weekly Superpippo's 52 in 2014 Week 52 - Support added and FINISHED

Hiya Alan, balance is excellent, great reflections, good setting (y), the breakwater looks like giant nuts :D

I would have never guessed it wasn't perch on the wall but on a pole, have you had to clone it out or is the pole actually at the other side and its the angle you've shot it at that makes it appear on the wall?

Change- I think I'd like to see a colour version tbh, loads of interest in the cranes, detail looks good viewed large, good take on the theme (y)

Balance - I have no idea if it's achieved in PS, but it's great! Really well taken shot and the simple blue sky behind works well because of the reflection in the ball. Very strange "sculpture" but well captured and perfectly on theme. Well done!

Change - I get the connection here (it could even be change of passengers). Well captured and good conversion (for me, who likes high contrast B&W)... it might be lacking a bit of "oomph" but it's still a very good capture and technically a great job.

Hi Alan

Balance......perfect positioning ( well spotted as an opportunity that's different for the theme as well ) ,well exposed,love the green detail on the breakwater wall ...all in all , lovely (y) The only thing that has me confused is the reflection in the globe.....there's evidence of a cracking sky in it ( clouds etc) but no clouds in the sky above the ball ? I suspect it's something to do with focal length or DOF or something similarly technical that will blow my mind:exit:

Change.....yup , got the connection straight away, super mono conversion, plenty of detail to keep you moving around the frame (y) Not sure I could have resisted the temptation to do as SC with that big red bear though :LOL:

The bear is great I wonder why its up there :thinking:

Apparently
"The bear, a sculpture created by Denver-based artist Lawrence Argent, is the first glimpse of the 2,980-piece, $5.2m art collection themed 'What Makes Life Worth Living' that has been curated for Quantum of the Seas by International Corporate Art.

The bear, titled 'From Afar,' is comprised of 1,340 stainless steel triangles, weighs approximately eight tons and is intended to incite wonder among travelers, encouraging them to admire the bear from afar and interact with it close up."

The ship arrived the day before we got there :( and there is a short video here -

Last edited:
Hiya Alan, balance is excellent, great reflections, good setting (y), the breakwater looks like giant nuts :D

I would have never guessed it wasn't perch on the wall but on a pole, have you had to clone it out or is the pole actually at the other side and its the angle you've shot it at that makes it appear on the wall?

Change- I think I'd like to see a colour version tbh, loads of interest in the cranes, detail looks good viewed large, good take on the theme (y)

Thanks Phil
The mirror ball is all down to the angle and pov. It is set on the prom, 4.5 tonne with 46000 mirrors. getting on to the beach at the right time is the key to this shot.
Here it is taken from road http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...-p-bd-and-finished.458875/page-4#post-5429763

Change - the SOOC shot is here:

P1050300 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Poor light so had to opt for the conversion

Balance - I have no idea if it's achieved in PS, but it's great! Really well taken shot and the simple blue sky behind works well because of the reflection in the ball. Very strange "sculpture" but well captured and perfectly on theme. Well done!

Change - I get the connection here (it could even be change of passengers). Well captured and good conversion (for me, who likes high contrast B&W)... it might be lacking a bit of "oomph" but it's still a very good capture and technically a great job.

Thanks Paul - see above for details of the mirror ball.
I know you like high contrast in B&W and this was what i tried best to achieve

Hi Alan

Balance......perfect positioning ( well spotted as an opportunity that's different for the theme as well ) ,well exposed,love the green detail on the breakwater wall ...all in all , lovely (y) The only thing that has me confused is the reflection in the globe.....there's evidence of a cracking sky in it ( clouds etc) but no clouds in the sky above the ball ? I suspect it's something to do with focal length or DOF or something similarly technical that will blow my mind:exit:

Change.....yup , got the connection straight away, super mono conversion, plenty of detail to keep you moving around the frame (y) Not sure I could have resisted the temptation to do as SC with that big red bear though :LOL:

Thanks Lynne - see above for more details on the shots. There is even a Flickr group - https://www.flickr.com/groups/1406392@N24/

Re the clouds, there were plenty above and to the right over the sea and it is the curvature of the ball that gives that effect. It also alters the appearance of the sea wall seen to good effect here :

DSC_1286 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

It is quite photogenic in all sorts of weather and from different positions.

I love this shiny ball ... great fun. And I think I like this second shot more ... simpler than the first, I like the way that wall and what "nuts" we see are all pretty much the same colour.

Hey Alan :)

Cut Edit/Crop - Now that's more like it for me mate, much more the centre of the action (y)

Balance - Oooooo really liking that mate, the clouds in the ball really help it stand out, also liking the different junctures of the sea wall, breaks the shot really well - love it :clap:

Change - A powerful high key shot, plenty going on, and really like all the cranes, the B&W was a good choice going by the original :)

Hmmmm Chrome really seems to be playing up on font sizes lately :thinking:

Cut - having grown up as a Lancashire Lass, no explanation needed for me for the interpretation of the word "cut" :) I like the contrast of the bright reds against the dark water and actually prefer the original uncropped version with the bigger reflection of the willow tree.

Balance - Love the reflections in the orb and the way that the bright blue of the sky "balances" the darkness of the dark shapes at the bottom.

Change - plenty going on without it looking too busy - well done! The mono conversion gives it a nice vintage feel and adds to the impression of change. :clap:

Hello I hope all is well in your life I must apologise for not having popped in for a few weeks, some great work from you I have missed. I think every one has already covered all the comments and crit I would of mentioned.

Apologies it looks like I'm a few weeks behind in commenting

Fall - #2 for me. It really shows the energy and volume of water pouring over the top. The composition works for me and you've also captured a nice green colour of the water.

Communicate - #1 That's a nice capture and one that I feel there's a story behind why the girl is there. You've mentioned the yellow tones but I don't have a problem with that as it gives it a more natural feel to it. #2 sums up modern life. We sit next to each other but we might as well be in different buildings or even countries.

Dark - I really like this one. You've done the subject justice. The fact the memorial is wet is an added bonus as is the rose but I feel it's the tone of the black that makes this a winner.

Big - I wonder where you've been LOL. It certainly shouts a big city in the USA. You've also captured this at the right time of day when the lights in the buildings are coming on but there's still light in the sky. Great detail in the buildings as well.

Cut - Good capture and I see you've listened to comments about cropping the bottom as the edit is better. I think you could even go a bit further but it works as it is

Balance - I definitely recognise that big ball on Blackpool front. We used to live a few streets inland from this. I taken a picture of it before now but it never seemed to work for me but this one definitely does. It's the fact that it does exactly what the theme is asking for which is balance. Exposure is good as well between the bright sky and the sea defences

Change - There's loads of detail in the image which keeps the attention and helps show the scale of the main subject which is one massive ship.

Hey Alan :)

Cut Edit/Crop - Now that's more like it for me mate, much more the centre of the action (y)

Balance - Oooooo really liking that mate, the clouds in the ball really help it stand out, also liking the different junctures of the sea wall, breaks the shot really well - love it :clap:

Change - A powerful high key shot, plenty going on, and really like all the cranes, the B&W was a good choice going by the original :)

Hmmmm Chrome really seems to be playing up on font sizes lately :thinking:

Thanks for the helpful comments DK

Cut - having grown up as a Lancashire Lass, no explanation needed for me for the interpretation of the word "cut" :) I like the contrast of the bright reds against the dark water and actually prefer the original uncropped version with the bigger reflection of the willow tree.

Balance - Love the reflections in the orb and the way that the bright blue of the sky "balances" the darkness of the dark shapes at the bottom.

Change - plenty going on without it looking too busy - well done! The mono conversion gives it a nice vintage feel and adds to the impression of change. :clap:

Thanks Elaine - pleased that you like the uncropped version of Cut.

Hello I hope all is well in your life I must apologise for not having popped in for a few weeks, some great work from you I have missed. I think every one has already covered all the comments and crit I would of mentioned.

Thanks Mandy

Apologies it looks like I'm a few weeks behind in commenting

Fall - #2 for me. It really shows the energy and volume of water pouring over the top. The composition works for me and you've also captured a nice green colour of the water.

Communicate - #1 That's a nice capture and one that I feel there's a story behind why the girl is there. You've mentioned the yellow tones but I don't have a problem with that as it gives it a more natural feel to it. #2 sums up modern life. We sit next to each other but we might as well be in different buildings or even countries.

Dark - I really like this one. You've done the subject justice. The fact the memorial is wet is an added bonus as is the rose but I feel it's the tone of the black that makes this a winner.

Big - I wonder where you've been LOL. It certainly shouts a big city in the USA. You've also captured this at the right time of day when the lights in the buildings are coming on but there's still light in the sky. Great detail in the buildings as well.

Cut - Good capture and I see you've listened to comments about cropping the bottom as the edit is better. I think you could even go a bit further but it works as it is

Balance - I definitely recognise that big ball on Blackpool front. We used to live a few streets inland from this. I taken a picture of it before now but it never seemed to work for me but this one definitely does. It's the fact that it does exactly what the theme is asking for which is balance. Exposure is good as well between the bright sky and the sea defences

Change - There's loads of detail in the image which keeps the attention and helps show the scale of the main subject which is one massive ship.

Thanks for the encouragement Peter.
On Cut, i feel that there are merits in both approaches. I must admit that my first intention was to try to get a shot of a canal and the boat added interest - but other have seen it more as a shot of a boat and oars cutting thro the water. that shows the merit of listening to different views.
The mirror ball is fascinating and I have a few carp shots of it too, but worth the perseverance - and it is always there for a revisit!

Grow... Now that's dedication, carefully cultivating mould for the last two weeks since the theme was drawn.

Glad that I've not only had my lunch (just) but that I had an apple and banana as my fruit today.

Colour, placement in frame, background, exposure, reflection are beyond reproach, and the image makes my nose curl up each time I look back up at it, but is strangely fascinating. Love the colour of the orange against the black.

Grow... Now that's dedication, carefully cultivating mould for the last two weeks since the theme was drawn.

Glad that I've not only had my lunch (just) but that I had an apple and banana as my fruit today.

Colour, placement in frame, background, exposure, reflection are beyond reproach, and the image makes my nose curl up each time I look back up at it, but is strangely fascinating. Love the colour of the orange against the black.
Thanks Graham
It was in the recycling for a few days and I pulled it out for further 'cultivation' but I pushed my luck as about 3 days ago Mrs SP said that the smell was bringing tears to her eyes. (must admit that she was right:)

Week 44 - Live

Not too sure about this. Difficulties in taking it - thro glass, lighting, movement, high ISO. I shots of others but they are of the tropical colourful type and i feel that this fits the theme most aptly. To me there is a real feeling of 'live' and a sense of foreboding/danger. Perhaps i have overthought it :confused:

a bit out on the focus on the mouth too.

Live - DSC_1419 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

If it was bad three days ago........ :eek:

And live... Given the difficulties you must have known would have faced you here with the glass and the dark, you could have well been forgiven for leaving the camera in the car. :)

The fact you got anything is a result, this in the circumstances is great. :clap: focus may not be 100% on the mouth but it's not far off. Its certainly sharper than the tail and just highlights the focus on the eye. :)

Lovely colours, both in the fish and the green of the algae (?) and blue in the water behind him.

ISO 6400 looking really good too (y)

Hi Alan, the orange is a great idea not something we see or rather photograph everyday, nicely lit and the orange shadow below grounds it really well :clap:

that looks like one mean fish you have done well through the glass and they are tricky to get in focus, high ISO has obviously added grain but it's not too bad, well done for trying (y)

Grow, hope you ate the prop :)

Nice idea, well composed and I like the orange reflection in the surface.

Live, decent effort considering it was photographed though glass.

Cheers.

Yuck. But a great shot for grow, well handled lighting and the only negative crit I'd offer is I'd prefer to see all of the orange in focus even though I understand why you've chosen a shallower DOF to really just hone in on the "growth".

For Live you've delivered a stonking shot given the conditions you were presumably working in. Really well taken, well processed and perfect composition as well. :clap: all round this week!

Hi Alan ...lots of lovely texture and colour in your 'Grow' shot ....and a super black background. The mouldy bit looks like the textured surface of a planet in space !

I like the choice for Live too.....yes he does look very foreboding ....a great angle and colour.

Hi Alan, the orange is a great idea not something we see or rather photograph everyday, nicely lit and the orange shadow below grounds it really well :clap:

that looks like one mean fish you have done well through the glass and they are tricky to get in focus, high ISO has obviously added grain but it's not too bad, well done for trying (y)

Thx Allan

Grow, hope you ate the prop :)

Nice idea, well composed and I like the orange reflection in the surface.

Live, decent effort considering it was photographed though glass.

Cheers.

Thx Andy

Yuck. But a great shot for grow, well handled lighting and the only negative crit I'd offer is I'd prefer to see all of the orange in focus even though I understand why you've chosen a shallower DOF to really just hone in on the "growth".

For Live you've delivered a stonking shot given the conditions you were presumably working in. Really well taken, well processed and perfect composition as well. :clap: all round this week!

Thx Paul. i think that you are right re the focus/dof on the orange now that I have looked again.

Hi Alan ...lots of lovely texture and colour in your 'Grow' shot ....and a super black background. The mouldy bit looks like the textured surface of a planet in space !

I like the choice for Live too.....yes he does look very foreboding ....a great angle and colour.

Thx Susie - just in time for the reshooting of The Clangers :)

Hi Alan :)

Grow - Ewwwee thats horrible :D

The mould looks very well established, I'd like to see focus/DoF either deeper or further down the fruit as I think the best detail is right towards the top, the colours are really good, and I like the reflection on the surface, great idea (y)

Live - I have tried fish through glass a couple of times and always struggled, I think you have done pretty well here, the detail in the scales is very good, a shame the focus dips off towards the mouth, but where the main detail is it's very effective and I really like the angle :)

Grow your own penicillin? Yeuch! Well photographed though with a nice black bg and just enough orange reflection off the surface.

Live - can almost hear the music from Jaws as he emerges from the shadows! Great detail on the fins and scales and a lovely grumpy expression - is it a cichlid?

Grow ... nice one for the theme. Nice lighting & BG but a shame not to see a bit more mould detail.

Live ... Nice POV and not bad detail considering ....

Hi Allan

eeeeuwwwwww.....yucky yucky but spot on for the theme ! fab black bg , well lit & I like the hint of orange color on the base to ground it (y) You really are dedicated to the cause , aren't you :eek:

Opps, forgot fishy.....good result considering you were shooting through glass :)

Hi Alan :)

Grow - Ewwwee thats horrible :D

The mould looks very well established, I'd like to see focus/DoF either deeper or further down the fruit as I think the best detail is right towards the top, the colours are really good, and I like the reflection on the surface, great idea (y)

Live - I have tried fish through glass a couple of times and always struggled, I think you have done pretty well here, the detail in the scales is very good, a shame the focus dips off towards the mouth, but where the main detail is it's very effective and I really like the angle :)

Thx DK. Horrible sometimes works.:)

Grow your own penicillin? Yeuch! Well photographed though with a nice black bg and just enough orange reflection off the surface.

Live - can almost hear the music from Jaws as he emerges from the shadows! Great detail on the fins and scales and a lovely grumpy expression - is it a cichlid?

Thx Elaine - pleased that you got the Jaws feeling as I did when it was coming towards me. Sorry but no idea of the species. Seem to remember that it was in a tank of sharks and rays.

Hi Allan

eeeeuwwwwww.....yucky yucky but spot on for the theme ! fab black bg , well lit & I like the hint of orange color on the base to ground it (y) You really are dedicated to the cause , aren't you :eek:

Opps, forgot fishy.....good result considering you were shooting through glass :)

Thx Lynne

Week 46 - Smooth Curves

The sea nuts are back :)
Fairly dull day so I decided to see what I could pull out of the RAW file.
This is my first attempt at Lightroom cos I usually shoot in JPEG and I don't think that I have got it wholly right. There is a funny white line on the top of the wall and the sky may be a bit green in places. But I am happy with the general effect over the sooc shot.

Smooth by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Alan... a couple of great shots there.

First - brill idea for the theme! It's a complicated object to light - you've got that lovely texture on the black grip areas needing quite directional light parallel to its surface and then lots of shiny metal. Oh, and a lens and lots of cylinders! Not easy in the slightest and I think your lighting has worked really, really well. I think the composition is strong: nicely positioned in the frame and the angle of camera/POV is good for me. I like the dark background... it might have been easier to light with a lot of diffuse light bouncing around a white background, but you've made a more striking image with the darker backdrop.

Possibly two tiny suggestions/comments: a touch of shadow lifting on the black parts of the lens and, separately, I'm not sure the shadow onto the background adds anything: I'd probably prefer to see it missed out (although not easy to achieve with all of the other lighting challenges mentioned). But still a great shot! (y)

The "nuts" shot for Smooth is good... loads of good curves. I actually rather like the processing / look you've applied. Sure, there are a few little glitches that you've mentioned (possibly over clarity?) but the look of the sea and nuts is very stark, which works for me. It looked deliberately treated, rather than someone who's ramped the sliders too far without care/thought... so well done! Great front-back sharpness too, and I really like the composition. (y)

loving the camera, looks in excellent condition, very profeshunally shot too. Enough detail in the black bits for me, think the texture on the body is great, nothing is too shiny, and there is a beautiful "ching" of light above the lens. Well positioned in the frame and the tiny splash of green, yellow and red pops nicely.

Sea wall is nice too, curves away into the distance and up and over your position. The green of the seaweed is a welcome addition to break up the grey, blue and sandy colurs elsewhere.

I got LR earlier in the year... and love it. Agree with Paul, could be over clarity, or over sharpening that tends to give white lines or halos at high contrast interesctions. Also as ISO is getting up a (little) bit here, sharpening / clarity works less well on a "noisy" image.

I generally try and keep in mind, if in doubt, go with half of what you think looks good. Also, I try to view the image at 100%, or 1:1 when sharpeneing / adding clarity to really see whats happening. The adjustment brush is also useful if you only want to add it to a certain area. (y)

Last edited:
Hi Alan, the camera shot is great, love the lighting on it you have done well with all those reflective surfaces, excellent work :clap: and it looks brand new

sea wall shot is another cracker plenty of curves, love the curve on the top of the right hand wall,
its worthwhile sticking with Lightroom started using it myself about 3 months ago takes a while to get used to still learning its possibilities,
there are some good tutorials on you tube, especially for the hard of thinking like me :)

First, cracking camera, nice low key lighting and the white text on the lens really pops. A little star burst as well :)

Smooth, like it as well. The perspective works well as does the, as Paul said, front to back sharpness. I did try a few crops, but could not improve on yours.

Cheers.

Back