weekly Superpippo's 52 in 2014 Week 52 - Support added and FINISHED

Liking all of rich, apart from the bright light at the top and what it does to the face of that high stack.

I'm not setting much richness there either, exactly 100 5p's is only £5.

Liking the angle and the reflection though

Works for me Alan, like the angle, great lighting and I like the fact that the piles are all uneven, doesn't matter that the coinage is of small denomination this could be a small fortune to someone. As said by others the shaft of light adds to the composition, great work!

Loud #2 for me. Cracking, bright and cheerful people with wonderful outfits. Well composed and nice sense of the day.

Rich, nice lilt and the light works for me. Rich, well, I guess if you have nowt this would make you rich ;)

Chests.

Hi Alan, Rich, why does the angle work so well :thinking:........I haven't the answer, but it does for me (y) the lighting, reflection are very nice (y)

:thinking:..........the only thing I can pull you up on is the coins not being stacked neat enough :p

And no,I haven't got OCD.......
No..........I haven't got OCD.......
.....I haven't got OCD.......
I haven't .........ok:p

I think it's a cracking shot, for a number of reasons:
- exposure and lighting are bang on for me. Shiny coins not the easiest things, and the glossy surface can also be tricky so you've done well to capture a full dynamic range there.
- care in arranging the coins without them being too perfect.
- love the diagonal shaft of light
- subtle reflection captured in frame perfectly

The only crit I'd offer is re: angle (already mentioned) and a bit of a silly one: unless those coins are gold bullion (or you're a kid with only pocket money), is that rich? ;)

But a lovely shot and even the angle is growing on me :)

Thanks Paul - agree angle may be a bit jaunty (altho I did want an angle) and the rich bit was just relative

:agree:

with Paul all the way ... except I don't care how little or much those lovely shiny coins are worth.
Thanks David

Hi Alan ....super shot...I really like the beam of light and the reflection...I like the random size of the money piles ...the angle works for me :)
Cheers Susie

Liking all of rich, apart from the bright light at the top and what it does to the face of that high stack.

I'm not setting much richness there either, exactly 100 5p's is only £5.

Liking the angle and the reflection though

Thanks Graham. The money is from the grandson's stash and he might think that he was rich. With the angle and shaft of light I was trying to portray the sheer lustre of silver

Works for me Alan, like the angle, great lighting and I like the fact that the piles are all uneven, doesn't matter that the coinage is of small denomination this could be a small fortune to someone. As said by others the shaft of light adds to the composition, great work!
Thx Carol

Rich - fits the theme, like the fact the coins are neatly stacked and all facing the right way up. I am not to keen on the angle at which the image is taken.
Thx Mandy

Loud #2 for me. Cracking, bright and cheerful people with wonderful outfits. Well composed and nice sense of the day.

Rich, nice lilt and the light works for me. Rich, well, I guess if you have nowt this would make you rich ;)

Chests.

Cheers (or is it chests:thinking:) Andy . I do think that the ukelele group is a bit special

Nice photo for Rich, Alan. I love the effect of the beam of light and there's some good clear detail in those 10 pence pieces.
Thx Simon

HI Allan , good image for Rich, the light shining through is good lots of detail the angle is weird but works
Thx Craig

Hi Alan, Rich, why does the angle work so well :thinking:........I haven't the answer, but it does for me (y) the lighting, reflection are very nice (y)

:thinking:..........the only thing I can pull you up on is the coins not being stacked neat enough :p

And no,I haven't got OCD.......
No..........I haven't got OCD.......
.....I haven't got OCD.......
I haven't .........ok:p

No, I don't think so either :rolleyes:

Hi Alan :)

Rich - Liking this, I do think it's a tad tight at the top, and I like the quirky angle, not sure if is a few degree too much, I like how you have lined up all the top coins and the lighting and shine is very nice, as is the reflection on the surface :)
Cheers DK - must admit to not have considered the top that much

Last edited:
Hi Alan, not to sure about the skill pic, he looks a little old to be a boy scout and he looks a little scared of what he is doing, caught a nice bit of movement in his chopper though :giggle:
people in the top right are a little distracting too.
Half I do like great colour and a perfect choice for the theme, not sure if I would like to see the piece lying on the floor in a little more focus, but I don't think it matters to much
lighting is really good considering it looks quite shiny

Hi Alan, not to sure about the skill pic, he looks a little old to be a boy scout and he looks a little scared of what he is doing, caught a nice bit of movement in his chopper though :giggle:
people in the top right are a little distracting too.
Half I do like great colour and a perfect choice for the theme, not sure if I would like to see the piece lying on the floor in a little more focus, but I don't think it matters to much
lighting is really good considering it looks quite shiny

Thanks Allan. Boy scout was a man, he was pretty carp at what he was doing and the whole scene was a bit incongruous, but he was demonstrating some skill :) These whole 40s revival weekends do have a little weirdness to them. Many people around and a bit tough to get rid of them all so converted to b&w and the vignette was supposed to disguise. Fail there then:D I should have borrowed one of the many camouflage nettings that were around.
Half - i had a few with diff dof and felt that this was the one that gave the best balance. But you may be right and now I wish that i had a bit more shadow in it. :confused:

Hi Alan ...he does look a bit freshly ironed and shiny shoe'd for a camper :) but that's not your fault ..maybe you could have cloned those people out at the top. The subject fits the theme perfectly, and the black and white is definitely a good choice to emphasize the era.

I really like the idea for half .... very original....super colours against the black and smashing colour in those eyes, they look almost luminous.

Hi, Alan, Skill, great legs. If I tried this I'd hack my leg of :)

Processing works well, although I think the vignette could be pulled back a little, mainly around the lower left and right on the grass. I like the inclusion of the tent, but the upper left is a little distracting. Nice motion blur in the axe. I really do like people who have any passion in life so it works for me.

Half, is it a seal for a cat? Nicely in focus with nice vivid colours. Lighting on the black BG is a little uneven and I feel it would work with just the lower half.

Good show.

Cheers.

Hi Alan, Skill :thinking: .......I'm struggling to see it miself but as an image its ok. Could definitely have done with getting rid of the people and the 21st century car in the top right.

Half- good lighting, focus point, dof, slight shadow all work well for me (y)

Hi Alan ...he does look a bit freshly ironed and shiny shoe'd for a camper :) but that's not your fault ..maybe you could have cloned those people out at the top. The subject fits the theme perfectly, and the black and white is definitely a good choice to emphasize the era.

I really like the idea for half .... very original....super colours against the black and smashing colour in those eyes, they look almost luminous.

Thanks Susie - cloning out those people seems to be a favourite!

Hi, Alan, Skill, great legs. If I tried this I'd hack my leg of :)

Processing works well, although I think the vignette could be pulled back a little, mainly around the lower left and right on the grass. I like the inclusion of the tent, but the upper left is a little distracting. Nice motion blur in the axe. I really do like people who have any passion in life so it works for me.

Half, is it a seal for a cat? Nicely in focus with nice vivid colours. Lighting on the black BG is a little uneven and I feel it would work with just the lower half.

Good show.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy. Constructive crit for Skill.
Half is part of a Russian doll set but cats instead of dolls!

Hi Alan, Skill :thinking: .......I'm struggling to see it miself but as an image its ok. Could definitely have done with getting rid of the people and the 21st century car in the top right.

Half- good lighting, focus point, dof, slight shadow all work well for me (y)

Thanks Phil. Just thought that he was demonstrating skill at chopping :)
Point taken re the 21st century bits

Week 31 - Architecture

Lytham Hall is a Grade I Listed building, and is on the English Heritage - Heritage At Risk Register. The estate contains many other buildings which are also Listed, including a Dovecote, Gatehouse and Stableyard. The buildings are set within 78 acres of Grade II Registered Historic Parkland.

The fine Palladian style house was commissioned by Sir Thomas Clifton in 1752 to replace a previous house on the site, the seat of the Clifton family. The house survives with little alteration today and is regarded as one of the best works of the eminent architect, John Carr of York, who spent ten years completing the design, which incorporated some of the earlier 16th century house, the remains of which are still visible in the Courtyard and West Wings.

Architectural - DSC_8089_edited-1 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Hi Alan well done on keeping up I am sadly lagging behind not only with comments but photographs too.:clap:

Skill - Mmmm not sure, like the B&W conversion and it is a skill to cut kindlers I know as I have to cut my own but I must say he looks a little uncomfortable and a little to pristine, but thats all been noted already.

Half - I like this, love the color I also like the dof it all works for me.

Architecture - Nice photograph, like the way the path leads your eye to the right then your drawn through the building down to the seat on the left. The trees frame the photograph either side and hold your attention squarely on the building, it's well exposed and sharp. :clap:

Promise - Yes well on theme for me although it feels like a snap......sorry, perhaps if you focused on the names using a shallow dof or if you could have isolated the statement "Their Name Liveth Forever" it might have worked better for me........:exit:

Hi Alan well done on keeping up I am sadly lagging behind not only with comments but photographs too.:clap:

Skill - Mmmm not sure, like the B&W conversion and it is a skill to cut kindlers I know as I have to cut my own but I must say he looks a little uncomfortable and a little to pristine, but thats all been noted already.

Half - I like this, love the color I also like the dof it all works for me.

Architecture - Nice photograph, like the way the path leads your eye to the right then your drawn through the building down to the seat on the left. The trees frame the photograph either side and hold your attention squarely on the building, it's well exposed and sharp. :clap:

Promise - Yes well on theme for me although it feels like a snap......sorry, perhaps if you focused on the names using a shallow dof or if you could have isolated the statement "Their Name Liveth Forever" it might have worked better for me........:exit:
Thanks for the detailed comments. Regarding Promise, I considered the points that you have made at the time. I wanted the central element to be the 'promise' but to include more of the monument and to frame that with the blue sky and the tree as elements of what these poor souls had forsaken and the shadow across the words as a comment on the dark side of their sacrifice. Maybe that does not come over strongly enough.

Thanks for the detailed comments. Regarding Promise, I considered the points that you have made at the time. I wanted the central element to be the 'promise' but to include more of the monument and to frame that with the blue sky and the tree as elements of what these poor souls had forsaken and the shadow across the words as a comment on the dark side of their sacrifice. Maybe that does not come over strongly enough.

Sorry for me perhaps not, I was not taking into consideration all those elements. Now that you have pointed out and explained your thinking behind the photograph it makes sense.

No problem. Its enough for me that you take the trouble to give constructive criticism. I would add a smiley but can't get them on this tablet!

Well I would have done the same re smiley but on phone so hence no lightheartedness. Great big Smiley!! Lol

Hi Alan ...excellent choice for architecture...it sounds as if the house has really stood the test of time. I like the angle ...the trees add to the timeless feel of it.

I was glad you gave the explanation for Promise...it really gives it another dimension when you read your reasoning behind it .... very thoughtfully done, an impressive composition and a very good choice for the theme.

Hi Alan... that's quite a catch up well done. Now I know what it's like to have to work your way through critting a few photos at once ;)

Skill: not a fan of the vignette to be honest. The conversion is probably in keeping with the event but I find it all a bit "midtone" for me - I prefer contrasty B&W! Nice motion on the axe head though. Composition maybe a touch central for me... sorry to pick!
Half: nice image, good application of the theme and a very solid shot. Technically all there, composition works too. Only crit is a haloing around the objects (especially top left) where the black background is lightened. But not enough to detract from a really good job :)
Architecture: lovely house and a well taken shot of it. I see a path leading up to it and wonder if that might have allowed a bit of a leading line to draw you to it? No mistaking what the subject is though ;) Shadows are very strong so I'm guessing this is an afternoon shot... might have benefited from a take earlier or later in the day and kinder light? Or convert to B&W (nice and contrasty of course!)?
Promise: lovely take and good sentiment around the theme. Difficult one to convey without text but I think it works... Thought provoking.

Hi Alan, nice shot of the house for architecture though the sun might have been better on the front of the building, still nicely framed with the trees.
really nice explanation for the promise shot and i like the low angle you have taken it from, it says it all really :clap:

Architecture - Great composition and a beautiful old house. I thought it was Warrington Town Hall at first glance, but it's obviously a very classic style of architecture that must have been popular in the 18th century.

Promise - Your explanation makes it a very moving image.

Hi, architecture, as said the trees do frame the building but don't add to it, IMO. The LHS tree obscures part o the building and I tend to like, to see the whole building. Maybe it wasn't possible??

Promise, a poignant and timely submission. Again, IMO, the trees take away from the photograph. And again, as above, it may not have been possible to get a better photograph.

Cheers.

Afternoon Alan :)

Skill - For some I guess it is a skill albeit not the hardest to learn (good hand/eye coordination dependant of course) image wise good exposure with the large white tent and black shorts, a good bit of det6ail on both, theme wise still ticks the box :)

Half - Now that is very nice, super detail, good colours and bang on theme this time, I like how this is layed out too (y)

Architecture - A very striking building, I too would have liked to see this head on or a tighter crop taking out the trees to the left, the light is different on the two aspects and is handled nicely, still some good detail in the brickwork on both :)

Promise - Liking the low angle shooting up, but the tree distracts a bit too much, maybe a narrower DoF or different angle possible Alan ??

Skill - nicely processed and he does seem to be tickling at it a bit though :)

Half - works well enough, liking the DOF that puts the rear half OOF, really emphgasising the sharpness on the front section. Is the black a bit purpley though (or is it my eyes)

Architecture - Fine country house there - verticals all vertical and the sky blue and the whites white. What more do you need.

Promise - You obviously had in mind your link to the theme, and that's enough for me without any narrative or explanaition. The low POV is very suitable here and I don;t think it needs anything fancy. the simple treatment here is perfect.

Catch up time........

Rich - I like the varying heights of coins and jaunty angle. The shiny white surface works well as does the light coming from behind.

Skill - Pity you can't see the scout's face but the B&W works nicely. The use of a slight vignette helps draw the eye to the subject

Half - Great composition and shallow DoF. Nice and colourful without it being too in your face

Architecture - A really good architectural photo of the hall. I feel the lighting has helped as the whites haven't blown at all. Nice shot.

Promise - A very poignant take on the theme. Using the angle looking up gives it a decent depth to the image. Even the mottled light on the memorial helps give it a natural feel.

Hi Alan ...excellent choice for architecture...it sounds as if the house has really stood the test of time. I like the angle ...the trees add to the timeless feel of it.

I was glad you gave the explanation for Promise...it really gives it another dimension when you read your reasoning behind it .... very thoughtfully done, an impressive composition and a very good choice for the theme.

Thanks Susie
Hi Alan... that's quite a catch up well done. Now I know what it's like to have to work your way through critting a few photos at once ;)

Skill: not a fan of the vignette to be honest. The conversion is probably in keeping with the event but I find it all a bit "midtone" for me - I prefer contrasty B&W! Nice motion on the axe head though. Composition maybe a touch central for me... sorry to pick!
Half: nice image, good application of the theme and a very solid shot. Technically all there, composition works too. Only crit is a haloing around the objects (especially top left) where the black background is lightened. But not enough to detract from a really good job :)
Architecture: lovely house and a well taken shot of it. I see a path leading up to it and wonder if that might have allowed a bit of a leading line to draw you to it? No mistaking what the subject is though ;) Shadows are very strong so I'm guessing this is an afternoon shot... might have benefited from a take earlier or later in the day and kinder light? Or convert to B&W (nice and contrasty of course!)?
Promise: lovely take and good sentiment around the theme. Difficult one to convey without text but I think it works... Thought provoking.

Thx Paul. The vignette on Skill., to be honest, was my attempt to reduce the impact of the extraneous people etc.
Architecture - yes an afternoon shot - never been there in the morning - grounds open only at 10am so may be a wait until later in the year.

Hi Alan, nice shot of the house for architecture though the sun might have been better on the front of the building, still nicely framed with the trees.
really nice explanation for the promise shot and i like the low angle you have taken it from, it says it all really :clap:

Thx Allan - yes maybe a morning walk is required for the house.

Architecture - Great composition and a beautiful old house. I thought it was Warrington Town Hall at first glance, but it's obviously a very classic style of architecture that must have been popular in the 18th century.

Promise - Your explanation makes it a very moving image.
Thx Elaine

Hi, architecture, as said the trees do frame the building but don't add to it, IMO. The LHS tree obscures part o the building and I tend to like, to see the whole building. Maybe it wasn't possible??

Promise, a poignant and timely submission. Again, IMO, the trees take away from the photograph. And again, as above, it may not have been possible to get a better photograph.

Cheers.

Thx Andy - sometimes it is difficult to leave out trees but in both of these i thought that they added rather than detracted, but that is just a personal pov

Afternoon Alan :)

Skill - For some I guess it is a skill albeit not the hardest to learn (good hand/eye coordination dependant of course) image wise good exposure with the large white tent and black shorts, a good bit of det6ail on both, theme wise still ticks the box :)

Half - Now that is very nice, super detail, good colours and bang on theme this time, I like how this is layed out too (y)

Architecture - A very striking building, I too would have liked to see this head on or a tighter crop taking out the trees to the left, the light is different on the two aspects and is handled nicely, still some good detail in the brickwork on both :)

Promise - Liking the low angle shooting up, but the tree distracts a bit too much, maybe a narrower DoF or different angle possible Alan ??
Thx DK - similar comments to Andy.

Half - works well enough, liking the DOF that puts the rear half OOF, really emphgasising the sharpness on the front section. Is the black a bit purpley though (or is it my eyes)

Architecture - Fine country house there - verticals all vertical and the sky blue and the whites white. What more do you need.

Promise - You obviously had in mind your link to the theme, and that's enough for me without any narrative or explanaition. The low POV is very suitable here and I don;t think it needs anything fancy. the simple treatment here is perfect.

Tickling - yes he was a bit delicate:)
Andy has commented on the b/g in Half and on my copy I have darkened it a little , but not posted.
Thanks

Catch up time........

Rich - I like the varying heights of coins and jaunty angle. The shiny white surface works well as does the light coming from behind.

Skill - Pity you can't see the scout's face but the B&W works nicely. The use of a slight vignette helps draw the eye to the subject

Half - Great composition and shallow DoF. Nice and colourful without it being too in your face

Architecture - A really good architectural photo of the hall. I feel the lighting has helped as the whites haven't blown at all. Nice shot.

Promise - A very poignant take on the theme. Using the angle looking up gives it a decent depth to the image. Even the mottled light on the memorial helps give it a natural feel.

Thanks for the catch up Peter. Kind comments.
I see that you have caught up on everyone - must have been a mega typing job :eek:

saw this on Flickr this morning and loved it then, as I do now. (y)

Cracking colour on the needles, and with the glut of airshow pics there's been, the blue sky makes it very much like a red arrows formation flying effect. (I'm presuming that is an actual sky..:thinking:)

Super sharp, as they would have to be, and well composed to boot. :)

Back