weekly Superpippo's 52 in 2014 Week 52 - Support added and FINISHED

Hey Alan :)

Fresh - Now I really like this, a good bright fresh image, and Damn that tomato is cut well !!!

At first wasn't sure on the composition with the plate/knife clipped, but a couple of looks later I feel it works well, well lit shot, the red stands out beautifully on the white plate, and a sprig of green stuff too... what a touch, well set up mate (y)

Agree with all the comments about the tomato. Beautifully exposed and really conveys freshness. One very small thing and that is I would have liked to see l the tomato slightly lower down on the plate

Love your idea for bitter and twisted! A lovely clear pint and a touch of humour, what more could anyone want?

That tomato looks really fresh - ripe enough to be a nice bright red, but still firm enough to cut cleanly and it really stands out against the white plate.

Twisted: Man, that title "bitter and twisted" is absolute genius.....and the picture itself is superb too. Like everything about it; Stong composition, considered collection of props so carefully conposed, warm and comforting tones and my real favourite....the little splash of crumbs in the foreground - Now thats what you call attention to detail. Brilliant work Alan (y)

Fresh: Another really pleasing 'foodie' type pic from you. Says fresh to me, loud and clear. Choice of white plate, rich background and twig of basil give this a nice classical feel. Cant fault it on a technical front either - Bright, Sharp, Clean...... and Fresh. Good work (y)

Nice clean image with good vivid reds in the slices contrasting nicely with the green of you sprig :)

I also like the way you've left the pips in.

Thanks Phil - interesting view you have on the crop of the statue - I just thought that I wanted to get it cropped and concentrated on him cos was not sure how the conversion to mono would work with the other elements in the shot.
Crumbs - I begin to think that this Challenge is a last refuge for the OCD homeless:)

So mentioning the tomato seeds and the clipped plate won't help in my defence against not having OCD then Allan :p

Fresh- liking the composition, looks well lit, contrasting bit of greenery is good, actually don't mind the seeds but would have preferred (note I don't/ didn't think I had OCD! :p) to see the whole plate (y)

Hi Alan

Fresh.....nothing wrong with that , sharp , super whites , great color in the tom & leaves , well set out & nicely lit (y) My only minor niggle is the bg....but thats cos I'm not keen on dark wood....................

Nature - Nicely lit image with good use of the third. The stick compliments the flowers well.

Action - Certainly shows action by using it in triptych format. It might benefit from a boost of saturation though

Mono - Nicely converted although there's a bit of a white line around the statue. I was trying to think where and who this was until you said it was in Spain

Twisted - Super idea for the theme and execution on this one. Nice lighting and sharpness. The few crumbs add to it as well.

Fresh - Another nice shot. Good clean image and decent WB. The slices of tomato certainly make it look fresh as does the leaves?

My apologies to you all for the lateness in acknowledging comments. I appreciate the feedback

Hi Alan...looks great for the theme...clean, sharp, and super fresh, at first glance I thought I would like it better without the tomato pips, but I think they just add to the freshness of it all...a simple idea but it looks good.

Thanks Susie - I thought that the pips added freshness/moistness to the shot too.

Hey Alan :)

Fresh - Now I really like this, a good bright fresh image, and Damn that tomato is cut well !!!

At first wasn't sure on the composition with the plate/knife clipped, but a couple of looks later I feel it works well, well lit shot, the red stands out beautifully on the white plate, and a sprig of green stuff too... what a touch, well set up mate (y)

Thanks DK - glad that you looked at tit more than once - the plate/knife are deliberately cropped like that ( rather than clipped:p) Have looked at a lot of food images and whole of plates are rarely shown

Love your idea for bitter and twisted! A lovely clear pint and a touch of humour, what more could anyone want?

That tomato looks really fresh - ripe enough to be a nice bright red, but still firm enough to cut cleanly and it really stands out against the white plate.

Thanks Elaine
Fresh - on theme my only crit would be not to have the plate clipped on the rhs off the frame.

Thanks Mandy - the plate/knife are deliberately cropped like that. I have looked at a lot of food images and whole of plates are rarely shown

Twisted: Man, that title "bitter and twisted" is absolute genius.....and the picture itself is superb too. Like everything about it; Stong composition, considered collection of props so carefully conposed, warm and comforting tones and my real favourite....the little splash of crumbs in the foreground - Now thats what you call attention to detail. Brilliant work Alan (y)

Fresh: Another really pleasing 'foodie' type pic from you. Says fresh to me, loud and clear. Choice of white plate, rich background and twig of basil give this a nice classical feel. Cant fault it on a technical front either - Bright, Sharp, Clean...... and Fresh. Good work (y)

Thanks Jason - food and beer - can't go wrong:thinking:

So mentioning the tomato seeds and the clipped plate won't help in my defence against not having OCD then Allan :p

Fresh- liking the composition, looks well lit, contrasting bit of greenery is good, actually don't mind the seeds but would have preferred (note I don't/ didn't think I had OCD! :p) to see the whole plate (y)

More fuel for the OCD fire :LOL: Thanks for kind comments

Hi Alan

Fresh.....nothing wrong with that , sharp , super whites , great color in the tom & leaves , well set out & nicely lit (y) My only minor niggle is the bg....but thats cos I'm not keen on dark wood....................

Ah but the wood does complement the plate and toms don't you think?

Nature - Nicely lit image with good use of the third. The stick compliments the flowers well.

Action - Certainly shows action by using it in triptych format. It might benefit from a boost of saturation though

Mono - Nicely converted although there's a bit of a white line around the statue. I was trying to think where and who this was until you said it was in Spain

Twisted - Super idea for the theme and execution on this one. Nice lighting and sharpness. The few crumbs add to it as well.

Fresh - Another nice shot. Good clean image and decent WB. The slices of tomato certainly make it look fresh as does the leaves?

Thanks for the catch up Peter and the constructive comments

Week 20 - Numbers

From April 1917 to Feb 1919, Dunham Massey Hall became the Stamford Military Hospital, one of 3,244 auxiliary hospitals created to treat the wounded of the First World War.
By the time that it closed. 282 soldiers had found sanctuary from the trenches and been treated here.
As a reflection of this, an art installation has been created in the grounds. It comprises 282 individually cast concrete cubes.

Numbers DSC_7405 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

That's lovely Alan, wonderful lighting, strong composition too. What is it though?
Comments for shape.

Number, again strong composition tells a story when viewed alongside your narrative.

Last edited:
That's lovely Alan, wonderful lighting, strong composition too. What is it though?
Comments for shape.

Number, again strong composition tells a story when viewed alongside your narrative.

Thanks Iain - shape is a parmesan (get me :rolleyes:) cheese grater
Nat Trust have recreated the hospital in the House as a marker to the FWW

really like shape, nice lighting and the black white contrast is great

Numbers is spot on theme and some nice history to it also

I love your take on numbers Alan. We were at Dunham Massey a couple of weeks ago and from a distance I first thought that they were preparing to do some building work with the concrete blocks! You've made them look far more interesting than I would have done :clap:

Hi Alan,
I love both of these.
The Shape photo is so clean and well presented. It took me a little while to see what it was, but then I saw it!
The Numbers is great - I like the concrete - that'd be a good one for textures too.

Shape, I like curves and the transition between the surface and the BG. The object seems to be glowing and I can't decide whether I like that or not. Looks like my kind of gadget.

Numbers, like this one. I like the bold cubes and how they don't align. I can't crit this, because of the story behind it.

Cheers.

chees graters fantastic, liking the white surface blurring into the black BG, the gradients of shading through the curves, the softness of the underneath, contrasting with the sharp detail in the shiny top section.

and the cubes, great composition and depth (y)

really like shape, nice lighting and the black white contrast is great

Numbers is spot on theme and some nice history to it also
Thanks Richard
I love your take on numbers Alan. We were at Dunham Massey a couple of weeks ago and from a distance I first thought that they were preparing to do some building work with the concrete blocks! You've made them look far more interesting than I would have done :clap:
Yes, Elaine, from a distance they do look like that - added to the fact that they had cordoned off a bit of the lawn with high vis tape. we enjoyed the poetry on the wooden panels by the lake too.
Hi Alan,
I love both of these.
The Shape photo is so clean and well presented. It took me a little while to see what it was, but then I saw it!
The Numbers is great - I like the concrete - that'd be a good one for textures too.
Thanks Simon. grater is simple but has a lovely sinuous shape i feel
Hi Alan ...I love the super clean lines of shape....you've made a cheese grater look like a work of art :)

Your explanation brings to life to your numbers shot....interesting shapes, texture and colour...I like it.
Thanks Susie
Shape, I like curves and the transition between the surface and the BG. The object seems to be glowing and I can't decide whether I like that or not. Looks like my kind of gadget.

Numbers, like this one. I like the bold cubes and how they don't align. I can't crit this, because of the story behind it.

Cheers.
Cheers Andy - those cubes and the whole b/g to the NT display are certainly food for thought - it does bring home to us how very fortunate and comfortable we are.
chees graters fantastic, liking the white surface blurring into the black BG, the gradients of shading through the curves, the softness of the underneath, contrasting with the sharp detail in the shiny top section.

and the cubes, great composition and depth (y)

Thanks Graham. I am pretty pleased with the grater, partic as it was so simple in the end

Hi Alan, two cracking images there, :clap:
Shape is an interesting shape indeed, I bet you have a nutmeg grater too :giggle::p
Numbers is nicely composed you have done well with the exposure very interesting piece of art not sure what the full thing looks like , will have to look online

Hi Alan, two cracking images there, :clap:
Shape is an interesting shape indeed, I bet you have a nutmeg grater too :giggle::p
Numbers is nicely composed you have done well with the exposure very interesting piece of art not sure what the full thing looks like , will have to look online
Thanks Allan
Nutmeg grater :thinking: Now there is something to look at next time at Boundary Mill

Dunham Massey art installation does not seem to feature on the NT website. To be honest, from a distance it is unimpressive and a good shot of it as a whole is quite difficult because of surroundings - but a worthwhile feature nonetheless.

:LOL: good fun image Alan, little lads face looks well lit, good colours and I quite like the oof greenery in the f/g (y)

Have a good couple of weeks off :)

Hi Alan, nice enough image of your grandchild? nothing wrong with a filler now and again,
have a good two weeks(y)

yeah - like it, tells a nice story too, with a few questions too, where's his parents, and why are you in the undergrowth taking photos of him!

Have a good holiday, well, the second week anyway!!

HI Alan
enjoy your break matey :)

Shape....another great product shot , well lit :clap:

Numbers....plays with my head......no crit as per Andy....tell's a story :clap:

Thanks Lynne
Hi Alan, nice enough image of your grandchild? nothing wrong with a filler now and again,
have a good two weeks(y)
Yes, the grandson at Dunham rose garden, flexing his muscles and determination
Hi Alan,
Shape - Like it the curves ad interest and the way you have merged the BG is great

Numbers - Only :clap:

Strong - Good to see your training them young enjoy your holiday

cheers
yeah - like it, tells a nice story too, with a few questions too, where's his parents, and why are you in the undergrowth taking photos of him!

Have a good holiday, well, the second week anyway!!

:D - parents at work in these economically strapped times with cheap child minders! Mmm ...i was nearly on my knees - hard to get up from there.

Hi Alan, texture i assume some type of wood though it looks a little like dried flesh, not that I dry a lot of flesh out you understand :shifty:
nice colour, texture and sharpness (y)

Back