Week 47 -
Week 48 -
Week 49 -
Week 50 -
Week 51 -
Week 52 -

Last edited:
Week 1 - Your Area

And we are off and running! Can't guarantee the submissions will improve over this edited photo for week 1, quite pleased with how it turned out. Edited in Affinity Photo IPad app with extensive use of the "lighting filter" for the street lights.

Earl Of Zetland by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

The "Earl Of Zetland" was a local Wetherspoons pub converted from a church which was popular in the town, however the spiralling maintenance costs for the building upkeep resulted in its closure.

Here is the original unedited photo taken on my Panasonic TZ30 compact camera.

70539995-2019-4BA3-8F99-B1F981A03104.jpeg

Last edited:
I think that is superb, you have set yourself a high standard to maintain Top shot and excellent processing.

What wonderful, moody shot Stuart, very gothic.

Wow, quite a transformation! Thanks for sharing the backstory.

Given the starting shot, hats off for the processing. It's a very atmospheric image.

Certainly an improvement over the original, very atmospheric.

Great edit - really transformed it into an atmospheric "Jack the ripper" type feeling!

I included all the unedited shots in my last 52 - it's really useful if you do like to have an edit. And also to prove when you get it right in camera.

Nice and moody.

What a lovely mysterious eerie photo. Can visualise this in a gangster film or as an illicit rendezvous. So different from the original, just shows what you can do with a little imagination and photo editing. However one little minor detail which is distracting me a bit. You know when you spot something you keep seeing it? Between the 2nd and 3rd spire there is a little black dust spot I think that needs cloning. It is a lot fainter on the original image. Well done.

Between the 2nd and 3rd spire there is a little black dust spot I think that needs cloning. It is a lot fainter on the original image. Well done.
Thanks for the feedback and your keen eye spotting the anomaly, you are right once you see something you can't unsee it, I'm surprised though you didn't see where my masking on the sky is missing where it touches the church, there is two triangular areas that are not dark.

follow up: just looked at the main image, it is not a dust spot it's a bird, although at that size it's as well not being there.

C648EBE3-BDB7-4792-9CF9-01131A290160.png

Last edited:
Week 2 - Incomplete

For Christmas I received another "Stuart" minion to add to my collection. This time in the form of a 3D puzzle, unlike the extensive editing for week 1 this has had very minor adjustments.

The missing piece
by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

I did have another image in mind but I will keep you intrigued by saying I couldn't photograph my concept as I did not find the wiring diagram for the circuit board. Maybe if I find the info it will make an appearance in a later week.

Can't fault that. Nice bright colours, well lit, giving definition to the edges of the pieces, interesting seeing the reverse of the pieces on the inside of the model.

One in a Minion - nice one :)

interesting seeing the reverse of the pieces on the inside of the model.
Thanks, if you look closely through the gap you will see the pieces have numbers on the back, although I didn't you can actually "cheat" in completing it as each piece lists its adjoining pieces.

Great capture Stuart. The puzzle itself is really cool.

Week 3 - Artificial

In my head I was seeing more obvious transitions between the three colours, didn't fully achieve the concept but did manage it to a degree. The blue and red light sources are Tapo (TP-Link) WiFi controlled RGB bulbs. The green source is an Ulanzi VL49 mini RGB light.

Colour Theory

Here is the behind the scenes, I have my camera mounted upside down on a tripod over a mount board with the lights around it.

D611C7C8-566B-4B59-9B8C-4FF331D06C8B.jpeg

I did try various permutations with the lights but this was the best configuration and was used for the theme image.

Cracking submission Stuart. I'm not sure a starker transition would improve the image. You have the Red Green and Blue in the three "corners" and the blend and merge through each is the point is it not?

The pull-back set-up shot is, very much appreciated. Nice work.

Cracking submission Stuart. I'm not sure a starker transition would improve the image. You have the Red Green and Blue in the three "corners" and the blend and merge through each is the point is it not?

The pull-back set-up shot is, very much appreciated. Nice work.
Thanks, I was for some reason thinking of constrained bands of colour which given the dispersion properties of light was never going to happen. It was likely my initial understanding was flawed so it was a worthwhile exercise. Interestingly the red always seemed at a higher intensity level than the blue, maybe my eyesight was a factor in that.

Looks good to me and a very inventive take on the theme.

Week 4 - Transparent

A while since I've been on the site, probably due to the new gadget I've been getting my head round, a 3D printer. Although not long after getting it, throwing out the window was an option when trying to get it working right! I see it being a complement to photography in that I can create aids that will help. However in this instance the 3D print is the photo content, the saxophone shape and letters have been placed in the base of an old Ferrero Roche box after a initial ice layer was created.

Cool Jazz by Stuart Pearson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Week 5 - Snappers Choice

This was taken during a walk along the side of the Forth & Clyde Canal near Dalmuir, Glasgow. I only had my fisheye on tbe camera during the week so it has been de-fished in Affinity Photo using the distortion settings. Looking at it now there was probably a better image through the middle of the remainder of the tree sides, I think I did consider it the time but the composition wasn't working with that lens.

I'm Still Standing

Jazz is really nice for transparent - love the little bubbles and crystals forming. Great colour too

Week 6 - Knob(s)

The railways have long been pioneers in the communications field from their inception with the need to move increasing amounts of information from one location to another. With cable capacity at a premium new methods were developed to combine multiple channels into a single cable. This photo shows part of the monitoring panel and frequency control for the analogue 4Mhz system based on Frequency Division Multiplexing (FDM). The system has a maximum capacity of 960 channels with the basic block of 12 channels defined as a group. 5 groups make up a hyper group and 16 hyper groups make up a system. The basic 12 channel group uses a frequency space of 6 to 108Khz, in one direction it is 6 to 54 and in the other it is 60 to 108. Each of the individual channel allow only a frequency range of 300 to 3400hz through which is still used as the band pass filter nowadays in the digital Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) systems. This is why speech sounds ok but music can be hard to make out as the higher frequencies are removed. The basic PCM group is 30 channels in Europe and named as an E1, with the US having 24 channels and called a T1. The E1 operates at 2.048Mhz and the T1 at 1.544MHz.

It may not surprise you to know there are still the older 12 channel FDM based systems in use today in the UK.
Although the photo itself was easy to take on my iPhone it required post processing in Snapseed to fix the perspective. I only had limited space in from the equipment to capture it, would have been handy to have a digital level on the phone visible at the same time as the scene.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2oktpF1

Last edited:
Back