by a torch with a Mount board behind the glass. I was able to make the first use of my 3D printed "Mount Board Stand" which saved me trying to work out what to use to hold up a background.

Smashed
by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

This is the current version of the stand.

B212760B-7532-49F8-81C9-CFA893AE55D9.jpeg

Good use of the 3D printer! I like the thought behind the image and it has a real antique/vintage look about it - I wonder how it might look in a sepia tone. Nice job.

Good use of the 3D printer! I like the thought behind the image and it has a real antique/vintage look about it - I wonder how it might look in a sepia tone. Nice job.
Thanks for the suggestion, I wasn't 100% happy with the more blue tone and did look at it in mono. Tried a quick sepia type adjustment in Affinity Photo on my iPad using an HSL layer and it does look better.

276ADB46-5FF2-4060-9A60-803287260125.jpeg

Nice. Think the blue suits. Like the speckles in the background and the shadow of the broken edge comes through nicely.

Week 10 - Full

Spent Saturday afternoon at the Scottish Tattoo Convention in Edinburgh, I'm a fan of the art and have some ink (full and partial sleeves). This was the only person at the convention getting tattooed by two artists at the same time.

Full Leg Tattoo

Interesting shot Stuart!

Great interpertation of the theme. Caught the intense concentration of the two artists really well.

Excellent shot for pattern, no idea how you did it but it reminds me of something from the 60's!:)

Excellent shot for pattern, no idea how you did it but it reminds me of something from the 60's!:)
Thanks, it's an iPad screen at full brightness used as a light box with the colour gels used for flashes randomly placed on it, here is one of the wider shots that show how it was done. The phone is used to raise the height of any gel that is hanging off at one side otherwise it would not lie flat.
8B61B012-7747-4064-A567-4C90B87A303B.jpeg

My original idea was creating something with subtractive colour but the end result wasn't what I wanted. Here is one of the better efforts at it.

1D46C162-C7EF-45FC-B17C-1819AD1B96CE.jpeg

I am shining three separate light sources (red, green and blue) at my hand.

I think that is outstandingly creative, I would never of thought of something like that.

Hey Stuart

Bit of a comment catch up on your photos too :)

Letters - That's an interesting tow path, looks like an addition, a bit like the new one they've put in at Barnes Bridge.
I find the architecture more interesting than the graffiti on this occasion, because it's just tagging, not art.

Kitchen - One I've still to do. It's certainly colourful.

Broken - What is the effect used to give the grain like look?

Full - I like ink too, though never had anything done to me, but I do appreciate the art.
That's sort of a reportage shot, documenting the work.

Pattern - That's clever, using gels on a lit background.

Broken - What is the effect used to give the grain like look?
The broken glass is being effectively projected on to a standard photography Mount board, it has a textured design to it that is likely being accentuated by the torch supplying the light source.

Full - I like ink too, though never had anything done to me, but I do appreciate the art.
That's sort of a reportage shot, documenting the work.
I agree it's reportage style, you can see lots more tattoo artists in action on my account at:
Instagram - nevertattoomuch

Last edited:
Great idea for Pattern, it has a real pop-art feel to it, I like it.

Week 11 - Tunnel

This is the Falkirk Tunnel.

The Falkirk Tunnel, located just behind Falkirk High Station, was created nearly 200 years ago and was originally used for transporting coal, today it carries the Union Canal beneath Prospect Hill in Falkirk and connects Falkirk to the heart of Edinburgh. The Falkirk Tunnel is 630 meters long, 18ft-wide, 19ft-high and has a 5ft-wide towpath. See https://www.visitfalkirk.com/things-to-do/heritage/falkirk-tunnel/ for more info.

Falkirk Tunnel

Little bit of shake there but it is dark so I'll let you off :)

A canal tunnel with a towpath - not come across one before. Nicely photographed!

Great shot Stuart. If I wasn't so lazy it's where I first though to go for the tunnel shot,

Week 13 - Spring

A walk in the local park on Easter Sunday spotting the flowers in bloom. Mainly daffodils, there is a wild planting area that's not yet flowering that is great to look at and teeming with insects. I was using my Panasonic GX8 micro fours third camera with a 42.5mm prime lens. I've gone with the image that is not a daffodil and has more than one flower.

A walk in the park

Here is one of the more interesting two tone daffodils that I also considered, was it the right choice?

420A7E05-64D4-4CC3-866F-00DFD5ECF59F.jpeg

I also captured a bug on this daffodil.

AE8771C4-B66E-48FD-85B6-B07C637CD8EB.jpeg

The tulip is definitely the one for me Stuart. Nice and sharp with softness in the background.
Daffs are nice and bright but not quite all in focus and the bug in the bottom one is a bit distracting

Like the tunnel shot and the back ground info, nice tulip but that bug

Interesting tunnel shot. The tulip would be my chosen shot too.

Week 14 - Smooth

i was really struggling to get something for this theme, only managing at the end of the Tennents brewery tour in Glasgow yesterday as part of a family birthday celebration. This is a pint straight from the tank which everyone taking part enjoyed, that was the start of the alcohol consumption which continued with more beer, and cocktails!!

sTraighT from The Tank

Nice light & frothy shadow there, not had a pint of tennents for ages

Back